Does factory unlocked mean OEM Unlocking can be done?

Search This thread

ATBG

May 25, 2022
Texas, USA.
I'm thinking about buying a Google Pixel 3 XL on Amazon, it's renewed. It is factory unlocked and I was wondering if it means it can be OEM unlocked. Does factory unlocked mean it doesn't come with a carrier?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I'm thinking about buying a Google Pixel 3 XL on Amazon, it's renewed. It is factory unlocked and I was wondering if it means it can be OEM unlocked. Does factory unlocked mean it doesn't come with a carrier?
Factory unlocked means it is not dedicated to a specific network, even if it is branded by a specific carrier. For example, it could be a Verizon device that is specifically branded/offered/sold/supported by Verizon with Verizon's company logo stamped on the device. It is possible to buy that Verizon device, then SIM/carrier unlock(factory unlock) the device and use it on any network instead of being dedicated to Verizon's network. The same would apply if it were a T-Mobile, Sprint or AT&T device or a device from any other carrier. Factory unlocked has nothing to do with what carrier the device was originally sold by. Factory unlocked only effects which networks it can be activated on.

Again, factory unlocked has nothing to do with OEM unlock or whether it can be OEM unlocked or not. They are two separate things and are not, in any way, associated with each other or have any effect on each other. Stop trying to connect factory unlock with OEM unlock. Will you please, once and for all, understand that.

As I stated, if you want a device that can be OEM unlocked, DO NOT BUY A DEVICE FROM ANY OF THE US CARRIERS(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc...), they pretty much all have OEM unlocking blocked, make sure the device has an international model number.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Reactions: Droidriven

Top Liked Posts