[Discussion] T-MOBILE OP8 Update to 10.5.17/20. Signal Service loss..

Search This thread

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
Guess I'm finally with you guys on missing lots of calls and texts. I am also getting the "mobile network not available" when trying to make calls with full signal too though.

Tmobile testing is a joke.

D

Deleted member 11041951

My input here, mine seems to have issue only in lower signal areas from what I can tell, especially when switching to WiFi and back. I put the WiFi calling preference to WiFi first, that seems to have helped. I also swapped out my 2-year old SIM to the new one that came with the OnePlus. Haven't seen much of an issue in the past few days. Just a suggestion to try for those with issue, because I definitely feel I didn't notice this issue at all until the latest update, but alas, T-Mobile "experts" have no reported issues with this (they say).

I am still completely stock and have been getting this update pushed to me daily but, I have not downloaded or installed it because I have been skeptical about the 5G, since my phone keeps reverting back to 4G. Upon reading this thread, I think I need to at least update my SIM card before accepting this update but, I may just hold back and not update until I see some better results/reviews.

I have already received my unlock token from OnePlus but, I have not unlocked my phone, yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200916-153840.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-153840.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20200916-153850.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-153850.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 114

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
I am still completely stock and have been getting this update pushed to me daily but, I have not downloaded or installed it because I have been skeptical about the 5G, since my phone keeps reverting back to 4G. Upon reading this thread, I think I need to at least update my SIM card before accepting this update but, I may just hold back and not update until I see some better results/reviews.

I have already received my unlock token from OnePlus but, I have not unlocked my phone, yet.

Smart choice. Tmo 5g is a joke anyway. Wait till the next update and you should be good

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
The 5G coverage here on Long Island (NY) is extensive. I'm pulling up to 300mb/s down and 80mb/s up. Damn good speeds. Far more than you'd ever need on your cellphone.

You're one of the lucky ones, I only managed 120 ONCE but now it's back to 25 to 30, which honestly is good enough but not near the hype of 5g.

Dallas fort worth area here. They must be refarming here still because a local channel was using the 600mhz a couple years ago

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
You're one of the lucky ones, I only managed 120 ONCE but now it's back to 25 to 30, which honestly is good enough but not near the hype of 5g.

Dallas fort worth area here. They must be refarming here still because a local channel was using the 600mhz a couple years ago

It really just depends on location. If you're in an area that t mobile has upgraded, you'll have great 5g service, on the other hand in areas that haven't been upgraded, the 5g service is not usually that great. The big deal will be when your area gets n41 upgrades, the n71 upgrades are good for coverage but not always great for speed. I happen to be in an area they upgraded n71 most of the place and 5g is pretty consistent around me. Speed wise, not always great but also knew not to expect great speeds on n71. So far though, I've only found 1 area with n41 and I'm a bit disappointed with the speeds even though they were about 400 Mbps, 60 MHz of n41 can do much better than that but t mobile backhaul on the site isn't great. Also, I personally wouldn't update to SA yet. I have SA running on my tmo op8 and op8 pro and can only make calls that automatically end after 21 seconds and can't receive calls at all. So, I've disabled SA and force 5g in NSA mode unless I'm doing testing. Even with the new r15 sim cards that they just released, still have the same issues with calls.

Edit: Added some screenshots. First one is of n71 actually having proper backhaul yet the 2nd screenshot is n41 running no where close to optimal because the backhaul on the cell site isn't that great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200916-220630.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-220630.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20200911-150014.jpg
    Screenshot_20200911-150014.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

knightsh

Jun 4, 2012
Is there a trick or tip to send MMS messages? Probably 90% of the time my phone just sits on "sending" forever. Doesn't matter if on WiFi or just data, toggling airplane mode, etc. REALLY annoying.

D

Deleted member 11041951

Is there a trick or tip to send MMS messages? Probably 90% of the time my phone just sits on "sending" forever. Doesn't matter if on WiFi or just data, toggling airplane mode, etc. REALLY annoying.

How's the signal in your area? That sounds a bit extreme. I'd contact the carrier if I were in that position.

Furious Froyo

May 29, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S21
What's the benefit of a R15 sim card?

I'll just answer my own question: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience#whatyouneed

To note, you need the R15 SIM to take advantage/things to work right. One should have came in the box with your device.
Unfortunately, it's already been confirmed the R15 SIM doesn't resolve the issue.

Which messaging app do you use?

knightsh

Jun 4, 2012
I only use Google apps where possible. Phone, Messages, etc. I'm on T-Mobile. Seems the only way I can send pictures is from within the Photos app. Click on my picture and share. If I try and add from within the Messages app it never sends.

D

Deleted member 11041951

As an update, I had the disconnecting from network issue crop up again. Now, I 100% used the SIM that was in the box with the OnePlus 5G, and guess what, the SIM isn't the right one. Doesn't say R15 on the front, starts with TM. Called T-Mobile, they are expedite shipping me an R15 (2020) SIM. We'll see how this does. Basically, carefully check your SIM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting I am only getting 25-30 Mbps download on standalone and get 120 - 170 Mbps download on LTE+NR

That's to be expected. SA means you're only using 1 band of NR (usually N71). It doesn't aggregate with LTE in standalone mode, therefore speeds will be less. The benefits is that since it's only connecting to 5G, the ping will be less (my ping is around 15ms on SA while 25-30ms on NSA) and signal for NR goes further as it's not connecting to LTE.

I'm the opposite, these are the speeds with good reception, somewhere in between Wilsonville and Aurora Oregon.

You're speedtest are from using NSA mode (NR + LTE) not SA mode. Most of the time you'll connect to NSA instead of SA for now unless you manually lock on to SA in settings, although I don't recommend doing that if it's your main phone as you won't be able to receive or make phone calls. Generally the max on N71 SA will be around 50mbps if on 10mhz and 100mbps if on 20mhz. Also ping times will be in the teens usually 12-18ms ping times on SA.

I think when the bootloader is unlocked on the T-Mobile variants you wont get the update and if you do it will fail to install. At least that's the way it was on my 6T. BUt that seemed so much more simple to convert to international so I just never worried about it.

Whats also lame is the lack of download support for the T-Mobile device. I really dont like that but as you said, MSM back to original and update from there. Thats always quick, easy and fun.

Yeah, to get the update I ended up having to use MSM tool and then update and re-root my phone. That was fun since MSM broke fingerprint reader (although knowing it was possible I used the readback function of MSM to save my persist partition). Thankfully fastboot flashing my persist fixed my fingerprint afterwards. I really hate that t mobile version gets rid of local upgrade option, don't understand why OnePlus agreed to remove that feature for t mobile.

Yeah , had to do the same, I would try to make a phone call and will state no signal, with all bars full. Also ppl kept calling me and going to VM.

Sounds like you were locked on to 5G SA. I've been doing testing and when locked on to 5G SA I wouldn't receive calls, but when I tried to make calls it would drop back to NSA or LTE to do the call over voLTE without an issue. If I manually selected NR only in settings, I couldn't make or receive calls, although that's expected as there is no voNR currently (not until next year devices using the x60 modem).

How do you know when you're on standalone?

Only way to know is if you manually force it in settings or use Network Signal Guru (although root is required as well as a license). Other Android apps aren't currently showing NR information. If you want to force it go in dialer and type:
    Code:
    *#*#4636#*#*
    Then change to NR only for preferred network type. Again, I don't recommend doing so if it's your main device as in NR only mode you won't be able to make or receive calls.
    How would I tell what band I'm on? I only know of a few apps for LTE that tells me which one I'm on but haven't been able to find an app for 5G that will tell me.

There's only 1 app that shows NR band information currently and that's Network Signal Guru and requires root and a license. I believe on Android 11 more apps should be able to get 5g NR band information without root, but not 100% sure. I do know that now that SA is out, cell mapper is working on display NR information as well. Here's some screenshots from the app I mentioned earlier.

Edit: Also if you look at these screenshots N71 in SA mode gets better throughout than N71 in NSA mode. Don't think it's 30% better, but still an improvement.
    It didn't break my wifi calling on my op8

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Just curious, do you normally use Wi-Fi calling or did you just turn it on to test? When I turn mine on, it works fine for a while. It usually breaks after an hour or two and it's pretty consistently reproducible for me. My phone is in my basement where it has excellent Wi-Fi signal but the cellular signal is average and frequently switches between 5G and 4G on its own. The last time I tried this I turned it on and made a test call and it was working fine. I set it on the charger for 2 hours and came back to try to make a call. That's when I recorded the video of the problem in my above post.
    Got the new update, but the 5g data signal has been acting up as well as the calls and text. Are any of you having similar issues ?
    Same here, done get text for 2 hours before I realized it. Switched back to lte
    Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem. I have check in the system settings if there is an update for my t-mobile oneplus 8 5g and it always says it is up to date, thing is I am still on the June security patch with the 10.5.10 IN55CB build number. I am not up to date and it will not allow me to update to the current august security patch. What is going on with this phone???

Are you on T-Mobile and have a T-Mobile sim in the phone?

The day this update released mine said it was up to date (Had my AT&T sim in it) popped my T-Mobile sim in and the update was found and started downloading.