Question Does getting phone from Google or Xfinity matter when rooting

Search This thread

rrrrrrredbelly

Aug 16, 2010
WA
Google Pixel 6
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me, full disclosure, I haven't done any research yet, just looking for a quick yes/no answer. I currently have a P2XL, going to be upgrading to the pixel 6 soon. I know when I got my current phone in 2017, in order to root it, it had to come from Google and not Verizon. I'm going to be switching to Xfinity when I get my new phone, as far as rooting goes does it matter who I buy it from?

Appreciate the help,
Dan

mhrussell1

Oct 28, 2011
Anaheim
LG Nexus 5X
Google Pixel 3
I would highly recommend getting an unlocked phone but I would also highly recommend you get it from Amazon instead of Google. The customer service from Google is horrible if anything goes wrong. You can get an unlocked phone from Amazon the next day in many cases.

Reactions: rrrrrrredbelly

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me, full disclosure, I haven't done any research yet, just looking for a quick yes/no answer. I currently have a P2XL, going to be upgrading to the pixel 6 soon. I know when I got my current phone in 2017, in order to root it, it had to come from Google and not Verizon. I'm going to be switching to Xfinity when I get my new phone, as far as rooting goes does it matter who I buy it from?

Appreciate the help,
Dan
I came from a 2XL. The same restrictions that applied to the 2XL apply with the 6, i.e. do NOT purchase from Verizon or Best Buy. Both only sell units with locked bootloaders, leaving you high and dry.

Stick with Amazon or Google and you should be fine. However, you do want to make sure the device you buy from Amazon is not a Verizon model.

rrrrrrredbelly

Aug 16, 2010
WA
Google Pixel 6
I came from a 2XL. The same restrictions that applied to the 2XL apply with the 6, i.e. do NOT purchase from Verizon or Best Buy. Both only sell units with locked bootloaders, leaving you high and dry.

Stick with Amazon or Google and you should be fine. However, you do want to make sure the device you buy from Amazon is not a Verizon model.
Thanks, appreciate both responses. Google is appealing because of monthly payments, but I'll definitely check out prices from Amazon.

Thanks for the help.

CooperRules

Jul 1, 2022
Made an account just to say YES! Xfinity is very similar to Verizon in the way that every phone you buy from them is locked and is difficult to unlock. Amazon or google store is what I'd recommend.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Phones are illegal lock to network carriers now, at least in Uk, but im sure its global
Yes, but we are not talking about carrier locking, but bootloader locking. The two are mutually exclusive: carrier locks (which are legal in the US) aren't predicated on a bootloader lock (also legal in the US).

We tell people to stay away from Verizon and AT&T-branded devices because the bootloaders cannot be unlocked. Verizon and AT&T will remove the carrier lock after 90 days of service have elapsed, but they flat out refuse to ever unlock the bootloader.

Reactions: bobby janow

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yes, but we are not talking about carrier locking, but bootloader locking. The two are mutually exclusive: carrier locks (which are legal in the US) aren't predicated on a bootloader lock (also legal in the US).

We tell people to stay away from Verizon and AT&T-branded devices because the bootloaders cannot be unlocked. Verizon and AT&T will remove the carrier lock after 90 days of service have elapsed, but they flat out refuse to ever unlock the bootloader.
Carrier branded phones have one benefit and that's you can roll the cost into your monthly plan and not be subject to either another credit check or large one time bill. However, it's playing with fire as you mentioned. Carrier unlock yes, but being allowed to bootloader unlock is quite another. Verizon is completely locked down not 100% on ATT. But one other reason to buy from Google if you can afford it is that if something goes wrong with the device they will replace it (refurb natch) on a cross ship. Meaning once you get the replacement you have 30 days to send back the old one so you're never out a phone. I've availed myself of that option numerous times. It only took one time for me to get caught out on that to vow never again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would highly recommend getting an unlocked phone but I would also highly recommend you get it from Amazon instead of Google. The customer service from Google is horrible if anything goes wrong. You can get an unlocked phone from Amazon the next day in many cases.
    Phones are illegal lock to network carriers now, at least in Uk, but im sure its global