General Do not buy this phone

Search This thread

wertus33333

• Sep 14, 2016
    Do not buy black shark phones, reasons are:
    - will never be officially unlocked
    - You will never receive appropriate support from blackshark/xiaomi
    - Impossible to find stock rom from oem (and it will always be unavailable)
    - No system updates if you updated to beta/modified your system/black shark is lazy and ****'s on the customer
    - Support is 1 bot called "Jason" which will just give you the same answers over and over (useless).
    - no support from xiaomi (although its a xiaomi brand and they made promises... all lies! As we know it from Xiaomi though...)
    - Blackshark always has full access to all your data (maybe those illegal activities are the reason for no source code...)
    - Too expensive for above reasons/bad quality housing

Seriously, go for a Oneplus which are about the same price and better in every point (leading in open sourcing their things!)

Its best to stray away from Xiaomi aswell...

May 5, 2021
    Black Shark 4 Pro
    True, but with the long heatpipe inside, the super quick charge and for now pretty much the highest benchmark scores of all Android phones ever existed, its quite impressive on the hardware side.

But I agree, the bloatware, spyware and whatnot, plus messy Google Play support is a major concern.

Reactions: thewitchmerlin

wertus33333

• Sep 14, 2016
    True, but with the long heatpipe inside, the super quick charge and for now pretty much the highest benchmark scores of all Android phones ever existed, its quite impressive on the hardware side.

But I agree, the bloatware, spyware and whatnot, plus messy Google Play support is a major concern.
    well which 888 phone does not have a thick heatpipe inside? ;) high average score (by far not the highest)- users with 888 phones and open source can install a custom kernel with high termal limits (like bs4) and oc to get way higher benchmark scores and actual improved gaming performance (thanks to newer drivers, kernel and community optimizations). not to speak of the way lighter custom os compared to miui based.

MiSSigNNo

• Feb 7, 2006
    Madrid
    4p.marketing
    well which 888 phone does not have a thick heatpipe inside?
    This is what happens on the best alternative 888.

1620594412624.png

No gaming phone has a good development scene. Neither Asus ROG, Nubia Redmagic nor Lenovo Legion. So obviously, I would not expect anything great from BS 4.

At least I hope that at some point bootloader could be unlocked, and I could root it. This is all I will ask. Anyway I have to say that JoyUI is great for gaming. A full-featured experience that will enhance something that any other custom ROM will ever do with custom software.

I can't agree with this post. After researching MANY phones I've got to the conclusion that BS4 is outstanding for what it was designed for (gaming).

If you want to play Candy Crush, probably POCO X3 PRO is a better option. But if you want to go with Free Fire, PUBG Mobile or even Wild Rift or Arena of Valor, this phone is exquisite.

PS: OnePlus is a rip off. After OP 3 they become absurdly expensive, and now they are launching ****ty budget alternatives like One Plus Nord that are completely subpar to the flagship killers. If you want a GREAT phone as a daily driver for work, I would go hands down, for POCO F3 no discussion. But for gaming POCO F3 is also subpar. Gaming phones like BS4 are here for something relevant. I support them and is great that finally pro players are going away from long years of iPhone dominance thanks to this innovation.

PS2: I'm currently using for my daily driver a 3-year old Poco F1 with PE11+ which is great from a privacy concern. Snapdragon 835 is more than sufficient for the classic apps. I'm not going to mine bitcoins with my phone or do an art gallery with my Poco F1 photos. I will not install a big deal in my BS 4 either, so not much data is going to be extracted from me apart from my gaming sessions, which are delighting on my brand new BS4

Last edited:

wertus33333

• Sep 14, 2016
    no gaming phone has a good development scene. Neither Asus ROG, Nubia Redmagic nor Lenovo Legion. So obviously, I would not expect anything great from BS 4.
    but at least asus gives the kernel source (idk about the others) making a development scene possible. just wait some years.
    At least I hope that at some point bootloader could be unlocked, and I could root it. This is all I will ask. Anyway I have to say that JoyUI is great for gaming. A full-featured experience that will enhance something that any other custom ROM will ever do with custom software.
    i dont see any benefits in joyui, you can have every option - just lighter, with less impact on performance and battery life - on a custom os
    if you want to play Candy Crush, probably POCO X3 PRO is a better option. But if you want to go with Free Fire, PUBG Mobile or even Wild Rift or Arena of Valor, this phone is exquisite.
    the benefits in any of those games when comparing bs3 vs op nord n10 (in hand ;))are minimal for me. maybe n10 cant keep up to the 90 fps everywhere but i can play longer and the ips screen seems sharper and with less/no ghosting. If you play emulators (wii onwards) its a completely different story though.
    PS: OnePlus is a rip off. After OP 3 they become absurdly expensive, and now they are launching ****ty budget alternatives like One Plus Nord that are completely subpar to the flagship killers. If you want a GREAT phone as a daily driver for work, I would go hands down, for POCO F3 no discussion. But for gaming POCO F3 is also subpar. Gaming phones like BS4 are here for something relevant. I support them and is great that finally pro players are going away from long years of iPhone dominance thanks to this innovation.
    still same price range for same soc as bs but with propper support and open source.

well, if you dont want to fiddle with your mobile in any way and have privacy concerns / want an UI even a toddler could handle, go for iphone.
    PS2: I'm currently using for my daily driver a 3-year old Poco F1 with PE11+ which is great from a privacy concern. Snapdragon 835 is more than sufficient for the classic apps. I'm not going to mine bitcoins with my phone or do an art gallery with my Poco F1 photos. I will not install a big deal in my BS 4 either, so not much data is going to be extracted from me apart from my gaming sessions, which are delighting on my brand new BS4
    if you want privacy go for an android phone with open source kernel and an ungoogled custom rom (with open source replacements if needed). if you use gapps you are better off with an iphone ;). op nord n10 is pretty decent (even for light gaming)

wertus33333

• Sep 14, 2016
    Dude you cannot compare OP Nord 10 with Black Shark 4 that is almost blasphemy.
    well, both phone both android both 5g both aux port ;) android phones got way too powetful for the games we have on android lately... but back to topic: i think if someone looks on xda to check out a new phone, he wants to be able to at least unlock the bl and root it. Most people probably also want to be able to update theyr phones with the newest security patches/android from google in some years when the phone is eol. If you want any of this, do not buy this phone. go for a cheaper one with 888 AND open source (i made the mistake and bought a bs3, dont make the same mistake).
    if you will buy a new 700 bucks phone within 2 years anyways - ok, then this phone might be sth for you (you should receive software updates for 2 years). you would however, probably not look on xda, a platform for users who want to get the most out of theyr phones by adjusting the software which is open source, thanks to google.

MiSSigNNo

• Feb 7, 2006
    Madrid
    4p.marketing
    Well, as I said, for that, I have POCO F1.

It's true that Black Shark devices have not revealed the kernel and firmware so far. But I have to say that no ROM has been released so far for any gaming phone, that support the triggers.

Something interesting abotu custom roms:

I have a Oneplus 2. Always updated to the latest LineageOS. Recently I had a technical project for a guy that needed to install some security cams using phones and I wanted to use my OP2 for testing with Lineage 17.1 (at that point). My surprise: OS kept freezing the cam every couple of minutes. Tested other alternative ROMS and same happed, so I decided to go back to the latest OxygenOS released ages ago: It worked flawlessly.

Same happened with my oldie Galaxy Nexus. Only going back to 4.4 made it stable enough to be used as a -somewhat- daily driver.

So far I'm super happy with POCO F1 custom ROMS, and I'm currently using Pixel Experience, but there are very few phones in the market that will keep it up for long enough. After a couple of years, how is currently designed the market, you are completely forced to renew for most phones in no more than 4 years, and for some exceptional phones like POCO F1 will be a little bit longer.

But as I said, if you take seriously gaming, no OP has specs like BS4. 144Hz screen and a 400Hz+ sampling rate. Killer phone.

PS: I've paid $400 for my BS4, 2-day delivery from Amazon. The cheapest ROG5 was $500 and 2 weeks minimum delivery from China. I would be more worried of the phone breaking and losing warranty, than not having infinite updates.

About your complaint in XDA, it's true. But this is why this phone doesn't have currently a specific Custom ROM subsection like other phones. Just a generic discussion forum for all related topics, like unlocking bootloader, so I could install Magisk.

wertus33333

• Sep 14, 2016

It's true that Black Shark devices have not revealed the kernel and firmware so far. But I have to say that no ROM has been released so far for any gaming phone, that support the triggers.

I have a Oneplus 2. Always updated to the latest LineageOS. Recently I had a technical project for a guy that needed to install some security cams using phones and I wanted to use my OP2 for testing with Lineage 17.1 (at that point). My surprise: OS kept freezing the cam every couple of minutes. Tested other alternative ROMS and same happed, so I decided to go back to the latest OxygenOS released ages ago: It worked flawlessly.

Same happened with my oldie Galaxy Nexus. Only going back to 4.4 made it stable enough to be used as a -somewhat- daily driver.

So far I'm super happy with POCO F1 custom ROMS, and I'm currently using Pixel Experience, but there are very few phones in the market that will keep it up for long enough. After a couple of years, how is currently designed the market, you are completely forced to renew for most phones in no more than 4 years, and for some exceptional phones like POCO F1 will be a little bit longer.

But as I said, if you take seriously gaming, no OP has specs like BS4. 144Hz screen and a 400Hz+ sampling rate. Killer phone.

PS: I've paid $400 for my BS4, 2-day delivery from Amazon. The cheapest ROG5 was $500 and 2 weeks minimum delivery from China. I would be more worried of the phone breaking and losing warranty, than not having infinite updates.

About your complaint in XDA, it's true. But this is why this phone doesn't have currently a specific Custom ROM subsection like other phones. Just a generic discussion forum for all related topics, like unlocking bootloader, so I could install Magisk.
    poco with pe (which includes gapps)--> nothing about privacy here xD

well, op releases the aosp (without oxygenos additions tho) source code. as far as i know only google and oneplus do this.

android is open source, we dont need stock rom source. we need kernel source (google what the linux kernel is, you will understand why...) so the community can fix what the oem does not/ can't / we can build custom roms based on the open android code.

i also used an oneplus2 (los/cm13 with recent patches) until last fall. if the screen didn't cut my fingers bcs it totally broke, i would still use it (batterylife with the right adjustments was insane). all my more recent xiaomi phones (mi a2 lite, redmi note 5 ai, mi 4c) died long time ago. did you debug it over adb? like that you can know what exactly the problem is, fix it in source and use the fixed version (or go to a custom rom with same android version as last official one, porting to more recent android without recent vendor blobs can cause many problems)

No, you can use a phone for 10+ years with the newest features EASY if you have kernel source. OFC oem's dont want this xD but the phones are not really increasing a lot lately (especially regarding cpu's) the storage and gpu gets better (adreno 650 was a milestone) but thats it (from the performance sight). you are only forced to change if the oem is a piece of garbage, violating the law and not releasing the kernel source. Blackshark is such a company, stop supporting them please.

If you take gaming seriously, you would see that more than 120hz refresh rate are useless (which games even support it?) and a 835 phone can still play ANYTHING on highest settings on 120hz and 1080p. 4k would be different. also a serious gamer (who knows that optimized software is WAY more important than a little bit increased hardware) would care about software updates/improved android kernel and the most important thing (how to get more power from your phone?) overclocking/changing thermal limits. optimize a 865 op phone and compare (gaming, not synthetic benchmarks) it to bs4, bs4 will be on par against sth that is not even a gaming phone and has an older soc. Ofc if you COULD do this on bs4, it would go like a rocket (only recognizeable in heavy emulation/benchmarks tho).

well, if there are any problems with the ROG5, just send it to asus, they will fix it if it's within the warranty (and asus is big, you can trust that). Trying to claim warranty at black shark will probably end in jason telling you that all is good and as soon as you sent the phone back he wont reply anymore xD.

the custom subsection is not there bcs
    a) xda needs time to build it (no new phone has subsections...)
    b) no kernel source--> no custom development.

Seriously, if you need "the best" phone as a statussymbol, go for an iphone. if you want cheap gaming on top notch, go for a soc with a good gpu (waiting for nvidia socs to appear in smartphones again) of the last 3 years and open kernel source. every android game will run with top performance.

For mining bitcoins/emulating 3ds/switch/ps3 the performance per current of the bs4 seems pretty nice. but then again, the kernel source...

really sad to put so much into a phone but leaving the user unable to fully use it.

and yeah, as soon as you root the phone, you can probably smoke the official updates from blackshark...

Last edited:

MiSSigNNo

• Feb 7, 2006
    Madrid
    4p.marketing
    poco with pe (which includes gapps)--> nothing about privacy here xD
    I was thinking about privacy against chinese apps, not about general privacy snowden level sorry

Seriously, if you need "the best" phone as a statussymbol, go for an iphone. if you want cheap gaming on top notch, go for a soc with a good gpu (waiting for nvidia socs to appear in smartphones again) of the last 3 years and open kernel source. every android game will run with top performance.

In the eSports competition iPhones are part of the past. Now with the current gaming hardware, everyone has either a ROG, Legion, Redmagic or Black Shark. This is a common standard. iPhones are now for the noobs.

which games even support it?

But it's true that top games are being too conservative on implementing the 144 FPS function. In fact I feel they are doing some partnerships to ship it to a bunch of phones that partner with them exclusively. For example in Wild Rift Black Shark 2 supports 120 FPS but the 3 and the 4th doesn't which is kind of funny.

This mobile gaming world is slightly corrupted yet. Hope it evolves in the next couple of months.

Still BS4 is top-notch. I'm completely amazed except for obviously the development part, which I agree with you mostly but not enough to shut my chosen option down. I have had both POCO F3 and X3 PRO in my hands and still I feel that BS 4 is light years away exclusively for gaming. I feel I can win more games having tested all. Plain simple from a practical stand point.

MiSSigNNo

• Feb 7, 2006
    Madrid
    4p.marketing
    The physical buttons on the side can help me play games. And the super-fast charge attracts me. In fact, I'm a bit regret buying it because it can not be unlocked.
    Just wait a little. It will be unlocked sooner or later.

My only regret is that it supposedly had NFC on the paper and I can't find the NFC anywhere. I did not had a NFC phone since Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I want one now to test Google Pay!!

If I'm 100% sincere, I currently don't have that rush of unlocking, since it goes so smooth that I don't feel the need of having a extra pinch of anything in particular.

May 5, 2021
    Black Shark 4 Pro

My only regret is that it supposedly had NFC on the paper and I can't find the NFC anywhere. I did not had a NFC phone since Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I want one now to test Google Pay!!

If I'm 100% sincere, I currently don't have that rush of unlocking, since it goes so smooth that I don't feel the need of having a extra pinch of anything in particular.

BS 4 Pro has NFC, dunno where that rumor comes from ..

BMBCash

Nov 24, 2020
    i buy bs4 i know i will never get unlocked but for me its ok because when i see the roms for red magic 5 or rog 3 its so normal like downgrade you phone most rom great for normal use or normal gaming but when come to trigger and customize gaming hard to find rom supported
    i have op3 and op6 with evo x rom work great i just wanna try something new in game
    so bs4 cheap for what i want and good for 2 year also with 120w daily use i will kill the phone in 2year
    so cheap bs4 12ram and 128g(i pick 256g) for 2 year is great choice

MiSSigNNo

• Feb 7, 2006
    Madrid
    4p.marketing
    normal like downgrade you phone most rom great for normal use or normal gaming but when come to trigger and customize gaming hard to find rom supported
    Exactly I see it like you.

I don't play any more in PC nowadays, only mobile, so instead of buying a GTX 3060 for around $400 that will serve me no more than 3 years, I've preferred to buy a specific gaming phone that doesn't have an equivalent among the "custom" phones like OP or Xiaomi/POCO.

Triggers, the huge frequency of touch screen (720Hz), etc... and the sound is completely wonderful

But I don't see the utility nowadays in more than 8GB. There are no games that consume more than 4GB RAM, considering that the base RAM consumption is around 2-2.5GB you will always have 1.5GB Free with 8GB but 6.5GB Free with 12GB which is obnoxious. This will not change for the next 3 or 4 years so I think that those 10+GB is just marketing trickery. Black Shark Pro and Redmagic/ROG with 16-18GB are a total waste.

This is not like a PC, where you have 10 programs opened in the background. In Android after a couple of seconds, the apps autoclose, removing the RAM they use. Therefore being over 3GB with system apps is extremely unlikely. But If I could remove the Xiaomi System apps by opening the bootloader one day, I will save some extra 512MB of RAM which will leave the phone in the basic 2GB stable for system app, leaving a total of 6GB RAM for gaming which is almost perfection.

ZaneCode6574

Sep 12, 2017
    Xiaomi Black Shark 4

The NFC on Black-Shark 4 works well. But I seldom use it. For me, unlock the phone can help me capture the network data sometimes. Without unlock, there is no way to capture the HTTPS data on Android 11.

Sentelin

Jun 25, 2015

An impressive benchmark doesn't mean much. That's just sandbox stats. And as time and time again is proven, what is ideal in simulation and on paper, is subpar in real situations and then you have hindered the end-user experience. - what is the point of having something that is apparently competing for the " console" market if using it is atrocious experience

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      i buy bs4 i know i will never get unlocked but for me its ok because when i see the roms for red magic 5 or rog 3 its so normal like downgrade you phone most rom great for normal use or normal gaming but when come to trigger and customize gaming hard to find rom supported
      i have op3 and op6 with evo x rom work great i just wanna try something new in game
      so bs4 cheap for what i want and good for 2 year also with 120w daily use i will kill the phone in 2year
      so cheap bs4 12ram and 128g(i pick 256g) for 2 year is great choice
      normal like downgrade you phone most rom great for normal use or normal gaming but when come to trigger and customize gaming hard to find rom supported
      Exactly I see it like you.

I don't play any more in PC nowadays, only mobile, so instead of buying a GTX 3060 for around $400 that will serve me no more than 3 years, I've preferred to buy a specific gaming phone that doesn't have an equivalent among the "custom" phones like OP or Xiaomi/POCO.

Triggers, the huge frequency of touch screen (720Hz), etc... and the sound is completely wonderful

But I don't see the utility nowadays in more than 8GB. There are no games that consume more than 4GB RAM, considering that the base RAM consumption is around 2-2.5GB you will always have 1.5GB Free with 8GB but 6.5GB Free with 12GB which is obnoxious. This will not change for the next 3 or 4 years so I think that those 10+GB is just marketing trickery. Black Shark Pro and Redmagic/ROG with 16-18GB are a total waste.

This is not like a PC, where you have 10 programs opened in the background. In Android after a couple of seconds, the apps autoclose, removing the RAM they use. Therefore being over 3GB with system apps is extremely unlikely. But If I could remove the Xiaomi System apps by opening the bootloader one day, I will save some extra 512MB of RAM which will leave the phone in the basic 2GB stable for system app, leaving a total of 6GB RAM for gaming which is almost perfection.

The NFC on Black-Shark 4 works well. But I seldom use it. For me, unlock the phone can help me capture the network data sometimes. Without unlock, there is no way to capture the HTTPS data on Android 11.
      @thewitchmerlin depends. If you are planning to play "seriously" BS4 is like night and day with POCO F3. If you want to play like casually, but would like to have your phone for 4 or 5 years with the latest Android updates, POCO F3

Personally, I'm currently into playing hard nowadays. Instead of buying a PS5 or a Nintendo Switch or a new GPU NVIDIA RTX 30 series for my PC, I just prefer to play on my phone anywhere with the 5G SIM card. Therefore, for me, Black Shark 4 is like a video console I've recently bought, not a phone itself (although I can use it for any phone scenario)

In fact, I'm using my Black Shark 4 without the screen protection to improve the 720 Hz sampling rate to the maximum. Generally with my work phones I use a templated crystal cover to avoid screen breakings as my daily driver.

If I had to buy a new phone to replace my current one (POCO F1), for a daily driver, I would probably go for F3 hands down.
      I got the BS4 today, and damn its actually packing features I havent seen before, one worthy of note is MEMC, basically motion interpolation for any video viewing apps eg "youtube" and it works very good, 30 fps > 60fps, I tried this on games, it doesnt have that button to enable it... I was thinking of mobile dlss but for framerate.

- The shoulder buttons feel like cheating as well lol. Clicky, like nintendo switch L R buttons.
      - DTS surround stereo (not headphones, built in stereo) is very immersive, frikkin speechless.
      - Countless settings for tuning performance per game just boggles me, coming from PC gaming (rtx 3070, r5 2600, 32gb) it is a game changer, disabling thermal throttle to boost performance, yes please.
      - 720hz touch polling rate, its not on by default but damn, its something u can see and notice, 180hz vs 720hz is noticable (not to mention 1000hz is pc mouse polling rate, its getting close)
      - In other words, this phone is not a phone, its a monster. An amalgamation of the things u may or may not have seen before.
      edit: - I forgot to mention this unbelievable charging speed, the included 67w charger, the phone was 37%, I left for 5 mins, its now 61%. Literally threw me off of how fast it charges... too fast I must say...

"also, Apex Legends Mobile can be seen and downloaded via Play Store"

BS4 8GB RAM 128 GB STORAGE
      Do not buy black shark phones, reasons are:
      - will never be officially unlocked
      - You will never receive appropriate support from blackshark/xiaomi
      - Impossible to find stock rom from oem (and it will always be unavailable)
      - No system updates if you updated to beta/modified your system/black shark is lazy and ****'s on the customer
      - Support is 1 bot called "Jason" which will just give you the same answers over and over (useless).
      - no support from xiaomi (although its a xiaomi brand and they made promises... all lies! As we know it from Xiaomi though...)
      - Blackshark always has full access to all your data (maybe those illegal activities are the reason for no source code...)
      - Too expensive for above reasons/bad quality housing

Seriously, go for a Oneplus which are about the same price and better in every point (leading in open sourcing their things!)

Its best to stray away from Xiaomi aswell...
      Dude you cannot compare OP Nord 10 with Black Shark 4 that is almost blasphemy.

well which 888 phone does not have a thick heatpipe inside?
      This is what happens on the best alternative 888.

1620594412624.png

No gaming phone has a good development scene. Neither Asus ROG, Nubia Redmagic nor Lenovo Legion. So obviously, I would not expect anything great from BS 4.

I can't agree with this post. After researching MANY phones I've got to the conclusion that BS4 is outstanding for what it was designed for (gaming).

If you want to play Candy Crush, probably POCO X3 PRO is a better option. But if you want to go with Free Fire, PUBG Mobile or even Wild Rift or Arena of Valor, this phone is exquisite.

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone