[DIY Project]Captivate HighQuality HomeMade USB Jig!! **Completed**

Search This thread

spankmaster

Nov 22, 2009
Marietta
Hey There!

So a few weeks ago my friend (HaiKaiDo here on the XDA forums) got a replacement Samsung captivate from att after having some bad luck with an Official "OTA" update. Upon running odin the first time on his phone to prepare it for flashing some of the roms here on XDA he noticed that after doing so, he lost his capability to use the three button combination to kick him into download mode. While there is another version of odin, this still made both of uneasy with thoughts of a "yeah...that would only happen to me -_-" moment. So he asked me if we could make a USB jig for just incase. This would be something that isnt just a bunch of resistors twisted together and taped to a hacked off micro usb cable ending, or just twisting resistors together and trying to POKE at the inside of the captivates micro usb port (Sounds primitive yes?). After a few minutes of brain storming we came up with a failry simple solution and list of materials needed

1.) Premade PCB Board
2.) A Now defunct wireless receiver for a Kensington wireless mouse. (this was for the housing
3.) 3 100k Ohm Resistors (Fire resistant 2% tolerance worked best for us)
4.) A Micro USB ending carefully revoed from its cable and plastic housing
5.) Spray liquid tape and some good old fashioned HotGlue

There were two main attempts made at making this USB jig. The first attempt ended in complete failure and frustration through what turned out to be no fault of our own. It just so turned out that we were using resistors that were using had a higher tolerance (this ends up in discrepancy in what the actual resistance is compared to the rated resistance) so a few things were happening here. We would get out a meter to test the resistance and everything would pan out fine, then directly after we would plug in the jig and no dice. This led to us repeatedly adding and removing 1k ohm resistors for hours trying to find the "sweet spot" so to speak. This never happened....at all. So here we are a few weeks later with those nice 2% tolerance resistors (that were picked up from Fry's electronic for .95 cents SUCKIT RADIO SHACK heh 6 dollars for a pack of resistors bah) and some spare time. This time around, things went much smoother and faster with trimming down the pcb board, soldering on the resistors to the board and connecting them from the board to the micro usb end. And finally cramming them neatly (with **** loads of hot glue :D ) into the case that we had fashioned to use for this project. Here are some pictures and Youtube video of the final product below!

Enjoy

Spankmaster & HaiKaiDo(Hand cameo in the video woot woot :D)

PS: Stop spending TEN DOLLARS ON EBAY for one of these! Its rather easy and pretty damn fun to do! And how cool will you look when you can show your friends what you made ;D
PSS: Sorry for the lack of any form of start and middle pictures or content, we always decide to make something and think that were not going to post it, and then when it ends up being cool all we have is the end result to tell about hah.

Last edited:

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
I know this a SUPER old bump. But this was something that a friend and i made a good few months back but i think it has relevance as it seems there is a wave of people asking about jigs again in random places strewn throughout the forums. So for the same of saving some phones and money. BUMP

owmygulay

Jan 18, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Stop spending TEN DOLLARS ON EBAY for one of these!

When you factor in the cost of the resistors, that little board, the usb connector, and a can of liquid tape if you don't have it already, it would cost alot more to make one than the $8 I paid for my jig that I purchased. You did a great job with your jig and the video but if you don't already have the supplies it is way cheaper and easier to just buy one.

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
When you factor in the cost of the resistors, that little board, the usb connector, and a can of liquid tape if you don't have it already, it would cost alot more to make one than the $8 I paid for my jig that I purchased. You did a great job with your jig and the video but if you don't already have the supplies it is way cheaper and easier to just buy one.

I would have to completely disagree. I made this ALL out of stuff i had laying around the house. also The bread board is optional. That was just my own personal touch. I spent 0 dollars. you spent 8 ;D. I had my jig in 30 minutes, you had to wait days. ;D