Question Display turning off for no apparent reason while in use

Search This thread

Glaux

Feb 20, 2011
OnePlus 5T
Google Pixel 6
Anyone else experiencing this? Less than 10 seconds after I fingerprint unlock, sometimes the screen will go black while I'm reading a message or whatever. Other times it seems to be triggered by a touch action, like pressing on an icon or clearing a notification.

I found no setting that explains it. Screen timeout is set to 1 minute. I don't have any third party lockscreen or display related apps. It's been happening for as long as I can remember with this phone, and I thought the January update might fix it but it persisted through. Faulty proximity sensor maybe? I'm starting to contemplate warranty servicing.

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Anyone else experiencing this? Less than 10 seconds after I fingerprint unlock, sometimes the screen will go black while I'm reading a message or whatever. Other times it seems to be triggered by a touch action, like pressing on an icon or clearing a notification.

I found no setting that explains it. Screen timeout is set to 1 minute. I don't have any third party lockscreen or display related apps. It's been happening for as long as I can remember with this phone, and I thought the January update might fix it but it persisted through. Faulty proximity sensor maybe? I'm starting to contemplate warranty servicing.
I think it's A12. On the P5 you could look at the device and it would stay on when doing something. The feature, although there is a setting on/off, does not work any longer. I never had it on the P6 shipped with A12 but on the P5 my wife has the same problems since updating. So perhaps a proximity update will fix it but if all else is working the replacement will almost guaranteed be worse.

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 6

Are you using a custom kernel or have had a custom kernel installed in the past?
If so, you will need to try a factory reset and complete full stock image.

Glaux

Feb 20, 2011
OnePlus 5T
Google Pixel 6
I think it's A12. On the P5 you could look at the device and it would stay on when doing something. The feature, although there is a setting on/off, does not work any longer. I never had it on the P6 shipped with A12 but on the P5 my wife has the same problems since updating. So perhaps a proximity update will fix it but if all else is working the replacement will almost guaranteed be worse.
I saw that setting but I don't see how it's relevant. Even without that setting, the display should not turn off on its own before 1 minute of inactivity.

Are you using a custom kernel or have had a custom kernel installed in the past?
If so, you will need to try a factory reset and complete full stock image.
No. I didn't do any modding beyond bootloader unlock and root with Magisk. I flashed the January factory image a few days ago and rerooted, but as I said the problem started long before that.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I saw that setting but I don't see how it's relevant. Even without that setting, the display should not turn off on its own before 1 minute of inactivity.

No. I didn't do any modding beyond bootloader unlock and root with Magisk. I flashed the January factory image a few days ago and rerooted, but as I said the problem started long before that.
I didn't realize you were rooted, I usually don't read signatures. Have you unrooted and tested? Other than that I'm not rooted so perhaps someone can help you out. Maybe change the title of the thread so rooted folks will jump in with suggestions. Good luck.

Glaux

Feb 20, 2011
OnePlus 5T
Google Pixel 6
Looks like the issue might have come from the launcher I use, Smart Launcher. Specifically a setting called "Smart Screen Off" that's not working as intended. I turned that off and so far I can't reproduce the issue.