• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

DIY Phone Strap

Search This thread

equi_design

Sep 20, 2009
FL
Google Nexus 4
HTC Sensation
Made this for the safe keeping of my 8T. I was using a Gordy's leather strap, but my 6mo puppy ate it. *facepalm*
garnet-phone-strap.jpg

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I used 500lb nylon. Do you think that will work? I definitely want it strong, so looking for opinions here. :)

Obviously that's not able to hold 500#.
The problem is the monofilament, it's all or nothing. Multistrand usually shows signs of abrasion and impending failure.
Clear nylon is also UV sensitive and doesn't weather well in dry environments.

You want a tether preferably that has no metal rings or such that can scratch the phone. Most phone cases lack good attachment points or accommodate only ridiculously thin tethers. I want at least a 50# tensile strength. First time it gets snagged on something you'll know why...
The weakest link theory applies very much to tethers.

I wear BDU cargo pants so I just use a good case and the thigh pocket. This works well even with large phones and they don't drop out but are still easily accessible.
You'll need to put some thought and searching into this to find the best solution for you.

Reactions: equi_design

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Made this for the safe keeping of my 8T. I was using a Gordy's leather strap, but my 6mo puppy ate it. *facepalm*
    garnet-phone-strap.jpg
    You want a multistrand braid tether attachment.
    Monofilament nylon fails with little or no warning.
    I used 500lb nylon. Do you think that will work? I definitely want it strong, so looking for opinions here. :)

Obviously that's not able to hold 500#.
    The problem is the monofilament, it's all or nothing. Multistrand usually shows signs of abrasion and impending failure.
    Clear nylon is also UV sensitive and doesn't weather well in dry environments.

You want a tether preferably that has no metal rings or such that can scratch the phone. Most phone cases lack good attachment points or accommodate only ridiculously thin tethers. I want at least a 50# tensile strength. First time it gets snagged on something you'll know why...
    The weakest link theory applies very much to tethers.

I wear BDU cargo pants so I just use a good case and the thigh pocket. This works well even with large phones and they don't drop out but are still easily accessible.
    You'll need to put some thought and searching into this to find the best solution for you.
    Thanks for the assist. This strap is mostly to get me through until my new Gordy's arrives. His straps are built like tanks.