• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Discussion] [Unofficial] BMW I-Bus App

Search This thread

Gunfiyld

Aug 2, 2021
Anyone else experiencieng issues with the latest firmware update (7.2.0.8)? After installing the update last Friday on my '99 E39 M5 I get error "No supported USB interface available" so pretty much none of the Ibus apps functions can be used.
The error started immidiately after the firmware update and no issues before it. DSP still works though...

OzzE38

Jun 25, 2021
No issues, however, I am using a mounted Samsung Galaxy tablet on the dash rather than a radio head-unit so I get "No supported USB interface available" all the time until I plug the Resler interface Goto USB lead into the tablet.
Sometimes it will not read and I have to restart/reboot the tablet.
Have you updated to version 2.2.0.3 of the IBusApp software itself?

Gunfiyld

Aug 2, 2021
I have the latest IBusApp software aswell. I have soldered the module's connections to the on-board-monitor's blue plug (X18801) which is not recommended in the IBus wiki, but seems to be only senseble solution when your OE radio is in the trunk... As far as I understand all the recommended connection points assume your OE radio is in the center console.
Does anyone have better solutions for connecting the IBus module when OE radio is in the trunk than the blue plug?

OzzE38

Jun 25, 2021
I have the latest IBusApp software aswell. I have soldered the module's connections to the on-board-monitor's blue plug (X18801) which is not recommended in the IBus wiki, but seems to be only senseble solution when your OE radio is in the trunk... As far as I understand all the recommended connection points assume your OE radio is in the center console.
Does anyone have better solutions for connecting the IBus module when OE radio is in the trunk than the blue plug?
plus this video:

Reactions: blue_racer

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
Anyone else experiencieng issues with the latest firmware update (7.2.0.8)? After installing the update last Friday on my '99 E39 M5 I get error "No supported USB interface available" so pretty much none of the Ibus apps functions can be used.
The error started immidiately after the firmware update and no issues before it. DSP still works though...
I just updated to the latest version and had this issue too. All I had to do was select the Resler Module in the IBus App General settings.
Note that this is with the new orange Resler Module (which I'm loving so far!).

Gunfiyld

Aug 2, 2021
I just updated to the latest version and had this issue too. All I had to do was select the Resler Module in the IBus App General settings.
Note that this is with the new orange Resler Module (which I'm loving so far!).
Thank you, this solved the issue and everything is working again! 👍 I also have the new Resler Module

@OzzE38 Cheers also for the videos. The latter one was actually what I did use as my reference when insalling the iBus and I have it connected the same way as in the video.

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
Glad it worked for you too.
Why do you still have the OE radio in the trunk?? It is not needed with the Resler.
Check this post of mine about the Resler wiring (although some of the info is getting a little dated, look through that thread for some good install and wiring tips): https://www.m5board.com/threads/xtrons-pb7639bp-android-head-unit-installation.586378/post-7506298

Gunfiyld

Aug 2, 2021
Glad it worked for you too.
Why do you still have the OE radio in the trunk?? It is not needed with the Resler.
Check this post of mine about the Resler wiring (although some of the info is getting a little dated, look through that thread for some good install and wiring tips): https://www.m5board.com/threads/xtrons-pb7639bp-android-head-unit-installation.586378/post-7506298
Sorry for being unclear - I don't have the OE radio connected.
What I meant was that all the recommended connection points in the Wiki's instrucions seem to work only if your OE radio and thus the radio Quadlock connector are in the centre console.
On the other hand I have Eonon radio, so the 6m extension cable might be a bit different to Xtrons'. With Eonon's extension cable atleast the canbus connector is also at the trunk end of the cable, so I don't know if there is "iBus wire" coming to the other end of the extension cable where the Resler module would be convenient to connect.

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
Sorry for being unclear - I don't have the OE radio connected.
What I meant was that all the recommended connection points in the Wiki's instrucions seem to work only if your OE radio and thus the radio Quadlock connector are in the centre console.
On the other hand I have Eonon radio, so the 6m extension cable might be a bit different to Xtrons'. With Eonon's extension cable atleast the canbus connector is also at the trunk end of the cable, so I don't know if there is "iBus wire" coming to the other end of the extension cable where the Resler module would be convenient to connect.
I think the Eonon and Xtrons 6m harness is the same, so the Ibus connections should be the same at the head unit too. If you look at the pictures in the last link in my last post, It's the 2 quadlock connector with 4 wires. Though I would make sure before connecting your Resler.

Luauboy

Aug 16, 2021
Thanks for this thread!

If there are any questions regarding the I-BUS app, please feel free to ask me as support of it. :highfive:

So - i had my Audio team install the Avant AVIN4 and the I-Bus App / Module into my e53. Once licensed - it seemed to work just fine. However, now when i start the vehicle - i get the NO USB DEVICE FOUND error? Nothing has changed with the module or App ( AFAIK ) - however, I did install the BlackVue Camera and 4G LTE mat. Also, disconnected / reconnected a USB device ( flash drive ) into one of my 2 USB wires running into the glovebox? Help!!!

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
So - i had my Audio team install the Avant AVIN4 and the I-Bus App / Module into my e53. Once licensed - it seemed to work just fine. However, now when i start the vehicle - i get the NO USB DEVICE FOUND error? Nothing has changed with the module or App ( AFAIK ) - however, I did install the BlackVue Camera and 4G LTE mat. Also, disconnected / reconnected a USB device ( flash drive ) into one of my 2 USB wires running into the glovebox? Help!!!

As I mentioned above:

"I just updated to the latest version and had this issue too. All I had to do was select the Resler Module in the IBus App General settings.
Note that this is with the new orange Resler Module (which I'm loving so far!)."

HatManSan

Jan 5, 2010
After installing the latest apk, every single time I start the app, my wipers run once, three times with around 20 seconds between wipes. Uninstall the app, and it doesn't happen. Reinstall, wipers run. Currently uninstalled and no issues. Anyone? Cheers

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
After installing the latest apk, every single time I start the app, my wipers run once, three times with around 20 seconds between wipes. Uninstall the app, and it doesn't happen. Reinstall, wipers run. Currently uninstalled and no issues. Anyone? Cheers
Hmmm, that's a strange one. As far as I know, there's nothing to do with the wipers within the Ibus App. This didn't happen before the update? Have you recently done anything else to the car like wiring or coding? What model is the car? Does it have the rain and light sensor?

HatManSan

Jan 5, 2010
Hi. No nothing. All i did was upgrade to the latest version. Will go back to the previous version shortly. I did reinstall the latest and the first thing that happened when the app started was the wipers cycled three times with a minute. Uninstalled, nothing. Will reinstall the previous as soon as and post back. Cheers

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
Hi. No nothing. All i did was upgrade to the latest version. Will go back to the previous version shortly. I did reinstall the latest and the first thing that happened when the app started was the wipers cycled three times with a minute. Uninstalled, nothing. Will reinstall the previous as soon as and post back. Cheers
@blue_racer

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Hi, this refers to the latest App version 2.2.0.3 since, we've changed the way we recognize the USB device.
Please just go to general I-BUS app settings => "USB device" and select the plugged USB device again.
Thanks

Reactions: whitewolf8111

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Hi, sounds like there was a wrong central lock telegram set. Please open I-BUS app settings => central lock => central lock telegram and try another one fitting to your car e.g. E39.

Reactions: whitewolf8111

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I think it would be good to create a discussion thread here on XDA for the amazing BMW I-Bus App.
    This app is a requirement for anyone with a BMW factory DSP amp, and a must have for any BMW fanatics!

For those that don't know;
    "The I-BUS app is an Android application that serves to display your on-board computer on an Android device and integrates many comfort / coding functions in your vehicle." - And so much more!

49737308316_1ebe1e0332_s.jpg
    ON-BOARD COMPUTER
    Reproduce the original on-board computer completely.
    In addition, there are many other values to display that were previously not possible.
    49736768393_00286461eb_s.jpg
    LIGHT CONTROL
    You have always missed comfort blinking and cornering lights in your vehicle?
    The app can do that and much more.
    49736768418_4f57d78817_o.png
    CODING
    Code your light module, PDC and DSP in the vehicle by yourself.
    The range of functions varies depending on year of manufacture and vehicle.
    49736768363_2a9752005e_s.jpg
    PDC
    Use the app to display the exact distance and a visualization of the original parking system.
    49737308366_2c582b36cf_s.jpg
    INFORMATION
    View information about your vehicle, such as service data, coded units and language and VIN.
    49736768403_d9cfab69cb_s.jpg
    DSP
    Use the I-BUS app to control the original digital sound processor without losing settings or sound quality.

49736768783_403ae978c8_z.jpg
    49737640227_3ca7ed972c_z.jpg

49736768523_d86188fc1d_z.jpg
    49737308621_935b69f8c7_z.jpg

49737308531_e82d2b3f25_z.jpg
    49737640252_c5d769cb82_z.jpg

49737640322_ab013955d2_z.jpg
    49736768638_2ca3c3d05e_z.jpg

First, lets start with all the valuable links I have accumulated:
    I-Bus App HomePage - Downloads & General Info
    I-Bus App FAQ - A good place to start
    I-Bus App Wiki - A good read with a lot of useful info
    Official I-Bus App Forum - The main I-Bus App forum
    Original I-Bus App Thread - E39-Forum (German forum)
    Xtrons Wiki - The main brand recommend by I-Bus App
    BMW Head Unit Install Guide - A great thread with a lot of very useful install info that I helped with.
    Resler USB Interface for I-Bus App - The ONLY Recommended USB to I-Bus Interface. - Resler USB Interface purchase page
    I-Bus App Shop - THE place to buy App licenses and head unit install accessories​

My recommend setup:
    Head Unit - Xtrons or Avin ( I use the Xtrons in my sig)
    MCU - At least v3.30 (v3.40 might be even better; still testing) I will not link any MCU's as there is risk involved in updating the MCU. Do your research first!
    ROM - Hal9k Mod V4
    Launcher - FCC Car Launcher - For me, this is the best launcher and works well with the I-Bus App.​

Steering Wheel Controls (SWC):
    I know this has been an issue for some people and SWC's not working.
    **If you're having issues with your SWC's or can't get any keycodes to pull up, the first thing you need to do is:

In the I-Bus App, Go to Settings; Other; And make sure BOTH the 2nd and 3rd options down are checked and enabled for "Steering wheel button control (Enable control of music and volume with steering wheel buttons.(without CAN bus box)" and the "PX6/PX5/PX3 device (steering wheel control head units with PX5/PX3 boards)".
    None of my keys, except volume (because the MCU controls volume), worked at all without these options enabled.

All of my steering wheel keys for my 01 540i (E39) with I-Bus, ARE recognized here and have the following codes (use MTCD-Tools (Download Link) to obtain Keycodes):
    Code:
    Volume up: 273
    Volume down: 281
    Next: 300
    Last: 299
    Voice: 316
    R/T: 256

A little SWC background:
    A couple years ago, I had set out on a mission to get my steering wheel controls on my 01 BMW 540i (E39) with I-Bus controls, to work with my Xtrons PX5 4Gb RAM, 32Gb ROM. Nothing I tried would read my controls, or most importantly, allow me to remap them. I finally came across MTCD-Tools (Download Link) and MTCE-Utils (Download Link). And finally after some time, Malaysk added this to his Android 8 ROM in an update.

But it was time for an OS upgrade and I just switched up from Malaysk 8 ROM (Xposed) to the Hal9k Mod v4 ROM (Magisk)(donated for full ROM). But going from Xposed to Magisk, I lost the use of some of my favorite Xposed Modules; mostly the MTCE-Utils module that allowed for a lot of custom settings, mainly, button remapping on the head unit and steering wheel controls.

I also tried out Malaysk's android 9 Full ROM (donated for full ROM) to see if it still has MTCE-Utils and sadly it does not... as far as I could tell, it doesn't even have Xposed or at the very least, Magisk to install the fix below, so I put Hal9k Mod 4 back on.

I have put in a request with @Hal9k_ and @Malaysk to possibly make this, or some variation of it, a part of their ROM's. :fingers-crossed:
    *Update; Hal9k_ did send me the files to re-implement the key learning settings for the Mod 4 ROM, but for me, it's too limited on it's abilities as it's pretty much the same key map options that are in the factory settings, and I can't get it to actually remap anything for the SWC's. But I'm hopeful he will find a way to add keycode remapping and be able to remap a SWC to an app activity. Or I think the I-Bus App team could easily add this too!

Malaysk was surprised that my SWC's didn't work in the WheelKey Study app, but they have never worked in that app, on any ROM. And I told him that I think the WheelKey Study is for add on type SWC's (?) and not for factory SWC's that run on "CanBus" or in my case, "I-Bus". I tried to change the SWC or CAN Key settings in Factory Settings and no change. I've tried many different CanBus settings under the CanBus tab as well and in my case, anything other than CanBus set to NO, none of my SWC's would work.
    MTCD-Tools has always been able to read my keycodes from my SWC's, so I never really understood why it's so hard to for the WheelKey Study to work. But I'm kind of glad because it forced me to discover what you can do with MTCE-Utils and it's much more customizable as you can assign any function, activity or app to any key, or remap any key to another key. Though one thing I couldn't figure out was how to have different options for single press vs press and hold for my SWC's, like you can somewhat do in the factory settings, for the head units buttons.

Before you proceed, if you wanted to try to my favorite and hands down the BEST Car Launcher, check out FCC Car Launcher, though I'm not sure if for the steering key part, you might need premium. I can't remember as I bought it a couple years ago. But it's TOTALY worth the cost (around $7 I think), and even if the SWC's don't work in there, you all should try it out anyway because everything else that launcher has to offer is nothing short of awesome! And the developer @SpeedFire- is very active and supportive here on the forums. Here is the Dedicated Thread.

If you want to customize your buttons:
    I would only use MTCD-Tools (Download Link) to find the KeyCodes of my buttons that I wanted to remap, as I couldn't really figure out how to make the rest of the app work properly, and would crash when trying some actions.
    If you want to try and figure out how to work the app, and maybe you can accomplish all you want with just MTCD-Tools, then check out THIS MTCD TOOLS HOW TO THREAD. It's just an APK and doesn't require messing with the rest of this post. But good luck :)

Then @okij told me about EdXposed and was kind enough to link all the files needed and support links:

Since the Hal9k Android 9 ROM uses Magisk for root (the Malaysk ROM doesn't), you could try to install the most recent version of EdXposed, which supports Android 9. I'm successfully using it on my phone along with several Xposed modules, and the most recent versions all worked very well for me.

For this you need to install the EdXposed Magisk module, the Riru Magisk module, as well as the EdXposedManager app for installing and controlling the modules.

Many Xposed modules which worked on the original Xposed by rovo89 also work on EdXposed, in this thread you can find a list of supported modules, but there are even more modules that work which are not listed there.

Hal9k ROM's already has Magisk installed!! The only thing you need to make sure of is DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE MAGISK! If you do, you WILL have bootloop problems!!!

All I had to do to install MTCE-Utils was to install the 3 EdXposed files, then MTCE-Utils; reboot after each file install (it will prompt you on most of them):

**You can install these first ones through Magisk by going to "Downloads" then search for Riru or manual download and install by clicking the links

**Install 1st: Riru - Core V19.7
    **Install 2nd: Riru - EdXposed v0.4.6.1 (YAHFA)
    Install 3rd: EdXposed Manager >>> Couldn't find in Magisk and had to manually download and install
    Install 4th: MTCE-Utils >>> Install's like a normal APK, then go to the EdXposed Manager and go to the "Modules" option and activate the XposedMtceUtils module and reboot again)

Now all that is left to do is make a folder in "0" directory called: mtce-utils
    I like to use ES File explorer but I'm sure the built in FileBrowser will work or use whatever you like.
    Then you can use my backup settings.ini that I've attached, and place it in that folder. Or you can use mine as a template to tune yours. I'm sure you will at least have to change some of the KeyCodes around and stuff, but it will give you a good idea what needs to done. This was my backup from Malaysk A8 ROM, so there are some Russian description parts that I never removed (or knew if I could remove, but I'm sure I could).
    Then using an app called Quick Shortcut Maker, that can tell you all the activites of an app (e.g to find the google assistant activity which is: com.google.android.apps.googleassistant/com.google.android.apps.googleassistant.AssistantActivity), And with the help of THIS great thread, and THIS list of Android Keycodes, I was able to tune it the way I wanted.
    My setup looked like this:
    Code:
    [android.microntek.service#keys]
    activity_331=com.maxmpz.audioplayer/com.maxmpz.audioplayer.PlayerUIActivity
    activity_344=com.e39.ak.e39ibus.app/com.e39.ak.e39ibus.app.MainActivity
    activity_283=com.pandora.android/com.pandora.android.Main
    activity_285=com.spotify.music/com.spotify.music.MainActivity
    activity_287=deezer.android.app/com.deezer.android.ui.activity.LauncherActivity
    activity_284=com.microntek.backview/com.microntek.backview.MainActivity
    activity_288=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant/com.google.android.apps.googleassistant.AssistantActivity
    activity_286=com.android.launcher4/com.android.launcher2hla.Launcher
    activity_316=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant/com.google.android.apps.googleassistant.AssistantActivity
    keycode_256=3

[com.maxmpz.audioplayer#keys] 
    ; mute -> pause

[com.microntek.radio#keys] 
    keymtc_299=276
    keymtc_300=278

I-Bus App stability issues:
    Many report stability issues with I-Bus app, mostly crashing. Some people are also having issues with the touchscreen and buttons stops responding. I can't say as though I have ever had the touch screen or button issue, but I did have some crashing issues. To me, the touchscreen and button issue would seem to have more to do with the MCU than it would the I-Bus app, but it's hard to say.
    Lately, everything is working MUCH better for me. I'm not quite sure what made everything run so much better, maybe a combination of all these things I've done recently:
    Updated to v3.40 MCU
    Updated from Malaysk Android 8 ROM to Hal9k Mod 4 Android 9 ROM
    Updated to latest Beta version of FCC Car Launcher. This is one of the best running versions I've used thanks to all the hard work @SpeedFire- has put in. Others are reporting good results with this launcher and the I-Bus app too! Please give it a try!

The main problem I have with the I-Bus app now is really high CPU usage after some certain setting is enabled. I'm still trying to track down exactly what is, but I've been talking with the developers and have sent them some logcats to try and figure it out.
    So if you notice your unit is getting really hot (and maybe even throttling itself @ 90c like mine was) and has high CPU usage, you might have the same bug I do, and it would great to know if it's not just me.​

So let the discussion begin! I will try to help when and where I can.:good:
    Thanks very much for the info @whitewolf8111, I will check out that wire. As them moment, I don't use the iBus app for my SWC, because when I do, adjusting the volume via the SWC goes up in increments of 2. So I am using the CanBus Box only for SWC buttons. If you are using iBus App for SWC, then why do you need the CanBus box at all?

BTW, I have all of the SWC buttons working .... sort of. Volume buttons work but they adjust the volume of both the DSP amp and the head unit. Next/Prev track buttons work. I have the mode button remapped via Hal9K to go to the Home screen. and I have the Telephone button remammped to Google Assistant, also via Hal9k. This is OK, but I would really like to get the volume buttons fixed so that they only adjust the radio (maybe snipping the brown/black wire will fix that), and most of all, I would love to get Long Press / Double Press functionality going. I used to be able to do this with the Intravee II that I previously had installed, and it's a real bummer to have lost this functionality.

Thanks again for the info. I will cut the suggested wire and let you know how I go. :)

There's no need to cut the wire, just take a razor blade and carefully lift up the little locking tab on the connector, and slide the wire out, and cover it with some heatshrink or electrical tape. That way, if for some weird reason you need it, it's ready to go rather easily.
    I remember every now and then, I would get the volume jump by 2, but I always thought it had something to do with some one of the running apps versions... It works fine for me now so I'm not sure what was the culprit.
    I doubt we will get long press/ double press anytime soon, but that would be nice. Something I've always wanted too. I was able to get that working with a remote control and some Tasker magic, but I would prefer to not use Tasker. It would be great to get some SWC/remote tweaking in the I-Bus app, as I think a lot could be done through the I-Bus, like long press/double press... I've asked for the I-Bus team many times for this, but they say the problem is how cancel the stock command for the requested one. This was able to be done with mtce-utils and Xposed, so perhaps this could be done with a Magisk module plugin, made for, and by the I-Bus app team; wink wink ;);), nudge nudge, know what I mean?!! @blue_racer
    So I think it would be good to create a discussion thread here on XDA for the amazing BMW I-Bus App.
    This app is a requirement for anyone with a BMW factory DSP amp, and a must have for any BMW fanatics!
    So let the discussion begin! I will try to help when and where I can.:good:

Thanks for this thread!

If there are any questions regarding the I-BUS app, please feel free to ask me as support of it. :highfive:
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just installed a Dasaita MAX6 into my 1999 M5 this week, and used i-bus app and the Resler Interface to make use of the existing DSP. It was all very easy to set up. The i-bus app itself is excellent, so much functionality, I'm still trying to digest it all!

One question, I love the programable light sequences, but how do you trigger them? Can they be made to trigger on lock/unlock? The documentation only says that they can be triggered by the numbered buttons 1-6, but I don't have those buttons on my aftermarket head unit

Well, you have to change the wiring of the radio to "consumer shutdown".. but since do not work propperly on all cars, we recommend NOT to use this.. some cars do not shut down this way and empty battery by night.. or it simply do not work. This is caused by the car itself, we may not handle this.

That's why we work on another solution since some month stay patient, solution will come.. more infos when it's ready to talk about it ;)
    Hi, my only idea was to use the "automatic app start" in the I-BUS app and set the launcher as app to start, when I-BUS app has started.
    No sure every launcher is available as app to start, but this was a try.

I apologize. I have to correct myself.
    Currently I cannot find the "Launcher" in my app list.
    For the next version we will add the "Home" function to the list for the app start, so that you can switch back to it automatically.