Question Does anyone else think THEIR S22 Ultra is a really bad phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

CConn882

Apr 3, 2015
I don't mean this to be as incendiary as the title might suggest, but I bought a S22U last week and was shocked by just how starkly different my experience with it was compared to all of the reviews.

Like the screen and camera are nice, sure, and it charges relatively fast...but the UI is slow and stuttery. Even when it's technically not stuttering, it still feels way more jerky and abrupt than phones like the Pixel, OnePlus, and the iPhone.

The battery life has also not been good at all. It's far worse than the S21U, and accubattery is saying I should only get 6.5 hours of SOT vs. the Pixel's 7 hours (for the Pro) and 7.5 hours (for the standard 6). If I recall, accubattery clocked the S21U at like 8 or 9 hours.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this phone?

SloPoke23

Jan 13, 2019
I don't mean this to be as incendiary as the title might suggest, but I bought a S22U last week and was shocked by just how starkly different my experience with it was compared to all of the reviews.

Like the screen and camera are nice, sure, and it charges relatively fast...but the UI is slow and stuttery. Even when it's technically not stuttering, it still feels way more jerky and abrupt than phones like the Pixel, OnePlus, and the iPhone.

The battery life has also not been good at all. It's far worse than the S21U, and accubattery is saying I should only get 6.5 hours of SOT vs. the Pixel's 7 hours (for the Pro) and 7.5 hours (for the standard 6). If I recall, accubattery clocked the S21U at like 8 or 9 hours.

Battery life could be better, but if your UI is slow and stuttery it usually means some background task is running at high priority constantly. That would also explain your terrible battery life.

CConn882

Apr 3, 2015
Battery life could be better, but if your UI is slow and stuttery it usually means some background task is running at high priority constantly. That would also explain your terrible battery life.
Oh trust me, I checked all of that, and set practically everything to not run in the background.

I've also had the S21U before and didn't have that issue (despite not even bothering to change the background allowances).

CConn882

Apr 3, 2015
Something else that's really strange to me;

I bought a Tab S8 too. Same processor, same RAM as the Ultra, and I've had no issues with the UI. It's great. Completely fluid and smooth.

gabeeg

Aug 27, 2010

Battery life is nothing to write home about...but for my uses it lasts me a the whole day not a problem...but not much more than that. As for the slowness, jerkiness and stuttering, I do not experience that and I have mine set to wqhd+ mode. Performance is one thing I have been very happy with (I have the 12GB/512GB version).

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Call the S22 Ultra bad, disappointing or whatever adjectives fit. Bottom line it has more reported defects than any Samsung device in many years. If you're happy good for you but as we can see many users aren't thrilled with the performance this very expensive device. It is what it is.
While I tend to agree, do you have any sources for that tidbit? So I can use it in the future :)

Reactions: hthiengo

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google Pixel 6a
S21 Ultra has come a long way in terms of updates/bug fixes and I strongly feel S22 Ultra needs major updates to be on par with S21 Ultra as far as as UI/smoothness is concerned.
Unless both S21U and S22U are used side by side(with latest firmwares installed), probably one will not be able to feel the difference and might end up saying "no UI/lag issues with S22 Ultra".
As for batterylife, I did several tests using same mobile operators, on same location, over same Wi-Fi network - on similar settings+usage pattern(mostly) and the batterylife of S22 Ultra(Snapdragon) turned out to be way less than S21 Ultra(Exynos). Going further, I did factory reset both, waited for over a week to settle down and ended up having the same experience.

The overall experience with 22U isn't the best yet considering its potential and I hope to see a lot of these issues getting fixed through future updates.

Attachments

• S21 Ultra(Exynos).jpg
    S21 Ultra(Exynos).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 556
  • S22 Ultra(Snapdragon).jpg
    S22 Ultra(Snapdragon).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 557

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
S21 Ultra has come a long way in terms of updates/bug fixes and I strongly feel S22 Ultra needs major updates to be on par with S21 Ultra as far as as UI/smoothness is concerned.
Unless both S21U and S22U are used side by side(with latest firmwares installed), probably one will not be able to feel the difference and might end up saying "no UI/lag issues with S22 Ultra".
As for batterylife, I did several tests using same mobile operators, on same location, over same Wi-Fi network - on similar settings+usage pattern(mostly) and the batterylife of S22 Ultra(Snapdragon) turned out to be way less than S21 Ultra(Exynos). Going further, I did factory reset both, waited for over a week to settle down and ended up having the same experience.

The overall experience with 22U isn't the best yet considering its potential and I hope to see a lot of these issues getting fixed through future updates.
The s21u (Exynos) wasn't great when I first got it after release. It really improved with the big update it got last August which was supposed to be OneUI 3.1 but wasn't actually called that. I'm hoping the S22u gets a similar update this year. The April update improved the S22u (Exynos) for me but I think it still has a way to go before is can really be called "flagship".

Iceman_CZ

Nov 22, 2008
S22 Ultra EXYNOS 512/12GB is the worst Samsung's flagship what I owned and I almost had all of them from S series before.
So poor UI and lagging performance I really starting to hate it. Battery performance I have to charge twice during working day! I'm not a mobile gamer at all. Hopefully Samsung will finally fix it with May update as already delayed as too many problems overall with crappy Exynos this year. On top of it 45W charging it is a joke 😡

_GRIZZLY_

Jul 2, 2013
For better experience i suggest change animation length from x1 for 0,5 in developer option. I do it in every samsung device and i feel a lot of better running UI than before.
But i agree with above users that S22U still need updates for better running.
Comparing side by side my Fold 2 (yes android 11 is the best opton for fold, most stable and fast) to S22U.
Fold 2 with snapdragon 865+ is noticeably faster in opening for example default apps like phone dialer, messages, web browser etc and scrolling same webs fold 2 is smoother than S22U.
At this moment in my opinion S22U is only little better in day performance from Note 20U Exynos but skipping battery life which is a lot of better than Note.
But overall i like my S22U like previous Note series except Note 20 U :)

Last edited:

gav83collins

as _grizzly_ stated, ive not had animations turned on since they were first implemented back in gb days, not only does it save battery it makes the ui faster, we dont need it to look fancy switching between screens, we need it to do it quickly, that wont be a fix to all your issues but all journeys start with a single step

Reactions: ryotaru

användare

May 5, 2022
I have the absolutely worst version of the S22U I guess. 8/128gb, Exynos.

No issues whatsoever. Fast, smooth, good battery. No lag or crashes for the two weeks I've had it.

So FWIW I have no complaints.

Camera setup is mindblowingly good for a phone, quite frankly ridiculously good.

The only minor minus would be the lack of proper native 960fps slomo (very niche thing anyway) but that's about it. S22U does some AI interpolation stuff there, and that's okay with me I guess. I'd rather have a better overall sensor there than one tailored for Tiktokers.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalepl
I've upgraded from an 8GB/512GB Exynos Note9 to a Snapdragon 12GB/512GB S22Ultra (S9080) and I couldn't be happier. Battery life is quite frankly amazing. The UI is buttery smooth. I don't like the in-display fingerprint sensor as much as the rear one from the Note9 and the form factor is a fair bit bulkier, but on the whole I'm personally very happy. Maybe I've just been very lucky.

Reactions: dalepl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well my friends, after 39 days, 19 pages, 371 posts, and numerous "Snarky" and sometimes rude and inappropriate comments, I think there is only one thing left to do......

marv-da-martian-marvin-the-martian.gif

Cheers and thanks to all for your comments.

-Regards: Badger50
    Good day all :)

I've been following this conversation for a while now and would like to compliment most of you for remaining so civil and respectful in this at times heated discussion. I've seen quite a few very strong opinions but I've also seen some slipping towards intolerance. Please remember that we're all people with feelings and this is still just a technical device. It's not worth fighting over because in the end we'll all go with our personal preference and whatever anyone else chooses is not yours to judge so please refrain from making things personal. Thank you for upholding a level of respect that is becoming of this community. Carry on 👍
    **Moderator Announcement**

Folks, I'm going to have to remind you to be civil and respectful. We all have different opinions, and we are all entitled to those opinions, regardless of whether others like those opinions. Remember that there is a difference between discussing bugs, faults, shortcomings, etc of particular devices or software, vs just trash talking.

The bottom line here is, you don't have to like someone else's opinion, and you're free to debate with counterpoints, but you must respect everyone's right to their opinion.

If this devolves further into trash talking and incivility, we will close the thread, and may issue infractions as necessary.

Your understanding and cooperation are appreciated.

I think this thread is really bad but the phone is good.