Display jello/wavy effect when scrolling!

Search This thread

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
Noticed this as soon as I setup the phone. I don't think I've ever seen an AMOLED panel do this. It's almost like it's refreshing each line of pixels too slowly/unevenly during a single frame?

Here's an album of images and video captured from 240 FPS video. View them one after another. The screen refreshes by starting in the bottom left corner and finishes the frame in the top right corner... the icons and text on each line of apps goes out of alignment as I scroll.

Text and elements on the screen stretches out when scrolling down, and smushes together when scrolling up. Straight lines look wavy when scrolling left or right as well!

https://goo.gl/photos/Rx8nZCnzj8jSWXGJ7

https://goo.gl/photos/iwi5JdruMAveRkFN8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157682480018604

Last edited:

fawef3

Jun 25, 2017
youtube.com/watch?v=rCgzHvui4K8&feature=youtu.be&t=7m42s
Is this what you are talking about?

Chrizzter

Jun 21, 2017
Lets hope they manage to fix this.. I wonder if this is related to hardware or just a software issues.. Guess we'll see when more custom roms and kernels come in.. other than that, could this issue be related to vsync or framerate?

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
youtube.com/watch?v=rCgzHvui4K8&feature=youtu.be&t=7m42s
Is this what you are talking about?

I don't think so - that sounds like frame dropping, and I have noticed that too.

Lets hope they manage to fix this.. I wonder if this is related to hardware or just a software issues.. Guess we'll see when more custom roms and kernels come in.. other than that, could this issue be related to vsync or framerate?

Hopefully software since it's the same panel as the 3T. I don't think it's vsync, because if that were disabled it'd result in tearing. I really have no idea what's going on.

On the up side, an assistant head moderator on the OnePlus forums forwarded this information to the developers... other people are complaining about this same issue there as well!

Jfxmedia

Jun 3, 2016
Charlotte
Noticed this as soon as I setup the phone. I don't think I've ever seen an AMOLED panel do this. It's almost like it's refreshing each line of pixels too slowly/unevenly during a single frame?

Here's an album of images and video captured from 240 FPS video. View them one after another. The screen refreshes by starting in the bottom left corner and finishes the frame in the top right corner... the icons and text on each line of apps goes out of alignment as I scroll.

Text and elements on the screen stretches out when scrolling down, and smushes together when scrolling up. Straight lines look wavy when scrolling left or right as well!

Yea. I've had it since first boot and notice it every time I use the phone. I can't wait for updates.

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Still having this issue after today's OTA.

Same here. It seems to be a Software issue

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

To be Precise the upper part of the screen reacts slower. The thing that makes me nervous is that it's the same Spot when using horizontal.

Anyone can check if this issue is also when scrolling in twrp, if yes it's a Firmware issue or even Hardware.

If this was a Software issue we would see a Glitch while scrolling but it's a smooth Jello effect

I've did couple of Tests. And it seems it's the screen itself and not the Software. As recording the screen with an App will not show the issue. I hope it can be fixed with a Firmware Update.
We need an Update for the amoled screen driver.

Last edited:

kimw

Sep 25, 2008
Thank god I'm not the only one noticing that straight away. It pretty much ruined my experience since I got this phone. At first a thought its just me beeing OCD again and checking the screen for failures far too often.

It's hard to not see it when scrolling and it is very irritating!
Like a Jello / Wobble / Warping effect.

This needs to be addressed asap! If I Google this issue, it comes up a thread on OnePlus forums "The first thing I did when I got my OnePlus 5, I immediately installed the ... screen starts moving before the top half, giving a "jello" effect when ..".If I click on it, it says "OnePlus Forums - Error
The requested thread could not be found".

Seems like they removed the thread?

Reactions: Olao99

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
If the issue isn't getting worse when underclocking cpu&gpu with Ex kernel it's sure no Software issue. Then it's rather Hardware or Firmware (Panel driver)
But I simply can't imagine an amoled screen having such a Hardware issue.

Last edited:

AlphaX2025

Feb 20, 2014
Mumbai
Thank god I'm not the only one noticing that straight away. It pretty much ruined my experience since I got this phone. At first a thought its just me beeing OCD again and checking the screen for failures far too often.

It's hard to not see it when scrolling and it is very irritating!
Like a Jello / Wobble / Warping effect.

This needs to be addressed asap! If I Google this issue, it comes up a thread on OnePlus forums "The first thing I did when I got my OnePlus 5, I immediately installed the ... screen starts moving before the top half, giving a "jello" effect when ..".If I click on it, it says "OnePlus Forums - Error
The requested thread could not be found".

Seems like they removed the thread?
The thread got merged with another thread. Here's the one - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...-sync-to-improve-touch-responsiveness.553718/

eng.stk

Mar 29, 2011
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 6
I don't think so - that sounds like frame dropping, and I have noticed that too.

Hopefully software since it's the same panel as the 3T. I don't think it's vsync, because if that were disabled it'd result in tearing. I really have no idea what's going on.

On the up side, an assistant head moderator on the OnePlus forums forwarded this information to the developers... other people are complaining about this same issue there as well!

It's the same panel (better say a variant of the panel), but what people don't know is that it seems it's mounted inverted on the OP5. So this wobbly effect seems to manifest more because of this condition.
I noticed this when evaluating some stuff on the source code I could backport to the 3T.
Let's hope it's just a weird overlay panel calibration or something similar and not a processing issue from design choices.
Only time will tell.

Last edited:

kimw

Sep 25, 2008
It's the same panel (better say a variant of the panel), but what people don't know is that it seems it's mounted inverted.
I noticed this when evaluating some stuff I could backport to the 3T.
Let's hope it's just a weird overlay or something similar from the ROM and not a processing issue from design choices.
Only time will tell.

Problem is that time is limited due to the 15 days return period :eek:

Ady1976

Apr 9, 2012
Manchester
K9

Problem is that time is limited due to the 15 days return period :eek:

Exactly i can't take that chance they may or may not fix this issue or are they just going to sweep it under the carpet and pretend no one noticed, One thing is for sure if i decide to keep it and they don't resolve this awful screen latency, scrolling, stuttering lag this will be my 1st and last OP phone, it shouldn't have even come to market with this issue.

OcazPrime

Mar 30, 2016
oh my.... i receive mine today in possibly a few minutes.... U people are making me more and more regretting buying this thing.....

OcazPrime

Mar 30, 2016
mine arrives tomorrow, i'm still on the fence of returning it or not :(

I know! It's getting worse every second I'm on this forum... I wonder if maybe this is a batch set thing or if this is a region thing. I haven't read through the whole thing. But, if my screen has a weird effect like this which I will now watch for, I'll report it here.

Ady1976

Apr 9, 2012
Manchester
****s gonna hit the fan when most people will be receiving them this and next week, hope they've fixed it by then before their customer support has a meltdown.

Reactions: kimw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's the same panel (better say a variant of the panel), but what people don't know is that it seems it's mounted inverted on the OP5. So this wobbly effect seems to manifest more because of this condition.
    I noticed this when evaluating some stuff on the source code I could backport to the 3T.
    Let's hope it's just a weird overlay panel calibration or something similar and not a processing issue from design choices.
    Only time will tell.
    I've been reading some stuff about this jelly thing, so for sake of completion.
    Attached are the main differences on the s6e3fa5 panel code on the OP3T and on the OP5. And yes the matrix is inverted comparing to OP3T and this alters the way refresh and other stuff are processed.
    If you find hard to believe, just merge the OP5 panel code on the OP3T kernel and voila: you'll get your image inverted (upside down) on the OP3T after boot.
    The s6e3fa3 panel variant (present in OP3 and some OP3T) also has this code change on the OP5 source (they should have used that panel variant in early development stages but it's not present on release because lacks DCI-P3 support and so on).
    The thing I'm curious to see is if the OP5 only variant s6e3fa6 panel has the effect less noticeable. That could explain why people see it less or more.
    Seriously? Unfair criticism? They've installed the panel upside down, it's terrible engineering and quality control. Then you have the faked benchmarks, the fake 2x optical zoom, no OIS etc etc etc. If One Plus wants to be amongst the big players they need to seriously up their game. Theyre in danger of becoming another Chinese phone company that doesn't deliver. If any phone company does rubbish like this they should be called out, not given a pass because they're "cheaper" or you like them.
    It's not a hardware fault. Period! OP5 screen is also working as any other screen would. Turn any phone upside down and see it. We can't really call it terrible engineering or QC issue. Amazon India has sold tens of thousands of units of OP5. Not even a single review out there is complaining of Jelly Issue. I am not saying it's not there, it's there, i see it, but majority out there doesn't. Neither they have any problem with it. Out of XDA nobody cares about it.

Faked benchmark ? Really ? OnePlus is utilising the same mechanism in their OP5's day to day use. Everytime an app is opened on OP5, all cores go full throttle unlike other phones, so they are showcasing in benchmarks what their phone does in real life.

Fake 2x optical Zoom ? Didn't OnePlus itself clarify it that it's 1.6x ? No ? And it's still a lossless 2X zoom as Ever as OP has implemented. There is no loss in image quality moving to 2x zoom.

No OIS ? SO what ? Did OnePlus ever claim they have provided OIS in OP5 ? Smoking a joint ?

Big players ? Like Samsung ? Lied about UFS 2.1 storage and when found some units are shipping with 2.0, quietly took down listing from their website! Like how S8/+ came suffering from heavily tinted Red/Pink screens(HW fault) and tried to pass it with SW update which actually didn't solve the issue ? Like how they still suck at Ram Management ? My Redmi Note 3 holds more apps in it's 3gb ram compared to Samsung's flagship 4gb ram phones. From S4 days to S8, it's been 4 years, yet their ram management is as pathetic as ever, worst in the industry. And not to mention their absolutely laggy phones. Even the likes of Honor 8 Pro with last year's hardware are beating S8 in Speed! Infact S7 Edge was a step in the right direction but with S8/+ the lag is so pronounced it starts appearing from the very 1st use.

Like Lg V20 ? Whose camera lens started breaking on it's own for no reason ? And their history of bootlooping devices from flagships to low end phones ?

Like Apple ? Who call it an user fault for poor network reception ? Like how their phones started bending even under a little force ?

Who to learn from ? Who are the industry leaders ? Up their game in equivalent to whom ?

Nah, its a FEATURE.....