• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[discussion] Which Oreo ROM are you running and why

Search This thread

groshnack

Oct 1, 2013
Paris
Google Pixel 6
I was about to jump on nos bus I saw people complaining about battery life , so currently I am thinking of trying either official RR or validus , which one do you think I should try ?

I used NOS for several weeks, and I had a very good battery life, one of the best I ever had on OP3. I don't think the battery problems are rom-related. NOS has also very good performance, is very stable, and contains all required features for my needs. I switched to RR last week, it is very good also, seems very stable. I found battery is maybe slightly worse than NOS, but idle drain is very good (I lose 1 or 2% a night, with all on), and I found some features are missing but surely will be there in next updates.
(FYI: I am using OP3, decrypted, EXT4, magisk 15.3)

Reactions: Keyvannn

reco1

May 12, 2011
cairo
I used NOS for several weeks, and I had a very good battery life, one of the best I ever had on OP3. I don't think the battery problems are rom-related. NOS has also very good performance, is very stable, and contains all required features for my needs. I switched to RR last week, it is very good also, seems very stable. I found battery is maybe slightly worse than NOS, but idle drain is very good (I lose 1 or 2% a night, with all on), and I found some features are missing but surely will be there in next updates.
(FYI: I am using OP3, decrypted, EXT4, magisk 15.3)

Performance wise are they similar ?

albarovero

Dec 30, 2012
I've been using OMNI for a while. Battery life is as good as OOS, very responsive, and feature packed.
NOS while also good, I found had some bugs here and there. Things were added and rolled back in the daily releases because they broke this and that. I felt I needed more stability and moved away from it. But it's still good.
I also tried DU, which works well, but still in RC and therefore it's lacking a lot of features the stable DU has. When the weeklies start rolling out and all the normal features are added, I'll give it another shot.

RKBD

Jun 20, 2016
koszalin
I was about to jump on nos bus I saw people complaining about battery life , so currently I am thinking of trying either official RR or validus , which one do you think I should try ?
i don't like both
both roms are really bad designed and with bad optimization. I don't want spend the rest of life on oncology.
I'm currently don't have any good os with good battery life and without lags.
I'm only waiting for aosp extended or oos 8.1 (i know aosp extended is bloated with useless stuff and wallpapers made with gimp but i want to see blur option and battery and clock changer)

nishidr14

Nov 1, 2015
mumbai
After reading all the comments most of them prefer omni I guess. I was looking to try something else, I dont know i face signal issues in omni compared to OOS. Also the cast does not work in Omni. Hopefully have to settle with OOS until something stable is out.

qhsusb_bulk

Oct 29, 2014
I don't want to disrespect devs but i think there is no oreo custom rom to use daily for now(at least for me), i tried a lot oreo custom rom, some buggy, some drains battery really fast, some has not working camera or very core features. I went to OOS betas, they are not perfect but they have no problem for daily use and no interesting stupid bugs.

. If you are on Nougat and you are happy, stay and don't broke your setup. Wait for AOSPA/Lineage oreo release.

If you want Oreo, use OOS beta. I am running it for 2+ months, it didn't give me any problem.

These are just mine ideas and experiences. Not trying to discredit anything.

EDIT: I can take back my statement now. Official Lineage and Omni releases are really good. I am sure Nitrogen and Xtended roms are very stable too(according to their users). So Oreo custom roms have a good standard and they are not experimental anymore.

Sent from my OnePlus 3 using XDA Labs

Last edited:

aymahalawa

Apr 14, 2015
Dubai
OnePlus 6T
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I don't want to disrespect devs but i think there is no oreo custom rom to use daily for now(at least for me), i tried a lot oreo custom rom, some buggy, some drains battery really fast, some has not working camera or very core features. I went to OOS betas, they are not perfect but they have no problem for daily use and no interesting stupit bugs.

. If you are on Nougat and you are happy, stay and don't broke your setup. Wait for AOSPA/Lineage oreo release.

If you want Oreo, use OOS beta. I am running it for 2+ months, it didn't give me any problem.

These are just mine ideas and experiences. Not trying to discredit anything.
Well , people taste is different . But you miss a lot of action ;)

I am currently on Omni and for me it's better than the open beta but of course as I said ; it just my taste

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs

Reactions: qhsusb_bulk

qhsusb_bulk

Oct 29, 2014
Well , people taste is different . But you miss a lot of action ;)

I am currently on Omni and for me it's better than the open beta but of course as I said ; it just my taste

Okay thanks for saying your idea, actually i don't like OOS betas at all too(firstly because battery life) but i need a stable/reliable phone, good camera etc. and only OOS betas gives that things for me.

EDIT: My post above this is edited, you can read it.

Sent from my OnePlus 3 using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: aymahalawa

reco1

May 12, 2011
cairo
i don't like both
both roms are really bad designed and with bad optimization. I don't want spend the rest of life on oncology.
I'm currently don't have any good os with good battery life and without lags.
I'm only waiting for aosp extended or oos 8.1 (i know aosp extended is bloated with useless stuff and wallpapers made with gimp but i want to see blur option and battery and clock changer)

Why mate i am currently on RR and I am liking it so far and the performance also is pretty good

G

GuestD0375

I'm currently on Z Unleashed. I'm getting insane battery life with great performance. I did change the CPU governor to Alucard and I/o scheduler to Maple

Shadow Waffle

Feb 22, 2015
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
While on Paranoid Android Nougat I wanted to upgrade to Oreo as fast as possible, and since Oxygen OS released pretty quickly I flashed it.
It was fine, the battery life was ok but nothing fancy, I did miss the customizability of community ROMs though. A few days ago I wanted to flash Oreo 8.1, but since Paranoid Android didn't even release an Oreo 8.0 build yet,
I had to look for something new (I didn't want to use Oxygen OS). I Installed AOSP Extended, which had multiple issues from the start. The screen was stuttering and the whole device ran very slowly with poor performance.

Despite the bad past I had with Resurrection Remix, I decided to give it one more try and flashed their 8.1 build. It runs great, battery life is above good and has some nice customizability options I need.
I know it has a great community with quite frequent updates. The only issue I had was Magisk related, which isn't their fault and I got it running anyway. I would recommend RR 8.1 (OnePlus 3) to anyone. It just works!

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ

?

Battery life is the ONLY reason why I use NOS. I can get at least 3 days out of it with 5 hour SOT on my OP3 not OP3T.
Only reason I can get that is because of the wakelock blocker that is built into the ROM. I forgot what list there was, but you can probably find it, was on a GitHub page somewhere.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

While on Paranoid Android Nougat I wanted to upgrade to Oreo as fast as possible, and since Oxygen OS released pretty quickly I flashed it.
It was fine, the battery life was ok but nothing fancy, I did miss the customizability of community ROMs though. A few days ago I wanted to flash Oreo 8.1, but since Paranoid Android didn't even release an Oreo 8.0 build yet,
I had to look for something new (I didn't want to use Oxygen OS). I Installed AOSP Extended, which had multiple issues from the start. The screen was stuttering and the whole device ran very slowly with poor performance.

Despite the bad past I had with Resurrection Remix, I decided to give it one more try and flashed their 8.1 build. It runs great, battery life is above good and has some nice customizability options I need.
I know it has a great community with quite frequent updates. The only issue I had was Magisk related, which isn't their fault and I got it running anyway. I would recommend RR 8.1 (OnePlus 3) to anyone. It just works!

If you hadn't heard, I think they are skipping 8.0 entirely and going straight to 8.1. That is what a lot of ROMs did.

RKBD

Jun 20, 2016
koszalin

I'll use RR but i don't want to see my oncologist when i open power menu
is here any substratum theme what theme power menu icons to stock aosp one?

reco1

May 12, 2011
cairo

I second that I have been using RR for 3 day now and I am

Really liking it has some good features and the performance is very nice with decent battery I have heard people saying that updating caesium kernel to the latest version improves the battery life a bit , below is a screen shot of the battery life .

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20180218-230227.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180218-230227.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 321

syl0n

Nov 3, 2010
Omni. Because out of all the ROMs I tried its the most stable ROM yet. Only issue I have with it so far is not being able to change battery icon type in status bar which is fairly minor! :p Using it for a month now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm actually running on NOS
    I'm back from cypheros test build because it's have too much bugs 5.1
    Omni doesn't have new brightness slider and color manager and screen recorder so I'm not going to flash it rn (I'm also feel bloated by many useless apps like matlog music app and other omni apps)
    i tried aex, slimm, candy, pixel experience, cosmicos, los 15.1, aicp but they have too much bugs for me (many of them not have system ui crash or system)
    oxygen os as 8.0 is too slow for me i can't even fast type with any kernel on xda for oos (also battery life is bad)
    I'm staying with Omni/NOS until AOSPA or cypheros gets stable enough to use it for daily driver.
    for people who are asking for DU:

DU builds: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dirty-unicorns/files/oneplus3/

I got that from YouTube review video and it's saying not official !
    yes, same here . seems to be a firmware issue . 3t works , 3 doesn't .
    https://plus.google.com/+AlexCruz/posts/XM4tbvw4ZyZ
    patients i guess .
    DU Dev has reuploaded the build working for op3
    How did you find it? This was my favourite on Nougat. Did you test it?
    I was searching for DU Oreo builds to try it out and by luck I found it in the description of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVFrUZ9-Krs (Indian review so I didn't watch it.)
    I am using Omni 8.1 (Build 20171231), no problem, stable enough for daily use. Flashed it with unofficial gapps nano and openbeta29 modem+ firmware package.

Clean flash is recommended, I tried dirty flash from Omni 7 Build 20171129(around this time) and found there were so many weird bugs that shouldn't be there from the first place.

At first, the most difficult thing is to find the unofficial nano gapps for Oreo 8.1 that also must be compatible with Omni 8.1.

Then, there are some applications (on my case, drastic and Firefox) reported some libraries can't be found. "Detected problem with app native libraries ...". It is still running normally though. Firefox crashed sometimes when being used heavily (browsing and switching between windows, maybe just Firefox thing).

PicoTTS kept crashing no matter what I did, so I used Google TTS instead and then remove PicoTTS from TWRP File Manager.

While it feels smoother in Oreo (Omni 8), combining Omni 8.1 with AKT profile (Project Zhana's) did help me to squeeze longer battery life. Omni 8 seemed like it doesn't have init.d support so I just run the profile script manually every boot. (Might be applicable via Tasker? I dunno)

Google camera HDR+ port is running normally and I can use potrait mode (motion photo is disabled as I don't use Google photos, I didn't see any difference between motion photos and normal photos). Back HDR+ is working while front HDR+ and also front potrait mode are broken.

Also, on Omni 8, the customizations are quite limited compared to Omni 7. I am still okay with it though.

Other than that, everything is quite similar.