• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Does Google provide all updates to Pixel phones bought from Google?

Search This thread

IamSirius

Jul 6, 2014
Am looking to buy an unlocked Pixel 6 Pro directly from the Google Store. I was wondering if all system and security updates will come to the phone directly from Google instead of from the carrier I choose, eg T-Mobile.

IamSirius

Jul 6, 2014
Not sure what was so funny about that. I currently have an unlocked Note 20 Ultra on T-Mobile and hadn't received any security updates from June through September while other carriers had apparently sent updates during that time. My understanding is that Google is more timely in sending out updates to phones they sell vs. carriers, but I just wanted to confirm that before buying since I've never owned a Google branded phone before.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
All the updates come from google, and once in a while they will release slightly different versions for carriers around the world, I believe this is only the modem software, i know in the past that verizon also had some bootloader unlocking blocks as well which took longer for people to get root

Reactions: IamSirius

Shipoftheline

Oct 6, 2015
Salford
Not sure what was so funny about that. I currently have an unlocked Note 20 Ultra on T-Mobile and hadn't received any security updates from June through September while other carriers had apparently sent updates during that time. My understanding is that Google is more timely in sending out updates to phones they sell vs. carriers, but I just wanted to confirm that before buying since I've never owned a Google branded phone before.
Its a Google made phone and a Google operating system so come on be serous who do you think do the updates, Santa's helpers?

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Google releases the updates, even though there were - as far as I remember - two instances in the past when Google released a certain update for certain carriers slightly later than compared to the other ones, even though we are only talking about hours, couple days max.

IamSirius

Jul 6, 2014
Its a Google made phone and a Google operating system so come on be serous who do you think do the updates, Santa's helpers?
Like I said, I've never owned a Google phone purchased directly from Google. My current phone is unlocked with Google's OS and the updates come from T-Mobile AFAIK, which has recently been slow in rolling out their updates, so yes, I wanted to be sure about that before I spend my hard earned $900. Don't know why you had to mock my question. Everyone else who responded here was helpful and kind.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like I said, I've never owned a Google phone purchased directly from Google. My current phone is unlocked with Google's OS and the updates come from T-Mobile AFAIK, which has recently been slow in rolling out their updates, so yes, I wanted to be sure about that before I spend my hard earned $900. Don't know why you had to mock my question. Everyone else who responded here was helpful and kind.
    no question is silly if you dont know the answer
    Google releases the updates, even though there were - as far as I remember - two instances in the past when Google released a certain update for certain carriers slightly later than compared to the other ones, even though we are only talking about hours, couple days max.
    they come from google
    no question is silly if you dont know the answer
    Am looking to buy an unlocked Pixel 6 Pro directly from the Google Store. I was wondering if all system and security updates will come to the phone directly from Google instead of from the carrier I choose, eg T-Mobile.
    In fairness, I "think" Google also do the updates for all the carrier variations as well so either way you're good and will get timely updates no matter which Pixel 6 Pro you get.