Discussion: The Sprint OnePlus 7 Pro 5G Bootloader is Locked

Search This thread
Apr 25, 2017
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 5T
Or, if we could get our hands on the OPS for the Sprint OP7.

Just get in touch with OnePlus support saying you got some issue like phone rebooting by itself when you try to turn it on and they should arrange a remote session.

There will be a link to MSM tool package in the confirmation email and L2 technician will input the password once you will be connected to him (so try to get a keylogger as well so that it can be reused later on).

Be however aware that MSM tool will wipe all your data so take backups beforehand.

jthein1989

Dec 6, 2010
Barberton
Just get in touch with OnePlus support saying you got some issue like phone rebooting by itself when you try to turn it on and they should arrange a remote session.

There will be a link to MSM tool package in the confirmation email and L2 technician will input the password once you will be connected to him (so try to get a keylogger as well so that it can be reused later on).

Be however aware that MSM tool will wipe all your data so take backups beforehand.

That is an excellent idea! I had no idea they did that!

Edit: Do they use TeamViewer or what?

Last edited:

Philosophy757

Nov 10, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
I got in touch with Sprint support and the guy tried for 30 mins but could not enable the option and told me to connect with one plus support to get it enabled. Will try to connect with them today.
I'm on with them now. Will update shortly.

Okay, so basically I told them what you listed above. Contacted Sprint to get OEM unlock and they suggested I contact OnePlus Support directly. He then asked me if the phone was paid in full. I told him it is on payments and I am trying to have it unlocked so that I can flash custom roms on the phone and the following is the response that I received:

Malcom, we will have to escalate the case to our team and we will get back to you in 24-48 hours with the best possible answer.

So I will follow up when I get their email.

*Followed up with them today and received the following:

Malocm, I could see that the case is already escalated and we are waiting for a response, I kindly request you to wait for another 24 hours as the time frame given was 24-48 hours.

I jumped the gun as I thought it was a 24 hour follow up.

Last edited:

JWnSC

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Do we have a stock Sprint rom for this phone? I have the phone on order. I'm willing to flash some stuff to try and get root. I'm guessing we can flash the international rom, enable oem unlock, unlock bl, flash recovery, from recovery flash the dumped sprint stock rom ( need to figure out the best way to do this..) just brainstorming.. But it might work. I'll give it a go after about a week with the phone. I'm new to the one+ devices. Need to get somewhat familiar with it before flashing anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhutton

mhutton

Oct 18, 2010
Atlanta
Do we have a stock Sprint rom for this phone? I have the phone on order. I'm willing to flash some stuff to try and get root. I'm guessing we can flash the international rom, enable oem unlock, unlock bl, flash recovery, from recovery flash the dumped sprint stock rom ( need to figure out the best way to do this..) just brainstorming.. But it might work. I'll give it a go after about a week with the phone. I'm new to the one+ devices. Need to get somewhat familiar with it before flashing anything.

I'm with you there. Willing to help test if we have any amazing devs out there that could help us out.

deepak02093

Nov 14, 2013
delhi
I was thinking of flashing European 5g rom which has this option enabled but in update there is no option of local upgrade :confused: . I will see if i can somehow flash it through fastboot.

Philosophy757

Nov 10, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Didn't hear anything from OnePlus today. Will try and get in touch with them tomorrow. At least they SEEM like they are trying to do something instead of an out right no. Also willing to test anything as well to help build the community for the device. I know a lot of people hate on Sprint but I personally have no problem with them and look forward to the 5G rollout with the merger.

*Reached out to OnePlus support today and they are still waiting to hear back from Sprint. I have a feeling that Sprint will not budge on the issue but we will see.

Last edited:

JWnSC

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Sprint pissed me off for the last time. They wouldn't let me activate my phone under the current plan so switching to TMobile.. They tried to charge me for premium plan because the phone is 5g, but no 5g in my area.
Good luck, i hope you Sprint guys get bootloader unlocked.

ohnoeskurtis

May 16, 2012
Sprint pissed me off for the last time. They wouldn't let me activate my phone under the current plan so switching to TMobile.. They tried to charge me for premium plan because the phone is 5g, but no 5g in my area.
Good luck, i hope you Sprint guys get bootloader unlocked.

I've been using my phone for 3 weeks now. When I ordered it online through the chat with a csr I asked about having to change my plan thinking I'd need to like when 4g rolled out. And I did not have to, I'm still on an older unlimited plan from a few years ago. It's closest to their middle tier unlimited plan they have now. And activating it when I got it was the most easiest and painless experience yet for me.

I'm holding off from upgrading to the premium plan to see if root access can be gained for the hotspot. The 50gb doesn't go very far these days. I was able to connect it to my TV with the USB C to HDMI cables I had for my LG V30+ So that was pretty awesome to see work.

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
I've been using my phone for 3 weeks now. When I ordered it online through the chat with a csr I asked about having to change my plan thinking I'd need to like when 4g rolled out. And I did not have to, I'm still on an older unlimited plan from a few years ago. It's closest to their middle tier unlimited plan they have now. And activating it when I got it was the most easiest and painless experience yet for me.

I'm holding off from upgrading to the premium plan to see if root access can be gained for the hotspot. The 50gb doesn't go very far these days. I was able to connect it to my TV with the USB C to HDMI cables I had for my LG V30+ So that was pretty awesome to see work.

Yikes. 50gb? If my carrier told me I can only use 50gb in hotspot mode, I'd cancel and tell them where to stick their 50gb. T-Mobile gives me unlimited data + unlimited hotspot. The only place my data is limited is my tablet but that's only because it's a 5th line and doesn't count as part of my 4 lines of unlimited everything, so when its 5gb runs out, I turn off mobile data and put my OnePlus 7 Pro in hotspot mode and let my tablet leech data from my phone.

I use a tablet and a laptop on my hotspot when I'm away from home so 50gb would be gone in like 2 days, with 26-29 days left in the month with no data. I couldn't handle that. I've got way too much stuff to do on the average day to be without internet access (irony mode: a lot of it is writing articles and giving webinars on bushcraft and minimalist survival, teaching people how to survive indefinitely with little more than a pocket folding saw and a $15 knife)

Sent from my OnePlus7Pro using XDA Labs

JWnSC

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach

Yeah, i was pretty ticked off. Been a Sprint user for a long time. Was paying 80$ a month for 2 phones unlimited everything. With the premium plan it would have been 80$ for just one phone with useless stuff i wouldn't use. Tried to activate service from phone, didn't work. I called the Sprint cancellation department to see if they could help but they wouldn't budge. The guy on the phone recommended i turn the one plus in and get a note 10 plus instead so I'd keep my existing plan. After using the phone for a bit i couldn't do that. I figured if i had to pay more anyways, why be locked down? So, i switched my main phone to T-Mobile and ordered a one plus from them. Wife is still with Sprint but won't be after the end of this month

kapitalk

Jan 10, 2013
Yikes. 50gb? If my carrier told me I can only use 50gb in hotspot mode, I'd cancel and tell them where to stick their 50gb. T-Mobile gives me unlimited data + unlimited hotspot. The only place my data is limited is my tablet but that's only because it's a 5th line and doesn't count as part of my 4 lines of unlimited everything, so when its 5gb runs out, I turn off mobile data and put my OnePlus 7 Pro in hotspot mode and let my tablet leech data from my phone.

I use a tablet and a laptop on my hotspot when I'm away from home so 50gb would be gone in like 2 days, with 26-29 days left in the month with no data. I couldn't handle that. I've got way too much stuff to do on the average day to be without internet access (irony mode: a lot of it is writing articles and giving webinars on bushcraft and minimalist survival, teaching people how to survive indefinitely with little more than a pocket folding saw and a $15 knife)

T-Mobiles hotspot plan is in the past with max 3G speeds on the standard T-Mobile ONE plan. Sprint is 50gb of 4G then gets throttled down. T-Mobile you can upgrade to a max of 20gb of 4G. Sprint supports up to 100gb of 4G. This is based off of current plans. Unless you're on some special grandfathered plan, Sprint has the better hotspot plan... Service itself on the other hand is a different story, depending where you live.

justibasa

Feb 6, 2011
Elk Ridge, UT
So on the T-Mobile version of the 6T and 7 Pro, to enable OEM unlock you have to get a SIM unlock from T-Mobile. After getting the sim unlock you have to apply for a bootloader unlock code from OnePlus. More than likely this is the same situation thru Sprint. Someone is going to have to ask a Sprint CSR for a SIM unlock. Here are the instructions for the 6T, which is also the exact same for the 7 Pro.
https://support.oneplus.com/app/ans...-bootloader-for-oneplus-6t-(t-mobile-edition)

NOSudo-Vitali

Jul 18, 2019
Houston
I'm going to have to look into this further than I thought I'm a little disappointed I didn't see this when I got the phone 3 days ago. If anybody needs a test subject let me know what I can do to help. this phone will be being returned before the 30 days is up if we cant get it unlocked...will be switching to either T-Mobile or buying the phone outright from OnePlus I'm not sure if I can do that by the end of the 30 days but that would be ideal.

Reactions: reignlight

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
T-Mobiles hotspot plan is in the past with max 3G speeds on the standard T-Mobile ONE plan. Sprint is 50gb of 4G then gets throttled down. T-Mobile you can upgrade to a max of 20gb of 4G. Sprint supports up to 100gb of 4G. This is based off of current plans. Unless you're on some special grandfathered plan, Sprint has the better hotspot plan... Service itself on the other hand is a different story, depending where you live.

Not sure if it's because I'm not using a stock ROM or what, but my download speed while using hotspot mode is 23.62Mbps (though upload is a pretty garbage 8.39Mbps) and I'm definably not on any older plan. Switched from Sprint because after several attempts to get the bill down with them, it was still too high so I switched to a 4-line T-Mobile ONE plan about 2 years ago. Don't know if it's the ROM or switching my hotspot to 5GHz, but the lowest I've seen it go is around 2Mbps at peak times in a heavily populated area when I've already used 200GB or more for the month, that's when they will throttle me in favor of subscribers with limited plans, or low data usage. Which is fine, seems only fair to me.

mlaws90

May 23, 2012
Chicago, IL
Following this....But I'll probably end up just waiting till my contract is up so I can get away from Sprint.

T-Mobile sounds good by the comments here - arent they merging, how will that work?

They had to refund over $400 they ****ed up the bill so bad, and my account still lists devices I don't have anymore.

So well see, I may go for a Pixel 4. OnePlus also has the 7T and 7T Pro coming. If I wanted something I couldn't mod the Razer Phone 2 is only $400 right now lol, not my style, but it has the specs.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yo peepz,
    I only read a few pages, didnt need to read same thing over and over, but anyhow, I feel all your pains when it comes to locked/unlocked bootloaders and so on.

I am one of the dudes that helped time over time cracking the T-mo edition of the 6T and 7Pro and recently sorta helped with the 7T(Which I dont have),
    Grayed out OEM Unlock, <-- This is normal on all Carrier Edition devices, Once your SIM unlocked, that option becomes OPEN again.........

Now yes its possible to convert to global, by patching 3 parts of the OPS file that came with the msmdownload too, (Which I know is available for you now).
    But problem here is this, Unless you can unlock SIM, converting will work, but OEM will still be grayed out and you wont be able to unlock bootloader..
    But not all is lost there.. because we have a guy that has nearly found ways to fix that.........

So all isnt lost for you all, just you all dont really have someone working on your Sprint edition as we worked out butts off on the T-mobile edition.....
    If you need help and or want help, then let me know. and ill see about getting you into our telegram channel.. I didnt start the channel, so all invites gota go through someone else first.

but im sure he wont mind helping............

Also, the 7T now protects its msmdownload tool with vmprotect v3, which makes it very hard to do anything with that program now.
    but ways around that too.....

Well thats all I gota say for now.........
    Not allowed to share how at the moment, but if you're determined and patient enough, it's possible.

As I said, don't sell them just yet.

Notes:
    Upgrading to Global 10 causes crashes initially but can eventually be made to boot.
    -No touch
    -No signal/wifi
    -no vibration
    -no camera
    -no notification slider

Converting to European (EE) works alright, it still has difficulty getting booted, with Qualcomm dump crashes, I've found with both this and 10 they required multiple flashes, once it's booting, everything works except:
    -Must flash Sprint modem.img and enter x ispsn APN in order to receive signal.
    -VoLTE

I've also tried LOS 16 Pie and it seems the only major thing needing work is going to be mobile radio, everything else seemed fine.

Again, I don't have permission to share HOW to do this at the moment, I just want to let Sprint and EE 5G users know they aren't completely SoL.
    UPDATE: The Bootloader can now be unlocked! For more information please refer to the link below.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7-pro/how-to/bootloader-unlock-sprint-oneplus-7-pro-t4042145?nocache=1 .

I just purchased the Sprint OnePlus 7 Pro 5g (Model#: GM1925 Firmware Version: 9.5.12.GM25CC). I absolutely love the phone to but there is one huge issue with it. Sprint has disabled the OEM Unlock setting in developer options making it impossible to unlock the Bootloader and root the device!

The reason I am starting this thread is
    1) Warn perspective buyers that the Bootloader cannot currently be unlocked
    2) See if the XDA community has any ideas on how to Unlock the Bootloader without enabling OEM unlock.

Update: 12/22/2019
    I have recently seen some comments like this:
    "If you have the device SIM unlocked, you are then eligible to request the token to bootloader unlock your device from OnePlus. This process takes about a week. You then flash the token and it will then allow you to enable OEM unlocking in Developer Options and then unlock the bootloader."
    THIS IS 100% FALSE. Both myself and "Whoareyou" have tried this and it does not work. According to OnePlus, "the Sprint version of the OnePlus 7 Pro 5g doesn't support oem unlock". T-Mobile's bootloader unlock procedure will work on our device.
    Hi Eliminater74, I am definitely interested in getting help with this! That would be awesome if we could get this bootloader unlocked! I am def not a developer, just like to play around with different rooms, but if you need anything from me to get this rolling please let me know. Thanks!

I dont have any dev experience but do have linux experience and the device and also am willing to help in any way.

We need more testers that have the Sprint 7Pro 5G, PM me if your interested, and ill send you a link to find us at.............
    I do ignore all dumb messages and so on, So peepz plz dont flood my msgs.....

I am only really talking to these 2 here, if they want to help out with testing to plz send me a pm and ill send them a link.
    Otherwise all others plz dont pm me............
    GOOD NEWS! I got QFIL working. We can now flash individual partitions!

---------- Post added at 05:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

PSA: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS-FLASH INTERNATIONAL NON-5G ROM. Sahara will fail in the process.

For anybody who has already tried, do not fear. The phone only stops responding to data from the Sahara Protocol from MSM, it does not brick. To restart the phone remove the USB cable, hold vol up, vol down, and power. The phone will restart without adverse effects.

Just managed to grab the Firehose binary as well. Gonna try a couple things and see if they work in favor of an unlocked bootloader. Will keep ya posted.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone