Question Does anyone know how to root this phone?

Search This thread

furballi

May 26, 2018
I had an option, starting with tapping on build name to enable dev tools, enabling it then Vol Up + Vol Down.
Do you have the T Mobile version of the A32 5G? All of these T Mobile branded phones have this feature removed. The T Mobile A21 still has the unlock option visible, but one cannot turn ON this feature.

I've UK Virgin Media version.
Do you have the T Mobile version of the A32 5G? All of these T Mobile branded phones have this feature removed. The T Mobile A21 still has the unlock option visible, but one cannot turn ON this feature.

I've sent instruction to furball on how to root A32 5G, and I'm copying instructions here.

Unlock developers options by tapping 5 times on build name/id or whichever build info you'll fine in Settings/Software information.
Then go to developers options which should be at the buttom
Enable USB Debbuging - that's to do a backup via adb,
Also enable OEM Unlock.

Do a backupa. I've done it via ADB using these two commands:
1. adb usb and then
2. adb backup -apk -shared -all -f backup.ab

Download the newest firmware for your device via eg Samfirm
Unpack it, from within unpack AP package
Inside extracted AP is boot.img file which you'll need to compress into .lz4 archive and name it boot.img.lz4
Patch boot.img.lz4 using magisk app.
Copy patched magisk-patched- boot.img.lz4 onto your PC
After that shut down the phone (just regular shutdown)
Install and start Odin on your PC.
While Odin is running phone is turned off, press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down, and while holding them connect USB cable, Phone should go into Download mode
It will then ask about bootloader unlock which needs to be done, in my case I was asked to hold Volume Up for 7 sec I think
After that my phone rebooted, so Shutdown again, Volume Up + Volume Down - then USB cable connection, device will show same options, that's fine, this time go to download mode aka. odin mode in my case by pressing Volume Down once.
Now go back to Odin on PC.
Click on AP and select magisk patched boot lz4 archve.
Make sure there is only Autoreboot and Reset time selected in options, nothing else
Like here
Odin-3.0911.png

Start flashing, after reboot device will ask to do factory reset, you'll have to do that.

Done

After that just restore everything from ADB backup.

Edit:
To create lz4 archive on Windows this version of 7Zip will be required.
https://github.com/mcmilk/7-Zip-zstd.git

smvsmv

Nov 16, 2014
on US Tmobile devices, the OEM unlock option isn't even available to enable. But I was excited about this for 30 seconds!

Reactions: hyelton
on US Tmobile devices, the OEM unlock option isn't even available to enable. But I was excited about this for 30 seconds!
I'm sorry, but Bootloaders have been made this difficult for a reason.
Mostly due to mobile carriers, their requrements for contract phones I do beleve.

I don't know for sure but it's possible that by Unlocking simlock will also unlock bootloader.
(Unlocked my previous after contract end, simunlocked S7, flashed new os via odin which failed before taking simlock off by UK carrier provided code.

For anyone that have ADB available you can use it to check if unlock is permiten on Your device by following adb command
adb shell getprop sys.oem_unlock_allowed
if iy returns 1 as it does on my device you should be in luck.

Reactions: tavella and smvsmv

smvsmv

Nov 16, 2014
Mostly due to mobile carriers, their requrements for contract phones I do beleve.

I don't know for sure but it's possible that by Unlocking simlock will also unlock bootloader.
(Unlocked my previous after contract end, simunlocked S7, flashed new os via odin which failed before taking simlock off by UK carrier provided code.

For anyone that have ADB available you can use it to check if unlock is permiten on Your device by following adb command
I got a 0. so, guess still locked out.

furballi

May 26, 2018

Thanks for your help, but we're stuck with T Mobile. I was able to completely remove the T Mobile app last year with the A21 phone. But the A32 5G is another beast...one of the T Mobile app cannot be removed via ADB.

Thanks for your help, but we're stuck with T Mobile. I was able to completely remove the T Mobile app last year with the A21 phone. But the A32 5G is another beast...one of the T Mobile app cannot be removed via ADB.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. just yer at least .
As far as I'm aware (and mt A326B is Treble compatible) A32 5G is Treble compatible.
Maybe try flashing GSI instead of de-bloating stock?
I know Treble is a thing and was for a while, never actually done such flash myself so let me know if it's not a good idea - like I don't know, first thing that come to my head is - because of locked a partition. unwanted app remain on device or something
Treble was developed to provide OS upgrade-ability after vendor finished support for the device as far as I'm aware so maybe...?

smvsmv

Nov 16, 2014
I tried working with Tmobile to see if they can initiate an unlock. Heard that they couldn't until the phone was paid off and pointed me to Samsung. Samsung pointed me back to Tmobile. Not sure I want to pay it off early, especially when I don't even know for sure that they'll do it at all.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
The T-Mobile version unlocked or not still cannot have the bootloader unlocked. I have one running T-Mobile firmware and other other running A326U1 fimrware. Bootloader cannot be unlocked so no root.

Both are Sim unlocked and can be used with any carrier. Still no bootloader unlock its not dooable

smvsmv

Nov 16, 2014
The T-Mobile version unlocked or not still cannot have the bootloader unlocked. I have one running T-Mobile firmware and other other running A326U1 fimrware. Bootloader cannot be unlocked so no root.

Both are Sim unlocked and can be used with any carrier. Still no bootloader unlock its not dooable
Not sure I follow. When you say "not doable", are you saying even Samsung will not be able to unlock?

Not sure I follow. When you say "not doable", are you saying even Samsung will not be able to unlock?
This would make no sense, since samsung have just recently shared source code for this variant.
From my expirience, if phone that was locked throughout the contract was unlocked by carrier for free after phone was paid off in full.
If anyone, it's T-Mobile that would be able to unlock it, don't think that Samsung will lift a finger to "bypass" bootloader lock that they designed for phone vendors to use.
T-Moblie(Phone carrier) is the one to contact

furballi

May 26, 2018
This would make no sense, since samsung have just recently shared source code for this variant.
From my expirience, if phone that was locked throughout the contract was unlocked by carrier for free after phone was paid off in full.
If anyone, it's T-Mobile that would be able to unlock it, don't think that Samsung will lift a finger to "bypass" bootloader lock that they designed for phone vendors to use.
T-Moblie(Phone carrier) is the one to contact
T Mobile can unlock the SIM card with an over the air update, but I don't believe that they could enable the bootloader option without updating the firmware for everyone. Again, with the A32 5G, T Mobile installed an app called T Mobile diagnostic that cannot be removed via ADB. This is used to keep track of the user, and you have no way to opt out unless you buy a generic A32 5G. You're hooked to T Mobile forever if you buy a T Mobile branded phone.
I have an A21 from T Mobile last year that didn't come with the T Mobile diagnostic app. The bootloader option is visible, but I'm not aware of anyone that could remove the T Mobile Android 10 and load a stock Android 10.

Reactions: hyelton
T Mobile can unlock the SIM card with an over the air update, but I don't believe that they could enable the bootloader option without updating the firmware for everyone. Again, with the A32 5G, T Mobile installed an app called T Mobile diagnostic that cannot be removed via ADB. This is used to keep track of the user, and you have no way to opt out unless you buy a generic A32 5G. You're hooked to T Mobile forever if you buy a T Mobile branded phone.
I have an A21 from T Mobile last year that didn't come with the T Mobile diagnostic app. The bootloader option is visible, but I'm not aware of anyone that could remove the T Mobile Android 10 and load a stock Android 10.
On my A326B OEM unlock option in Developers options was in fact a partial unlock,
Full unlock was done after I've turned phone off, and got to Download/Odin Mode (You can get there by doing the following: Get phone turned off with OEM Unlock in dev enabled - Then while Holding Volume Up + Volume Down Connect USB cable to PC, I had Odin runing but I'm not sure if it is necessary, probably not but still worth noting) . Try getting to Download mode.
Phone prompted me with two options, one of which was to unlock bootloader by Holding Volume Up button.
Also in regards to T-Mobile app, You can make sure that it doesn't have Device Admin permissions, then even if they are trying to do anything, will restrict them of doing so or even completly shut down their gateway.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington

I don't have have that on mine. The T-Mobile varient can be flashed with the U1 firmware which removes everything T-Mobile related.

Reactions: bigfry

furballi

May 26, 2018
I don't have have that on mine. The T-Mobile varient can be flashed with the U1 firmware which removes everything T-Mobile related.
T Mobile in the US is very aggressive when it comes to wiping out their version of OS. This started about 6 months ago. About this time, T Mobile also decided to throttle 4G (non-LTE) speed. The download speed of my T Mobile Nokia 521 suddenly drop from a nominal 6-7 Mbps to 1-2 Mbps. Switching to a SIM card that rely on AT&T towers restored the speed (6-7 Mbps). My area is supposed to get 5G last year. Unfortunately, the download speed is still a pathetic 10-12 Mbps.

furballi

May 26, 2018
On my A326B OEM unlock option in Developers options was in fact a partial unlock,
Full unlock was done after I've turned phone off, and got to Download/Odin Mode (You can get there by doing the following: Get phone turned off with OEM Unlock in dev enabled - Then while Holding Volume Up + Volume Down Connect USB cable to PC, I had Odin runing but I'm not sure if it is necessary, probably not but still worth noting) . Try getting to Download mode.
Phone prompted me with two options, one of which was to unlock bootloader by Holding Volume Up button.
Also in regards to T-Mobile app, You can make sure that it doesn't have Device Admin permissions, then even if they are trying to do anything, will restrict them of doing so or even completly shut down their gateway.
Unfortunately, this T Mobile app still run in the background consuming 25 MB RAM and CPU clock cycle.

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
I wouldn't be so sure about that. just yer at least .
As far as I'm aware (and mt A326B is Treble compatible) A32 5G is Treble compatible.
Maybe try flashing GSI instead of de-bloating stock?
I know Treble is a thing and was for a while, never actually done such flash myself so let me know if it's not a good idea - like I don't know, first thing that come to my head is - because of locked a partition. unwanted app remain on device or something
Treble was developed to provide OS upgrade-ability after vendor finished support for the device as far as I'm aware so maybe...?
if you can't unlock a bootloader you can't flash a GSI. also with Qualcomm Samsung phones recently, even unlocked phones bought directly can't have their bootloaders unlocked the normal, easy way. it's not just carrier phones that can't be unlocked it's all newer Qualcomm Samsung phones in the US.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I unlocked two of these phones today. Using the paid service. Also installed the v3 TWRP on both and it worked as well. Totally rooted and ready to go.
    Sweeet
    Welcome on board !
    I unlocked two of these phones today. Using the paid service. Also installed the v3 TWRP on both and it worked as well. Totally rooted and ready to go.

How are they able to bypass Samsung's lock? I don't think paying is worth it to get unlocked, esp over the internet where it could be a scam.
    you can join a telegram group full of people either waiting for or already had their bootloaders unlocked. it is quite pricey but it's not a scam (based on the people I've seen doing it) a moderator here used to do it and people have posted about being happy with the service they got.
    if it not via that route there currently isn't any other way to unlock bootloaders for US Samsung phones
    Be aware when you update ROM after that.
    Later version ROM can lock bootloader again and current token may not unlock again