Does ICS have a kernal?

Search This thread

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
So i was just wondering but how does CM9 have a kernal if we dont have an ICS kernal?

It is in the boot.img. So far all Infuse cm9 is based of jt or entropy branching off jt. If you want just the kernel, after you f flash the ROM, you can dump the kernel from bml 7 using dd commamd.
Jt recover ics is such a kernel. Check my thread for the heimdall packed.
Jscott also extracted entropies kernel and i packed into a heimdall 1 click also. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Pm me if you want a shot at it.
I think having these kernel in a heimdall makes flashing and recovery from cm9 simple.
Dl mode. Flash. factory reset. And it's ready for cm9 ROM.

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
It is in the boot.img. So far all Infuse cm9 is based of jt or entropy branching off jt. If you want just the kernel, after you f flash the ROM, you can dump the kernel from bml 7 using dd commamd.
Jscott also extracted entropies kernel and i packed into a heimdall 1 click also. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Pm me if you want a shot at it.
I think having these kernel in a heimdall makes flashing and recovery from cm9 simple.

I've used your heimdal package of the ics kernel multiple times as I constantly brick my phone trying to port and have to go back to stock...I then flash the ics kernel and I'm back up and running ready for ics...I just wish I could only flash the kernel...always gotta go back to stock first...but with your heimdal I'm back up and running in no time :p

Sent from my SGH-I997 using XDA

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
As for the kernel...as far as I know it isn't a full on ics kernel...it is a gingerbread kernel that has been heavily modified to run ics however it will not work with gingerbread any longer...

So its an ics kernel created from a gingerbread kernel...insane development going on there...got tons of respect for jt and entropy getting that done...

qkster

Apr 5, 2011
USA
I've used your heimdal package of the ics kernel multiple times as I constantly brick my phone trying to port and have to go back to stock...I then flash the ics kernel and I'm back up and running ready for ics...I just wish I could only flash the kernel...always gotta go back to stock first...but with your heimdal I'm back up and running in no time :p

I don't think you need to go back to stock with system files that you will overwrite anyway.
Flash just the kernel. Wipe.
And flash the ics.
Maybe use entropy kernel flash then a jt kernel if you can't recover with only jt.

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
I don't think you need to go back to stock with system files that you will overwrite anyway.
Flash just the kernel. Wipe.
And flash the ics.
Maybe use entropy kernel flash then a jt kernel if you can't recover with only jt.

What do you mean by an entropy kernel flash then a jt? I've tried just flashing the jt one you have and no matter what rom I flash...when I hit that reboot button it will always boot back to recovery...

Anyways im back up and running in under 10 minutes...so its nothing to complain about...

qkster

Apr 5, 2011
USA
What do you mean by an entropy kernel flash then a jt? I've tried just flashing the jt one you have and no matter what rom I flash...when I hit that reboot button it will always boot back to recovery...

Anyways im back up and running in under 10 minutes...so its nothing to complain about...

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing but:

Let say you tried a port or build and got into a boot loop. Or lost recovery, you don't necessarily have to flash the whole stock package.
In my kernel root thread, post #3. Flash the Jt kernel in download mode. That should bring you n back to recovery from boot loop or lost recovery with the three finger combo.
I've noted that since Jt kernel has the cwm 5.xxx sometimes it doesn't do the trick. If that was the case, I would flash the entropy in download mode..post #2..in the uclb3 thread.
That will also give you cwm recovery without having to flash the whole stock base.
Boot into recovery, wipe and/or mount and you are set to flash the next experimental build. Just be sure to have a couple of different builds to test on your sdcard.
Once you flash what ever build or ROM, it had it's own kernel and system file to write over your current. In this case, it would not matter, as you are not working with a system file...only the recovery.

Edit: it would also make sense of you created a mg_lite ROM for debug if you needed to have the phone system. Make a ROM with minimal stuff. Turn off boot ani. Have only minimal apps..no email or gmail or bt fb or any crap that would allow down the boot and dalvik process. Only a few system files and libs are needed. That way you can save some time instead of going back to the whole stock process

Last edited:
Reactions: mg2195

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM

Let say you tried a port or build and got into a boot loop. Or lost recovery, you don't necessarily have to flash the whole stock package.
In my kernel root thread, post #3. Flash the Jt kernel in download mode. That should bring you n back to recovery from boot loop or lost recovery with the three finger combo.
I've noted that since Jt kernel has the cwm 5.xxx sometimes it doesn't do the trick. If that was the case, I would flash the entropy in download mode..post #2..in the uclb3 thread.
That will also give you cwm recovery without having to flash the whole stock base.
Boot into recovery, wipe and/or mount and you are set to flash the next experimental build. Just be sure to have a couple of different builds to test on your sdcard.
Once you flash what ever build or ROM, it had it's own kernel and system file to write over your current. In this case, it would not matter, as you are not working with a system file...only the recovery.

Edit: it would also make sense of you created a mg_lite ROM for debug if you needed to have the phone system. Make a ROM with minimal stuff. Turn off boot ani. Have only minimal apps..no email or gmail or bt fb or any crap that would allow down the boot and dalvik process. Only a few system files and libs are needed. That way you can save some time instead of going back to the whole stock process

Taking a vacation for memorial weekend...but I'll give what you suggested a try Monday night...if I happen to soft brick...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So i was just wondering but how does CM9 have a kernal if we dont have an ICS kernal?

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone