• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[DIY] Rubberized soft touch battery door

Search This thread

mhaedo

Apr 8, 2009
Philadelphia
I love my Nexus S. Yes, the build quality is plastic, yet anything but cheap. I've seen a lot of compliments on the slick back cover (battery door). However, it's not to my taste. I find it to be overly reflective, a fingerprint magnet, and slippery to the point where I would drop my phone if it were not for the reverse chin.

Solution: DIY Soft touch battery door (rubberized back cover)
I simply applied four thin layers of spray on black PlastiDip. As in the instructions, make sure to shake the can thoroughly for a full minute and keep the can of PlastiDip a full 12-16 inches from the back cover of the phone. Wait a full 30 minutes between coats. Make sure to spray all the way around the edge of the battery door into the back of the cover. If you do not coat the edge your coating will eventually begin to peel at the edge. The easiest method is probably to mask off the contacts for the NFC antenna and spray the entire cover, inside and out. That way there is no rubber seam to peel at the edge.

Here are the results. I think the images phone2.jpg and phone3.jpg most accurately show the results. The closeups tend to make the cover look more textured than it actually appears.

PlastiDip is easily peeled off if you start at an edge, but difficult to peel off unintentionally. If I ever get bored with the finish or want to sell the phone I can remove the rubber within seconds.

Attachments

• phone1.jpg
    phone1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 17,558
  • phone2.jpg
    phone2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17,164
  • phone3.jpg
    phone3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 15,993
  • phone4.jpg
    phone4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 13,628
  • phone5.jpg
    phone5.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 12,889
  • phone6.jpg
    phone6.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 12,225
Last edited:

Smilez_c

Jan 8, 2007
Is plastidip messy? because I'm gonna try this when I get home but it 20F outside and Im not wait thirty mins between coats in such weather lol. So I hope its doable in the house. However when I do mine I might put tape over the Google logo and peel it off after all dry and clean because I dont wanna lose that:D, I could careless about the samsung tho lol

demo23019

Dec 9, 2007
Whats great is you dont need to sand and ruin the cover and simply peels off.

Thanks for sharing think im going to try this, might do clear color :D

Last edited:

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
But what about other cases or the front of the phone? You can't fit a regular cases now or any sort of holster. How is it in the pocket?

mhaedo

Apr 8, 2009
Philadelphia
But what about other cases or the front of the phone? You can't fit a regular cases now or any sort of holster. How is it in the pocket?

Even with four thin coats, it doesn't add enough bulk to prevent another case from fitting on the phone. For the screen, I use a Zagg for now until something better comes out. As for the feel in the pocket it is a little tacky. It doesn't slide in and out of the pocket as smoothly as I'd like, but in my opinion it's a necessary trade off. I still prefer the rubberized back.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Reactions: avili

Smokexz

Jul 11, 2010
Florida
What about the NFC chip? this is what worries me about the Nexus S, the NFC relies on this "cheap, plastic" cover... The NFC chip needs to be within centimeters of the other object's NFC chip. Wouldn't this interfere? Anyone try after applying a case or using this rubberized method?

Smilez_c

Jan 8, 2007
Just make sure u hold can 12"-16" from cover I was too close on my first coat so I sprayed too much on there. But it looks fine

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

mhaedo

Apr 8, 2009
Philadelphia
Just make sure u hold can 12"-16" from cover I was too close on my first coat so I sprayed too much on there. But it looks fine

Many thin layers works best. Also, you have to make sure the rubber on the sides is as thick as the back, and spray it all the way around the lip of the battery door. If you don't coat around the edge into the inside of the battery door your rubber will eventually begin to peel at the edge.

Reactions: avili

Smilez_c

Jan 8, 2007
Many thin layers works best. Also, you have to make sure the rubber on the sides is as thick as the back, and spray it all the way around the lip of the battery door. If you don't coat around the edge into the inside of the battery door your rubber will eventually begin to peel at the edge.

Thanks a lot bro.... I peeled off the the first try it wasnt bad but i got the hang of it now im trying to be perfect:p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I love my Nexus S. Yes, the build quality is plastic, yet anything but cheap. I've seen a lot of compliments on the slick back cover (battery door). However, it's not to my taste. I find it to be overly reflective, a fingerprint magnet, and slippery to the point where I would drop my phone if it were not for the reverse chin.

Solution: DIY Soft touch battery door (rubberized back cover)
    I simply applied four thin layers of spray on black PlastiDip. As in the instructions, make sure to shake the can thoroughly for a full minute and keep the can of PlastiDip a full 12-16 inches from the back cover of the phone. Wait a full 30 minutes between coats. Make sure to spray all the way around the edge of the battery door into the back of the cover. If you do not coat the edge your coating will eventually begin to peel at the edge. The easiest method is probably to mask off the contacts for the NFC antenna and spray the entire cover, inside and out. That way there is no rubber seam to peel at the edge.

Here are the results. I think the images phone2.jpg and phone3.jpg most accurately show the results. The closeups tend to make the cover look more textured than it actually appears.

PlastiDip is easily peeled off if you start at an edge, but difficult to peel off unintentionally. If I ever get bored with the finish or want to sell the phone I can remove the rubber within seconds.

Even with four thin coats, it doesn't add enough bulk to prevent another case from fitting on the phone. For the screen, I use a Zagg for now until something better comes out. As for the feel in the pocket it is a little tacky. It doesn't slide in and out of the pocket as smoothly as I'd like, but in my opinion it's a necessary trade off. I still prefer the rubberized back.

But what happens if you put a holster/case on? Won't it degrade the rubber?

Thanks a lot bro.... I peeled off the the first try it wasnt bad but i got the hang of it now im trying to be perfect:p

No problem man. That's the best part about this stuff...it peels right off and you have your original battery cover. I actually had to reapply mine once because it started peeling at the edges. I covered the entire thing inside and out except a small cutout for the contacts for the NFC antenna. It doesn't peel at all that way.

Make sure you never use any solvent to get it off, just peel it. The solvent will discolor the inside of your battery door, damage the NFC antenna, and take off your oleophobic screen coating. I learned that the hard way. Fortunately I was already going to swap that unit out due to a hardware defect.