Question Does anyone else think THEIR S22 Ultra is a really bad phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
I agree with @ffp.. Something is off with your setup, @robi101012981. AccuBattery clocks my S22 Ultra's screen on time at 9h, screen off time at 58h, and combined use at 22h.

Screenshot_20220612-223407_AccuBattery.jpg

Reactions: cbragg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Because both of you won the chipset lottery, I changed 2 S22 ultra, both were the same. Its a trash device with poor quality control, i regret that I purchased it
In a production run Samsung will substitute smaller chipsets and components if inventory runs out. The firmware then may or may not run well. Until Samsung pushes a patch for those effected units if it can be corrected by firmware, this is what can happen.

It may not be correctable by firmware in which case the unit should be returned. The mobo needs to be replaced. Samsung may rework the mobo and then reuse it, don't know what they do in their little shop of horrors. Those effected phones should've never left the plant. Samsung QC sucks... they could have easily spotted this and prevented distribution. They have the in house diagnostic capabilities to do so.
A raw deal for the effected customer.

Either way the battery life sucks... you might want to try optimizing the device if you haven't done so already.
The Beast vs the Monster...
Screenshot_20220613-000015_AccuBattery.jpgScreenshot_20220613-000150_AccuBattery.jpg

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google Pixel 6a
Oh, you want the screen on time?
Here, yesterday it was about 9h. But i didn't got to 0%, as i said it is avout 20-30% at the end of the day.

View attachment 5635813

And again, I'm not doing effort to save battery.
Battery charged thrice. First one before it was fully charged, 2nd one when it was fully charged and then again towards the end to some 70%.

Unfortunately, the 9 hrs 6 mins of SOT shown in this chart is inclusive of all these three recharges.

Last edited:
Reactions: alan_uk84

_GRIZZLY_

Jul 2, 2013
Interesting test with performance stability:

Fold 2 with snapdragon 865+ hold the most performance stability.

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
Battery charged thrice. First one before it was fully charged, 2nd one when it was fully charged and then again towards the end to some 70%.

Unfortunately, the 9 hrs 6 mins of SOT shown in this chart is inclusive of all these three recharges.
There are only 2 charges in the graph, the 100% one is when I go to sleep. The other one was probably plugged to my PC transfering files. The battery would probably last those 9h from 100 to 0%.
You are missing the point here. I don't want to say that S22U has SoT of X hours and Y minutes. My point is that its battery lasts through the day with moderate use and no tweaks. If you use more, or want it to last more, then you should change some settings and the battery will hold.
What I'm trying to prove is that the battery life is *not* bad as the trolls are saying.

@robi101012981 Well, my 2 previous Samsung were exynos and they had practically the same battery life my S22U has. Dude, you clearly have a defective phone.
Are you saying that you exchanged your first S22U for another one and this one also had only 2 hours of screen on time? Something is smelling here. Something is really wrong. No phone in the market EVER lasted only 2 hours.

There are only 2 charges in the graph, the 100% one is when I go to sleep. The other one was probably plugged to my PC transfering files. The battery would probably last those 9h from 100 to 0%.
You are missing the point here. I don't want to say that S22U has SoT of X hours and Y minutes. My point is that its battery lasts through the day with moderate use and no tweaks. If you use more, or want it to last more, then you should change some settings and the battery will hold.
What I'm trying to prove is that the battery life is *not* bad as the trolls are saying.

@robi101012981 Well, my 2 previous Samsung were exynos and they had practically the same battery life my S22U has. Dude, you clearly have a defective phone.
Are you saying that you exchanged your first S22U for another one and this one also had only 2 hours of screen on time? Something is smelling here. Something is really wrong. No phone in the market EVER lasted only 2 hours.
No, I changed 2 S22 Ultra, they are having the same sht battery life(under 5h SOT on WIFI), I went with my last device at the Samsung store in my city, and also in another city close to me, and they said ,,we can't provide to you a new phone since in our tests the phone it's in normal parameters". Samsung it's ****, I don't want to hear any more about them, only if they'll bring Snap to Europe.

Tried to uninstall all the social media apps, I got 30 min more of SOT, so it's not about the usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-153618_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-153618_Device care.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 19

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville
Conclusion. It is clear that the Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10+ will not get the Android 13 update. However, one can still enjoy Android 13 with the help of custom ROMs. And don't forget that Samsung will still provide security updates for one more year.

(No Android 13 and only one more year of Security Updates then the Note10+ Obsolete.)

Samsung will offer four major Android OS updates to the Galaxy S22, S22 Plus, and S22 Ultra. The company also guarantees five years of security updates for all devices.

(So if you buying a phone today which one would you rather have? The soon to be Obsolete Note10+ or the S22 Ultra that is going to have Four Major OS Updates and 5 years of Security Updates?) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google Pixel 6a
There are only 2 charges in the graph, the 100% one is when I go to sleep.
9+ hours of SOT shown by you comes from three recharges.

in it, the charge before midnight drained POST midnight too and is inclusive of the SOT you posted. Likewise the usages after the following recharges also are a part of that total SOT irrespective of how it was charged.
You are missing the point here. I don't want to say that S22U has SoT of X hours and Y minutes.
Well, I think you did based on the previous msg you typed that I am again quoting👇:
Oh, you want the screen on time?
Here, yesterday it was about 9h. But i didn't got to 0%, as i said it is avout 20-30% at the end of the day.

View attachment 5635813
I think and believe others will agree too that one should post a full battery drain from 100% to a very minimum % along with a full screenshot of underyling usage chart to get a fine idea.
Umm..actually, based on my own experience to the core with Samsung flagships, I would say the S22 Ultra, even with the Snapdragon SoC, performs way lower than several predecessors purely in terms of battery endurance. Not counting any silicon lottery here though.

Last edited:

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google Pixel 6a
No recharges on mine. 😉
Right. Screen off time is just 47 mins, phone is continuously being used with bare minimum standby.

Let me give another example, I can watch YouTube contents using samsung browser for some 10 hours straight barely doing anything in between and it'll probably give me SOT of 10 hours. It's pretty easy to further play in the settings+uninstalling social media apps and such and the SOT will further go up, toggle the power saving and it'll add up. Does it mean my phone has really good batterylife? For me, no. It's a no because with similar settings and usage pattern, it needs to last similarly to predecessors but it lasts way less than several of them.

Last edited:

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville
Right. Screen off time is just 47 mins, phone is continuously being used with bare minimum standby.

Let me give another example, I can watch YouTube contents using samsung browser for some 10 hours straight barely doing anything in between and it'll probably give me SOT of 10 hours. It's pretty easy to further play in the settings+uninstalling social media apps and such and the SOT will further go up, toggle the power saving and it'll add up. Does it mean my phone has really good batterylife? For me, no. It's a no because with similar settings and usage pattern, it needs to last similarly to predecessors but it lasts way less than several of them.
It is what it is. Nothing going to change what's happening with the current and future generations of phones. They will get more power hungry and that won't change. Just like Graphics Cards and CPUs in Gaming laptops. You used to be able to game on them for hours now your lucky if you get two when just on battery. All the debating about past flagships and Whining about the current one isn't gonna change that fact. So again it is what it is.

On the part where current and future phones need to match their predecessors your living in a fantasy world.

Last edited:
Reactions: ffp.

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google Pixel 6a
It is what it is. Nothing going to change what's happening with the current and future generations of phones. You used to be able to game on them for hours now your lucky if you get two when just on battery. All the debating about past flagships and Whining about the current one isn't gonna change that fact. So again it is what it is.
Yes, it is what it is and its battery endurance is not that good, this is what it is and we can't change that. Unfortunately.
Nothing going to change what's happening with the current and future generations of phones. They will get more power hungry and that won't change. Just like Graphics Cards and CPUs in Gaming laptops. You used to be able to game on them for hours now your lucky if you get two when just on battery. All the debating about past flagships and Whining about the current one isn't gonna change that fact. So again it is what it is. On the part where current and future phones need to match their predecessors your living in a fantasy world.
Fortunately this is not going to happen I would say. Because otherwise with that logic, we will have to accept upcoming more powerful smartphones not caring about batterylife at all even if it lasts just a few hours or less. We should not encourage manufacturers by supporting them when they go wrong either because they will keep repeating the same not caring about customers. These are ultra premium smartphones with more battery effecient CPUs and GPUs(as advertised by the makers) and hence should behave that way. I for one, don't play a single game, so GPU is sitting idle.

If we talk about laptops, take examples from all ultra premium laptops(not the game centric machines), their battery endurances aren't going down. They actually last longer than older ones. Latest MacBook pros, dell xps lineup, Lenovo's latest yoga series to name a few.

Reactions: blackhawk

Griffin7296

Mar 22, 2022
No, I changed 2 S22 Ultra, they are having the same sht battery life(under 5h SOT on WIFI), I went with my last device at the Samsung store in my city, and also in another city close to me, and they said ,,we can't provide to you a new phone since in our tests the phone it's in normal parameters". Samsung it's ****, I don't want to hear any more about them, only if they'll bring Snap to Europe.
Yep, EXYNOS models seem to be "trash"

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011
@Virgo_Guy . There are only 2 green areas. This means 2 charges. Anyway, Paul_Deemer already provided a straight 9h SoT. And by my graphic you can see it is possible too.
Now you complain that he used youtube.
Ok, that's exactly why i said battery life is completely relative. It depends on how you use and if/how much you tweak for battery to last.

The point is, battery lasts enough. And even if it doesn't for you, fast charge charges about 80% in about 30min, so you don't have to worry much about battery.

Also, Paul_Deemer, you nailed in your last post. Since those old nokia phones, battery life is getting lower because of the major increase in hardware capability and power consumption.

EDIT: Can you show your S22U battery life? Is it worse than 9h?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
@Virgo_Guy . There are only 2 green areas. This means 2 charges. Anyway, Paul_Deemer already provided a straight 9h SoT. And by my graphic you can see it is possible too.
Now you complain that he used youtube.
Ok, that's exactly why i said battery life is completely relative. It depends on how you use and if/how much you tweak for battery to last.

The point is, battery lasts enough. And even if it doesn't for you, fast charge charges about 80% in about 30min, so you don't have to worry much about battery.

Also, Paul_Deemer, you nailed in your last post. Since those old nokia phones, battery life is getting lower because of the major increase in hardware capability and power consumption.

EDIT: Can you show your S22U battery life? Is it worse than 9h?
That's over 500 mAh constant drain. Does it ever ramp down to >100 mAh even for a second?
What are the peak mAh draws, 700, 1000 mAh?
Ridiculous.
Try running that with ambient temperatures of >96F for anything more than a few minutes.
At 100F ambient temperature things will get interesting fast. In direct sunlight/high brightness at those temperatures/current drains you can damage it especially shooting vids.
How much above ambient temperature starting 85F is ithe battery actually running when streaming vids? 6°F? 10F? Or more, which is likely...

At this rate Samsung might as well put a cooling fan in it and call it perfection🤣

raul6

Jan 26, 2009
We should not encourage manufacturers by supporting them when they go wrong either because they will keep repeating the same not caring about customers. These are ultra premium smartphones with more battery effecient CPUs and GPUs(as advertised by the makers) and hence should behave that way.
Agreed. I would like future Android OS iterations to be as battery optimised as IOS. I have to use all my tinkering knowledge and resources on S22U to come close to my wife's apple 13 pro max battery life. Which she uses mercilessly all day with no changes to it from the day it arrived. For some reason Google strategists think battery life is...less important

Reactions: Virgo_Guy

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville
Yes, it is what it is and its battery endurance is not that good, this is what it is and we can't change that. Unfortunately.

Fortunately this is not going to happen I would say. Because otherwise with that logic, we will have to accept upcoming more powerful smartphones not caring about batterylife at all even if it lasts just a few hours or less. We should not encourage manufacturers by supporting them when they go wrong either because they will keep repeating the same not caring about customers.
You guys are a trip. (It's already happening) you in here complaining about it every day and then you say oh fortunately that not gonna happen. 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well my friends, after 39 days, 19 pages, 371 posts, and numerous "Snarky" and sometimes rude and inappropriate comments, I think there is only one thing left to do......

marv-da-martian-marvin-the-martian.gif

Cheers and thanks to all for your comments.

-Regards: Badger50
    Good day all :)

I've been following this conversation for a while now and would like to compliment most of you for remaining so civil and respectful in this at times heated discussion. I've seen quite a few very strong opinions but I've also seen some slipping towards intolerance. Please remember that we're all people with feelings and this is still just a technical device. It's not worth fighting over because in the end we'll all go with our personal preference and whatever anyone else chooses is not yours to judge so please refrain from making things personal. Thank you for upholding a level of respect that is becoming of this community. Carry on 👍
    **Moderator Announcement**

Folks, I'm going to have to remind you to be civil and respectful. We all have different opinions, and we are all entitled to those opinions, regardless of whether others like those opinions. Remember that there is a difference between discussing bugs, faults, shortcomings, etc of particular devices or software, vs just trash talking.

The bottom line here is, you don't have to like someone else's opinion, and you're free to debate with counterpoints, but you must respect everyone's right to their opinion.

If this devolves further into trash talking and incivility, we will close the thread, and may issue infractions as necessary.

Your understanding and cooperation are appreciated.
    I don't mean this to be as incendiary as the title might suggest, but I bought a S22U last week and was shocked by just how starkly different my experience with it was compared to all of the reviews.

Like the screen and camera are nice, sure, and it charges relatively fast...but the UI is slow and stuttery. Even when it's technically not stuttering, it still feels way more jerky and abrupt than phones like the Pixel, OnePlus, and the iPhone.

The battery life has also not been good at all. It's far worse than the S21U, and accubattery is saying I should only get 6.5 hours of SOT vs. the Pixel's 7 hours (for the Pro) and 7.5 hours (for the standard 6). If I recall, accubattery clocked the S21U at like 8 or 9 hours.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this phone?
    I think this thread is really bad but the phone is good.