• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Discussion] Treble on V20 (Its possible with some help)

Search This thread

Mysteriouslog6

Aug 21, 2018
LG V20
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Hello, since Android 12 beta has released recently, i get to know that we can use the GSI image to update “any” (in terms of project treble supported) device to a newer android version without the need of building the rom per device.

So that i started to explore on a few xda threads trying to get Treble on LG V20. After digging into it, i updated my TWRP to the latest image (official TWRP 3.5.2_9 H990 which is the Official TWRP build commit based on Pheonix591's twrp build), then i saw that the /vendor shows up on mount, but not on either Wipe or Backup, which Phoenix591’s reddit post stated that this means there’s no vendor partition on it.

I followed this thread, since my TWRP is not modded (as the link in your comment does not work) I typed two sgdisk commands which the Treble command does, after a reboot, i saw a Vendor partition in Backup showed 0mb, Vendor partition DOES NOT appears on Wipe.

Next, as what i saw from @x86cpu ’s comment, he said he repartitioned and created the /vendor partition of 512mb by resizing the /system partition, unfortunately i am new to partitioning the Android device, i haven’t figured out how i can do that.

I tried to do sgdisk —print /dev/block/mmcblk0, it showed a single 64gb MBR FAT32 Partition instead of showing the system partition, it seems to be showing the micro sd card instead of the system volume, so i tried to unplug the sd card and reboot, now /dev/block/mmcblk0 is not found. I also tried to list info of /dev/block/sdf which we have wrote the partition name “vendor” to the 5th parnum of /sdf, it shows that the partition is only 4kb.

Since i have a H990N (Hong Kong version of the H990) i used the Dirty Santa patch to get TWRP installed on the device, that means the device’s bootloader is NOT fully unlocked, so the device might have difference between official unlocked device like the VS995.

Is there anything i could try ?
The lg v20 uses a ufs chip so the "sgdisk —print /dev/block/mmcblk" command will show the sdcard you should be doing "sgdisk —print /dev/block/sdx" replace the x with a-f

ROMSG

Aug 6, 2018
One more thing, I actually misunderstood the partition yesterday that i said it was 0mb, in fact, the backup page shows 0mb is a normal behaviour as the vendor partition is empty, i didnt check how big is the partition size, but I believe it should be 100mb after running the command “Treble”. Anyways, thanks for pointing out the tools which makes it 512mb now !
In the tool you need an 800mb patition and a treble rom which does not exist yet those device trees can build one.

ROMSG

Aug 6, 2018
Treble trees are ready. I'm currently attempting a build. Could you re upload the treble twrp?

Reactions: timba123

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
I have magisk rooted H918 with TWRP. Is this still being worked on? Would love to try to get pixel 3,4,5 A12 gsi working? I have flashed many gsi before on my moto g7 power. It would be so worth it to be able to use gsi on lg v20!

Last edited:

ROMSG

Aug 6, 2018
I have magisk rooted H918 with TWRP. Is this still being worked on? Would love to try to get pixel 3,4,5 A12 gsi working? I have flashed many gsi before on my moto g7 power. It would be so worth it to be able to use gsi on lg v20!
I’m still working on it however have hit some roadblocks I’m currently looking for help on just a few last few issues

Reactions: timba123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so heres the full story (It's short):
    So my V20 bricked itself for no reason (I was on stock for a few days unrooted no unlock nothing)
    and while going through xda I stumbled upon this:https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...eble-lineageos-15-1-treble-oneplus-3-t3830455
    Treble on the oneplus 3 and 3t. Why this one you might ask
    well it is because our V20 and the Oneplus are similar.
    So here is what somebody who is willing to help with a h990ds or H990 (It wont brick your device don't worry)needs to do:
    1.First install this modded twrp here is the Link (Made from Pheonix591's twrp): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBrjWnKqRFFsQ-By_ElE3pW3LbWsg9sx/view?usp=sharing
    2. Boot into the TWRP and go to advanced options then select terminal
    Now type Treble and wait for a few seconds (This command is taken from the trebel port for oneplus 3 @simonsh)
    Next reboot to whatever rom you are using(If it doesn't boot or bootloops something went wrong retry from step 2)
    After it boots successfully go back to twrp and check in wipe and advanced wipe for Vendor

Now here is the problem the partition is only about 100 megabytes which we cant really use for treble it is too small.
    So I am pinging a person who might be able to help us :
    @runningnak3d I need your help in making the partition larger as it is again only about 100megabytes

Edit: So Runningnak3d has stopped developing for the V20 :crying: and I had just remembered that @x86cpu might be able to help so pinging him, we want as much people as possible.
    Ok so heres the full story (It's short):
    So my V20 bricked itself for no reason (I was on stock for a few days unrooted no unlock nothing)
    and while going through xda I stumbled upon this:https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...eble-lineageos-15-1-treble-oneplus-3-t3830455
    Treble on the oneplus 3 and 3t. Why this one you might ask
    well it is because our V20 and the Oneplus are similar.
    So here is what somebody who is willing to help with a h990ds or H990 (It wont brick your device don't worry)needs to do:
    1.First install this modded twrp here is the Link (Made from Pheonix591's twrp): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBrjWnKqRFFsQ-By_ElE3pW3LbWsg9sx/view?usp=sharing
    2. Boot into the TWRP and go to advanced options then select terminal
    Now type Treble and wait for a few seconds (This command is taken from the trebel port for oneplus 3 @simonsh)
    Next reboot to whatever rom you are using(If it doesn't boot or bootloops something went wrong retry from step 2)
    After it boots successfully go back to twrp and check in wipe and advanced wipe for Vendor

Now here is the problem the partition is only about 100 megabytes which we cant really use for treble it is too small.
    So I am pinging a person who might be able to help us :
    @runningnak3d I need your help in making the partition larger as it is again only about 100megabytes

Edit: So Runningnak3d has stopped developing for the V20 :crying: and I had just remembered that @x86cpu might be able to help so pinging him, we want as much people as possible.
    Hello, since Android 12 beta has released recently, i get to know that we can use the GSI image to update “any” (in terms of project treble supported) device to a newer android version without the need of building the rom per device.

So that i started to explore on a few xda threads trying to get Treble on LG V20. After digging into it, i updated my TWRP to the latest image (official TWRP 3.5.2_9 H990 which is the Official TWRP build commit based on Pheonix591's twrp build), then i saw that the /vendor shows up on mount, but not on either Wipe or Backup, which Phoenix591’s reddit post stated that this means there’s no vendor partition on it.

I followed this thread, since my TWRP is not modded (as the link in your comment does not work) I typed two sgdisk commands which the Treble command does, after a reboot, i saw a Vendor partition in Backup showed 0mb, Vendor partition DOES NOT appears on Wipe.

Next, as what i saw from @x86cpu ’s comment, he said he repartitioned and created the /vendor partition of 512mb by resizing the /system partition, unfortunately i am new to partitioning the Android device, i haven’t figured out how i can do that.

I tried to do sgdisk —print /dev/block/mmcblk0, it showed a single 64gb MBR FAT32 Partition instead of showing the system partition, it seems to be showing the micro sd card instead of the system volume, so i tried to unplug the sd card and reboot, now /dev/block/mmcblk0 is not found. I also tried to list info of /dev/block/sdf which we have wrote the partition name “vendor” to the 5th parnum of /sdf, it shows that the partition is only 4kb.

Since i have a H990N (Hong Kong version of the H990) i used the Dirty Santa patch to get TWRP installed on the device, that means the device’s bootloader is NOT fully unlocked, so the device might have difference between official unlocked device like the VS995.

So in regards to partitioning you have to build a ROM with that partiton table in place for it too work and I have gotten treble to work (this was on myt h830) however no gsi will boot. I had to use this tool to add vender in order to flash my treble rom. I used the 800MB option in order for vender to show up.
    Here are some 15.1 device tress I made for tbe VS995. I used the changes from x86cpu

Treble trees are ready. I'm currently attempting a build. Could you re upload the treble twrp?
    I’m still working on it however have hit some roadblocks I’m currently looking for help on just a few last few issues