Question Do NOT Convert from CN ROM to Global ROM (CN ROM Officially Supports Google Play Services)

Search This thread

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
For those who are planning to buy from Motorola China (CN ROM), do NOT convert to Global ROM! Do NOT buy from an online retailer where the phone has been converted to global ROM.

This is a warning to everyone if you don't want any headache in software support.

Reasons why you should NOT convert to Global ROM:

1. You can NEVER re-lock your bootloader - your phone will get BRICKED if you try to re-lock your bootloader.
2. You can NEVER update your software over-the-air. Do you want to own a phone with an update-less software? Yes, this is NOT possible as there will be an error message everytime you try to update your phone's software.
3. There will be a WARNING MESSAGE ("Your bootloader is unlocked.. etc") every time you restart your phone. Do you want this nasty message to ruin your phone's software?
4. Google Pay will detect your phone as tampered won't meet security requirements.
5. Streaming platforms and banking apps may not work once your phone is rooted.

Why do you NEED to update to Global ROM when in fact, CN ROM OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS Google Play Services.
1. Just go to Settings > System > Google Play Services
2. Toggle to ON and you can now install Play Store and use it to download your favorite Google Apps.

NO issues whatsoever. As simple as that.

Last edited:

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma
My device is converted and bl is locked. That's how it came to me, i have no idea :) It's not even unlocked right now :))

Updates are coming and installing, no problem.

BL locked & no warning message.

Even if this was not the case, i would like to convert the device again, because there is no language in CN rom, as far as i know, only CN and EN languages.
My country Turkey & my language Turkish

Your question is a little pointless. Not everyone has to know Chinese or English. For this reason, it may need this procedure, for example I👍🏻

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
My device is converted and bl is locked. That's how it came to me, i have no idea :) It's not even unlocked right now :))

Even if this was not the case, i would like to convert the device again, because there is no language in CN rom, as far as i know, only CN and EN languages.

Your question is a little pointless. Not everyone has to know Chinese or English. For this reason, it may need this procedure, for example I👍🏻
Read below :)
Pls don't spread false information that bl can be RE-LOCKED because Motorola modders know it will brick your phone :)

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma
Pls don't spread false information that bl can be RE-LOCKED because Motorola modders know it will brick your phone :)

Dude, i don't give information to "lock it". I wrote "It was sold to me like this, i received it like this" look there, read it well, don't be idle(y)

Killuminati91

Dec 12, 2012

I dont know if it can really brick your phone when you convert in a clean way and your device is recognized as the original.
But I put the warning there as a lot of people have bricked their devices before by not paying proper attention.

In theory it SHOULD be possible to relock, once you are on the original firmware but I strongly advise against it.
No idea how @cascade128 received a locked converted device though, seems to be possible.

I dont know why you are so radical against unlocking, of course it brings drawbacks but that was always the case since Samsung implemented efuses.
Also: Android Auto and Hey Google do not work on CN and there is a very limited language selection.

@cascade128: could you boot into fastboot / bootloader, create a "fastboot getvar all" dump and send it to me via PM?
I'd really like to take a look at this. Also: Does the Lenovo Rescue assistant recognize your device as xt2241-2?

Reactions: _Hinnie_

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma
I dont know if it can really brick your phone when you convert in a clean way and your device is recognized as the original.
But I put the warning there as a lot of people have bricked their devices before by not paying proper attention.

In theory it SHOULD be possible to relock, once you are on the original firmware but I strongly advise against it.
No idea how @cascade128 received a locked converted device though, seems to be possible.

I dont know why you are so radical against unlocking, of course it brings drawbacks but that was always the case since Samsung implemented efuses.
Also: Android Auto and Hey Google do not work on CN and there is a very limited language selection.

@cascade128: could you boot into fastboot / bootloader, create a "fastboot getvar all" dump and send it to me via PM?
I'd really like to take a look at this. Also: Does the Lenovo Rescue assistant recognize your device as xt2241-2?

I sent(y)

SedyBenoitPeace

Sep 16, 2012
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3
Well the fact to have a converted device with a locked bootloader it is good for modding!

I guess @cascade128 bought from a vendor that has maybe contacts in Motorola (or is someone from Motorola itself) that has access to stuff that we don't.

It is interesting though...cause I'm holding on on unlocking the bootloader (and then rooting) for warranty purposes and I don't how long I can wait :)
Cause now my "Unlock OEM" option isn't greyed out anymore :D

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma
I bought the device second hand and it was like this. I also get this error when i try to unlock BL.

Error:

(bootloader) Failed to get unlock data.
OKAY [ 0.026s]
Finished. Total time: 0.028s

Mobile phones imported in our country(Turkey) must be registered with a passport, paying tax (government tax $150). Conditions: Having entered/exited a country with this passport in the last 1 year and the sim card(s) to be used in the device belong to the passport holder. This device has to be used by this passport holder for 3 years. For this reason, the imei numbers of this device have also been changed. 2 imei numbers belong to an old Motorola brand device. Main question; how did he enable bootloader lock after doing these? I think what he's using is the software box. Otherwise, this operation is not possible! The guy who made it gave this information, paid $60.

My device:

(bootloader) kernel: uefi
(bootloader) version-bootloader: MBM-3.0-eqs-3d687e600d1-220914
(bootloader) product: eqs
(bootloader) board: eqs
(bootloader) secure: yes
(bootloader) lcs-state: SECURE_PROD_MODE
(bootloader) hwrev: PVT1C
(bootloader) radio: ROW
(bootloader) storage-type: UFS
(bootloader) emmc: N/A
(bootloader) ufs: 256GB SAMSUNG KLUEG4RHGB-B0E1 FV=0201 WB=2048
(bootloader) ram: 12GB SAMSUNG LP5 DIE=12Gb CH=4
(bootloader) cpu: SM_PALIMA 1.0
(bootloader) serialno: ***************
(bootloader) cid: 0x0000
(bootloader) channelid: 0x00
(bootloader) uid: 41E4067C001D90E1
(bootloader) token: inactive
(bootloader) securestate: oem_locked
(bootloader) factory-modes: allowed
(bootloader) verity-state: enforcing (0)
(bootloader) iswarrantyvoid: no
(bootloader) chipid: 0000043B41E4067C
(bootloader) max-download-size: 805306368
(bootloader) reason: Volume down key pressed
(bootloader) imei: ********************
(bootloader) imei2: ******************
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) date: 08-21-2022
(bootloader) sku: XT2241-1
(bootloader) carrier_sku: XT2241-1
(bootloader) battid: SB18D62340
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3975
(bootloader) iccid:
(bootloader) cust_md5:
(bootloader) max-sparse-size: 268435456
(bootloader) poweroffalarm: 0
(bootloader) ro.carrier: reteu
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[0]: motorola/eqs_ge/eqs:12/S3SQ32.16-5
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[1]: 3-9/d68d4-cb5c2:user/release-keys
(bootloader) ro.build.version.qcom[0]: AU_LINUX_ANDROID_LA.VENDOR.1.0.R1
(bootloader) ro.build.version.qcom[1]: .11.00.00.816.142
(bootloader) version-baseband[0]: M8475_DE10_240.2652.01.143.19R EQS_PVT
(bootloader) version-baseband[1]: 1C_ROWDSDS_CUST
(bootloader) kernel.version[0]: Linux version 5.10.101-android12-9-00001
(bootloader) kernel.version[1]: -g1b6eff567cae-ab8943976 ([email protected]
(bootloader) kernel.version[2]: ld-host) (Android (7284624, based on r41
(bootloader) kernel.version[3]: 6183b) clang version 12.0.5 (https://and
(bootloader) kernel.version[4]: roid.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm-pro
(bootloader) kernel.version[5]: ject c935d99d7cf2016289302412d708641d52d
(bootloader) kernel.version[6]: 2f7ee), LLD 12.0.5 (/buildbot/src/androi
(bootloader) kernel.version[7]: d/llvm-toolchain/out/llvm-project/lld c9
(bootloader) kernel.version[8]: 35d99d7cf2016289302412d708641d52d2f7ee))
(bootloader) kernel.version[9]: #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 13 08:16:31 UTC
(bootloader) kernel.version[10]: 2022
(bootloader) git:xbl_config: MBM-3.0-eqs-01b1dd0a1-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:xbl_ramdump: MBM-3.0-eqs-01b1dd0a1-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:uefi: MBM-3.0-eqs-01b1dd0a1-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:abl: MBM-3.0-eqs-3d687e600d1-220914
(bootloader) git:aop: MBM-3.0-eqs-abd531e6-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:aop_config: MBM-3.0-eqs-abd531e6-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:tz: MBM-3.0-eqs-896c99b46-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:hyp: MBM-3.0-eqs-896c99b46-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:devcfg: MBM-3.0-eqs-896c99b46-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:keymaster: MBM-3.0-eqs-1a8597eb-220914
(bootloader) git:storsec: MBM-3.0-eqs-1a8597eb-220914
(bootloader) git:uefisecapp: MBM-3.0-eqs-1a8597eb-220914
(bootloader) git:prov: MBM-3.0-eqs-896c99b46-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:qupfw: MBM-3.0-eqs-f3989a2-220914
(bootloader) git:cpucp: MBM-3.0-eqs-f3989a2-220914
(bootloader) git:shrm: MBM-3.0-eqs-01b1dd0a1-dirty-220914
(bootloader) git:spss: MBM-3.0-eqs-f3989a2-220914
(bootloader) frp-state: no protection (77)
(bootloader) current-slot: a
(bootloader) running-bl-slot: _a/_a
(bootloader) running-boot-lun: 1
(bootloader) slot-count: 2
(bootloader) slot-successful:_a: yes
(bootloader) slot-successful:_b: no
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:_a: no
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:_b: no
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:_a: 6
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:_b: 7
(bootloader) logical-block-size: 0x1000
(bootloader) erase-block-size: 0x1000
(bootloader) is-userspace: no
(bootloader) pcb-part-no: SB28D53290
(bootloader) snapshot-update-status: none
(bootloader) primary-display[0]: csot_nt37701A_667_curve_1080x2400_dsc_c
(bootloader) primary-display[1]: md_c4
(bootloader) secondary-display: none
(bootloader) fdr-allowed: yes
all: listed above
Finished. Total time: 0.126s

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010

Exactly. Did the person really received a converted and "locked" device?

Moto modders know too well this WILL brick your phone. It's a given fact already 🙂

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
Well the fact to have a converted device with a locked bootloader it is good for modding!

I guess @cascade128 bought from a vendor that has maybe contacts in Motorola (or is someone from Motorola itself) that has access to stuff that we don't.

It is interesting though...cause I'm holding on on unlocking the bootloader (and then rooting) for warranty purposes and I don't how long I can wait :)
Cause now my "Unlock OEM" option isn't greyed out anymore :D

I can say the same without any proof whatsoever. Unless... 😆

Killuminati91

Dec 12, 2012
Nope. Its possible to switch carrier info via fastboot command.
@cascade128: What happens when you try to get an unlock code from the official site with the ORIGINAL imei?

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_110211908.jpg
    IMG_20221024_110211908.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 206

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma
Nope. Its possible to switch carrier info via fastboot command.
@cascade128: What happens when you try to get an unlock code from the official site with the ORIGINAL imei?

You can't tell him, because that kid doesn't really know, but he has a lot of ideas/claims. He doesn't know anything. I guess that's enough for the last photo i sent to be silent :)

The original imei numbers of the device need to be rewritten. The person who will do it is in Istanbul, but i am not in Istanbul. I am in a far place. I will go at the first opportunity and write the original imei numbers and unlock the device there. Of course that will cost me another $60.

@SedyBenoitPeace I bought it second hand from one of the users, it was used for 1 week. He had these processes done by a software repairman in Istanbul, for 60$. No need to be surprised, our place is full of inventors :)

Reactions: foremang

SedyBenoitPeace

Sep 16, 2012
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 3
You can't tell him, because that kid doesn't really know, but he has a lot of ideas/claims. He doesn't know anything. I guess that's enough for the last photo i sent to be silent :)

The original imei numbers of the device need to be rewritten. The person who will do it is in Istanbul, but i am not in Istanbul. I am in a far place. I will go at the first opportunity and write the original imei numbers and unlock the device there. Of course that will cost me another $60.

@SedyBenoitPeace I bought it second hand from one of the users, it was used for 1 week. He had these processes done by a software repairman in Istanbul, for 60$. No need to be surprised, our place is full of inventors :)
Well thank you for the insight...for sure this Istanbul's guy is someone from Motorola or at least has some Motorola tools :D

Reactions: cascade128

cascade128

Dec 25, 2011
Bandırma
Well thank you for the insight...for sure this Istanbul's guy is someone from Motorola or at least has some Motorola tools :D

There are service boxes we call "Box", this friend is Turkish. It's not from Motorola, it's a software developer. I don't know exactly, but he's famous in his business. As i said, there are many such people here. There are some Syrians, even Iranians. They can solve insurmountable problems with the service equipment (different manufacturers) we call this "box", these works are quite famous in our country.

For example very famous this Box: https://sigmakey.com/

That these devices can "force flash" the event. In other words, they can flash firmware without the need for any unlock code or processing.

For example very famous again(update list / writing edge 30 ultra:):

Last edited:

FlyingMonkeyMen

May 14, 2018
For those who are planning to buy from Motorola China (CN ROM), do NOT convert to Global ROM! Do NOT buy from an online retailer where the phone has been converted to global ROM.

This is a warning to everyone if you don't want any headache in software support.

1. You can NEVER re-lock your bootloader - your phone will get BRICKED if you try to re-lock your bootloader.
2. You can NEVER update your software over-the-air. Do you want to own a phone with an update-less software? Yes, this is NOT possible as there will be an error message everytime you try to update your phone's software.
3. There will be a WARNING MESSAGE ("Your bootloader is unlocked.. etc") every time you restart your phone. Do you want this nasty message to ruin your phone's software?

Why do you NEED to update to Global ROM when in fact, CN ROM OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS Google Play Services.

Just go to Settings > System > Google Play Services

Toggle to ON and you can now install Play Store and use it to download your favorite Google Apps.

Does this work with all Google services? Such as Google pay, assistant and so on? Debating buying the phone on aliexpress as there's a sale.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't convert. Motorola's "ThinkShield" policy is stricter than any other OEMs. Once you unlock the bootloader, you can never re-lock.

You will also get a nasty "bootloader unlocked" message whenever you restart your device.

And lastly, you can never update your software over-the-air because of unlocked bootloader.

Wrong. Bootloader can be relocked without consequences (when done right) and OTAs work with unlocked bootloader.
    Don't convert. Motorola's "ThinkShield" policy is stricter than any other OEMs. Once you unlock the bootloader, you can never re-lock.

You will also get a nasty "bootloader unlocked" message whenever you restart your device.

And lastly, you can never update your software over-the-air because of unlocked bootloader.
    Hi, I know, but I like being able to install magiks roms by fastboot, etc. I'm already testing the Chinese stock version, much better than the retail one.

regards

Dude, i don't give information to "lock it". I wrote "It was sold to me like this, i received it like this" look there, read it well, don't be idle(y)

4. Google Pay will detect your phone as tampered won't meet security requirements.
    5. Streaming platforms and banking apps may not work once your phone is rooted.

1. Just go to Settings > System > Google Play Services
    2. Toggle to ON and you can now install Play Store and use it to download your favorite Google Apps.

Wrong. Bootloader can be relocked without consequences (when done right) and OTAs work with unlocked bootloader.

There are service boxes we call "Box", this friend is Turkish. It's not from Motorola, it's a software developer. I don't know exactly, but he's famous in his business. As i said, there are many such people here. There are some Syrians, even Iranians. They can solve insurmountable problems with the service equipment (different manufacturers) we call this "box", these works are quite famous in our country.

For example very famous this Box: https://sigmakey.com/

That these devices can "force flash" the event. In other words, they can flash firmware without the need for any unlock code or processing.

For example very famous again(update list / writing edge 30 ultra:):