[Discussion] Why is it that we don't see more AOSP Z3C ROMs?

Search This thread

FcukBloat

• Jun 18, 2012
    yes me too really don't know why.. only thing I can think is that there are just a few devs having this phone.. many goes for samsung crap!! :crying:

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
    Probably because unlocking the bootloader kills some of the enhancements that make it such a good phone. To be successful, third party ROMs need to offer clear benefits without hobbling features.

Also, Sony's ROMs are clean (like Motorola's). So Sony users aren't trying to escape a bulky overlay like TouchWiz or HTC's Sense.

schnidex

Jun 3, 2011
    With Sony's awesome commitment to having buildable AOSP ROMs for many of their phones hosted on Github, you would think that the ROM community would be abuzz with development. Why is it that there are only a few AOSP choices?

I would love a Google Play Edition-style ROM for the Z3C. Anyone else?

My suspicion is that, because people often want to work on the latest thing, we missed the boat because of how long it took to root without losing DRM keys.

Reactions: istux

xd1936

Dec 4, 2006
    Probably because unlocking the bootloader kills some of the enhancements that make it such a good phone. To be successful, third party ROMs need to offer clear benefits without hobbling features.

Also, Sony's ROMs are clean (like Motorola's). So Sony users aren't trying to escape a bulky overlay like TouchWiz or HTC's Sense.

How clean is "clean"? I'm looking for a replacement for my 2013 Moto X, and this is one of the phones that piqued my interest.

istux

Jun 26, 2012
    Milano
    we missed the boat because of how long it took to root without losing DRM keys.
    Totally agree with you.

At the beginning there were many devs which couldn't unlock because of warranty risks. :crying:

I guess this is the only reason, as the device is really fantastic.

Yes, now we are a good number and keep growing... but, actually, we are almost good users, nothing more...
    WE NEED MORE DEVELOPERS
    ...and if there wasn't a reward for root, nothing would have happened so far. That's the sad truth...

Last edited:
    Reactions: schnidex

xd1936

Dec 4, 2006
    I had two 2013 Moto X phones. The Z3 Compact is exactly the device I always wanted the Moto X to be. And then some.

That's encouraging! Thanks for the thoughts. As a big fan of the Google Play Edition devices, I was hesitant to go for a phone with Sony's customization. Glad to hear they're not too intrusive.

mrrflagg

Nov 15, 2013
    The back of a truck
    For me I would love to see slimroms kitkat for our device, I would sacrifice DRM for that. But saying that I would be happy if someone could integrate notification bar brightness control and proper dark UI theme

Zurgthe3rd

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    How clean is "clean"? I'm looking for a replacement for my 2013 Moto X, and this is one of the phones that piqued my interest.
    I have several devices including the 2013 Moto X and the Z3C. The Moto X is very close to stock Google Android. The Z3C does not have a heavy skin on it but it does have a lot of bloatware, although you can disable some of it. I put a third party launcher (Nova) on the Z3C because I don't like the left pane slide out window Sony uses, and I like a few other Nova features. Frankly, if the Moto X had the battery life of the Z3C I would prefer using the Moto X. I think it just feels better when holding it. However, the Z3C looks good and runs well (better specs than the Moto too) so it is a good choice too. It just does not feel very secure when handling it due to the glass back.

xd1936

Dec 4, 2006
    I have several devices including the 2013 Moto X and the Z3C. The Moto X is very close to stock Google Android. The Z3C does not have a heavy skin on it but it does have a lot of bloatware, although you can disable some of it. I put a third party launcher (Nova) on the Z3C because I don't like the left pane slide out window Sony uses, and I like a few other Nova features. Frankly, if the Moto X had the battery life of the Z3C I would prefer using the Moto X. I think it just feels better when holding it. However, the Z3C looks good and runs well (better specs than the Moto too) so it is a good choice too. It just does not feel very secure when handling it due to the glass back.

Lots of good thoughts, thanks for the insight.

Reactions: scottjb

Hansoliv

Jul 12, 2007
    People's phone

There is no escaping the "people's phone".
    Gal*xy and iph*ne will always have more development. They have good products, but has hard as other company try, there is no escaping the imitation game.

drorcun

Sep 20, 2008
    Turkey
    i used galaxy s2 before. even there's no sourcecode of crappy exynos processors there are a lot of custom roms working flawlesly for galaxy series. sony gives us every code that developers need but there's no custom rom for us, by the way cm is working with a lot of bugs.. hope we will see more custom rom for our z3c..

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
    Perth
    Totally agree with you.

At the beginning there were many devs which couldn't unlock because of warranty risks. :crying:

Yes, now we are a good number and keep growing... but, actually, we are almost good users, nothing more...
    WE NEED MORE DEVELOPERS
    ...and if there wasn't a reward for root, nothing would have happened so far. That's the sad truth...

Well continuing with the idea that devs need financial motivation, cus I know I do for most things in life haha. My previous phone was the lg g2, and I recall at least one Dev was donated a phone so he could work on making Roms for it.

Would it be unreasonable to perhaps try the same thing here? Same theory as the root bounty and all that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      With Sony's awesome commitment to having buildable AOSP ROMs for many of their phones hosted on Github, you would think that the ROM community would be abuzz with development. Why is it that there are only a few AOSP choices?

My suspicion is that, because people often want to work on the latest thing, we missed the boat because of how long it took to root without losing DRM keys.
      I had two 2013 Moto X phones. The Z3 Compact is exactly the device I always wanted the Moto X to be. And then some.
      we missed the boat because of how long it took to root without losing DRM keys.
      Totally agree with you.

WE NEED MORE DEVELOPERS

Lots of good thoughts, thanks for the insight.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone