[Discussion] Zuk Z2 Plus - most stable / least buggy ROM for regular use

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
Oreo roms were preety good at time, but had 2 major issues:
1. kernel panics (4.4 kernel fixed this)
2. weak WiFi (device tree had marlin driver which was not fully suitable for Zuk, it disconected wifi often when signal is not 100%). Even early Pie builds were plaqued with this problem then Kenny fixed this and others also.

Really liked Arrow Oreo back in the day.

adityanikhare

Jun 19, 2015
Nagpur
Oreo roms were preety good at time, but had 2 major issues:
1. kernel panics (4.4 kernel fixed this)
2. weak WiFi (device tree had marlin driver which was not fully suitable for Zuk, it disconected wifi often when signal is not 100%). Even early Pie builds were plaqued with this problem then Kenny fixed this and others also.

Really liked Arrow Oreo back in the day.
But i havent faced any kernel panic's in aex 5.8 till now.

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Nameless Kernel with AOSIP Pie - Battery Stats Over 2 Weeks

In summary, using AOSIP Pie ROM with Nameless-Kernel[4.4-EAS]-04030130.zip / Spectrum Profile: Balanced achieved following battery stats

Screen off - 0.8% /hr
Screen on - 17% /hr

Read more details here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83160103&postcount=1111

I have now installed kernel popthecorn-v2.3-090520 @vuckovic_stefan this is latest right?

First impression pretty bad, 30% discharge per hour :crying::confused: Had done dirty flash of ROM, wipes cache/dalvik etc.

Going for second battery cycle, have limit the big core to 1.8 and small to 1.3. As well as changed governor to conservative (no other battery friendly option). Let's see

@vuckovic_stefan pls suggest settings etc if prior info

Last edited:

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
In summary, using AOSIP Pie ROM with Nameless-Kernel[4.4-EAS]-04030130.zip / Spectrum Profile: Balanced achieved following battery stats

Screen off - 0.8% /hr
Screen on - 17% /hr

Read more details here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83160103&postcount=1111

I have now installed kernel popthecorn-v2.3-090520 @vuckovic_stefan this is latest right?

First impression pretty bad, 30% discharge per hour :crying::confused: Had done dirty flash of ROM, wipes cache/dalvik etc.

Going for second battery cycle, have limit the big core to 1.8 and small to 1.3. As well as changed governor to conservative (no other battery friendly option). Let's see

@vuckovic_stefan pls suggest settings etc if prior info
I think I was getting better result mate. Whats your battery health in mAh? I guess it was arround 16%. Latest Nameless snapshot was good battery wise, u can try that next. I tried it and was doing good job, battery percents were going down slowly. U can find it on TG. If u need help, write and i can download and upload for you.

As for Popthecorn kernel, give it a few cycles. Thats last version that works on Pie. For now. 30% per hour is to much... If things dont change try latest Nameless snapshot, its not undervolted also but seems to be very battery friendly. I didnt look at the stats unfortunately so I dont know to tell u about screen on drain. Anyway its device/battery dependent.

Im trying something new, i will post results in a week :).

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
I think I was getting better result mate. Whats your battery health in mAh? I guess it was arround 16%. Latest Nameless snapshot was good battery wise, u can try that next. I tried it and was doing good job, battery percents were going down slowly. U can find it on TG. If u need help, write and i can download and upload for you.

As for Popthecorn kernel, give it a few cycles. Thats last version that works on Pie. For now. 30% per hour is to much... If things dont change try latest Nameless snapshot, its not undervolted also but seems to be very battery friendly. I didnt look at the stats unfortunately so I dont know to tell u about screen on drain. Anyway its device/battery dependent.

Im trying something new, i will post results in a week :).
Hi, sorry for replying late.. In my mind, dunno, felt like had already answered.

My battery is quite good, health would be at 98% (goit it replaced last year from authorized service centre)

Popthecorn - I uninstalled the very next day of my earlier post. This is because upon interaction with peeps in the TG group, learnt that PTC is not really for Pie.

Since then, gave the last version of Droppy a try. Clearly bit slow but still good decent stats. Will share separately.

In parallel, also had an exchange with Nameless dev over TG and he suggested to try the latest NUV build - as per him UV1 is not making much of difference.

So, for last two days am on the latest Nameless NUV (guess 1 Aug build or so) with only two changes, limiting the CPU to 1.8 for big and 1.3 for the small core. Let's see how it works.

So, what new are you up to, Stefan? ;):angel:

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
Hi, sorry for replying late.. In my mind, dunno, felt like had already answered.

My battery is quite good, health would be at 98% (goit it replaced last year from authorized service centre)

Popthecorn - I uninstalled the very next day of my earlier post. This is because upon interaction with peeps in the TG group, learnt that PTC is not really for Pie.

Since then, gave the last version of Droppy a try. Clearly bit slow but still good decent stats. Will share separately.

In parallel, also had an exchange with Nameless dev over TG and he suggested to try the latest NUV build - as per him UV1 is not making much of difference.

So, for last two days am on the latest Nameless NUV (guess 1 Aug build or so) with only two changes, limiting the CPU to 1.8 for big and 1.3 for the small core. Let's see how it works.

So, what new are you up to, Stefan? ;):angel:
Hi mate

2.3 popthcorn can be flashed on pie while 2.4 is only for 10. I also dindt like ptc on pie roms, got some bad behavior...

As for Nameless latest snapshots are quite nice, in balanced mode they give good result.

I sold my Zuk one week ago mate, so im out of this flashing game. I tried Arrow pie and thought i have much better battery result but it was 5h sot at the end. Definitelly Aosip is top rom for our device, i flashed that before advertising it, thats the best one u can install on Zuk.

Newer 10 roms are ok but battery hungry. 5h sot max. And they have some small glitches here and there. SuperiorOS tops, my opinion.

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Hi mate

2.3 popthcorn can be flashed on pie while 2.4 is only for 10. I also dindt like ptc on pie roms, got some bad behavior...

As for Nameless latest snapshots are quite nice, in balanced mode they give good result.

I sold my Zuk one week ago mate, so im out of this flashing game. I tried Arrow pie and thought i have much better battery result but it was 5h sot at the end. Definitelly Aosip is top rom for our device, i flashed that before advertising it, thats the best one u can install on Zuk.

Newer 10 roms are ok but battery hungry. 5h sot max. And they have some small glitches here and there. SuperiorOS tops, my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback. It was good to have you as fellow Z2 user to discuss and brainstorm :):good:

I sold my Zuk one week ago mate, so im out of this flashing game.
Wow! All the best buddy. So which new device?

You will be out of Zuk's flashing game but am sure will see you in forums for the other device :p :laugh:

Take care and continue to stay safe !

Reactions: vuckovic_stefan

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
Thanks for the feedback. It was good to have you as fellow Z2 user to discuss and brainstorm :):good:

Wow! All the best buddy. So which new device?

You will be out of Zuk's flashing game but am sure will see you in forums for the other device [emoji14] [emoji23]

Take care and continue to stay safe !
Hi mate, sorry for late answer, I didn't checked XDA some time...

Thank you also for analysis and brainstorming :D

I'm glad we all got to some good conclusions...

I wanted to buy MI 9T Pro model (SD 855, nice cameras, AMOLED display and no notch) but at the end I bought MI 9T (SD 730).
All newer Xiaomi phones have somewhat inferior cameras (by gsmarena tests), especially front one (Xiaomi use now some OV 2.5f module, I guess it's small so they make smaller hole for that camera on the screen).
I even considered Sammy A51 8/128 gb but MI 9T beats it by margin, and I remembered how I hated my S3 lol.
So that's it, I hope it will fulfill my needs (no gaming).
I will really try to stay on Global rom. I'm usled to blocked ads, so I'll try adguard dns to see how it works so I wouldn't have to root it. If I root it that will be chance to start with flashing so I'll avoid that and get used to MIUI Global rom.
Custom ROMs are nice but I would like to have something stable and don't think about software. I have flashed ton of ROMs on Zuk, did setup many times so I'm kinda bored really :)

Thank u guys for everything, I will be here for you if u need any assistance.

sanjay.2704

Nov 16, 2013
pune
Hi mate, sorry for late answer, I didn't checked XDA some time...

Thank you also for analysis and brainstorming :D

I'm glad we all got to some good conclusions...

I wanted to buy MI 9T Pro model (SD 855, nice cameras, AMOLED display and no notch) but at the end I bought MI 9T (SD 730).
All newer Xiaomi phones have somewhat inferior cameras (by gsmarena tests), especially front one (Xiaomi use now some OV 2.5f module, I guess it's small so they make smaller hole for that camera on the screen).
I even considered Sammy A51 8/128 gb but MI 9T beats it by margin, and I remembered how I hated my S3 lol.
So that's it, I hope it will fulfill my needs (no gaming).
I will really try to stay on Global rom. I'm usled to blocked ads, so I'll try adguard dns to see how it works so I wouldn't have to root it. If I root it that will be chance to start with flashing so I'll avoid that and get used to MIUI Global rom.
Custom ROMs are nice but I would like to have something stable and don't think about software. I have flashed ton of ROMs on Zuk, did setup many times so I'm kinda bored really :)

Thank u guys for everything, I will be here for you if u need any assistance.
It was good to have you here.. you can still unlock and atleast root to get some tweaks.. I know as soon u unlock and root you want to flash custom roms.. thats why I also bought a new phone.. only to get rid of this flashing habit.. Got it today..

I picked realme xt (sd712) .. have got android 10 with July patches .. so kinda set as of now.. it has sys wide dark mode.. no ads as of now.. not much bloatware.. dobly is built in as well so it's ok.. i would miss adway substratum.. magisk and so many other things from my unlocked z2..

I have used miui 11 as well on note5 on my wife's phone and it's good with useful features .. just need to spend some time to get used to..

My zuk is still on aosip pie and latest nameless snap from tg.. on screen is 19-20% and off screen is 0.5 to 1% with balanced mode...
@mGforCe ..

see you in all XT forums.

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
It was good to have you here.. you can still unlock and atleast root to get some tweaks.. I know as soon u unlock and root you want to flash custom roms.. thats why I also bought a new phone.. only to get rid of this flashing habit.. Got it today..

I picked realme xt (sd712) .. have got android 10 with July patches .. so kinda set as of now.. it has sys wide dark mode.. no ads as of now.. not much bloatware.. dobly is built in as well so it's ok.. i would miss adway substratum.. magisk and so many other things from my unlocked z2..

I have used miui 11 as well on note5 on my wife's phone and it's good with useful features .. just need to spend some time to get used to..

My zuk is still on aosip pie and latest nameless snap from tg.. on screen is 19-20% and off screen is 0.5 to 1% with balanced mode...
@mGforCe ..

see you in all XT forums.
Mate thank u also for everything :)...

I kinda solved some biggest root needs (adguard dns works fantastic) and miui has all the customisations one needs... I got used to it immediately.

Nice u got new device. I considered Realme also but at the end I bought Xiaomi because it is so recognized here in my country and also there is official service center.

Flashing is ok, when u flash one rom in 6 months. If one is constantly looking for perfect (like stock) rom much hours are spended on this habit and I think all those hours are better to be used for something else in life :)...

I'm happy now with this one, made setup, everything is working fine without bugs.

I hope u r satisfied with your new device mate...

Wish u all all the best hope u stay well and safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanjay.2704

sanjay.2704

Nov 16, 2013
pune
Mate thank u also for everything :)...

I kinda solved some biggest root needs (adguard dns works fantastic) and miui has all the customisations one needs... I got used to it immediately.

Nice u got new device. I considered Realme also but at the end I bought Xiaomi because it is so recognized here in my country and also there is official service center.

Flashing is ok, when u flash one rom in 6 months. If one is constantly looking for perfect (like stock) rom much hours are spended on this habit and I think all those hours are better to be used for something else in life :)...

I'm happy now with this one, made setup, everything is working fine without bugs.

I hope u r satisfied with your new device mate...

Wish u all all the best hope u stay well and safe.
How did u get the adguard working????? Are u using adaway?

Device is good.. it's quite close to stock android.. but has some customisation available..what is needed is present..

I am quite happy with back up as well.. screen on is hovering around 8-9%.. no lags or stutter anywhere. All apps remain in memory.. even though I have 4GB version.. ufs 2.1 is pretty fast as well.. and amoled display is just nice.. although colour accuracy was better on z2..

All over Def a good upgrade to z2..

You too stay safe and best of luck..

P.s. do share your adguard tweak.. ?

vuckovic_stefan

Apr 15, 2015
Niš
How did u get the adguard working????? Are u using adaway?

Device is good.. it's quite close to stock android.. but has some customisation available..what is needed is present..

I am quite happy with back up as well.. screen on is hovering around 8-9%.. no lags or stutter anywhere. All apps remain in memory.. even though I have 4GB version.. ufs 2.1 is pretty fast as well.. and amoled display is just nice.. although colour accuracy was better on z2..

All over Def a good upgrade to z2..

You too stay safe and best of luck..

P.s. do share your adguard tweak..
-Change it under Settings > Network & Internet > Private DNS

Adguard DNS:

dns.adguard.com

I had to use Activity launcher app for that meny because its hidden on miui 11 lol. If u also need that app, type in search network then find under settings - MORE. There u will find option.

Im glad u r happy with your device mate... I was considering Realme 6 Pro but I didnt like that 2 cameras in left corner. I like to see notifications there :). So i decided to go with Xiaomi

Also here, it is the same, miui is heavy but apps stay in memory mostly, 6 gb LPDDR4X RAM, 64 GB UFS Storage 2.1. I couldnt find 128 GB model but i dont need it anyway, I would have buy it just because small difference in price. Cameras are real upgrade over Zuk, I also installed Gcam. Amoled is nice also.

Dikhro_Mero

Mar 21, 2014
I've heard a lot of good reviews about Citrus Nougat and so I tried the ROM (last build) and as for my user experience it turned out to be one of the best ROM in performance especially while gaming and also stability with less heat in compared to other ROMS , except there's no VoLTE.

Also tried CR Droid Oreo (last build+gapps+magisk) which is also pretty good in performance wise. However there is a bug where I was unable to use those single apps which request permission for displaying drawings over other apps.
My phone crashed while unzipping a file using zarchiver app. Also there is no VoLTE in this ROM.

Cardinal Oreo (last build+gapps+magisk) is also one of my favourite ROM. It is stable and gaming performance is much more better than CR Droid, even handling of apps and task is really great and stable. Maximum temperature I've ever encountered while using this ROM is 44°C and below
I love everything about this ROM
But there are some few bugs like where sometimes your device shuts down automatically once the battery reaches 30% and below which is frustrating.
Also there is an earphone bug where while playing games when you plugged in the earphone jack it will fail to output the audio, so what you have to do here is to minimize the game or app then plug out and plugged in the jack to make it work lol.
Overall this is one of my favourite ROM.

The best Pie ROM that I would recommend is AOSiP last build by kenny3fcb. For daily drivers you can blindly go for this ROM because I've used this ROM for more than 6 months and by so far the longest ROM that I've ever used before switching to another.
This ROM is worth than other pie ROMS.
If u want performance you can try out different kernels with this ROM.
Tried out some custom kernels where I was able to play 60fps games at temperature of 43°-44°C max but while charge and play it goes up to maximum of 46°-47°C.

Tried out almost each and every treble, non treble ROMs, kernels, tweaks and now I'm really tired of this endless loop. So all I have to say about this device is that it doesn't feel like using a Snapdragon 821 but a heater which kept my hands warm enough during winters. Also I feel like sometimes it can also be used as an alternative device for cooking food.
Worst experience I've ever had with Android is with this device itself.
So right now the only thing that I love about this phone is the form factor and compact design.

Last edited:

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Thanks @Dikhro_Mero for detailed and candid feedback, appreciate it.

Indeed AOSiP Pie seems to be the most stable and daily-driver ROM for our device - even am using the same for last few months.

PS: I am no gamer, so never had opportunity to cook food or use this device as heater ;)

Reactions: NaXal and niyonsv

NaXal

Oct 31, 2017
Kolkata
mGforCe said:
Indeed AOSiP Pie seems to be the most stable and daily-driver ROM for our device - even am using the same for last few months.
Its been a while, I am continuously using PixysOS

Coming to the xda only when installation ends up having some trouble to upgrade to the latest version and I am so far satisfied with it.

Just came yesterday again to download the latest release as I was running few months old alfa or beta release of the PixysOS. Somehow it was working good but slowly it started to give short of wired issues.

So downloaded and clean flashed the latest release v4.0.2 yesterday night.

Battery backup isn't something to talk about, the rest of the stuff just works fine for using it as a daily driver. My device is now really old, still on stock battery so it must have lost a lot of its performance by now. So I don't even think of trying out heavy duty gaming on the device.

Apart from that, office productivity and day to day social / entertainment usage, the Z2 Plus is still working just fine running PixysOS

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Thanks @NaXal for your feedback.

May I know if you are using Bank apps and other? If yes - do they work well and no issues like root detection warning etc?

In past Jio VoLTE bit and also need for battery-friendly ROM had made me settle on AOSIP Pie only.. But now am on Android 9 (Pie) for long and am thinking to make the switch to Android 11 reading your feedback :)

Reactions: NaXal

NaXal

Oct 31, 2017
Kolkata
mGforCe said:
May I know if you are using Bank apps and other? If yes - do they work well and no issues like root detection warning etc?
It is a long standing issue with all the Custom ROMs. I don't root, but strangely some banking apps would refuse to run simply because of having a Custom ROM where as some banking apps won't mind running.

I guess these apps are checking into unlocked bootloader and refusing to run on that.

I am from India like you, so mobile payment getway apps like PayTM, PhonePe of for fuel, HP Pay works but never tried with UPI as I don't have enabled UPI for my accounts. Card Payment, Merchant Payment works fine.

I have shifted most of my banking apps to a different device (iPAD), gives a feel good factor, as I don't have fear of losing it..

In past Jio VoLTE bit and also need for battery-friendly ROM
VoLTE is one of the primary requirements so without it I wont use the ROM. Most of the Custom ROMs have zero issue with VoLTE

However battery friendliness is a different story.

As I wrote in earlier post too, device is now very old, like 3 / 3 and half years. Running stock battery so there isn't much I can expect from it.

Due to covid traveling is now minimum , what ever travelling I am doing, I am using the car, so charger is available with me most of the time, either while travelling or at work desk.

I charge between 20-80 cycle and what ever little fast charging we have on this device is sufficient to push it from low 30s to low/mid 70s in around 20/25 mins. That's good enough for half a day of hard pounding of productivity and daily usage for me.

This is how I am managing.

But now am on Android 9 (Pie) for long and am thinking to make the switch to Android 11 reading your feedback
We are now nearing almost at the end of our device life. Some how I am not been able to get a decent phone for rough use with following three features so I am still sticking with Z2 Plus.

* OLED Display
* OIS Camera
* Snapdragon Processor

I am open to compromise on everything else, starting with storage or RAM but nothing meeting these three basic need of mine within Rs. 20k price bracket.

So thanks to all these amazing devs here, Z2 Plus is still going strong for me. Nothing fancy I am expecting out it, just a strong daily driver meeting the need of a work phone

Last edited:
Reactions: mGforCe

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Thanks @NaXal for the detailed reply (y)

Yesterday night installed PixyOS v4.0.3 GAPPS one. Let's see how it goes.

For me Zuk Z2 is the secondary device. I do have Redmi Note 7 Pro for daily use as primary device. But completely echo your sentiments - Z2 Plus has seen very good support and has worked quite well. I did get my battery changed like 1.5 yrs back

Reactions: NaXal