[Discussion] Zuk Z2 Plus - most stable / least buggy ROM for regular use

Search This thread

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Howdy !

Hello All,

Hope all of you of fellow users are staying safe and well.

So, a quick check if any new ROM found/tried by fellow users. Any new experiences etc etc!

At my end, I continue to use the last build of AOSIP Pie and all good so far except some random heating issues. Posted review earlier today in the thread
@vuckovic_stefan has given some thoughts already, will explore.

Also wanted to share, I learnt today, that we have a new Pie ROM Derpest Pie Non-Treble from dev @Pranav Temkar. No thread on XDA, learnt from TG. Checking if anyone of you has tried it? The latest build, 24th Jun is here

Hello All,

Hope all of you of fellow users are staying safe and well.

So, a quick check if any new ROM found/tried by fellow users. Any new experiences etc etc!

At my end, I continue to use the last build of AOSIP Pie and all good so far except some random heating issues. Posted review earlier today in the thread

@vuckovic_stefan has given some thoughts already, will explore.

Also wanted to share, I learnt today, that we have a new Pie ROM Derpest Pie Non-Treble from dev @Pranav Temkar. No thread on XDA, learnt from TG. Checking if anyone of you has tried it? The latest build, 24th Jun is here

Thank you for the update.. had been on arrow oreo for few months now :D:D:D and was looking for rom change and saw your update.. downloaded and flashed as well.. got a blank scree on first boot up.. rebooted once and thankfully all is good.. lets see how it turns out.. from Pranav's review battry back up looks good.. fingers crossed..

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Thank you for the update.. had been on arrow oreo for few months now :D:D:D and was looking for rom change and saw your update.. downloaded and flashed as well.. got a blank scree on first boot up.. rebooted once and thankfully all is good.. lets see how it turns out.. from Pranav's review battry back up looks good.. fingers crossed..
Nice Sanjay. You don't leave any opportunity to try new ROM [emoji14]

Look forward to your feedback/review

Nice Sanjay. You don't leave any opportunity to try new ROM [emoji14]

Look forward to your feedback/review

Hehehe..???

ROM looks good.. Has all smoothness of aosip with added custumization of derpfest.. Is smooth as well..

Only drawback is safety net and CTS fails.. Do you have any suggestions or work around for this.. Have messaged dev on TG .. Awaiting response.. I think it is due selinux being permissive..

If we can get safety to pass, then it can be a daily driver..

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Hehehe..[emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

ROM looks good.. Has all smoothness of aosip with added custumization of derpfest.. Is smooth as well..

Only drawback is safety net and CTS fails.. Do you have any suggestions or work around for this.. Have messaged dev on TG .. Awaiting response.. I think it is due selinux being permissive..

If we can get safety to pass, then it can be a daily driver..
Hmm, guess I don't have experience of selinux permissive rom...

Hope you did use Magisk with Hide enabled for all Google related apps. And changed device fingerprint to proven one

Hmm, guess I don't have experience of selinux permissive rom...

Hope you did use Magisk with Hide enabled for all Google related apps. And changed device fingerprint to proven one

Yes.. that did the trick.. installed props config and did magisk hide.. set 1+ 3T fingerprint and now both CTS and safety net pass.. so all good..

Have set up the phone.. rom has built in Dirac , kcal, and kernel profiles like balanced, battery saver, ultra battery saver and performance.. I have set battery saver.. no impact on performance yet..

Dirac doesn't function or I am unable to notice any difference.. profiles are only for mi headphones/earphones.. atleast a custom profile should have been there for user config..

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Yes.. that did the trick.. installed props config and did magisk hide.. set 1+ 3T fingerprint and now both CTS and safety net pass.. so all good..

Have set up the phone.. rom has built in Dirac , kcal, and kernel profiles like balanced, battery saver, ultra battery saver and performance.. I have set battery saver.. no impact on performance yet..

Dirac doesn't function or I am unable to notice any difference.. profiles are only for mi headphones/earphones.. atleast a custom profile should have been there for user config..

Hmm, so seems so far all good. With CTS and Safetynet Green, bank app and others would be fine now.

Keep on exploring and maybe over a few charge cycles, you will get a better sense of stability.

If all remains good, guess this ROM can serve as next upgrade after current Pie choices - AOSIP / SuperiorOS etc

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oizat1V4Npd9yO-QAJQRUWbnjs94JlJZ/view

SuperiorOS pie with April security patch.

Have in mind there is no perfect custom rom...
Our device is built cheap, so u cannot avoid heating. If rom.has aggressive thermals it will downclock cpu fast if not device will heat.
Best is to underclock to 1.3 small cores and 1.8 big ones.
Pie is stable enough for every user.
Q will be in a few months, even now it is quite stable, I'm on SuperiorOS Q currently. Maybe there are some fetaures missing but it has everything I use. That might not be the case with everyone.

Mate I am on this build right now but deep sleep is a bit bugged.. I am getting only 80% right now
Would you recommend nameless r31 uv1 or the latest snapshot from tg??

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
Mate I am on this build right now but deep sleep is a bit bugged.. I am getting only 80% right now
Would you recommend nameless r31 uv1 or the latest snapshot from tg??

I had good battery life with that build... But u can try snapshot I posted, search on Nameless kernel thread...

Do u face black screen sometimes when u share something via any app? I faced this on LineageOS, and on that rom, they are both on later security patches...

With older official superior I have never faced this. Nor with Aosip...

Also, for your deep sleep, most probably it is some app. I deleted FB because I found it drains battery during standby. Now I'm testing some fb mod app from XDA with some.of the processes disabled in background, will see, looks ok for now. Search for some app and use Accubattery app to track deep sleep.

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai

Sanjay, I see from comments that you are on SuperiorOS Pie.

So AOSIP Derpfest having issues?

I had good battery life with that build... But u can try snapshot I posted, search on Nameless kernel thread...

Do u face black screen sometimes when u share something via any app? I faced this on LineageOS, and on that rom, they are both on later security patches...

With older official superior I have never faced this. Nor with Aosip...

Also, for your deep sleep, most probably it is some app. I deleted FB because I found it drains battery during standby. Now I'm testing some fb mod app from XDA with some.of the processes disabled in background, will see, looks ok for now. Search for some app and use Accubattery app to track deep sleep.

Thankfully it's much better now..that could have been initial numbers.. down to 3.5% per hour now from 6-7% per hour...

No I am not getting any black screen while doing any share in any app.. I have tried chrome, firefox, reddit, insta and whatsapp..

Don't know about rogue app as I install only few apps which I use on all roms

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Sanjay, I see from comments that you are on SuperiorOS Pie.

So AOSIP Derpfest having issues?

Not many issues .. it's good to use as daily driver.. I had few app installation issues where in I would try to install app and it would get stuck at screen where you press install or cancel ..

I had to force reboot.. the app would install but wouldn't open.. although this happened with only akt app.. I tried other apps and no issues.. so I tempted to try it again..

Dark theme is not that refined as some text in few dialog boxes gets hidden due to black on black..

Dirac does not function or I am not able to sense any changes in audio.

Most imapcting issue is back gesture on u touch not working randomly along with left and right swipe gesture . Swipe up gesture working always..

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
Thankfully it's much better now..that could have been initial numbers.. down to 3.5% per hour now from 6-7% per hour...

No I am not getting any black screen while doing any share in any app.. I have tried chrome, firefox, reddit, insta and whatsapp..

Don't know about rogue app as I install only few apps which I use on all roms

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Not many issues .. it's good to use as daily driver.. I had few app installation issues where in I would try to install app and it would get stuck at screen where you press install or cancel ..

I had to force reboot.. the app would install but wouldn't open.. although this happened with only akt app.. I tried other apps and no issues.. so I tempted to try it again..

Dark theme is not that refined as some text in few dialog boxes gets hidden due to black on black..

Dirac does not function or I am not able to sense any changes in audio.

Most imapcting issue is back gesture on u touch not working randomly along with left and right swipe gesture . Swipe up gesture working always..
3.5% per hour? Standby time? Thats kinda high number mate. It should loose just a few percents, per night...

Attachments

• _20200714_195410.JPG
    _20200714_195410.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 133

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
3.5-4% per hour is combined usage ..screen shows higher due to gaming from past 2 days..

Ok, thats nice result, i find Popthecorn kernel very nice, more battery conservative than LineageOS but still very smooth.

I just change 2 things with MTweaks app:

1. Decrease zRam size to something lower than 2gb. I use 768mb zRam, default for our device is 512mb. No use of such big ram, unless u have tons of apps running in backgorund. Its also cpu demanding.

2. Enable disabled wifi wakelocks cuz i need instant notifications on my chat apps.

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
For me. AEX 5.8(OREO)+ Moxie 5.1 kernel combination works great.

Thanks Aditya for feedback. Yes - back in the day, we did have couple of users recommending AEX 5.7 (Oreo) even while 5.8 was available - read in post #2

So - have you tried any other ROMs since then or no? Would you mind posting some stats in terms of battery, perfomance etc? Any bug you observed?

adityanikhare

Account currently disabled
Jun 19, 2015
GB
meettomy.site
Thanks Aditya for feedback. Yes - back in the day, we did have couple of users recommending AEX 5.7 (Oreo) even while 5.8 was available - read in post #2

So - have you tried any other ROMs since then or no? Would you mind posting some stats in terms of battery, perfomance etc? Any bug you observed?
Yes i have tried several roms. But none of them seemed perfect. Some had heating issue ,battery drain, etc. I havent found any bugs so far on this rom. I have attached some screenshots of battery usage( my battery is almost 3years old).
Note: i have under clocked BIG CORES to 1800mhz and SMALL CORES to 1200MHZ. THIS HELPS GETTING MORE JUICE AND dosent affect performance. Everything still feels smooth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20200720-085722.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20200720-085722.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_Settings_20200720-085719.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20200720-085719.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_Settings_20200720-085731.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20200720-085731.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 101

adityanikhare

Account currently disabled
Jun 19, 2015
GB
meettomy.site

I havent tried AEX 5.7. I JUST DOWNLOADED THE LATEST BUILD OF OREO.
EDIT: I HAVENT TESTED VOLTE cause i dont use jio.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Feedbacks Summarized

Thanks to all for sharing feedbacks/experiences. I am summarizing below, with focus on Oreo ROMs!.

EDIT 16th July 2020 : in last 2 years, we have also seen good development in terms of Pie & Q ROMs. So now we have some recommendations on stable and good for daily use Pie ROMs too

OREO ROMs (update basis discussions till Nov'18)

Resurrection Remix RR 6.2.1 Oreo is considered good by most - received feedbacks from @seking @Thisisaarush @Z750z @NaXal
    One open issue: No auto call record
    It has loads of Customizations, the final build released updated with Oct'18 security patches.

MIUI 10 ROM seems to be a good choice too as per feedback from @sivaramareddy @sidS6
    It is stable and has good battery life

AEX 5.7 Oreo seems quite good as per feedback from @Vishwanath01 @sivaramareddy @suvankar.smart
    They have not shared much details but what I see is that v5.7 is recommended by all even when the latest is v5.8. This ROM not updated after Aug'18
    Download from versions availablehere

Jaguar Oreo is recommended as per feedback from @sanjay.2704 @seking @mGforCe
    There seems to be battery issue/lag after couple of weeks of use. But with the entirely rebased ROM released, there are lot of hopes. Finally VoLTE working too - was broken since June build.

Hopefully the battery issue is resolved after few builds of the Rebase ROM. Having said that - this ROM is worth watching for!! The best thing is that dev is updating atleast once a month. With issues being reported, he updated within few weeks too!!

Pls note that have considered only those comments which had some level of details. Also there were more recommendations but since supported by only 1 user not included in the summary.

PIE ROMs (update basis discussions till Jun'20)

[Official - k4.4 // Beta - k4.9] AOSiP Pie is considered good by many and am @mGforCe using for last few months.
    One open issue: Think Miracast doesn't work. The final build released has Sep'19 security patches. Link here

[ROM][9.0][TREBLE] SuperiorOS is also recommended one and we have @vuckovic_stefan using in on and off (when not trying other ROMs :p)
    The final official build released has Oct'19 security patches. Link here
    There is also an unofficial build released with Apr'20 security patches. Link here, credits @vuckovic_stefan
    Hello,

Most of the ROMs here are pretty stable as daily driver. Some are little better with some aspect of usage, like for example, in general, non treble ROMs better with heavy games like PubG compare to Treble. Now that doesn't mean treble ROMs suck with PubG, its just marginally lower grfx details for smoother playing exp.

Ever since introduction of treble, for last few months, I have been only with treble, so I can only comment on Treble ROMs. I have tried PE, AEX, AiCP, RR (Treble), crDroid and let me tell you all are equally good. However, having said that, few lose their edge time to time with some random update and it happens with all. So as an user, you will find your self switching between few time to time.

All these ROMs easily offer 6 hours 30 mins or more SoT for daily use (except heavy gaming). Game on them and SoT will come down based on how hard you are playing. Usually for heavy gamer, SoT is around 4 hours or bit less. All these ROMs have everything function, from finger print to Bluetooth.

At present, I am with RR 6.1. Switched from AiCP since at this point, for few previously weekly, AiCP is having some performance issue. Not that its slow, but RR feels little better compare to AiCP. Who knows, may be with next weekly, AiCP may out perform anything else.

Biggest point is, thanks to all these hardworking devs, I am spoiled with choices. So many of them. All are equally good but with some many options, I am spoiled to write comparison even for these slightest issues.

So its really hard or would be unfair to name single ROM to sum up the answer !!

Thanks.
    I've had this phone for over 3 years, and have tried almost every ROM that has been produced for this device. The truth is that none of the ROMs for this phone are perfect. But there are a lot of good ones. I have driven myself to the point of insanity by constantly flashing ROMs, and let me tell you, it is not worth it. My recommendation is just to stick with AOSiP Pie and forget about it. For me, this is the most stable ROM and it offers a decent amount of customisation with good battery. The battery life is noticeably a lot better than LineageOS and I don't find myself charging as much.

In regards to the Android 10 ROMs, they are slowly improving and a lot now offer support for encryption. If you want Android 10 then I would advise HavocOS. Be warned, there are still a few issues like USB tethering that is not working, but overall the ROM is very good and offers decent battery. I have found that most of the Android 10 ROMs have weird spacing in the quick settings panel, where the date and statusbar icons are shifted too far towards the sides. Personally this bothers me because it looks messy. HavocOS does not have this issue, and you can also set custom spacing for the main statusbar in Android.

If you just want a stable alternative to ZUI then I would recommend AOSiP. Official LineageOS is also very stable, and definately my second favourite, but as I mentioned the battery life is noticeably worse. It's possible that flashing Droopy Kernel would offer some improvement, but I have not tried it myself.
    Can you suggest ,from where can i get genuine or a branded, authenticate battery for Lenovo Z2 plus?
    Earlier , I've checked on AliExpress and the seller was selling 4100 mah battery for inr rs 750 ($11) , but i don't know whether to go with it or not?( Idk whether it is legit or not~)
    Service centre is asking inr Rs.2100 ($30) for the battery , i think it is costly ~
    My battery backup has become poorer over time ( currently on AEX 5.8) , getting 2.5- 3 hours of SOT without any sort of games, social media, just casual chrome ,2 -3 calls for 2-7 minutes max. and YouTube .
    What did you do to get SOT of 6-7 hours?
    I always try to charge my battery from 30-90% from Lenovo's chargers provided, my phone is 1.5 years old.
    Whether i go to any other oreo ROM ,,or even Nougat ROM, I'm assuming that either it is battery or my phone's system , that is causing problem !
    Seen a thread that a user has got battery from Amazon.in and it is not suiting him well , makes me worried !
    Can you assist me to find it out ?
    What should i do now?

Change rom.. I went through aex thread and lot of users have reported not so good sot. People have reported better sot for 2 year old z2 .

1. Who is ur network provider? Do u have 1 or 2 Sims?

2. What's ur baseband? How is signal reception in ur area?

3. Try arrow Oreo. Amongst all Oreo two roms giving best back up as of now, I feel, are crdroid and arrow.. development for crdroid has stopped and it had the signal fluctuation bug which has been fixed on arrow..

If u have Indian baseband 1.76 then don't do any thing . Do a super clean flash.. wipe everything (system, data, art, cache, vendor and internal data if u can) and then flash arrow. If u are unable to wipe internal data then make sure to delete Android folder from internal after wiping but before flashing rom. Use pico or nano gapps latest.

4. Let rom settle overnight.. next day flash prototype 3.18 latest .. install spectrum from play store and select desired profile.. u can use ka to further tweak frequencies. Try different governors as well..

While setting up prototype during installation just do next next.. u can select noop for battery friendly governor .. interactive is also good.. can be changed later in ka as well.

5. After set up, for even more battery friendly tweaks:
    If u root which I am sure u would, use app like air frozen (from play store), freeze unwanted sys apps. Make sure u know what is being frozen.
    Freeze rarely used user apps. Like I keep apps like chrome, YouTube, play games etc frozen with shortcut on home screen.. whenever I have to use the app, I simply tap on shortcut and app is active.. once I exit app, it is frozen once again.. it's just like disabling / uninstalling the app but it's still there when u want it.. with all user data intact ..

6. Observe and report back.. wait for atleast 3 days to let rom settle .. this would let rom cache and do its things.. also let u compare and see if it's actually battery issue or rom issue.. use accubattery and bbs/gsam battery monitor to monitor.. bbs/gsam allow to check signal quality.. signal quality below moderate impacts stand by..

7. Make sure location and wifi + Bluetooth scanning is off.

8. After atleast 3 days if want to further tweak, coz u are not getting good back up, u can use akt .. try this combo: select balanced in spectrum and select a battery profile from akt. Doing double battery saver causes unwanted lags while unlocking screen and even more drain. My observations. U can try and see if it helps..

And finally report and share ur observations and experiences.
    Fellow Z2 Plus users,

We have always seen discussion about best rom..with features x,y,z etc etc. Now when one says best, which is quite subjective depending upon user, mostly focus is around all the features/customizations of the world and not to mention best battery, best performance and what not.

Here I am flipping the question and seek feedback & suggestions from fellow Zuk Z2 users on the ROMs which they find :

1) Least buggy - given some bugs will be always there
    2) Stable - suitable for daily use with no surprises
    3) Battery Optimized for performance but with priority being battery
    4) Suitable for Daily Regular Use - wallets, bank apps, sync, 4G / wifi, good photos

So while the suggested ROM might not have few missing features (like ViLTE) and might have only limited customizations, but it remains overall robust and stable enough to be used regularly for next few months.

I agree that regular updates are good to have but then with development moving to P soon, the current build of suggested ROM should be such that without updates it should work fine

Request if fellow users can suggest their preferred ROM(s) on above criteria with at least minimum details of ROM like name, version and the build.

If further details can be provided like what is missing (say ViLTE etc) it will be wonderful for others! Thanks in advance to all for their feedback.:)

Sorry if this is a repeat but think at this juncture when the transition is about to happen to Android P we should have a list of stable roms handy.

EDIT 16th July 2020 :

It is close to 2 years since thread was started and discussions are still ON thanks to loyal users. Also if I may say, part credit also goes to phone's good build quality that it is still worth using for many

When this thread was started, we were in initial days of developers transitioning from Oreo to Pie ROM and today, we already have loads of Q ROMs.

Having said that, general preference, if we need a stable balanced ROM is to continue on Pie ROMs versus Q ROMs - no surprises here !!