Do not leave KingRoot installed after disabling Amazon Updates! FireTV will crash!

Search This thread

Ewle

Oct 23, 2010
If you leave KingRoot installed Kodi video playback will crash every 20-30 minutes randomly.

Root with KingRoot 4.8.1 and a Bluetooth Mouse DO NOT OPTIMIZE! Uninstall Purify within KingRoot then immediately disable Amazon updates and remove KingRoot via ADB shell like this:

su
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
ps
kill <PID # for com.kingroot.kinguser:service>
kill <PID # for /data/data-lib/com.kingroot.kinguser/ktools>
pm disable com.kingroot.kinguser
pm uninstall com.kingroot.kinguser

Root will be gone but Amazon updates are off so you can always reroot anytime you desire. Removing KingRoot does fix the random crashing issue during playback.

mezdev

Sep 16, 2014
That is pretty strange. Just another reason why Kingroot is sketchy.
I'll say this again again! not happening to everyone so don't say do THIS just because it happens to you..... Question why.
I am not saying its not true for you but there seems to be more to it ,ok for me and probably a lot more and not for others.
The last point ... if you are not sure what you are doing with any alteration to any piece of equipement .................... research first.;)

Ewle

Oct 23, 2010
I would suggest to change the topic title to match the fact that kodi might crash, but not the fire tv.
Also: i still have kinguser enabled and installed (not purify) on my ftv1 and kodi did not crash on me.

It causes issues streaming with Netflix too. Not sure what Kingroot is doing every 30 minutes but it causes video playback to stop.

It's best to just uninstall it after disabling Amazon updates via root.

Hopefully we'll get a bootloader and image to flash SuperSU soon...

Last edited:
I've almost got a heart attack when I saw the topic because "fire tv crashes" sounded to me like kingroot bricks the device.
Yes, disabling it is the best option, why kodi and netflicks crash (did you have the crashes while streaming with kodi?) could be, because kingroot likes to phone home a lot. So maybe blocking all the urls via router or in the host file already does the trick.

For the urls to block see this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general/block-ip-address-kingroot-updates-t3332267

mattvirus

May 21, 2012
Has anyone looked through the kodi logs to see what exactly is crashing? I wouldn't call it random crashing if we generally know (think?) kingroot is responsible. Good work determining that removing kingroot makes the crashes go away, but i wonder what the core issue really is.

All my AFTV's are gen1 and were rooted, otherwise I would dig into this issue. Maybe I will get a FTV stick and kingroot it so i can figure out. Anybody put kodi in debug mode and captured the whole log? Got a pastebin of it?

xenyz

Oct 30, 2010
I bet it'd be the Low Memory Killer. Kingroot probably runs some activity (Updates? Something else? Who knows!) on an alarm and becomes the foreground app, LMK kills Kodi for more free memory.

Doesn't FireOS 5 have logcat?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
Just to say that probably best not to remove Kingroot given the recent news that the latest AFTV update to version 5.0.5.1 cannot be rooted by Kingroot. With Kingroot updates can be blocked.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Free mobile app

-BoneZ-

Oct 24, 2009
Indiana
Kingroot has not caused my Netflix to stop or crash. Seems like something else is causing the issue.

*EDIT* I have Amazon updates blocked through my router.

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Just to say that probably best not to remove Kingroot given the recent news that the latest AFTV update to version 5.0.5.1 cannot be rooted by Kingroot. With Kingroot updates can be blocked.

Yes, and the disabled state of the update service remains after removing kingroot.

I've seen a number of folks with this issue. I have it often when playing files over the network and I've also seen it when playing TV from my HDHomerun device.

Kodi doesn't crash for me, but video playback halts at seemingly random times.

I hope this technique works for me.

And indeed, getting rid of kingroot
- got rid of the random halt of video playback
- left the Amazon update service inoperable (yes, I tested it, ready to pull power if an update was found.)

This is a gen 1 FTV box, playing video in Kodi 16 via SMB shares and with the HD Homerun dtv tuner - both Kodi and HDH were stopping abruptly for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

MetaIIica

Aug 30, 2012
Saarbrücken
i have a small solution to fix the streamcrash issue with kodi with installed KingRoot

do following
unroot and root with KingoRoot 4.1
Start AKGfire and uninstall purify
make a backup of your Kodi Config
Uninstall Kodi and delete all folder called org.xbmc.kodi in /sdcard/Android (found it in data and obb)
reboot Stick
connect to AKGfire again and download andinstall Kodi 16.1 again
AWARE: do not start Kodi
Restore your Kodi data
reboot

then you can run kodi as normal.

start a Stream and enjoy feel happy

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you leave KingRoot installed Kodi video playback will crash every 20-30 minutes randomly.

Root with KingRoot 4.8.1 and a Bluetooth Mouse DO NOT OPTIMIZE! Uninstall Purify within KingRoot then immediately disable Amazon updates and remove KingRoot via ADB shell like this:

su
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
    ps
    kill <PID # for com.kingroot.kinguser:service>
    kill <PID # for /data/data-lib/com.kingroot.kinguser/ktools>
    pm disable com.kingroot.kinguser
    pm uninstall com.kingroot.kinguser

Root will be gone but Amazon updates are off so you can always reroot anytime you desire. Removing KingRoot does fix the random crashing issue during playback.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone