DO NOT UPDATE FROM APGC TO API4... (If you want root...)

Search This thread

TEKHD

Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Scout
Tested right before replacing my N7 (v1)...

After upgrading to latest API4 "Green Battery" Update...

Confirmed:

- Unable to Odin Sprint "Root" Firmware...
- Unable to downgrade to APGC...

Result...

No root & stuck with API4... (Not bricked)

so... in other words... IF you want root... stay with APGC and simply wait for an API4 ROM... (with APGC bootloader)

Get the new phone... and DO NOT update...

Last edited:

black96ss

Dec 28, 2012
Soon as my v2 comes in, I'm downloading the package disabler app first and blocking updates

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

I'm not losing my only chance at root with this phone.. why would they revert back to the jelly bean battery color...like wtf

Reactions: TEKHD

t0dbld

Mar 21, 2010
Michigan
OP care to explain how you updated to the V2 update on a V1 device ? e

MOD EDIT:
Please do not quote the whole OP when posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chr0nicDreamz

Nov 7, 2008
Yep, mine installed right out of the box. what a bunch of a-holes. wifes did the same thing, no root now :( welp, perhaps its time to return it and buy a different phone. this is retarded.

Reactions: ArioK13

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Saw someone mention it, and will try the same, but boot without sim card and wifif then disable the update app.....root then add sim.
Hopefully that will work cause I need my root. Dammit Samsung how dare you "burn" us again !!!

Reactions: EasyE75

Boomiez

Oct 27, 2014
Well... I just updated to API4 intentionally, to try out the new update on my v1 device. I gotta say it's much more snappier now and lag is completely gone after it fully boots everything. But it's still not worth losing root over. So I'm either gonna get a refund or buy the international version, better yet might just say goodbye to sammy all together.

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
I don't know why anyone is still surprised about non-Nexus devices being locked down. Sure, a device might get root access, but it's the OEMs job to fix it in future builds because it's an exploit that needs to be fixed.

ce3jay

Sep 19, 2009
the update ran as soon as it connected to their wifi network to set up the phone. crap, can't root now.

shojus

Jan 9, 2008
GRap
My update downloaded but I disabled, anyone know where the update file is? What folder? I can't find it.
Same here, it downloads on its own but it can be postponed up to 3 times before it automatically installs the update, so what do I have to disable so the update won't install, or where can i find the update and delete that sob? Any info would be much appreciated as I don't have access to a computer to root or have the time at this very moment.

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

My update downloaded but I disabled, anyone know where the update file is? What folder? I can't find it.
What exactly did u disable?

black96ss

Dec 28, 2012
You can go into settings and turn off auto updates, or download package disabler from the play store and disable the 2 software updates lines. I still have a v1 phone and no update here because of that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tested right before replacing my N7 (v1)...

After upgrading to latest API4 "Green Battery" Update...

Confirmed:

- Unable to Odin Sprint "Root" Firmware...
    - Unable to downgrade to APGC...

Result...

No root & stuck with API4... (Not bricked)

so... in other words... IF you want root... stay with APGC and simply wait for an API4 ROM... (with APGC bootloader)

Get the new phone... and DO NOT update...
    Well... I just updated to API4 intentionally, to try out the new update on my v1 device. I gotta say it's much more snappier now and lag is completely gone after it fully boots everything. But it's still not worth losing root over. So I'm either gonna get a refund or buy the international version, better yet might just say goodbye to sammy all together.
    Do a factory reset without your Sim and WiFi, don't log into any of your accounts through set up wizard, pop Sim in, go to play store and quickly get package disabler, freeze both software updates. Then you'll be good.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I popped my SIM in and immediately signed in to the Play Store, But by the Package Disabler Pro time installed and activated, the damn Update download had started. I paused it and disabled the Update Packages, but still left with the notification.

Found a workaround: Convert your Package Disabler Pro app from the Play Store into a sideloadable .apk

1. Go to Play Store and install Astro File Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro
    2. Under the Tools tab,select App Manager. Find Package Disabler Pro. Backup.
    3.There will now be a folder on your devices labeled "backups". Open the folder, open the "apps" folder within. You will see com.ospolicepackagedisablerpro.apk , copy this to your external SD Card.
    4. Factory Reset (I know, it sucks) and remove your SIM card, but leave your SD card in.
    5. Blow through Set Up wizard without signing in to Wi-Fi or any accounts.
    6. Enable Unknown Sources in Lock Screen and Security Settings
    7. Use the pre-installed Samsung File Manager to navigate to your SD Card where you put the .apk
    8. Install, open, grant administrator, NOW sign in to Wi-Fi to activate the app. Still NO SIM CARD.
    9. Once activated, search "update" and you'll see 2 entries. Disable both .
    10. NOW pop in your SIM and sign in to your accounts. Profit.

I'm sure there are simpler ways, but this is what worked for me. Cheers!
    i can confirm do not update your v2 note 7 to the new firmware. you cannot downgrade and they have blocked the sprint userdebug firmware from even flashing.
    if you want to keep root. don't do it.
    It's really difficult because this update fixed countless issues I was having with lag, faster fingerprint, etc. However, I really loved root.... So sad :crying:

I'm going to keep root for now, hopefully someone puts out a safe flashable update. I know this is stupid but I'm kinda pissed about the green battery icon again. I know why they did it and understand but its so ugly and doesnt jive. I hated it on JB and I hate it now.