• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
Will installing GCam in Motorola devices like Moto Edge 20 fusion help the camera lovers?
I can't speak on behalf of Moto Edge 20, but for the Motorola Edge+, gcam made a difference.

With the recent Moto Edge S/Moto G100, the stock camera is a lot better than before so gcam might not be necessary anymore but that depends on each user. Best way would be to try it out in person if you can or order from a vendor that allows refunds.

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
Moto Edge Plus was a high-end device and not everyone can afford it. And this camera thing always stands against buying Motorola devices. I was hoping to buy Edge 20 Fusion with Dimensity 800U processor but very skeptical because of the camera specs.

As far as I know the Motorola edge 20 has a variety of flavours so to speak. So there is what they considered flagship but not flagship pricing.

Similar with the Motorola edge +, I got it when it was not full price. It really depends on where and when you are getting it too.

Also gcam isn't only for flagships. It works with any phone that it's ported to. I just happened to test it out with the phone I have. I haven't tested it on the Motorola edge s yet. As I'm pretty happy with the new software that Motorola has put on it so far.

If you are looking at long term use, I would look at long term investment. But if you are a person that needs the best camera. I would recommend carry an actual digital camera, we are not at the tech where a phone will replacement a dedicated digital camera.

If it is just for Facebook or Instagram, not publishing any phone will perform fairly well camera wise.

Your best option is to go into a store if it's possible and test out the phones you are interested in. Just going by paper specs won't help with the feel, look, etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
As far as I know the Motorola edge 20 has a variety of flavours so to speak. So there is what they considered flagship but not flagship pricing.

Similar with the Motorola edge +, I got it when it was not full price. It really depends on where and when you are getting it too.

Also gcam isn't only for flagships. It works with any phone that it's ported to. I just happened to test it out with the phone I have. I haven't tested it on the Motorola edge s yet. As I'm pretty happy with the new software that Motorola has put on it so far.

If you are looking at long term use, I would look at long term investment. But if you are a person that needs the best camera. I would recommend carry an actual digital camera, we are not at the tech where a phone will replacement a dedicated digital camera.

If it is just for Facebook or Instagram, not publishing any phone will perform fairly well camera wise.

Your best option is to go into a store if it's possible and test out the phones you are interested in. Just going by paper specs won't help with the feel, look, etc.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advise but I am not really into only cameras. Good enough cameras would do well. I used Moto Fusion Plus in the past and the experience was not so good with the cameras. That's why I was a bit concerned.

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Thanks for the advise but I am not really into only cameras. Good enough cameras would do well. I used Moto Fusion Plus in the past and the experience was not so good with the cameras. That's why I was a bit concerned.
It is not easy to chose the right phone especially because phones have became complicated and sophisticated like computers.
I had a good impression about Xiaomi and Poco phones (made from same Xiaomi factory) until I bought a Poco M3.
Be ware mate, these corporations care nothing about clients and they NEVER ever replay to e-mails, Facebook messages and phone's help app where you ask support, they NEVER REPLAY!
The M3 has the call volume too low and when I'm outside, I feel very hard to hear the other side.
The wi-fi signal is too weak!
But even worse! The Poco M3 doesn't have the notification led!
Anything the phone receives, SMSs, phone calls, Messenger messages, WhatsApp, Wechat, Line, calendar alerts etc. etc., if you miss the bip because the phone is in your pocket, you don't know who called or messaged to you!
Stay away from these two misleading and cheating brands!

LBO6051

Aug 30, 2021
Hi, everyone!

My phone of 3 years (Samsung Galaxy J4+) recently bricked after I accidentally dropped it into a pool, and now I have to look for a replacement.

I'm not that well informed about the smartphone tech, and I don't follow any news regarding the advancements in this industry so I would appreciate it if somebody would be willing to give me some suggestions on my next purchase. Here are my requirements:

BUDGET: €300 (I'm willing to increase this by around €50 as long as the improvements are worth it)

Things that I'm looking for in a new phone are:
  • Battery capacity
  • Durability (that is, able to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced like in 1 or 2 years)
  • Storage space (32GB or higher)
  • Resolution (720p or higher)
  • Size (less than 7")
RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. is not so much important to me as long as the phone has a decent chip and is not slow, so anything along the J4+ specs or better would be good enough for me.

Things that I don't care much about are:
  • Camera quality - Not a big camera user, and on the rare occasion where I do take a picture or record a video, I would just like that the picture/video quality does not look like garbage, otherwise I don't mind making sacrifices here
  • Fingerprint sensors
  • NFC, Infrared, Radio, etc.
  • Waterproofing, Dustproofing, etc. - While nice to have, it's not really something that I would be willing to pay a premium for
  • 5G - There's no infrastructure for it in my country right now (Serbia), and besides, I don't care about that sort of thing. The only use that I need from it is when I need to enable data for the internet because I cannot find a Wi-Fi to connect to, which I believe 4G is good enough for this

My usage on the phone is pretty casual. Aside from the couple of calls I make and the texts I send, I mostly spend my time web browsing or watching YouTube videos. I don't play video games, aside from something small like Minesweeper to pass the time while I'm in a waiting room. I don't listen to music frequently, and when I do, it's mostly via speakers, so a headphone jack is optional.

Searching the net, these are the phones that I found:
  • Poco F3 - €305
  • Poco X3 Pro - €185
  • Samsung Galaxy A51 - €193
  • Samsung Galaxy A52 (4G) - €310
  • Samsung Galaxy A72 - €331
  • OnePlus Nord - €193
  • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G - €222
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro - €176
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G - €125
  • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
  • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Searching the net, these are the phones that I found:
  • Poco F3 - €305
  • Poco X3 Pro - €185
  • Samsung Galaxy A51 - €193
  • Samsung Galaxy A52 (4G) - €310
  • Samsung Galaxy A72 - €331
  • OnePlus Nord - €193
  • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G - €222
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro - €176
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G - €125
  • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
  • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!
It's hard to say what is the best, if they are in your search criteria, just go for the cheapest or the average one.
Be very careful that Xiaomi and Poco do NOT have the notification led, don't make my same mistake I made with the Poco M3.
It's a nightmare, anything I receive I miss and I don't know what is happening when people send me a message, they make a video call request, a calendar reminder, NONE is displayed!
I made several attempts to reach Xiaomi and Poco, they NEVER replayed, be ware once you buy the phone, you're done for good!

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
But even worse! The Poco M3 doesn't have the notification led!
Anything the phone receives, SMSs, phone calls, Messenger messages, WhatsApp, Wechat, Line, calendar alerts etc. etc., if you miss the bip because the phone is in your pocket, you do

It's hard to say what is the best, if they are in your search criteria, just go for the cheapest or the average one.
Be very careful that Xiaomi and Poco do NOT have the notification led, don't make my same mistake I made with the Poco M3.
It's a nightmare, anything I receive I miss and I don't know what is happening when people send me a message, they make a video call request, a calendar reminder, NONE is displayed!
I made several attempts to reach Xiaomi and Poco, they NEVER replayed, be ware once you buy the phone, you're done for good!

Good to know. But is it only the low/mid range phones that don't have the notification led?

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Good to know. But is it only the low/mid range phones that don't have the notification led?
I can't tell. I only learned it after I paid for the trash phone and started dealing with it.
Poco and Xiaomi don't say anything, they only tell BS about how great is the camera, the processor and all other useless garbage, but no mention on the only thing that is important in a phone, a notification led!

Shadowthor

Jul 18, 2021
I can't tell. I only learned it after I paid for the trash phone and started dealing with it.
Poco and Xiaomi don't say anything, they only tell BS about how great is the camera, the processor and all other useless garbage, but no mention on the only thing that is important in a phone, a notification led!

I'm surprised they didn't respond at all. I have a feeling that a lot more phones will remove the notification led.

For those thinking of a new phone that need root.

Magisk favourite feature of hiding root to allow it to pass safetynet is phasing out until a new developer takes over. It might be something to keep in mind if you are planning to get a new phone to root and wanting to use apps that require root to be hidden.

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
Well, Poco and Redmi are sub-brands and Xiaomi is the parent to all these. And I never trust these Chinese brands because their hardware quality is really low. Motorola and Samsung are still better. All I look for is good processor and specifications and even if I have to buy a Helio processor, I make sure to resist unwanted ads and bloatware infested devices.

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Well, just the opposite bro. I will always stay with Android, though
Unfortunately smartphones (Android OS) have became very very sophisticated and hard to manage even more than computers due to the too many settings to deal with, add Google's own settings too.
For me it's ok but many people prefer iPhone because they don't understand anything, they just want to switch the phone on and use it.
I've used all Android versions and I must say that the latest versions added too many settings, they are good for privacy and permissions but again common people don't know how to deal with this stuff.
In my opinion Android OS needs a first start up interface where people can decide and set the main features especially regarding APPs' privacy, APPs to keep or to remove and permissions.

SultanGris

Mar 8, 2013
Unfortunately smartphones (Android OS) have became very very sophisticated and hard to manage even more than computers due to the too many settings to deal with, add Google's own settings too.
For me it's ok but many people prefer iPhone because they don't understand anything, they just want to switch the phone on and use it.
I've used all Android versions and I must say that the latest versions added too many settings, they are good for privacy and permissions but again common people don't know how to deal with this stuff.
In my opinion Android OS needs a first start up interface where people can decide and set the main features especially regarding APPs' privacy, APPs to keep or to remove and permissions.
Android has an "easy mode" for apple users 😂😂😂

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
Please advise me a phone with big battery and it must have the notification led.
Going to trash the Poco M3 that I just bought, very very bad Xiaomi & Poco.
They don't replay to e-mails nor to complaints on Facebook, very misleading and cheating companies!

ramandeepsingh01

Feb 8, 2021
Going to trash the Poco M3 that I just bought, very very bad Xiaomi & Poco.
Agree to that. These Xiaomi and Realme are not worth trusting. Although Oppo and Vivo are still good. For good battery backup, I would suggest a device with Stock Android like Motorola devices. I like the new Fusion variant so much but not sure if it has a notification LED. However, if you keep the vibration on for notifications, you can get to know the incoming notifications.

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
if you keep the vibration on for notifications, you can get to know the incoming notifications.
That is not what I need, I need a notification on the screen when it's locked like it was on a phone with notification led.
This phone is giving me headache, I would like to know the name and contact of that idiot who made it!
Xiaomi made Always on Screen App which is included in MIUI 12 but my latest updated MIUI 12 doesn't have it!
I heard that it's on available on Chinese Rom, what stupid people!
That moron must have serious problems!
I'm wasting my time with a just bought brand new phone!

Rhazag

Sep 7, 2021
Hi, I'm looking for a new phone.
I can choose between OnePlus 9, mi11, pixel 5, s21 or save 12€ per month and get the s20fe.
My current phone is a redmi note 9s and I'm quite happy, but I miss the oled of my old high end Sony/ samsung phones. In comparison with the gf mi10 the camera and the display are worse...

My main usage:
Browser with a lot of tabs
Calender and todoist
Read pdf, word,excel files
Music streaming(Deezer)
(Finance)news apps
Camera
Gaming( emulated and app store)
Sometimes I watch Netflix if I forgot my iPad

Good speakers would be good( mi10 for comparison)
which has the best battery and camera?
Which phone should I get?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your original feature set seems kinda contradicting: 4G + Qi + changeable battery

Last time I was in need of a new phone, I checked this entire list:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

First shootout is fairly easy, kick out all non-LTE ;)

Alternatively you could also put in your parameters at
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=umtsover&xf=162_kabelloses+Laden~3287_wechselbar~4283_LTE
    That showed even 17 models (I was surprised myself just now).

Or
    https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

Still, I'd recommend to start with those LOS devices (bootloader!). Good luck :cowboy:
    What is contradictory about wanting to be able to easily swap out a battery if needed and the phone to support Qi Wireless Charging? And 4G is related to the Cell Tower connection and has nothing to do with Battery & Charging. Are you saying no 4G phones have Qi Charging?

BTW thanks for the Phone search links. I did not know those existed...

So I looked at that 2nd link but it only seems to search from 3 brands of phones of which LG is the only one I recognize. or am I doing something wrong?

That last link helps it seems more all encompasing.
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.