Do these comanies really think we like their interfaces (sense, touchwiz and so on)?

Search This thread

KayxGee1

Jul 28, 2011
Totowa
I know most of us here on xda hate overlays like Sense and Touch-Wiz. You have to understand the business standpoint though. Manufacturers need something to set them apart and make them recognizable to the consumer. When someone sees Sense, they think HTC, Touch-Wiz, Samsung. Us tech-savy users know the other, cleaner, faster side to android. Normal consumers just see nice graphics which seems to make the sale.

benyben123

Sep 22, 2010
True dat. I wonder why HTC is locking their bootloaders when other phone manufacturers like Sammy and SE are doing right now. Even Moto is going to unlock their bootloaders too.

Because some 60 year old CEO THINK they know what they are doing, but fail to realize that the DEV section in XDA forums is the biggest prize they can win. Instead of realizing they should SUPPORT this community, these dinosaurs of CEO's (that know what a catheter is but if you'll tell them the word ROM they think you are talking about an alcoholic drink) don't have a clue about what goes.

HOW MANY OF US HERE will NOT chose a device if it doesn't have a good DEV section here at XDA? I know the first thing I check before I buy a phone is the DEV section and if the phone is loved by the community.

I say fire them all and let us throw out the window every CEO that is over 30 years old!!!

Imagine the dudes from CM running Samsung ;)
Now that will be a PHONE WORTH HAVING!!!!

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
Because some 60 year old CEO THINK they know what they are doing, but fail to realize that the DEV section in XDA forums is the biggest prize they can win. Instead of realizing they should SUPPORT this community, these dinosaurs of CEO's (that know what a catheter is but if you'll tell them the word ROM they think you are talking about an alcoholic drink) don't have a clue about what goes.

HOW MANY OF US HERE will NOT chose a device if it doesn't have a good DEV section here at XDA? I know the first thing I check before I buy a phone is the DEV section and if the phone is loved by the community.

I say fire them all and let us throw out the window every CEO that is over 30 years old!!!

One reason I prefer Samsung to HTC. HTC has gotten disingenuous over the last year. They want us to think they care and have stated they care enough to do things to suit us, but it is just subterfuge. I will only consider a Samsung now...or actually mostly anything other than HTC. But not LG.

Kailkti

Apr 7, 2010
Kingston

Not every 30 year old is some genius or really smart, and frankly if they are, they'd best be focusing in engineering and innovation rather than petty things of only monetary value. The next best thing they can get is someone with experience, and someone that is 30 and has that kind of experience is rare.

And really, aren't us dev and hacking community only a small minority? Can't they make do without us? What are we, like a 1/75 of their growing income? They are in this for the money, not for the overall better, like every company.

But it would be nice if they simply put out phones that had unlocked bootloaders.

KayxGee1

Jul 28, 2011
Totowa
Not every 30 year old is some genius or really smart, and frankly if they are, they'd best be focusing in engineering and innovation rather than petty things of only monetary value. The next best thing they can get is someone with experience, and someone that is 30 and has that kind of experience is rare.

And really, aren't us dev and hacking community only a small minority? Can't they make do without us? What are we, like a 1/75 of their growing income? They are in this for the money, not for the overall better, like every company.

But it would be nice if they simply put out phones that had unlocked bootloaders.

Agreed. Check and mate. ;):D

Arhum1994

Nov 25, 2011
these manufactures should have started their UI from scratch just like google did with ICS.This would have been much awesomer.
But sadly they didnt.Greedy Manufacturers..pfft:mad:

cataldi1122

May 13, 2011
Im running febs creamed glacier rom for Mytouch 4g, this ics is awesome i love it just the way it is . im sure it wont be the same when it officially releases which really does suck.

eckounltd

Aug 8, 2011
ASOP and Vannila roms seem to run much better for battery life compared to sense froyo etc . ICS on the other hand is a whole new ballpark, so for carriers to put their own UI i hope they will build from scratch

Skv012a

Jun 19, 2008
MD
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Keep in mind that they all need to stand out in some way or another, hence the unique GUIs. This has nothing to do with US liking or disliking them. Lets just give them some credit for not making GUIs utter crap.

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
ASOP and Vannila roms seem to run much better for battery life compared to sense froyo etc . ICS on the other hand is a whole new ballpark, so for carriers to put their own UI i hope they will build from scratch

Their UI is built from scratch. It is designed and developed by the manufacturers. What you are saying here is you want a whole new OS made by the manufacturers. That would never work, and would take years to develop and implement. Or they could just build the overlay into the OS. That could be good...but if you think updates take a long time to get now, just imagine how long they would take then.

Cyanide99

Dec 21, 2011
I understand why the manufactorers are putting the UI's on Android, and for the most part I can't fault it, Touchwiz on the S2 was nice, Sense on my old Wildfire was actually quite good too. For the vast majority of users it does split it apart, when I got my S2 using Android was a slightly different experience due to the differences between touchwiz and Sense, and besides the size of the screen (And the hardware), for the average user, without the custom UI's nothing would have set them apart.

But after using ICS vanilla, and then seeing that samsung put touchwiz over the top of it, the vanilla ICS is a beautiful thing, and whilst I do like touchwiz, if I had a choice, I'd prefer not to have it, ICS is just that nice looking.

don728871

Dec 22, 2011
y is it soo bad?

They are putting so much effort into these new interfaces - now all redone for ICS. And you look at these new interfaces and you say to yourself - WHY?!
Take Samsung's new TW for ICS. Why oh why would they take anything that is so fresh and new and put the same old TW - making the phone look like it's old before it even came out?
Now HTC are doing the same.

They are all missing out on the fact that users would rather just have it 'the way it is". This is the reason XDA is so full with people changing the roms, and so on.
Don't you people get it by now because it easy cheap and old, being that its old it mostly stable and must likely more using friendly. like the iPhone/iPod it uses the same piece of dirt over and add new dirt to make it grow again:rolleyes:

DarkEther

Dec 19, 2011
Glasgow(ish)
I personally hate Sense but i understand why the companies do it, its a bramding of the phone to identify it with their company.

Having said that i think there should be an option within the recovery to load the phone with or without the HTC Sense bloatware.

sooyong94

Dec 25, 2010
Malaysia
I personally hate Sense but i understand why the companies do it, its a bramding of the phone to identify it with their company.

Having said that i think there should be an option within the recovery to load the phone with or without the HTC Sense bloatware.

Well, the average Joe don't give a damn about what manufacturer skins and Android versions on their phones.... As long as they work with apps properly, they don't complain about skins or updates. I think what the manufacturers do is to differentiate their devices each other. However, there's something which can solve all this.... Flash a custom ROM. More experienced users can just root the phone and flash an AOSP ROM. Problem Solved.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They are putting so much effort into these new interfaces - now all redone for ICS. And you look at these new interfaces and you say to yourself - WHY?!
    Take Samsung's new TW for ICS. Why oh why would they take anything that is so fresh and new and put the same old TW - making the phone look like it's old before it even came out?
    Now HTC are doing the same.

They are all missing out on the fact that users would rather just have it 'the way it is". This is the reason XDA is so full with people changing the roms, and so on.
    That is sad. I've had opportunity to play with vanilla ICS on my HD2 and love it so much I was hoping HTC wouldn't mess it up with Sense or the same old thing. I have an Inspire waiting for the update and want vanilla ICS...or something resembling it. I guess rooting will have to be an option to get what it should have.