[Discussion] [Unofficial] BMW I-Bus App

Search This thread

Kd7iwp

Dec 11, 2020
Well 3.30 was older than 3.67 or 3.73 - So guess there is an update available!? ;-)
Sorry, for the confusion. I see that there are the higher versions, but we’re listed under Avant 4 PX6 Android 10. Since I have Android 9 I figured that meant the newer versions were not compatible.

I installed the new iBus launcher you mentioned but it still doesn’t seem to start up the iBus app, though I did put it in the list of auto start apps and also told it to check every minute if the app is open.

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Sorry, for the confusion. I see that there are the higher versions, but we’re listed under Avant 4 PX6 Android 10. Since I have Android 9 I figured that meant the newer versions were not compatible.

I installed the new iBus launcher you mentioned but it still doesn’t seem to start up the iBus app, though I did put it in the list of auto start apps and also told it to check every minute if the app is open.
Oh, sorry. I will check my wiki.
But MCU's do more refer to the type "MTCD/MTCE" and "GS" - Android version was not important as far as i know.

Reactions: whitewolf8111

OzzE38

Jun 25, 2021
Thought members may be interested in this, it may save them from wasting time and money with solutions that do not work.
My Resler is linked to a dash mounted Samsung Tab A 7 lite (I wanted to keep my E38 OEM equipment) and an issue has been running more than a single dongle which drains the battery over a long trip, say within 6 hours, I regularly travel 12 hours (1300 klms) at a time so I have tried all the Chinese adapters, which say they will pass through a charge to the tablet as well as power the OTG item, probably 6 or 7 products, none worked.
Finally, I found an adapter that works with three USB A dongles attached so I can run the Resler, Apple Carplay and a trackball controller all together whilst charging the tablet powered by a single direct connection to the fuse box. Plus there is an Android App which means the screen is always active.
There is a list of compatble Tablets on their website, that have been pre-tested
I use the iDrive app as my launcher: https://idrive.ibus-app.de/

UncleHungry

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for this thread!

If there are any questions regarding the I-BUS app, please feel free to ask me as support of it. :highfive:
I’m hoping you can help me here. I just installed an Avin Avant 4 with the I bus app. The issue I’m having is it doesn’t seem to recognize the DSP as it doesn’t show in the app. When I start the car I get audio for about 30 seconds and then it shuts off. I have no idea where to start. Thanks.

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
I’m hoping you can help me here. I just installed an Avin Avant 4 with the I bus app. The issue I’m having is it doesn’t seem to recognize the DSP as it doesn’t show in the app. When I start the car I get audio for about 30 seconds and then it shuts off. I have no idea where to start. Thanks.
Sounds like a license issue. Have you purchased both license's?

Reactions: blue_racer

UncleHungry

Nov 21, 2015
Sounds like a license issue. Have you purchased both license's?
I was unaware there were different licenses until right now, thanks. I’ll buy the license. What do I do then?

Edit: bought the additional license and unlocked it. Turned the key off for a couple minutes and Dsp still isn’t there. Also tried to reset app data with no luck.

Also, checked with INPA and it still reads the DSP.

Last edited:

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Hope everyone has been doing well!
@blue_racer, It's been a while since an app update... Can you give us any clues on, and when what's to come?
Hi, we're working on an app for E60/E90 etc by CAN BUS.
Further we got a lot support do do and fit the app for Android 12 units - this update will come soon.
We are currently spending a lot of time on the issue of error reading and coding. The implementation will very likely require DeepOBD and, due to the immense amount of work involved, this additional function will probably not be included in the current licences. However, we are not yet ready to give a concrete plan and release date.
I was unaware there were different licenses until right now, thanks. I’ll buy the license. What do I do then?

Edit: bought the additional license and unlocked it. Turned the key off for a couple minutes and Dsp still isn’t there. Also tried to reset app data with no luck.

Also, checked with INPA and it still reads the DSP.
So you've ordered the AVIN incl. Resler module and license for our app? May you send me your VIN (e.g. by PM) to check this? Or are you the one who contact me in facebook too?

Ivan Pronin

Jan 30, 2023
Good afternoon, did anyone have experience installing i-bus on a Mini one / cooper 200-2006? with all the declared possibilities, only the activation of the standard amplifier works for me

Ivan Pronin

Jan 30, 2023
Almost sounds like a license issue: @blue_racer ?
Hello, every now and then that the license is activated, I control the amplifier without any problems, I see information about fuel consumption, speed and temperature, but for example, when the comfort turn signal is activated, 3 blinks, nothing changes, I also tried to download it myself and create a light show, it does not work, programming blocks also not available

P.s I could make a video if it would be easier to solve the problem

whitewolf8111

Dec 23, 2012
Hello, every now and then that the license is activated, I control the amplifier without any problems, I see information about fuel consumption, speed and temperature, but for example, when the comfort turn signal is activated, 3 blinks, nothing changes, I also tried to download it myself and create a light show, it does not work, programming blocks also not available

P.s I could make a video if it would be easier to solve the problem
Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the app? Perhaps granting a permission was missed. I'm not too sure about the setup on a Mini and light controls. But you shouldn't have to keep activating your license. @blue_racer will have a better idea about this.
Yes, a video might be helpful.

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Good afternoon, did anyone have experience installing i-bus on a Mini one / cooper 200-2006? with all the declared possibilities, only the activation of the standard amplifier works for me
Hello Ivan,
Unfortunately, we have recently discovered that, contrary to our previous information, everything works differently in the Mini R50 than we had previously known.
For this reason, we have logged a Mini and have now created a beta of the app, which can do all the functions - only the tip flashing is not working. Sorry :-(
Unfortunately, only the app can do the functions so far. We still have to adapt the firmware of the Resler module.

We've sent the beta version by mail already. Hoping to get a feedback from you.
Thanks

Ivan Pronin

Jan 30, 2023
Hello Ivan,
Unfortunately, we have recently discovered that, contrary to our previous information, everything works differently in the Mini R50 than we had previously known.
For this reason, we have logged a Mini and have now created a beta of the app, which can do all the functions - only the tip flashing is not working. Sorry :-(
Unfortunately, only the app can do the functions so far. We still have to adapt the firmware of the Resler module.

We've sent the beta version by mail already. Hoping to get a feedback from you.
Thanks
Good afternoon, thanks for the quick response and the beta version, about 50% of the functionality worked correctly in the social network, I hope that everything will be fixed and will work as it should, if you need a list of everything that works and how it works, I can send you a video

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Good afternoon, thanks for the quick response and the beta version, about 50% of the functionality worked correctly in the social network, I hope that everything will be fixed and will work as it should, if you need a list of everything that works and how it works, I can send you a video
Hi, yes please send a video - but if possible to our mail info@ibus-app.de.
Please not that currently only the app was able to perform issues for Mini - firmware of the module have to be fiited first. And we may not find a solution for comfort flashing lights like other companies too :-(
Also you might send a log file (where we may see what the app send and how car reacts) by app menu "about". Please add a note there what we shall look for.
thx

Last edited:

the_cos

Jan 25, 2011
Hi guys,

So I have something weird going on. My car got really hot a couple days ago (35 deg outside, unknown how hot inside). And my iBus app and resler module are having a fit. When I go into the resler module imformation screen, it says that the firmware is corrupt. So I download new and it flashes successfully. But then the cycle repeats.

On the car itself I am getting a bunch of fun and exciting lights. The airbag light turns on quite a bit, when it does it turns the automatic lights on, which lasts 3-5 seconds then turns off. Sometimes the signal light wont turn on when using the stalk, sometimes it turns on but then doesn't turn off after returning to normal. Once and a while the highbeams have gone on. Finally my tach pinned and set quite high (3000 rpm base).

I've put it in 'garage mode' and most of the issue went away. Although the airbag light still cycles on and off.

I'm thinking something got too hot and is pretty grumpy now. My next step is to remove the module completely and pull the battery for a bit and see if that clears the issues up.

Anyone heard of anything like this? I've had the module for a little over a year and it worked great before this.

blue_racer

Jul 14, 2017
Dresden
www.ibus-app.de
Hi guys,

So I have something weird going on. My car got really hot a couple days ago (35 deg outside, unknown how hot inside). And my iBus app and resler module are having a fit. When I go into the resler module imformation screen, it says that the firmware is corrupt. So I download new and it flashes successfully. But then the cycle repeats.

On the car itself I am getting a bunch of fun and exciting lights. The airbag light turns on quite a bit, when it does it turns the automatic lights on, which lasts 3-5 seconds then turns off. Sometimes the signal light wont turn on when using the stalk, sometimes it turns on but then doesn't turn off after returning to normal. Once and a while the highbeams have gone on. Finally my tach pinned and set quite high (3000 rpm base).

I've put it in 'garage mode' and most of the issue went away. Although the airbag light still cycles on and off.

I'm thinking something got too hot and is pretty grumpy now. My next step is to remove the module completely and pull the battery for a bit and see if that clears the issues up.

Anyone heard of anything like this? I've had the module for a little over a year and it worked great before this.
Hi Cos,
we know a bug in the app refering the info "firmware for the module was defect.." - I will send you a PM with a current beta version with shall solve this.
What may not refer to us were light in the cluster like airbag error light. Please check your fault codes for this.

Kind regards,
André

the_cos

Jan 25, 2011
Hi Cos,
we know a bug in the app refering the info "firmware for the module was defect.." - I will send you a PM with a current beta version with shall solve this.
What may not refer to us were light in the cluster like airbag error light. Please check your fault codes for this.

Kind regards,
André

Got it thanks, I’ll give it a try and see if the other issues correct.

I do know there is a somewhat ‘common’ problem with the ABS seat pressure sensors fail so could just be common.

Reactions: blue_racer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We got a beta version for IX series trying to fix this issue for auto start in most cases - no idea if it will work for not-recommended IA series (due to its hardware).
    To get this version write a PM.

Another try was to use another launcher and add I-BUS app in auto start there, e.g. iDrive launcher: https://idrive.ibus-app.de
    Thanks for the prompt response @blue_racer - I'll DM you for the version.

I forgot to mention I tried using another launcher and am using iDrive Launcher at this time, auto start in there hasn't been successful either unfortunately.
    I am experiencing the same issue with the I-BUS App crashing on startup randomly on my '03 E39 (w/o DSP).
    I am running this on an IA7239B + Resler Module

I've tried setting the automatic startup delay to 10000ms to see if that helps, but it still crashes occasionally on boot
    I had both versions of the IX1239BHL and IX7239BS head units and ultimately returned both of them due to the unreliability of the ibus app + resler module with these head units. My car has the DSP meaning that I need the ibus app to properly control volume of the stereo in the car (even then it is still awkward with the volume knob controlling the head unit volume and the steering wheel controlling the DSP volume). My experience was that the app would crash, fail to launch, or incorrectly handle volume changes on both the head unit and/or the steering wheel controls over 50% the time. I could usually get things working if I rebooted the head unit a few times, but honestly that is not acceptable - I want to be able to get into the car and drive not fiddle with the stereo for several minutes. In short (and not that my opinion really matters) I would definitely not try to use the IX series and it sounds like the IA series may be even worse.

Apparently the IQ or PQS series are better but since they can't be purchased from a source with a permissive return policy, I just went back to the stock head unit.

If anyone wants to purchase a lightly used resler module, feel free to DM me!
    So I think it would be good to create a discussion thread here on XDA for the amazing BMW I-Bus App.
    This app is a requirement for anyone with an aftermarket Android head unit and a BMW factory DSP amp, and a must have for any BMW fanatics!

For those that don't know;
    "The I-BUS app is an Android application that serves to display your on-board computer on an Android device and integrates many comfort / coding functions in your vehicle." - And so much more!

49737308316_1ebe1e0332_s.jpg
    ON-BOARD COMPUTER
    Reproduce the original on-board computer completely.
    In addition, there are many other values to display that were previously not possible.
    49736768393_00286461eb_s.jpg
    LIGHT CONTROL
    You have always missed comfort blinking and cornering lights in your vehicle?
    The app can do that and much more.
    49736768418_4f57d78817_o.png
    CODING
    Code your light module, PDC and DSP in the vehicle by yourself.
    The range of functions varies depending on year of manufacture and vehicle.
    49736768363_2a9752005e_s.jpg
    PDC
    Use the app to display the exact distance and a visualization of the original parking system.
    49737308366_2c582b36cf_s.jpg
    INFORMATION
    View information about your vehicle, such as service data, coded units and language and VIN.
    49736768403_d9cfab69cb_s.jpg
    DSP
    Use the I-BUS app to control the original digital sound processor without losing settings or sound quality.

49736768783_403ae978c8_z.jpg
    49737640227_3ca7ed972c_z.jpg

49736768523_d86188fc1d_z.jpg
    49737308621_935b69f8c7_z.jpg

49737308531_e82d2b3f25_z.jpg
    49737640252_c5d769cb82_z.jpg

49737640322_ab013955d2_z.jpg
    49736768638_2ca3c3d05e_z.jpg

First, lets start with all the valuable links I have accumulated:
    I-Bus App HomePage - Downloads & General Info​
    I-Bus App FAQ - A good place to start​
    I-Bus App Wiki - A good read with a lot of useful info​
    Official I-Bus App Forum - The main I-Bus App forum​
    Original I-Bus App Thread - E39-Forum (German forum)​
    BMW Head Unit Install Guide - A great thread with a lot of very useful install info that I helped with.​
    I-Bus App Shop - THE place to buy App licenses and head unit install accessories​

My recommend setup:
    Head Unit - Xtrons or Avin ( I use the Xtrons in my sig)​
    MCU - At least v3.40 (For GS MCU's) (I'm currently running v3.62 GS without any problems) I will not link any MCU's as there is risk involved in updating the MCU. Do your research first!​
    Launcher - FCC Car Launcher - For me, this is the best launcher and works well with the I-Bus App.​

Steering Wheel Controls (SWC):
    **If you're having issues with your SWC's or can't get any keycodes to pull up, the first thing you need to do is:
    In the I-Bus App, Go to Settings; Other; And make sure BOTH the 2nd and 3rd options down are checked and enabled for "Steering wheel button control (Enable control of music and volume with steering wheel buttons.(without CAN bus box)" and the "PX6/PX5/PX3 device (steering wheel control head units with PX5/PX3 boards)".​
    None of my keys, except volume (because the MCU controls volume), worked at all without these options enabled.​
    *Update* With the latest versions of the I-BUS App, it now has assignable SWC's, plus a "Long press" option for the Next and Previous buttons... Though I currently can't get the long press to work . But everything else works great!​

I-Bus App issues:
    Some report stability issues with I-Bus app, mostly crashing. Some people are also having issues with the touchscreen and buttons stops responding. I can't say as though I have ever had the touch screen or button issue, but I did have some crashing issues. To me, the touchscreen and button issue would seem to have more to do with the MCU than it would the I-Bus app, but it's hard to say.​
    Lately, everything is working MUCH better for me. I'm not quite sure what made everything run so much better, maybe the updates to the I-BUS app or a combination of all these things I've done recently:​
    Updated to v3.62 MCU (I have a GS MCU)​
    Updated from Malaysk Android 8 ROM to Hal9k Mod V5 Android 10
    Updated to latest Beta version of FCC Car Launcher. This is one of the best running versions I've used thanks to all the hard work @SpeedFire- has put in. Others are reporting good results with this launcher and the I-Bus app too! Please give it a try!​

So let the discussion begin! I will try to help when and where I can.:good:
    So I think it would be good to create a discussion thread here on XDA for the amazing BMW I-Bus App.
    This app is a requirement for anyone with a BMW factory DSP amp, and a must have for any BMW fanatics!
    So let the discussion begin! I will try to help when and where I can.:good:

Thanks for this thread!

If there are any questions regarding the I-BUS app, please feel free to ask me as support of it. :highfive:
    OK, So I just did a little testing re CPU usage and temperature. My head unit is a Dasaita PX6/MTCE, and I was using the SystemPanel2 app to take measurements. I had the system playing music on Poweramp, with Google Maps running in the background along with sundry other apps (Tasker, Viper, iBus App etc). After about 20 minutes, CPU usage was minimal (between 0 and 25%), system temps stable at around 55C (Ambient 17C, so 38C above ambient). Was monitoring App CPU usage, and iBus App did not even show up on the list. So that was all as expected really. I will do another test later with iBus App running in the foreground showing continuous OBC data and will let you know my results

Thanks for checking that for me. That's good, you don't seem to have the issue. For me, it only happened when some certain setting was enabled. Otherwise it had normal CPU usage. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the I-Bus App, as I could kill the app and usage would drop back to normal. Or I could wipe the settings back to default and usage would be normal until I went through and setup my I-Bus app settings again.

Hopefully, your PX6 doesn't get this bug, or you may not have that particular setting enabled. I've tried going through and ticking one setting at a time, then restart the unit, observe the usage, then come out of sleep, observe the usage again, then enable the next option and repeat it all over again for each option... Very tedious. At first it seemed like it was the "Units" conversion (changing everything to USA; Miles, Gallons, HP etc.) But, after redoing it all again, the "Units" conversion seems to work okay now (though, I think there is one or two settings I didn't change...)

I figured out what wire it is I have disconnected from my CanBus box, it just has to do with the "Consumer Shutdown" or "VA" as can be seen in the Wiki HERE. I have the ACC power to the unit wired up with a SPDT switch to be able to choose between the VA wiring and the normal switched ignition power, and until they fix some of the issues with it, I've just been running it normal switched power. But they are working a new solution, and maybe in the next release(???). And I was wrong on the color of the wire, I don't know where I got red, but it's a brown/black wire and is "Key 2" for aftermarket steering wheel controls (add on type), and needs to be removed when running in VA mode, to "Avoid app zapping"(?!!lol). You could temporarily remove it and see if it helps with any SWC problems. I don't have or plan to have any aftermarket add in SWC's, so I just left that one unplugged to be able to switch back and forth easily with the flick of a switch and a change in the I-Bus setting.
    Just remember for SWC's to work, that both the SWC options in the I-Bus app, "Automatic wheel button control" and "PX6/PX5/PX3 device", under "Other", need to be enabled; Factory settings CanBus set to "None"; and I can't remember if this one mattered or not but, in Factory Settings, Other, "Steering wheel keys assignment" set to "SWC Key".
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just installed a Dasaita MAX6 into my 1999 M5 this week, and used i-bus app and the Resler Interface to make use of the existing DSP. It was all very easy to set up. The i-bus app itself is excellent, so much functionality, I'm still trying to digest it all!

One question, I love the programable light sequences, but how do you trigger them? Can they be made to trigger on lock/unlock? The documentation only says that they can be triggered by the numbered buttons 1-6, but I don't have those buttons on my aftermarket head unit

Well, you have to change the wiring of the radio to "consumer shutdown".. but since do not work propperly on all cars, we recommend NOT to use this.. some cars do not shut down this way and empty battery by night.. or it simply do not work. This is caused by the car itself, we may not handle this.

That's why we work on another solution since some month stay patient, solution will come.. more infos when it's ready to talk about it ;)
    Hi, my only idea was to use the "automatic app start" in the I-BUS app and set the launcher as app to start, when I-BUS app has started.
    No sure every launcher is available as app to start, but this was a try.

I apologize. I have to correct myself.
    Currently I cannot find the "Launcher" in my app list.
    For the next version we will add the "Home" function to the list for the app start, so that you can switch back to it automatically.