• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Does T-Mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked on Pixels?

Search This thread

slingblade01

Nov 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'm trying to decide between Factory Unlocked vs TM subsidized. In general, does TM allow the BL to be unlocked? I know in the past they allowed my OnePlus 7 to be unlocked.

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
They do after it's paid off. I went through this on my Oneplus 6t, it wasn't too bad. If you got the unlocked version like I did, unless Goggle did something unexpected with their chip, you should be able to unlock it in fastboot with OEM unlock.

DR4LUC0N

Jun 1, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have the Oneplus 7 Pro and told TMO I needed the sim unlocked because I was going overseas for buisness for 6 months. Granted it took me a little bit between messaging them through the app and their social media, but eventually got it done. Then within 2 days of having the device I had a fully unlocked 7 Pro.

mang0

Jan 12, 2012
San Diego
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
I bit the bullet and ordered thru T-Mobile, mainly because Google's ship date is so far out now (like next year far). I anticipate a process as painful as the one I went thru with my OnePlus 6T back in the day.... but 🤞 it works out.

Reactions: Debianation

wiseguyy

Jun 26, 2011
Where abouts unknown
Pretty simple logic here, If You Pay it Off The Day You Receive it You Can Unlock The Bootloader. When it's yours 100% Free and Clear of an EIP your Golden :)

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Lots of responses but I'm not sure if the OP's question has been answered. Will t-mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked if the device has been paid off in full and subsequently unlocked?

KOLIOSIS

Lots of responses but I'm not sure if the OP's question has been answered. Will t-mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked if the device has been paid off in full and subsequently unlocked?

@slingblade01

I haven't B/L unlocked a Google/T-Mobile device since the Motorola Nexus 6 & TBH,I can't remember if I got it SIM Unlocked before B/L unlocking.
At any rate,IIRC,one doesn't necessarily have a thing to do w/the other. Of course,YMMV depending on the make/mfg of the phone.

No one really knows until devices start landing in the hands of the developer community. Anything beforehand is speculation,especially since this is a new SOC we're dealing with here.

DR4LUC0N

Jun 1, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It has been answered, in many different ways by different people...

Aslong as Google allows the phone to be unlocked the TMO variant should allow it. And as I stated before, I had my Oneplus 7 Pro unlocked on the 2nd day I had it, WAY before it was even paid off.

Are you even reading the comments?

Vortextuality

Jun 12, 2017
It has been answered, in many different ways by different people...

Aslong as Google allows the phone to be unlocked the TMO variant should allow it. And as I stated before, I had my Oneplus 7 Pro unlocked on the 2nd day I had it, WAY before it was even paid off.

Are you even reading the comments?
How did you get your phone unlocked that early? When I had my 7T Pro McLaren they were willing to do it once I told them it was for root, but for my 6 Pro they're expecting me to pay the full thing off in accordance with policy. I really don't have $750 to pay my phone off early.

How did you get your phone unlocked that early? When I had my 7T Pro McLaren they were willing to do it once I told them it was for root, but for my 6 Pro they're expecting me to pay the full thing off in accordance with policy. I really don't have $750 to pay my phone off early.
Some of us have used the chat agents to have them unlock the sim, which yields the ability to unlock bootloader. I was able to do this a few weeks ago. I just said I was offered a job overseas. I said I was keeping my account active but wanted to use the pixel while overseas. They unlocked the sim no question asked. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the willing agent.

Btw, I am on an EIP.

Best wishes.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Vortextuality

Jun 12, 2017
Some of us have used the chat agents to have them unlock the sim, which yields the ability to unlock bootloader. I was able to do this a few weeks ago. I just said I was offered a job overseas. I said I was keeping my account active but wanted to use the pixel while overseas. They unlocked the sim no question asked. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the willing agent.

Btw, I am on an EIP.

Best wishes.
Did you do it through the TMo app or through T Force on Twitter?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Btw, I am on an EIP.

Best wishes.
    I used Facebook Messenger. Took about a hour. The agents, supposedly, work multiple chats simultaneously. I've read both the app and Twitter worked as well.
    Is your phone paid off?
    No, I have an EIP.
    I asked TMobile to carrier unlock my Oneplus 7 Pro 24 hours after I got it stating I purchased the phone because it had 2 sim cards and I wanted to use the sim from my work phone and not have to carry 2 phones. They complied right away and I was then able to bootloader unlock and swap the TMobile rom for the Global with no issues after that :)

I'd still recommend buying the unlocked version anyways.
    Don't tell them you're rooting it, just tell them you're doing out of the country for buisness for 6 weeks, then they'll tell you to do a temporary unlock, just tell them its giving you an error and play dumb, say stuff like okay and thanks, sound like a friendly person and that you're greatful for anything they do, they'll send it up to the offline team and you'll get your unlock within 24 hours.
    Nope. You will wait forever
    There is never a downside to buying an Unlocked device
    I bit the bullet and ordered thru T-Mobile, mainly because Google's ship date is so far out now (like next year far). I anticipate a process as painful as the one I went thru with my OnePlus 6T back in the day.... but 🤞 it works out.

Btw, I am on an EIP.

Best wishes.
    I used Facebook Messenger. Took about a hour. The agents, supposedly, work multiple chats simultaneously. I've read both the app and Twitter worked as well.