[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

Fytdyh

I'm considering upgrading my phone and one of my buying criteria is that I want to be able to unlock the bootloader anytime, without any interaction with the company behind the phone. This means no registration, unlock codes etc. Ideally also no voiding the warranty, no efuses, no boot logo changes and possibility to restore full DRM support. What are my options?

So far I've found:
  • OnePlus - all models?
  • Pixels - all models?
  • Nothing Phone (1)
I'm currently using OnePlus 6T with its stock ROM because it just gets the job done and I love how low-maintenance it is, but I'm also happy with the fact that I can always flash something custom to give it additional year or two of usable lifespan. No need to let OnePlus know that I'm unlocking and I'm not dependent on their unlock code generator still being in service.

I'm considering newer OnePlus models, but honestly, I don't see any sensible upgrades… 8T and newer have overly aggressive photo sharpening, 8 (Pro) have rounded edges and I know accidental touches will be infuriating for me, 7T (Pro) don't have a proximity sensor and 7 (Pro) aren't that much of an upgrade really.

Nothing Phone (1) looks super promising and I think it tries to be a spiritual successor of OnePlus One, which had served me well for 4 years, but I don't want to suffer from early adopter pains again. So maybe Phone (2) next year.

Pixels… great cameras, but I can't find any good deals on them and I'm not exactly happy about having more Google in my life. I want to have flashing as an option, not a necessity.
Well, the oneplus 6t seems to still get custom roms. So why change it if still good and working? Just swap the battery, use a custom kernel and custom rom and essentially its a new phone. In a matter of years maybe nothing 3 should be a good choice for a phone.

Fytdyh

Hello, Everyone​

For overall usage which phone to buy? Oneplus 9 Pro, iPhone 13, or Samsung S21 FE(Exynos 2100).​

Need smartphone for Camera, Display and should last a day.

Thank You.
In terms of updates, the iPhone 13 will get more updates. That means better camera and battery management. I strongly suggest going iphone 13 in this case scenario. Oneplus does not deliver anymore in smartphones department. And I don't have high hopes for the s21 FE to get more than 3 updates.

gronostaj

Jun 24, 2008
Well, the oneplus 6t seems to still get custom roms. So why change it if still good and working? Just swap the battery, use a custom kernel and custom rom and essentially its a new phone. In a matter of years maybe nothing 3 should be a good choice for a phone.
The battery is still almost as good as new! And the phone works great overall, but I've made the mistake of upgrading to OOS11 which OnePlus apparently threw together hastily, fixed most major bugs and left users with unsupported and unpolished experience. I've actually enjoyed the stock experience on OOS10 and I'd happily downgrade, but I can't afford any downtime with this phone - so I need another one to migrate to, at least temporarily. And my wife's phone could really use an upgrade now, so I'm considering getting myself a new one and giving the 6T to her. If not for this opportunity, I'd just keep it for another year or so.

Fytdyh

The battery is still almost as good as new! And the phone works great overall, but I've made the mistake of upgrading to OOS11 which OnePlus apparently threw together hastily, fixed most major bugs and left users with unsupported and unpolished experience. I've actually enjoyed the stock experience on OOS10 and I'd happily downgrade, but I can't afford any downtime with this phone - so I need another one to migrate to, at least temporarily. And my wife's phone could really use an upgrade now, so I'm considering getting myself a new one and giving the 6T to her. If not for this opportunity, I'd just keep it for another year or so.
If you did your homework beforehand, the downtime could just 20 minutes. Around 20-30 minutes it takes for me to factory reset, unlock the bootloader, flash the rom, test the rom, flash the rom and lock.

gronostaj

Jun 24, 2008
If you did your homework beforehand, the downtime could just 20 minutes. Around 20-30 minutes it takes for me to factory reset, unlock the bootloader, flash the rom, test the rom, flash the rom and lock.
I've flashed my share of ROMs and I completely agree - but I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario. The problem with doing your homework is that sometimes you only realize you've missed something important when it's too late. Given that I'll have to wipe the device to unlock the bootloader and I can't make a full TWRP backup beforehand, I'd rather not take any risks.

dkonkin

Jan 10, 2012
Calgary
My OP6T is feeling sluggish these days!

Would like to purchase new(er) OnePlus but dual SIM is not in North American phones!!!!

My two choices:

1. Purchase the OnePlus 10 Pro (NE2213) Europe version. No Warranty, not sure it will work in Canada, USA and Mexico. Issues with 5G?

2. Install Custom ROM in OnePlus 6T. I am a bit of a noob so this does not come easy to me AND I use a MacBook Air (Almost all instructions use a PC)

Any advice is very much appreciated.

wiiix

Oct 8, 2022
iPhone 14 and Samsung galaxy z flip 4

which of the above is good for gaming and student need

Trunksleo

Mar 21, 2011
Which its the best camera on a phone up to 600 dollars??? I only care for the camera improvement from a s20 fe.

totek2007

Dec 13, 2013
Hello, I'm looking for new phone. (every middle price cost will be great).

I am focus on the best custom rom development with a great battery and maybe camera.

Currently I am using Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro (sweet) - OMG That was perfect budget phone with verry god custom rom support.

Nemgathos

Dec 10, 2018
What recent phone, that can cost up to EUR 250, will be supported by LineageOS developers for, at least, the next five years?

I am currently using a Motorola Moto G5 running LineageOS 18.1 which cost about EUR 120-150 four years ago when I bought it. There does not seem to be a more up to date version of LineageOS that is tailored for this device but I am sure that there will be another device that came out recently that will last as long as this phone did.

What phone can you recommend considering a budget of up to EUR 250?

Sarca73

Sep 6, 2022
Hi Friends ! For using a especially for photographic use and connection compatibility with car radio, which mobile phone (android system) would you recommend me on the figure of 300 euros? I would be oriented between a xiaomi or Oppo .... Thanks for helping me!
Cris

Last edited:

Gorrons

Nov 15, 2022
Right now my phone is Huawei Y5 2017. Not bad phone but in fact i want to change it for a new one. I would take Xiaomi as i heard "they" are actually great phones

EMIYA_c

Apr 5, 2022
Best phone to buy under 31000taka/25000rupee/$300?

Pls tell me what phone to buy that has good custom rom support and everything else. I was thinking about realme 9 speed edition. If not this phone then what should I buy? Looking for good chip, good camera, good storage, touch id, 5g don't matter, dual sim, good display, expandable storage, and good battery life. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
A used or refurbished Note 10+. Only the Exynos variant is easily rootable however the Snapdragon variant is more desirable. The Exynos generally goes for more even though it's hardware is not superior because of this. Pick your poison, a stock N10+ of either chipset is a very capable phone with one of the best displays available. I have two, both are stock Snapdragons, they are a joy to use once optimized. Supports up to 1tb of V30 rated SD card.

Android 9 is best in my opinion, 10 is ok but 11 is not as desirable and 12 may puke all over you. Most used N10+'s will be loaded with either 11 or 12, new ones with 10 or perhaps 9.

Arnold97

Dec 23, 2019
Hello! At the moment I have Samsung A51 is it worth upgrading to Pixel 6a?
Will I feel the difference?
The most important thing for me is selfie camera.

LucasBS1

May 6, 2015
Hello

I'm having trouble finding a cheap chinese tablet that meets some criteria:

- Must have GPS
- Must support TWRP (official, even better)
- At least 3GB of RAM
- SD Card support
- Must be found on chinese sites like Aliexpress (preferrable). Thing is, it must be "global".

Optionals:
- (somewhat important) one that allows me to flash ROM and related via fastboot instead of some dark tool.
- (low importance) one that has a ROM somewhat available on the internet

Can anyone make a recommendation ?

Last edited:

chrysopra

Sep 18, 2019
LG G4
LG V20
Why don´t you look out for a used tablet? A 3-5 year old former middle-class model may still outperform any new entry level device. Also, on more common brands, you'll have community support and often custom ROMs, which allow to use Android versions and security patch levels (far) beyond the stock versions. Yes, in used devices, the battery may show some level of degradation, but even then, the uptime may be significant higher than with a cheap new super lowcost model...

Reactions: ipdev and LucasBS1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why don´t you look out for a used tablet? A 3-5 year old former middle-class model may still outperform any new entry level device. Also, on more common brands, you'll have community support and often custom ROMs, which allow to use Android versions and security patch levels (far) beyond the stock versions. Yes, in used devices, the battery may show some level of degradation, but even then, the uptime may be significant higher than with a cheap new super lowcost model...
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.