[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread
May 5, 2021
Belgrade
It all depends whether you want a budget phone, mid-range or flagship phone. I recently bought a budget phone based on Helio chipset with PoweVR graphics. I am satisfied. It works like it is a mid-range phone. Helio chipset is very good in my opinion and PowerVR is my favourite GPU. I don't need flagship devices. But if you want a flagship phone I would go for One Plus 9 pro.

Reactions: wreck_it_ralph

Alex Perry

May 18, 2021
Hi.

I'm looking for a phone that will be used exclusively as DAP, literally just to listening music with my iems.
I'm tired of DAPs itself with horrible UI and systems, even on the expensive ones.

But, i don't know what kind of hardware to look for, i was thinking about Poco M3 but that thing it's too much for that i think, would be good to save as much money as possible for a such simple device and purpose.

My needs:
- Cheap - $100/$150 range at max.
- SD slot for music library
- Headphone jack
- Battery life
- Easy and friendly custom OS support

Some questions:
Those MediaTek Helio cpus should be enough or should i aim for Snapdragons only?
2GB of ram it's enough? 3GB? or 4GB to be on a safe place for years even for something to just play music?
UFS memory would be a game changer for my case?

Thanks for any help guys.

May 5, 2021
Belgrade
Hi.

I'm looking for a phone that will be used exclusively as DAP, literally just to listening music with my iems.
I'm tired of DAPs itself with horrible UI and systems, even on the expensive ones.

But, i don't know what kind of hardware to look for, i was thinking about Poco M3 but that thing it's too much for that i think, would be good to save as much money as possible for a such simple device and purpose.

My needs:
- Cheap - $100/$150 range at max.
- SD slot for music library
- Headphone jack
- Battery life
- Easy and friendly custom OS support

Some questions:
Those MediaTek Helio cpus should be enough or should i aim for Snapdragons only?
2GB of ram it's enough? 3GB? or 4GB to be on a safe place for years even for something to just play music?
UFS memory would be a game changer for my case?

Thanks for any help guys.
Yes, Helio chipset should be just fine. 3 GB of RAM is minimum for newer Androids. I think you should be fine with eMMC 5.1 flash memory. No need for expensive phones with UFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Perry

Alex Perry

May 18, 2021
Yes, Helio chipset should be just fine. 3 GB of RAM is minimum for newer Androids. I think you should be fine with eMMC 5.1 flash memory. No need for expensive phones with UFS.
Man, after some research, looks like MediaTek ones are horrible and no custom roms on his side as well to make things worse. I'm looking for the M3 again.

May 5, 2021
Belgrade
Man, after some research, looks like MediaTek ones are horrible and no custom roms on his side as well to make things worse. I'm looking for the M3 again.
You said
would be good to save as much money as possible for a such simple device and purpose.
That's why I recommended Mediatek. They're not so bad;). They offer good value for money. It all depends on what you need. I wish you to find the right phone according to your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Perry

pojr

Dec 18, 2016
i currently own a pixel 3a. phone has been great to me, and i recently unlocked the bootloader and changed the os to Lineage. love it.

thinking about trying either the pixel 5 or pixel 4a. the camera is one of the most important features to me. what do you guys recommend for a phone with a great camera? doesnt have to be just the pixel lineup.

headzy

• Dec 9, 2009
    Still! Happy with my s7 edge, camera is great, plenty CPU and ram, only will upgrade when phones have an impressive optical zoom and stabilisation. Maybe another 3 years away for me to upgrade.

XDboy YT BG

Sep 5, 2020
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Huawei P9
    New phone suggestions?

Hello. Recently I've been wondering what phone to get, as I'm tired of my 2013 Galaxy S4 which i pretty much use for experiments and my main, Huawei P9. The thing just has lower space than my needings, it's kinda slowed down and the quality is not the best. Any suggestions? I can choose from a Xiaomi to a Samsung, except a Huawei.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Hey guys. It's me again, 9 months later. I just want to announce that I got a Galaxy S9 6 months ago, and I'm super happy with it. I don't need any suggestions anymore either, as I have also picked my next phone after my S9!

Cheers from Bulgaria by XDboy 😁

XDboy YT BG

Sep 5, 2020
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Huawei P9
    New phone suggestions?

Hello. Recently I've been wondering what phone to get, as I'm tired of my 2013 Galaxy S4 which i pretty much use for experiments and my main, Huawei P9. The thing just has lower space than my needings, it's kinda slowed down and the quality is not the best. Any suggestions? I can choose from a Xiaomi to a Samsung, except a Huawei.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Hey guys. It's me again, 9 months later. I just want to announce that I got a Galaxy S9 6 months ago, and I'm super happy with it. I don't need any suggestions anymore either, as I have also picked my next phone after my S9!

Cheers from Bulgaria by XDboy 😁

Adeelnm

May 6, 2021
    I am looking for a phone that has the following requirements
    • Must be launched in 2020+
    • Must have 3400+mah battery
    • Must have 25+w charger
    • Must have fingerprint
    • Must have good specs that can play games like clash royale, gardenscapes,ludo etc
    • Screen size above 5.4

May 5, 2021
    Belgrade
    i currently own a pixel 3a. phone has been great to me, and i recently unlocked the bootloader and changed the os to Lineage. love it.

thinking about trying either the pixel 5 or pixel 4a. the camera is one of the most important features to me. what do you guys recommend for a phone with a great camera? doesnt have to be just the pixel lineup.
    Sharp Aquos R6 is very interesting. It’s the first phone with 1-inch camera sensor. It has an OLED display with 240 Hz refresh rate, 2200 nits peak brightness, Qualcomm Snapdragon 888, 12 GB RAM, and a 5.000 mAh battery. I haven't seen the pictures yet but it's a very interesting hardware, especially the camera. Good luck with your search for a phone with a great camera.

colekayley

May 31, 2021
    In 2021, buying the best phone means looking for something that should last you a few years. Smartphones’ upgrade cycles are slowing down for a reason: even at lower prices, it’s getting harder and harder to buy a lemon. In other words, you don’t have to spend a huge amount to get something great, as a bunch of great smartphones are available for around $800. It’s harder than ever to decide between everything in that range, but for most people, my pick for the best phone is the Apple iPhone 12.

Luckily, if you’re looking for a no-compromise smartphone at any price, the choices over a thousand dollars are much clearer. If you like Android, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra is incredibly good. And if you want to get the best smartphone on a budget, you can find something really good for under $500 or even under $400. For those recommendations, you can check out our guide to budget smartphones.

A great smartphone will last you for several years (at least), have a great camera, a nice screen, long battery life, and be fast enough to do all the work, social networking, and gaming you want to pack into a day. Believe it or not, all of those things are easier than ever to find in a phone — so picking the best one is often a matter of degrees or preferences.

theunlucky

Apr 15, 2015
    Schaffhausen
    Hi,
    Hope you can help me:
    I'm starting to look for a new smartphone as dailydriver. Am in no hurry, so I can wait for the new devices in automn aso.

My requirements:
    must:
    - European LTE-Bands (B20)
    - Google Safetynet-certified (i have to use apps that require this)
    - either 64GB internal or microSD
    - good GPS (incl. Galileo, Glonass)*
    - good compass*
    - Battery to last 2 days with normal DOT (non-Gamer!)
    - Fingerprint/NFC/good Wifi
    - decent Cam for snapshots/panoramic
    - Support for alternative OS (Lineage, /e/ aso) for the "2nd life"
    - "not too big" < 6,5" (i like phones that fit in my pocket)

would be nice:
    - DualSIM or eSim + microSIM-slot
    - wireless charging
    - "clean as possible" Stock-Android
    - "unbloatable" **

* current phone (Xiaomi Mi9SE) somewhat struggles with getting a good fix and/or orientation; sucks when navigating with the bycicle
    ** I love that "hack" for Xiaomi-Phones to get rid of everything Bloat I don't need/want...

Which devices should I aim for?
    (currently, I kinda prefer the OnePlus9-models - are they still recommendable? If yes I'd wait until the price drops)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
      For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
      Asus Padfone for me!
      Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
      Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.