• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Do not want to turn in note 7 for security issues/ how to destroy note 7

Search This thread

unholydoragon

Jul 24, 2008
Our fingerprints and irises are stored on this device. Anyone coming out with a guide to remove the nansd or somehow wipe the entire device? Not sure if i can trust the factory reset option

Another thing to consider is destroying the home button so that our finger prints can't be read off of it.

I know Samsung has this information already, but t mobile doesn't and if this gets sent to the battery manufacturer directly, then it gets even more muddled

d.cortez

Dec 30, 2005
north texas
Our fingerprints and irises are stored on this device. Anyone coming out with a guide to remove the nansd or somehow wipe the entire device? Not sure if i can trust the factory reset option

Another thing to consider is destroying the home button so that our finger prints can't be read off of it.

I know Samsung has this information already, but t mobile doesn't and if this gets sent to the battery manufacturer directly, then it gets even more muddled
just factory reset the device and be done with it... move on...

Belimawr

Aug 26, 2016
short of removing the memory chips you have no way to destroy the data without spending a long time writing and deleting the entire memory until the data from the fingerprints and etcetera are buried that deep they are near impossible to recover.

but if you are scared of your fingerprints getting out you better not touch the box, anything inside the box and find a way totally remove every last fingerprint from the phone. also better not touch the doors to open them or use the pen to sign anything or throw out a can/bottle after having a drink.

funny when people complain about stuff like fingerprints when they leave them all over the world every time they leave the house, the thing you just have to realise is your not that important people care.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Format from recovery, this will make it impossible to recover data without special knowledge and tools which should be good enough for most people. About ten minutes and you're done.

rcobourn

Feb 12, 2009
That's ridiculous. Nobody is going to go through the phones coming back and try to recover that information. Delete your fingerprint and iris data, encrypt the phone's data, factory reset, and send it back. If that isn't good enough for you, you should already be wearing a tin foil hat.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Belimawr

Aug 26, 2016
That's ridiculous. Nobody is going to go through the phones coming back and try to recover that information. Delete your fingerprint and iris data, encrypt the phone's data, factory reset, and send it back. If that isn't good enough for you, you should already be wearing a tin foil hat.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

my tinfoil hat is a bowler, it goes with my tinfoil suit and monocle and I must say it looks rather dashing old chap.

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
tumblr_mueljtBNZ51rhuj37o1_1280.jpg
my tinfoil hat is a bowler, it goes with my tinfoil suit and monocle and I must say it looks rather dashing old chap.

travisw0204

Mar 1, 2008

Wipe the device using Factory Reset in Recovery. This will insure that the phone is wiped completely clean. Wipe it like 3 times and you're good.

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
they can get more usable finger prints off the box, and more usable iris details off Facebook.

your phone doesn't contain an exact image of your fingerprints or iris, it contains only details of key points.
that way the data can never be used to recover your entire fingerprint or iris, only to check whether an iris/fingerprint looks like yours.

on top of that, what motivation could they possibly have for recovering such data?
they're an electronics manufacturer, not law enforcement or identity thieves.
when they receive your phone they'll just run another reset, check it for defects, and send it to some other guy who then overwrites whatever fragments remaining of your iris/fingerprint maps with his own.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seems to me all you need to do is.....plug it in. The problem should take care of itself.
    short of removing the memory chips you have no way to destroy the data without spending a long time writing and deleting the entire memory until the data from the fingerprints and etcetera are buried that deep they are near impossible to recover.

but if you are scared of your fingerprints getting out you better not touch the box, anything inside the box and find a way totally remove every last fingerprint from the phone. also better not touch the doors to open them or use the pen to sign anything or throw out a can/bottle after having a drink.

funny when people complain about stuff like fingerprints when they leave them all over the world every time they leave the house, the thing you just have to realise is your not that important people care.
    Take off the tinfoil hat.

You are not special.

Factory reset and move on with your day....
    Just give it to Clinton, she will handle it.