• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Does T-Mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked on Pixels?

Search This thread

slingblade01

Nov 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'm trying to decide between Factory Unlocked vs TM subsidized. In general, does TM allow the BL to be unlocked? I know in the past they allowed my OnePlus 7 to be unlocked.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
They do after it's paid off. I went through this on my Oneplus 6t, it wasn't too bad. If you got the unlocked version like I did, unless Goggle did something unexpected with their chip, you should be able to unlock it in fastboot with OEM unlock.

DR4LUC0N

Jun 1, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have the Oneplus 7 Pro and told TMO I needed the sim unlocked because I was going overseas for buisness for 6 months. Granted it took me a little bit between messaging them through the app and their social media, but eventually got it done. Then within 2 days of having the device I had a fully unlocked 7 Pro.

mang0

Jan 12, 2012
San Diego
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
I bit the bullet and ordered thru T-Mobile, mainly because Google's ship date is so far out now (like next year far). I anticipate a process as painful as the one I went thru with my OnePlus 6T back in the day.... but 🤞 it works out.

Reactions: Debianation

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Lots of responses but I'm not sure if the OP's question has been answered. Will t-mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked if the device has been paid off in full and subsequently unlocked?

KOLIOSIS

Lots of responses but I'm not sure if the OP's question has been answered. Will t-mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked if the device has been paid off in full and subsequently unlocked?

@slingblade01

I haven't B/L unlocked a Google/T-Mobile device since the Motorola Nexus 6 & TBH,I can't remember if I got it SIM Unlocked before B/L unlocking.
At any rate,IIRC,one doesn't necessarily have a thing to do w/the other. Of course,YMMV depending on the make/mfg of the phone.

No one really knows until devices start landing in the hands of the developer community. Anything beforehand is speculation,especially since this is a new SOC we're dealing with here.

DR4LUC0N

Jun 1, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It has been answered, in many different ways by different people...

Aslong as Google allows the phone to be unlocked the TMO variant should allow it. And as I stated before, I had my Oneplus 7 Pro unlocked on the 2nd day I had it, WAY before it was even paid off.

Are you even reading the comments?

Vortextuality

Jun 12, 2017
It has been answered, in many different ways by different people...

Aslong as Google allows the phone to be unlocked the TMO variant should allow it. And as I stated before, I had my Oneplus 7 Pro unlocked on the 2nd day I had it, WAY before it was even paid off.

Are you even reading the comments?
How did you get your phone unlocked that early? When I had my 7T Pro McLaren they were willing to do it once I told them it was for root, but for my 6 Pro they're expecting me to pay the full thing off in accordance with policy. I really don't have $750 to pay my phone off early.

How did you get your phone unlocked that early? When I had my 7T Pro McLaren they were willing to do it once I told them it was for root, but for my 6 Pro they're expecting me to pay the full thing off in accordance with policy. I really don't have $750 to pay my phone off early.
Some of us have used the chat agents to have them unlock the sim, which yields the ability to unlock bootloader. I was able to do this a few weeks ago. I just said I was offered a job overseas. I said I was keeping my account active but wanted to use the pixel while overseas. They unlocked the sim no question asked. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the willing agent.

Btw, I am on an EIP.

Best wishes.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Vortextuality

Jun 12, 2017
Some of us have used the chat agents to have them unlock the sim, which yields the ability to unlock bootloader. I was able to do this a few weeks ago. I just said I was offered a job overseas. I said I was keeping my account active but wanted to use the pixel while overseas. They unlocked the sim no question asked. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the willing agent.

Btw, I am on an EIP.

Best wishes.
Did you do it through the TMo app or through T Force on Twitter?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're referring to two completely different things that have nothing to do with the other: carrier unlock versus bootloader unlock
    For reference, while they are completely separate, and having one doesn't at all mean you can have the other (just like Verizon phones are carrier unlocked from the get-go, but you can very, very rarely achieve bootloader unlock on a Verizon variant), it's been consistently found that those who have the T-Mobile variant of the P6P, once they achieve carrier unlock, they're able to also unlock the bootloader. I haven't kept count but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been at least a dozen folks who have reported this being done successfully in these forums as I've kept up with those threads although they don't pertain to me, and I'm sure some folks do it and just don't post about it here.
    I just got my P6P on Christmas, and it is on an EIP. I messaged Tmo on Twitter to see if they actually would remove my carrier lock, and turns out they did! Attached what my conversation with them looked like.

I started the Convo by saying "I need help with my new phone" and this is what happened after. I'm surprised I got it on my first try. When the customer service rep sent me the link to the extra steps, I got a notification on my P6P that my phone is now carrier unlocked, and the link the rep sent was just telling me to download the Carrier Unlock app from the Play Store. When I downloaded it, it didn't do much but confirm that it was already unlocked. I rebooted and now the OEM Unlock switch isn't grayed out!
    @mobbdeep was able to get it unlocked for me
    Bringing this back from the dead as I just got my P6P a few days ago from T-Mobile. Not sure if you know the answer to this but in that thread you posted OP states that he can not unlock sprint even if you have a T-Mobile sim. Technically im still a sprint customer on a T-Mobile sim I ordered my phone from a T-Mobile store...
    Bringing this back from the dead as I just got my P6P a few days ago from T-Mobile. Not sure if you know the answer to this but in that thread you posted OP states that he can not unlock sprint even if you have a T-Mobile sim. Technically im still a sprint customer on a T-Mobile sim I ordered my phone from a T-Mobile store...
    I'm not 100 percent on that I know it has to be bought from tmo and I'm pretty sure a tmo sim but that's something you will have to ask him or read through the thread I know he was not able to for metro users but not sure if that's because the sim or where they purchased it . I want to say he can't unless it's a tmo sim but it's worth asking. If his pm is off he does that when he gets backed up and will turn them bk on when he gets caught up but he has unlocked a OnePlus phone and a pixel for me so far so he can definitely do it if you meet his requirements. Maybe you can get tmo to give you a new sim card considering they own sprint it might be worth it if it doesn't switch a bunch of things for you.
    They do after it's paid off. I went through this on my Oneplus 6t, it wasn't too bad. If you got the unlocked version like I did, unless Goggle did something unexpected with their chip, you should be able to unlock it in fastboot with OEM unlock.
    You're referring to two completely different things that have nothing to do with the other: carrier unlock versus bootloader unlock
    There is never a downside to buying an Unlocked device
    yeah i tried rebooting. didnt do anything. I had to factory reset . idk why but its good now. now to start working on LineageOS
    For reference, while they are completely separate, and having one doesn't at all mean you can have the other (just like Verizon phones are carrier unlocked from the get-go, but you can very, very rarely achieve bootloader unlock on a Verizon variant), it's been consistently found that those who have the T-Mobile variant of the P6P, once they achieve carrier unlock, they're able to also unlock the bootloader. I haven't kept count but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been at least a dozen folks who have reported this being done successfully in these forums as I've kept up with those threads although they don't pertain to me, and I'm sure some folks do it and just don't post about it here.
    Nope. You will wait forever
    I just got my P6P on Christmas, and it is on an EIP. I messaged Tmo on Twitter to see if they actually would remove my carrier lock, and turns out they did! Attached what my conversation with them looked like.

I started the Convo by saying "I need help with my new phone" and this is what happened after. I'm surprised I got it on my first try. When the customer service rep sent me the link to the extra steps, I got a notification on my P6P that my phone is now carrier unlocked, and the link the rep sent was just telling me to download the Carrier Unlock app from the Play Store. When I downloaded it, it didn't do much but confirm that it was already unlocked. I rebooted and now the OEM Unlock switch isn't grayed out!