Do OnePlus Phones Updates Require WiFi?

Dark_Stoner

Sep 12, 2019
Hello, I would like to know if OnePlus phones get their updates via LTE or do they require WiFi?

I'm in a situation where I don't have access to WiFi and my current phone, S20fe, requires WiFi for updates,

Thanks in advance.

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
Hello, I would like to know if OnePlus phones get their updates via LTE or do they require WiFi?

I'm in a situation where I don't have access to WiFi and my current phone, S20fe, requires WiFi for updates,

Thanks in advance.
I think they will work without wifi, but you have to manually start the download yourself (it will not auto download, just tell you that an update is available). Not entirely sure about that though. If not you can always use the oxygen updater app (not official oneplus app!) to download the update over LTE and install it with the local upgrade option.

Dark_Stoner

Sep 12, 2019
I think they will work without wifi, but you have to manually start the download yourself (it will not auto download, just tell you that an update is available). Not entirely sure about that though. If not you can always use the oxygen updater app (not official oneplus app!) to download the update over LTE and install it with the local upgrade option.
Thnx so much for taking the time to provide me with the info.

I hope the 9Pro is half decent because it sounds promising,

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
The 8T does not require WIFI to update...at least mine doesn't! I had the S20FE for awhile and it did not require WIFI either...I wonder why yours does? I also had the S10E and it DID need WIFI which was one of the reasons I dumped it! Personally I think it is NOT dependent on the phone, but rather on your wireless provider along with the particular phone.

Dark_Stoner

Sep 12, 2019
The 8T does not require WIFI to update...at least mine doesn't! I had the S20FE for awhile and it did not require WIFI either...I wonder why yours does? I also had the S10E and it DID need WIFI which was one of the reasons I dumped it! Personally I think it is NOT dependent on the phone, but rather on your wireless provider along with the particular phone.
Can I ask you what carrier you are currently using? I have Verizon Wireless but I don't know if the update has to come from them or directly from Samsung? Either way I'm looking forward to getting off the Samsung hype train because I really don't like One UI.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Can I ask you what carrier you are currently using? I have Verizon Wireless but I don't know if the update has to come from them or directly from Samsung? Either way I'm looking forward to getting off the Samsung hype train because I really don't like One UI.
I am currently using AT&T.

Dark_Stoner

Sep 12, 2019
I am currently using AT&T.
I think I'm being punished by VZW because I got a grand daddy SIM.Ii had used 140GB last month but I only paid 30$ a month, plus activation and BS fees.

CS told me "You don't have a data plan." So I replied, "So if I got one, I'd get the update? They said no, you need WiFi.