• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Display artifacts and noise at low brightness and dark grey colors

Search This thread

Yrtimd

Mar 7, 2021
Charlotte, NC
Hello. I have a question regarding the display of dark grey at low brightness. Noticed this using the google web page in dark mode before going to sleep with all other lights dimmed or off.

I also noticed some burnt in segments of the screen like nav bar and status bar at the conditions described above.

I am attaching the dark grey filled image I use to distinguish the problem. Can you please test it with your S21 in dark conditions and fullscreen and tell me if you see same noise and smudge-like artifacts?

I must say I tried to go to BestBuy and Target to compare it to other S21 by myself, but obviously it didn't work because there are too many light sources in the store and it's too bright to see that.

I also tried to make a photo of what I am seeing in completely dark room, but obviously it's less informative compared to human eye.
Thank you.

Attachments

• File_000.jpg
    File_000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210302-225350_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-225350_Gallery.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 33

goattee

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego
I am attaching the dark grey filled image I use to distinguish the problem. Can you please test it with your S21 in dark conditions and fullscreen and tell me if you see same noise and smudge-like artifacts?

Maybe I am not very discerning but screenshot_* shows no anomalies on my S21. The file_000 however does have a visual imperfection. It's the file itself and not the screen because the "smudgy" area moves as I scroll and grows when I zoom. So it's an artifact of the file. It does have some subtle grey coloring.

Yrtimd

Mar 7, 2021
Charlotte, NC
Maybe I am not very discerning but screenshot_* shows no anomalies on my S21. The file_000 however does have a visual imperfection. It's the file itself and not the screen because the "smudgy" area moves as I scroll and grows when I zoom. So it's an artifact of the file. It does have some subtle grey coloring.
The File_000 has anomalies because it's a photo of a screen producing artifacts, when the Screenshot is just filled grey and should be clean of any artifacts on a healthy screen. I must say when I open the Screenshot using gallery and in fullscreen, and try to move it left or right until previous or next image border shows in the gallery, I can see the artifacts and smudges remain static because it's screen defect but the image (screenshot) is clear of any imperfections. Thank you for trying though.

bassbounce

Feb 14, 2011
Betuwe
It is normal since a few years, Xiaomi since the Mi 8 and has it Oneplus since the 8 series and now Samsung.
It has something to do with the newer generation panels.