Question Display problem on my Xperia

Search This thread

Joey_Smith

Jul 8, 2022
Same problem here.
Every update so far did not fix it.

Some specs and what I have tried:
- Android 12, Update 64.0.A.5.71
- Software repair and factory reset did not help.
- XQ-CT54 (EU, Germany)
- White balance does not fix it
- Creator/Vivid mode does not fix it
- 120/60 Hz does not fix it
- Brightness > 90% is good, and < 90% is bad on SDR
- Brightness < 50% is REALLY bad on HDR

The problem:
What I have noticed is that black gets "crushed". Banding or distortion, call it whatever you want. Near black greys turn either black or greenish grey. Looks like a green tint, especially noticable in HDR. Otherwise it is some very slight greenish tint. The green tint gets reduced minimally when using 60 Hz instead of 120 Hz. Conditions are the brightness is below 90% in SDR and below ~50% in HDR.
- When booting the device there is green artifacts around the logo.

See my pictures and the youtube video here showing the "pop" around 90% brightness:

Also check the artifacts in the MrMobile video around 6 seconds (or screenshot below):
This is exactly what the artifacts look like.

Reddit post about this problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/vxwwo7
I have sent all evidence to Sony support and they told me yesterday to send it in to checkup and repair.

Tomorrow I will check if my friends Xperia 1 IV has the same issue.

But I am thinking this can be fixed with a software update, I mean ... It looks perfect on certain brightness levels.

UPDATE:
So I checked with my friends Xperia 1 IV and he has the same black clipping problem as I have. BUT he has no green tint. Same settings on both devices and his was looking so much more natural.
Also I found out, that my 120Hz mode makes it even greener.

So I am thinking the black clipping is a software calbration bug of the display, because it does not occur on brightness above 90%. Also the display itself seems calibrated wrong (software fix possible?) or it is bad batch by factory with the green tint.

I will contact Sony again and their repair service and see what can be done about this. This is so frustrating.
That's exactly my problem I'm having with my Xperia 1 IV, And just found a sort of FIX and here what to do:
1- Turn off Auto Brightness
2- Set screen Brightness to 100%
3- Turn on Screen Dim to avoid the screen being too bright for eyes
And please note that screen problem is still there but less noticeable

Templa

Jan 24, 2013
Frankfurt
That's exactly my problem I'm having with my Xperia 1 IV, And just found a sort of FIX and here what to do:
1- Turn off Auto Brightness
2- Set screen Brightness to 100%
3- Turn on Screen Dim to avoid the screen being too bright for eyes
And please note that screen problem is still there but less noticeable
Oh yeah this seems to be a decent workaround, can confirm but it is uncomfortable. I decided to wait for the next few updates and see then. Not going to sent it to repair for now. Either they replace the device or fix it via software update. I mean, this device is in perfect condition.

View attachment 5655049
Comparison between my old Xperia 1 II (how the screen should be) and my new Xperia 1 IV.

Is anyone having screen problems with their Xperia 1 IV like color banding and screen artifacts in dark areas of the screen?
I've tried everything to fix it like Factory reset and Software repair but nothing worked.
reminds me of the green line bug that affects samsung s20 phones. there wasn't a known cause for the samsung phones screen line bug, but many speculate it was caused by an update, and others say it's a hardware bug. if you continue to have issues, send it to sony (if possible).

Joey_Smith

Jul 8, 2022
I discovered another alternative to OLED Saver, the "Extra Dim" quick toggle dims the screen without causing the green screen issue.
I highly recommend that you take your device to Sony service center to get it fixed or replaced if it's under warranty, And it seems this is may be hardware problem because colors aren't accurate even black looks dark amber when you look at the screen in a dark room and recently I found a faint vertical line in the middle of the screen and it could be a defective unit and I will take my device to Sony service center in my upcoming trip since there is no Sony service center where I live.

mufunyo

Jul 28, 2012
Sony Xperia 1 IV
I highly recommend that you take your device to Sony service center to get it fixed or replaced if it's under warranty
There are no Sony service centres in The Netherlands, instead service is farmed out to an extremely notoriously bad service company (Dynafix) that causes more problems than they solve. My Xperia S had the yellow stain issue (a known manufacturing defect that Sony was issuing service recalls for) and I returned it under warranty to get it fixed. It ended up at Dynafix, they broke the phone, and said they couldn't return the phone to me (because they broke it) nor could they issue a replacement. They gave me an HTC One X as replacement, which I had to sell on the second hand market to raise money to buy a new Xperia S myself.

I also still have not seen any evidence that screen replacement is a fix for this issue. In the Sony forum thread for the 1 III, multiple people reported sending their phone back for service and getting a bugged screen back.

Templa

Jan 24, 2013
Frankfurt
Yeah I am in contact with the support again. Either I get it replaced entirely or just the display. I will notify you whatever happens.

Hildr

May 2, 2017
The screen has a really big issue with clogged black, even with 100% brightness. Compared with xperia 1 I it's night and day.
A simple test video like here
Shows the IV stopping at around 5.5% when my 1 I goes as low as 0.9%.
Watching Bladerunner 2049 on bravia core wasn't a really good experience due to the banding created by the clogged black. I'm not even talking about the second scene of the last fantastic beast, in the dark forest.
Also the green tint!

Reactions: Templa

stonebriar

May 13, 2020
Do we have an update on this issue? I have been looking to get the 1 IV, but I am not willing to gamble away $1,600 on a defective product.

Templa

Jan 24, 2013
Frankfurt
Okay guys I have some news for you all:

I sent in my Xperia 1 IV to a licensed Sony repair service and they repaired it "based on my report".
I got it back after just 5 days. They did not write me what they actually did, if either they could recalibrate the display or just exchanged it. I don't know and I cannot check it myself. I am thinking they exchanged the display.

BUT the whole problem with greenish tint AND even black banding/crush on lower brightness <90% is completely gone after the display replacement. The whole display looks much better now overall and I can see even more details on lower brightness than before.

I guess we got displays from a faulty batch or something.

The "POP" on 90% display brightness is still there, BUT Samsung OLED displays have this "POP" in colors and contrast when overdriving the display brightness. I guess this might be normal behaviour.

I will upload some photos and a video for you guys to compare sometime this week.

UPDATE: There is still some issue with the 5% grey and below, but it is not as bad as it was before or mentioned with photos in this thread. But this definetely feels like configurable by software, so an update might fix this some time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12384955

Bonjour à tous,

Désolé, je vais écrire en français car mon anglais n'étant pas suffisamment bon pour les termes spécifiques et techniques suivants 😴

Je me permet d'apporter un tips pour tous les utilisateurs d'Xperia 1 IV qui rencontre ce problème d'affichage car après l'acquisition du miens récemment, j'ai effectivement remarqué très vite une fuite de lumière verdâtre par le haut de la dalle dès que l'on affichait un fond d'écran avec du noir absolu/Infini (comme on peut le voir sur la 1ère photo du 1er post : Comme si notre barre de notification restait affichée en surbrillance). Pour un écran Oled 4K c'est fort dommage.. :/

Pour commencer, j'ai remarqué quand rebasculant en 60hz au lieu des 120, cette teinte verdâtre diminuée déjà de moitié. Ensuite, en touchant aussi la balance des blancs, de base en 'froid' (vilaine teinte grise au lieu d'origine) on peut la passer sur 'moyen' ce qui permet de rendre le blanc déjà bien plus correct et diminuant ces reflets vert sur les écrans full black.

Mais le problème était malheureusement encore présent au niveau de l'ecran d'accueil en haut. Jusqu'à ce que par chance, je trouve avec les paramètres de luminosité du téléphone une astuce qui corrige INTÉGRALEMENT ce soucis.

=> Mettez simplement votre luminosité à 90-92% (très important, ni en dessous ni au dessus) puis activez dans vos paramètres d'accès rapide le bouton "Écran moins lumineux". (ce qui sera pas plus mal pour la batterie..)
Et là... MIRACLE ! Tous les écrans NOIRS, à bordure très noirs/noirs profonds n'ont plus cette teinte verte : sur l'écran d'accueil comme dans les paramètres généraux de Sony en mode sombre. Et surtout vous pouvez garder le mode 120hz activé, plus de teinte verte ! 🌴👍

Voir PJ.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221201-213337~2.png
    Screenshot_20221201-213337~2.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20221201-WA0006~2.jpg
    IMG-20221201-WA0006~2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: ismet1190

Hildr

May 2, 2017
Bonjour à tous,

Désolé, je vais écrire en français car mon anglais n'étant pas suffisamment bon pour les termes spécifiques et techniques suivants 😴

Je me permet d'apporter un tips pour tous les utilisateurs d'Xperia 1 IV qui rencontre ce problème d'affichage car après l'acquisition du miens récemment, j'ai effectivement remarqué très vite une fuite de lumière verdâtre par le haut de la dalle dès que l'on affichait un fond d'écran avec du noir absolu/Infini (comme on peut le voir sur la 1ère photo du 1er post : Comme si notre barre de notification restait affichée en surbrillance). Pour un écran Oled 4K c'est fort dommage.. :/

Pour commencer, j'ai remarqué quand rebasculant en 60hz au lieu des 120, cette teinte verdâtre diminuée déjà de moitié. Ensuite, en touchant aussi la balance des blancs, de base en 'froid' (vilaine teinte grise au lieu d'origine) on peut la passer sur 'moyen' ce qui permet de rendre le blanc déjà bien plus correct et diminuant ces reflets vert sur les écrans full black.

Mais le problème était malheureusement encore présent au niveau de l'ecran d'accueil en haut. Jusqu'à ce que par chance, je trouve avec les paramètres de luminosité du téléphone une astuce qui corrige INTÉGRALEMENT ce soucis.

=> Mettez simplement votre luminosité à 90-92% (très important, ni en dessous ni au dessus) puis activez dans vos paramètres d'accès rapide le bouton "Écran moins lumineux". (ce qui sera pas plus mal pour la batterie..)
Et là... MIRACLE ! Tous les écrans NOIRS, à bordure très noirs/noirs profonds n'ont plus cette teinte verte : sur l'écran d'accueil comme dans les paramètres généraux de Sony en mode sombre. Et surtout vous pouvez garder le mode 120hz activé, plus de teinte verte ! 🌴👍

Voir PJ.
[Ca reprends ce que Templa avait indiqué sur son post de juillet dernier. il n'y a plus de problème de noir bouché a partir de 90% luminosité. Mais qui veut garder son tel à 90% de luminosité, meme avec le paramètre écran moins lumineux? C'est juste inconfortable.
Sans compter que quand le téléphone chauffe, la luminosité est limité à 60% environ (le slider ne fait plus effet à partir de là). Il y a juste a vivre avec ce probleme de noir bouché. Pour la barre verte, je ne l'ai jamais vu avec le microsoft launcher, avec des fond d'ecran completement noir sur tout l'écran. Cette barre est surement le lanceur officiel qui a une barre gris très foncé qui apparait bouchée du au mauvais réglage de l'ecran, comme dnas les film sombre etc.]

That's what Templa said on its post from july, the green bar and the bloated black disappear above 90% brightness. But keeping brightness above 90% even with "screen less bright" is just not ideal as you don't have the auto adjustment and it's far too bright most of the time.
Also when the phone is getting really hot, brightness is capped at 60% (the slider doesn't do anything from 60 to 100%). We can't really do anything about it. About the green bar, I never had this happens with Microsoft launcher, my black wallpaper is fully black across all the screen even at low brightness. Never really tried the vanilla launcher that has probably a slight dark grey bar at the top that turn bloated by the poor screen calibration

D

Deleted member 12384955

[Ca reprends ce que Templa avait indiqué sur son post de juillet dernier. il n'y a plus de problème de noir bouché à partir de 90% de luminosité. Mais qui veut garder son tel à 90 % de luminosité, même avec le paramètre écran moins lumineux ? C'est juste inconfortable.
Sans compter que quand le téléphone chauffe, la luminosité est limitée à 60 % environ (le curseur ne fait plus effet à partir de là). Il y a juste à vivre avec ce problème de noir bouché. Pour la barre verte, je ne l'ai jamais vu avec le lanceur microsoft, avec des fond d'écran completement noir sur tout l'écran. Cette barre est surement le lanceur officiel qui a une barre gris très foncé qui apparaît bouchée du mauvais réglage de l'ecran, comme dnas les film sombre etc.]

C'est ce qu'a dit Templa sur son post de juillet, la barre verte et le noir gonflé disparaissent au dessus de 90% de luminosité. Mais garder la luminosité au-dessus de 90 % même avec "l'écran moins lumineux" n'est tout simplement pas idéal car vous n'avez pas le réglage automatique et il est beaucoup trop lumineux la plupart du temps.
De plus, lorsque le téléphone devient vraiment chaud, la luminosité est plafonnée à 60 % (le curseur ne fait rien de 60 à 100 %). Nous ne pouvons vraiment rien y faire. À propos de la barre verte, cela ne s'est jamais produit avec le lanceur Microsoft, mon fond d'écran noir est entièrement noir sur tout l'écran, même faible à luminosité. Jamais vraiment essayé le lanceur vanille qui a probablement une légère barre gris foncé en haut qui devient gonflée par le mauvais calibrage de l'écran

Templa évoque en effet une action mais en gardant la luminosité "en adaptatif" coché derrière. Cela ne réglait pas le problème de barre verdâtre sur les fonds d'écran d'accueil full black et photo très sombre. Pour cela que je me permets d'expliquer la manipulation qui m'a permis de corriger le problème.

Mon Xperia ne chauffe pas en restant à 90% et avec le réglage "écran moins lumineux" toujours activé, le pic de luminosité est vraiment correct et n'est pas exagéré. Après oui, il est utile sur des utilisateurs comme moi qui aime les fonds d'écran Oled à la majorité très sombre. Sans devoir changer de lanceur.
Ce meme réglage avec des photos à couleurs intenses et vibrantes, peut effectivement faire beaucoup trop en luminosité mais dans ce cas là on n'est plus en présence de la barre verte en haut de l'écran d'accueil qui correspond au lanceur XPERIA. Donc dans cette configuration plus besoin de rester à 90% de luminosité:)

mufunyo

Jul 28, 2012
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Hello any english here ? That is the no 1 rule on xda.
Don't worry, all they're saying is that 90% brightness works around the issue, and that the "extra dim" quick toggle helps to reduce the brightness, something I and other people have already stated before in this thread months ago. So you're not missing anything by not being able to read French.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys I have some news for you all:

I sent in my Xperia 1 IV to a licensed Sony repair service and they repaired it "based on my report".
    I got it back after just 5 days. They did not write me what they actually did, if either they could recalibrate the display or just exchanged it. I don't know and I cannot check it myself. I am thinking they exchanged the display.

BUT the whole problem with greenish tint AND even black banding/crush on lower brightness <90% is completely gone after the display replacement. The whole display looks much better now overall and I can see even more details on lower brightness than before.

I guess we got displays from a faulty batch or something.

The "POP" on 90% display brightness is still there, BUT Samsung OLED displays have this "POP" in colors and contrast when overdriving the display brightness. I guess this might be normal behaviour.

I will upload some photos and a video for you guys to compare sometime this week.

UPDATE: There is still some issue with the 5% grey and below, but it is not as bad as it was before or mentioned with photos in this thread. But this definetely feels like configurable by software, so an update might fix this some time.
    Just did that few days ago and still waiting for their reply.
    I'd return it if you are still within the return period...I returned a faulty I IV, battery stopped charging after a week or so. Don't get involved with their pathetic Sony Support, they will try and fob you off with any old ****..."its a feature blah blah blah"...
    Yeah I am in contact with the support again. Either I get it replaced entirely or just the display. I will notify you whatever happens.
    Please notify us if this is a software or hardware issue.
    The screen has a really big issue with clogged black, even with 100% brightness. Compared with xperia 1 I it's night and day.
    A simple test video like here
    Shows the IV stopping at around 5.5% when my 1 I goes as low as 0.9%.
    Watching Bladerunner 2049 on bravia core wasn't a really good experience due to the banding created by the clogged black. I'm not even talking about the second scene of the last fantastic beast, in the dark forest.
    Also the green tint!
    D
    Deleted member 12384955
    Bonjour à tous,

Voir PJ.