Question Do "approved" screen covers help with fingerprint scanner?

Search This thread

JoeHockey

Sep 21, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 6a
So I searched around and didn't find an exact answer so sorry if this has been asked/answered before. 6A with a Tocol glass screen cover. I was actually getting decent results prior to the Android 13 update but ever since the fingerprint reader is almost useless. I have deleted and relearned fingerprints multiple times both with and without increasing the screen sensitivity but nothing has worked. Has anyone tried the google approved screen covers and did they help?

Reactions: charly30

neatojones

Dec 28, 2010
Springfield, IL
It seems that most glass screen protectors work just okay for fingerprint in my experience. I have figured out that the trick seems to be setting it up right. The instructions indicate that you need to move you finger into various positions, but instead I have found that it is better to just use the finger position you typically will use but in varying degrees of pressure on the screen. I hope that makes sense....in other words it helps to put your finger on the screen lightly, then keep it in essentially the same position but press slightly harder several times.

Reactions: JoeHockey and c_tho

JoeHockey

Sep 21, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 6a
It seems that most glass screen protectors work just okay for fingerprint in my experience. I have figured out that the trick seems to be setting it up right. The instructions indicate that you need to move you finger into various positions, but instead I have found that it is better to just use the finger position you typically will use but in varying degrees of pressure on the screen. I hope that makes sense....in other words it helps to put your finger on the screen lightly, then keep it in essentially the same position but press slightly harder several times.
Hmmm...that's an interesting idea. I'll have to give it a try, I've tried everything else. At some point I'll take the time to just remove my screen cover to see if it helps. Thanks!

neo_lithic3K

May 12, 2013
San Francisco
Google Pixel 8
I've been using an old generic matte PET screen protector designed for an older pixel phone without any problems, so i don't think you need to get an "approved" one. I didn't increase sensitivity setting either.

6a's fingerprint reader works consistently for me, except maybe a rare misread every few months because my finger was very dry or something. In those instances, I unlock successfully with my other registered finger.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I searched around and didn't find an exact answer so sorry if this has been asked/answered before. 6A with a Tocol glass screen cover. I was actually getting decent results prior to the Android 13 update but ever since the fingerprint reader is almost useless. I have deleted and relearned fingerprints multiple times both with and without increasing the screen sensitivity but nothing has worked. Has anyone tried the google approved screen covers and did they help?