[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

vulcanrvn

Mar 8, 2017
Sacramento
Hello,
My Razer Phone 2 recently stopped working with my pc and right when the usb port stopped talking with my computer an update corrupts my os. I tried to do everything I could think of before preforming a factory reset, it was rooted and with twrp nothing I tried work. Now after a reset twrp is gone and I still can't load the os it just boot loops.

So I desperately need to find a replacement phone. I can go on either Verizon or T-mobile with no real preference for a specific one. This is the hard part, I need a phone with at least 6GB of ram preferably more, and either 512gb storage or the ability to have an SD Card. Lastly I want the phone to be rootable and in a perfect world, have rom support because custom roms are better then GSI.

All the phones I've looked at so far that meet those requirements are mainly Samsung it would seem. I've heard mix experiences with the newer S20's and S20s as well as S10 and Note10. Obviously I would need to buy a phone that had the exynos chipset instead of snapdragon which is fine but I heard even then rooting has some glaring issues with the newer Samsungs. Is this the case or do they root fine?

Also I don't care about what brand as long as it meets those 3 requirements. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need a phone for work as the one they gave me to use has limited minutes and texts and I can't switch the sim without raising some flags.

Please Help, Thank You

lestergaddy

Dec 21, 2020
Personally, I love the OnePlus range of devices. If you're going for easy and reliable help on Xda they're near the best. Especially with older devices still having decent support. I use a OnePlus 5T as a daily driver and I love it. Battery life is a bit to be desired but I have dash charge so its okay. I'd try new OnePlus devices like 7 or 8 but I'd only go as low as 4 or 5 if you were to use one daily.

polaalex

Feb 1, 2021
Galaxy Note (TMobile). I have been saying Galaxy Note is the "best smartphone of 2012" ever since it was announced back in 2011. Now both One X and S3 specs are out and none of them have changed my mind.

brubblu

Dec 14, 2020
Hey guys,
im looking for a cheap 8/10" tablet only to read big PDF files (>400 pages)
No need for custom roms.
Around 100$
What Do you recommend?
For around that price I got a Huawei Mediapad M3 from a few years ago. It still gets the job done, no lag or anything. There's also a guide here in the forums on how to unlock bootloader should you ever want to do that (it's not free though).

Or you could buy an Amazon Fire tablet. A friend of mine swears on its ease of use but I never tried it

Jester123

Sep 20, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Hey I'm in search of a new phone. I have a few features that I prefer and in am struggling to find a phone that fits.

I'd prefer the following:
Wireless Charging
Expandable memory
3.5mm headphone input

Does a phone like this exist? It seems like this combination of features is tough to find especially in a phone that is also well supported by the community. I would also be okay with a previous generation of phone.

brubblu

Dec 14, 2020
Hey I'm in search of a new phone. I have a few features that I prefer and in am struggling to find a phone that fits.

I'd prefer the following:
Wireless Charging
Expandable memory
3.5mm headphone input

Does a phone like this exist? It seems like this combination of features is tough to find especially in a phone that is also well supported by the community. I would also be okay with a previous generation of phone.
There's a surprising number of them actually, especially if you are ok with previous generations of phones. If that's ok with the forum rules (otherwise I apologize in advance to the staff), here are a few links to gsmarena

this one is for the general search:

and this one is for the search with all 3 options you say are important

You will see quite a few of the latest Samsung phones seem to tick all the boxes for you. Now as for the support,that kinda depends what you wanna do with them, but usually Samsung has quite a big pool of users and you can check the forums here for the desired models

EyeKoniK999

Feb 27, 2021
in the past week I have gotten ahold of over 10 phones. main purpose? unlock bootloader, root device, and play Pokémon go official app on the device, of course their are other things i want it for but this is my main reason. but every device I've gotten my hands on have been a complete fail and its driving me insane!! so I'm just looking at my options what can I do? I really want to get a Samsung galaxy tab s6 lite but honestly I don't wanna waste my money and not be able to root. I really need something that that is gonna work either a high end tab or a high-end phone that can be rooted. would be even better if I could just by a pre rooted phone or tab somewhere. please just, any help would be appreciated.