Do notifications work with screen off or not?

Search This thread

terryYew

May 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Hi all. In this Video the reviewer states that he isn't getting any notifications with the screen off. Also it is a problem for one of our members. Is anyone else having these hassles? Do you get incoming text, email AUDIO notifications without waking the phone? :confused:

Last edited:

abunhyan

Jan 15, 2007
Hi

I have no issue with notification at all..

Even when screen is off ..
U do have to active notification from each app setting and alow all permissins...

Also keep in maind to keep app running remove battery restriction from app setting also..

All will work normal

ToneLa

Nov 7, 2013
Working for me but I did need to grant WhatsApp and Trurcaller lots of permissions.

I even got True Edge installed for a visual way to get notified and that works brilliantly with the device asleep with screen off.

I was a bit surprised at the extra level of permissions needed. It's all gravy now, but I could see why a reviewer or somebody unaware would get caught out

But yes, I am getting notifications with the screen off in sound and visually, without having to wake the phone.

Last edited:

danitaro

Oct 15, 2007
Brussels
Indeed at first I wasn't getting any notifications but then I discovered you need to go into the app info and give permission for notifications and turn off battery saver.. now it works perfect and only for the apps I want

Burginthorn

Oct 29, 2012
The video the OP posted is exactly whats happening to me. I have all the settings as described. Battery saver turned off and even when into each apps settings and allowed ALL permissions just to see if it would work. As the video says, notifications come, but you have to wake the device to see them, there is no sound or anything on screen until the device is woke. Exactly as the video describes. I do hope its fixed soon, I am back to using my Note 5 whilst my beautiful 10 Ultra sits in its box.

ToneLa

Nov 7, 2013
The video the OP posted is exactly whats happening to me. I have all the settings as described. Battery saver turned off and even when into each apps settings and allowed ALL permissions just to see if it would work. As the video says, notifications come, but you have to wake the device to see them, there is no sound or anything on screen until the device is woke. Exactly as the video describes. I do hope its fixed soon, I am back to using my Note 5 whilst my beautiful 10 Ultra sits in its box.

Have you undone your earlier modifications to the phone (copying files from phone to phone etc)?

You have two problems and the one to ignore for now is louder notifications. It's notifications at all.

It isn't something to fix from Xiaomi's view and it is always worth learning the software. I don't like it myself... It can be cloying etc.

But the default behaviour is to opt in to notifications. It's working as intended. That said look where we are, it's just your problems are a special case. No biggie, let's fix this!

You have an outstanding issue clouding this where you are trying to use unexplained files on the device (like seriously what format are they? Does it work in Music or anything? Have you tried removing them?)

Last edited:

Sathelp

Nov 27, 2007
Brean, Somerset
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Took a while but I get all my notifications now when screen is off, see 2vattached screen shots

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_114334.jpg
    IMG_20200830_114334.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20200830_135217.jpg
    IMG_20200830_135217.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 164

terryYew

May 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks all for answering my question! I think this is my last question before buying from Liaow.com, if the syncing isn't a constant problem. Does anyone have a major syncing problem as explained in this review? Once or twice a day I can deal with. I check the calendar throughout the day like most people. However if I get busy and forget, missing calendar events/alarms wouldn't work for me. I'd be forced to use my work iPhone<shudder> for calendar events lol.

martashao

Nov 24, 2020
Solution!

Here is the thing that helped me with the same notification issue! Just google "xiaomi mi 10 ultra notifications" and in the top 5 links you'll probably find an article from: theunpopulartraveller. It explains the settings, and they need to be accessed by pressing and holding the app icon ^ app info.
Don't give up, try and you'll get the sounds from needed apps back. And ye, actually now I find the way Xiaomi did it much more convenient: I just turned on notifications for 2 apps, and all the rest are silent, while previously I had to turn off all the rest of the apps (much more than 2, definitely) not to get disturbed by all the bullshit.

AerationCheese

Sep 3, 2020
Well after trying to update to 12.1.1 and seeing what a buggy heap of junk it was, I factory reset, installed 12.0.15, and formatted data. But now notifications don't work when the screen is off whatsoever, absolutely no notifications. Beautiful. I'm so sick of the software issues with this phone, I'm definitely never buying another Xiaomi phone at this point.

otonieru

• May 7, 2011
    Djakarta
    Well after trying to update to 12.1.1 and seeing what a buggy heap of junk it was, I factory reset, installed 12.0.15, and formatted data. But now notifications don't work when the screen is off whatsoever, absolutely no notifications. Beautiful. I'm so sick of the software issues with this phone, I'm definitely never buying another Xiaomi phone at this point.

Disable adaptive notifications from setting. I dont know what google thinking when creating such feature.

it basically interrupt the whole notification process. Using so called Ai to decide, when to give you notifications or when not to. But most of the time it pick wrong decision and delay our notification altogether.

This is android feature since Q thus also causing problem on Pixel phone. On xiaomi seems like it suddenly got worse on Android 11

Last edited:

phibersg

Mar 16, 2016
    How did u manage to roll back to 12.0.15?

Sathelp

Nov 27, 2007
    Brean, Somerset
    Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
    Get over to the EU ROM version. Lock screen notifications work fine.
    Have you checked each notification that it has no battery optimisation set, also, check in notifications that each one has access to the lock screen. Since A11, notifications have been a pain but for some reason they do work much better on the EU ROM.

phibersg

Mar 16, 2016
    Get over to the EU ROM version. Lock screen notifications work fine.
    Have you checked each notification that it has no battery optimisation set, also, check in notifications that each one has access to the lock screen. Since A11, notifications have been a pain but for some reason they do work much better on the EU ROM.
    There are issues for Gpay and some banking / local safetynet apps for EU ROM which i do not wish to live with.
    Somehow the props file in the eu rom causes those issues.

i am probably going to rollback to 12.0.15... now is the excruciating 160 hours wait for unlock.

phibersg

Mar 16, 2016
    You obviously don't follow the EU forums. GPay works, safeynet works and my UK bank works. But you also get everything plus more than the Chinese stock and all updates are based on both weekly and stable stock ROMs respectively.
    i don't follow it to the tee, but i've seen some reports of some users not able to use gpay out of the stable roms.
    that's why.. too much trouble.. i'll see what i can do when the unlock timer is up..

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone