Does anyone *not* have the clicking sound on their Pixel 2?

Search This thread

miamistevie

Oct 24, 2017
I've been using the pixel 2 for almost a week and haven't noticed any clicking or whining noise. The only issue I'm aware of is the unbalanced stereo speakers where one side is louder. Serial FA7A11******

Reactions: cb474

Digital DJ

Nov 16, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 4
This thread dicusses a clicking sound that people are reporting coming from the top of their Pixel 2, when NFC is on: https://xdaforums.com/pixel-2/help/clicking-phone-calls-t3691069.

Disabling NFC makes the clicking sound go away. It is audible at all times when the screen is on. At least some people, including me, find that it is louder when you put your ear to the back of the phone at the top, than when you hold the earpiece to your ear. So it is not clear if the sound is coming directly from the earpiece or not. But it is loud enough to be audible during calls and very annoying. The issue seems to only affect the Pixel 2 and not the 2 XL.

I'm just wondering if there are people with the Pixel 2 who do not hear the clicking sound? Is it just the few people commenting in the other thread or is this more or less a universal problem? I've seen very few reports (just one) of people saying they do not have this issue with their Pixel 2.

Just out of curiosity, is your GP2 a Verizon phone or Google? Meaning did you buy it from Google Store? I'm wondering if this is a Verizon thing since people were able to get Verizon's line of GP2's before Google shipped theirs out...

bartolo5

Dec 1, 2010
I think it's HW. Something not grounded or connected right.. Or some issue with one of the components they used. Im probably just going to return mine for the time being until it's sorted out. I don't have the patience to play the RMA/wait for update game

Many reports already of RMA'ed units exhibiting the very same behavior.

I'm with you. We are still waiting from a word from Google, but I wonder how fixable this is in software. I can't spend my life debugging this stuff for Google and it's going to take a while for them to sort it out. As much as I love this phone, I need calls to work, so I can't see another option than returning it?

IVBela

Apr 6, 2010
All these comments about having the noise problems. Do you people ever read the subject of the thread you are commenting in?
For those with problems understanding: in the sentence "Does anyone *not* have the clicking sound on their Pixel 2?" not have means the opposite of have. Please try to understand, and act accordingly.
I'd (and mot likely the original poster too) love to hear from those not having the problem, as usually in the general forums those post who have something unusual, others are just enjoying their device. This way we'd get a better picture of how widespread is the problem, as reading only the problematic posts create a biased opinion.

qberty

Aug 16, 2009
0m3ga.net
Straight from Google my device does not click or anything. Despite this, i've tried to fabricate a scenario to get it to make any clicking or jarring sounds that would be out of the ordinary and can't seem to replicate it with all the permutations of settings toggles I could muster. Definitely must have been a set of bad batches.

Reactions: cb474

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
Just out of curiosity, is your GP2 a Verizon phone or Google? Meaning did you buy it from Google Store? I'm wondering if this is a Verizon thing since people were able to get Verizon's line of GP2's before Google shipped theirs out...

Mine is from the Google Store. But I've seen a lot of reports of people both having and not having the clicking noise on Verizon phones and Google Store phones.

Reactions: Digital DJ

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
All these comments about having the noise problems. Do you people ever read the subject of the thread you are commenting in?
For those with problems understanding: in the sentence "Does anyone *not* have the clicking sound on their Pixel 2?" not have means the opposite of have. Please try to understand, and act accordingly.
I'd (and mot likely the original poster too) love to hear from those not having the problem, as usually in the general forums those post who have something unusual, others are just enjoying their device. This way we'd get a better picture of how widespread is the problem, as reading only the problematic posts create a biased opinion.

Yes, my goal with this thread was to hear from people who do not having the clicking sound to get a sense of how widespread the issue is. There is already a thread here about having the clicking sound (https://xdaforums.com/pixel-2/help/clicking-phone-calls-t3691069), one at the Google Product Forums (https://productforums.google.com/fo...!msg/phone-by-google/XuQgtm5dK8I/7SZD7EfxAAAJ), and about eight hundred of them at reddit.

My phone actually does have the clicking sound. But I just wanted to see if it's really all the phones or just a small subset of them. My sense from this thread and the one here at XDA discussing having the clicking sound is that it's about 50/50. Of course, that's totally unscientific. A ton of people at reddit report having the clicking sound and I got only some response to my thread there about not having it. So perhaps the best that can be said is that a lot of people do not have the clicking sound and a lot of people do.

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I understand the "negative" point of this thread and trust the following is of use:
I did not have the clicking sound when the phone was active or idle but on. Instead I had a constant high pitched whine. However, whilst using aeroplane mode fixed the whine it also introduced the clicking.

dsaucex

May 20, 2017
Serial: FA79F..., bought from Carphone Warehouse, UK. I use headphones all the time so didn't notice but just checked the earpiece and there is clicking sound which actually is not so evident but it is there. It goes away when NFC=Off. Now I am wondering if should push for replacement.

Digital DJ

Nov 16, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 4
I have a QUESTION for anyone who has the noise or really ANY issue with their GP2:

At what point did you notice the issue at hand? Any issue that is on your specific device?

I received my GP2 from the Google Store today and it is all setup and running. NFC is on but I hear no noises from it whatsoever (hopefully this is a good sign) also I don't see anything grainy with regards to the screen. So far this thing is pretty badass and I'm happy as heck that I bought it. But I'm still sort of cringing and waiting for something bad to happen...lol

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
I have a QUESTION for anyone who has the noise or really ANY issue with their GP2:

At what point did you notice the issue at hand? Any issue that is on your specific device?

I received my GP2 from the Google Store today and it is all setup and running. NFC is on but I hear no noises from it whatsoever (hopefully this is a good sign) also I don't see anything grainy with regards to the screen. So far this thing is pretty badass and I'm happy as heck that I bought it. But I'm still sort of cringing and waiting for something bad to happen...lol

I think the clicking sound is either there or not. So if you are not hearing it with NFC on, then you don't have the issue.

The grainy issue with the screen is only on the 2 XL.

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6

Without hijacking the thread, I noticed it during set up. It persisted afterward and that was the point I decided to return the phone. My guess is it's a shielding issue during manufacturing. If that's the case, those without the issue should be ok.

kiz84

Apr 17, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Serial: FA79F..., bought from Carphone Warehouse, UK. I use headphones all the time so didn't notice but just checked the earpiece and there is clicking sound which actually is not so evident but it is there. It goes away when NFC=Off. Now I am wondering if should push for replacement.

I bought mine from there too. And was considering returning it as that's what the Google Rep over chat told me. Problem is, the handset just isn't in stock anywhere near to me plus I'm on holiday next week for 2 weeks so I'll be outside of 30 days (almost) by the time I get back. Google have said that they give a 2 year manufacturer warranty so if anything does go wrong and CPW don't play ball you can always go to Google...

Top Liked Posts