• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Is there an updated (2021) list of which phones are easier to root / Unlock the bootloader / flash a ROM? I'd like to buy a phone that'll last me for a few years, I don't like to generate eWaste and any new phone more than suffices for my needs.

Do any of the "alternative" brands like PinePhone provide stable daily drivers?
I used a Lenovo P2 (android 6) for 5 years and I never had any problem so I don't understand why people want the latest updates or they suicide?
No phone brand will give you more than 2-3 years updates also 2-3 years later we will see even much more powerful and affordable phones, thanks to China.
I believe in the next 4-5 years you will change phone anyways.

zyxx

Aug 1, 2021
Huawei Y5 (2017)
I used a Lenovo P2 (android 6) for 5 years and I never had any problem so I don't understand why people want the latest updates or they suicide?
No phone brand will give you more than 2-3 years updates also 2-3 years later we will see even much more powerful and affordable phones, thanks to China.
I believe in the next 4-5 years you will change phone anyways.
Here's why. Any suggestions for a new flash-friendly phone?

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Here's why. Any suggestions for a new flash-friendly phone?
You're a bit in contradiction with what you're looking for.
You're looking for a root friendly friendly phone at the same time for a phone that you can use for a few years so I gave you the example about my Lenovo P2 which I "never" rooted.
Regarding Google, everything, every app you install you MUST give 100% permissions to 100% of your phone which goes to whatever is in American servers where your private information goes stolen by hackers or by the CIA.
And again regarding your link, it refers to a loser who got a carrier locked phone so I wasted my time by reading your suggestion.

flash713

May 7, 2015
Google Pixel 4 XL
This is what I plan on getting next!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-191719.png
    Screenshot_20210806-191719.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

Adeelnm

May 6, 2021
You can go for a Samsung Galaxy F22 smartphone with Helio G80 processor. This one has good performance and is low on cost as well.
Samsung Galaxy F22 is not available here. However I have shortlisted few mobiles. All these smartphones with minimal specs as I am not a gamer and almost everyday I use is for YouTube, news and sometimes play games like gardens apes, wordscape etc.
Samsung Galaxy A22
Samsung Galaxy A32
Xiaomi redmi note 10S
Xiaomi redmi note 10T
Xiaomi redmi note 10 pro
Infinix Note 10
OnePlus Nord N100
OnePlus Nord N10
OnePlus Nord CE
Tell me which one to go for or what do you prefer over others,

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Samsung Galaxy F22 is not available here. However I have shortlisted few mobiles. All these smartphones with minimal specs as I am not a gamer and almost everyday I use is for YouTube, news and sometimes play games like gardens apes, wordscape etc.
Samsung Galaxy A22
Samsung Galaxy A32
Xiaomi redmi note 10S
Xiaomi redmi note 10T
Xiaomi redmi note 10 pro
Infinix Note 10
OnePlus Nord N100
OnePlus Nord N10
OnePlus Nord CE
Tell me which one to go for or what do you prefer over others,
Be careful, you need to check if the phones you listed are compatible with your country's network, sometimes even locally sold phones are restricted to a specific carrier.
I wouldn't waste too much time and go for Xiaomi, Samsung is overpriced while the other brands are less known.
The Xiaomi redmi note 10 pro has the best performances: better screen protection and resolution; more powerful CPU and GPU; the camera should be OK unless you want to be a photographer; it's more expensive.
Xiaomi has became the world's second phone maker for sales after Samsung, expect next year to see it become the first in the world.

Adeelnm

May 6, 2021
After reading few comments here, it is said to go for Chinese brand. But I am still confused between xiaomi, oneplus nord series, Samsung and poco.
Let me make it easy for everyone
  • Budget is roughly 250-300 USD.
  • Battery should be 4000mah and ideally 5000mah.
  • Don't want THE FASTEST SMARTPHONE as I am not a gamer.
  • Screen type/resolution /refresh rate etccan be any.
  • Screen size must be 6-7inch
  • Finger print musy
I hope I made it easy for you.

Last edited:

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Finally you said what kind of phone you're looking for but you still don't follow the previous questions.
Where you will buy the phone from and what is your country?
If you buy a phone from Xiaomi in that price range, you get a fast phone because that is Xiaomi, the best you can get cheaper than any one other.
In the previous list you didn't mention POCO so I didn't suggest you the M3 which is much cheaper and still powerful for what is offers.
POCO was a Xiaomi brand and now it has became their own brand so you get the same Xiaomi quality.

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
After reading few comments here, it is said to go for Chinese brand. But I am still confused between xiaomi, oneplus nord series, Samsung and poco.
Let me make it easy for everyone
  • Budget is roughly 250-300 dollars
  • Battery should be 4000mah and ideally 5000mah.
  • Don't want THE FASTEST SMARTPHONE as I am not a gamer.
  • Screen type/resolution /refresh rate etccan be any.
  • Screen size must be 6-7inch
  • Finger print musy
PoCo m3 pro is an option you can consider. You mention a budget. Is that in USD or CAD?

Adeelnm

May 6, 2021
Finally you said what kind of phone you're looking for but you still don't follow the previous questions.
Where you will buy the phone from and what is your country?
If you buy a phone from Xiaomi in that price range, you get a fast phone because that is Xiaomi, the best you can get cheaper than any one other.
In the previous list you didn't mention POCO so I didn't suggest you the M3 which is much cheaper and still powerful for what is offers.
POCO was a Xiaomi brand and now it has became their own brand so you get the same Xiaomi quality.
My country is Pakistan and the phones I mentioned are available here.
There are literally lots of websites to order from but I always prefer local stores with good reputation.
So, after all, you recommend poco devices?

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
My country is Pakistan and the phones I mentioned are available here.
There are literally lots of websites to order from but I always prefer local stores with good reputation.
So, after all, you recommend poco devices?
POCO like Xiaomi is the best for price and product value.
I already did my research and I chose the POCO M3.
Bare in mind that there are a few versions and even if they call it "global" version, you still need to check what banks it can work with.
Don't buy the European (EU) version because there is a network restriction that you need to activate with an European sim card before you can use the phone.
Anyway, the POCO M3 box has a sticker which tells what is the version and unfortunately only the internal booklet tells all bands so you need to open the box.
I believe that the global version should suffice unless in Pakistan shops (could be) there is another version.
You can check Pakistan network bands here ---> Pakistan bands

Reactions: Adeelnm

Adeelnm

May 6, 2021
POCO like Xiaomi is the best for price and product value.
I already did my research and I chose the POCO M3.
Bare in mind that there are a few versions and even if they call it "global" version, you still need to check what banks it can work with.
Don't buy the European (EU) version because there is a network restriction that you need to activate with an European sim card before you can use the phone.
Anyway, the POCO M3 box has a sticker which tells what is the version and unfortunately only the internal booklet tells all bands so you need to open the box.
I believe that the global version should suffice unless in Pakistan shops (could be) there is another version.
You can check Pakistan network bands here ---> Pakistan bands
Thanks for such info. Obviously I was confused in choosing which brand to go for and options were Samsung, xiaomi, Poco and Oneplus nord series. Now I am inclined towards poco as the first suggestion given to me was poco x3 Pro.

DingbatCA

Aug 23, 2021
With the upcoming shutdown of 3G I find my self in the annoying spot of having to upgrade my phone... I currently have a Sony XZ2 Compact, and love it. But it will no longer be supported by most of the US cell phone carriers as of 2022 when 3G is shutdown. Although it is a 4G capable phone, it does not support VoLTE on AT&T or T-Mobile. :-(

I am having a rather hard time finding a phone that meets the following criteria:
1) Has a good camera. Basically as good ay my current XZ2c, or better.
2) Equal, or better CPU/RAM to my XZ2c.
3) 4G VoLTE support on the 4 major carriers in the USA (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile)...
4) LineageOS 18.1, with a good chance of LineageOS 19+

Any ideas/thoughts? Am I asking for too much?

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
Motorola devices suck in terms of camera, although the Mediatek chipset used in this is good enough. I find the camera section of Poco F3 Pro really good among recent devices.

Well, the software definitely isn't great. But with gcam mod, it's better. If you are talking about out of box support, Huawei phones had good camera support but is now handicapped with lack of gms. Next best thing maybe oneplus with the hassleblad lenses or Sony Xperia.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.