• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Does T-Mobile allow the bootloader to be unlocked on Pixels?

Search This thread

SchmilK

Nov 2, 2007
play.google.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I asked TMobile to carrier unlock my Oneplus 7 Pro 24 hours after I got it stating I purchased the phone because it had 2 sim cards and I wanted to use the sim from my work phone and not have to carry 2 phones. They complied right away and I was then able to bootloader unlock and swap the TMobile rom for the Global with no issues after that :)

I'd still recommend buying the unlocked version anyways.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

DR4LUC0N

Jun 1, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
How did you get your phone unlocked that early? When I had my 7T Pro McLaren they were willing to do it once I told them it was for root, but for my 6 Pro they're expecting me to pay the full thing off in accordance with policy. I really don't have $750 to pay my phone off early.
Don't tell them you're rooting it, just tell them you're doing out of the country for buisness for 6 weeks, then they'll tell you to do a temporary unlock, just tell them its giving you an error and play dumb, say stuff like okay and thanks, sound like a friendly person and that you're greatful for anything they do, they'll send it up to the offline team and you'll get your unlock within 24 hours.

albinoman887

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2010
Snohomish, WA
First P6P, Tforce unlocked. Second P6P, TForce didn't want to but 611 did. Luck of the draw really, just ask nicely and not be a brand new account I suppose. If the rep you get doesn't want to do it, just try again
i got them to unlock mine but the OEM unlock option is still greyed out. Did you have to wait or was it instant? I contacted them over twitter and they had me download the unlock app and do the permanent unlock option which gave an error initially but then worked. but OEM unlock is still greyed out.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
i got them to unlock mine but the OEM unlock option is still greyed out. Did you have to wait or was it instant? I contacted them over twitter and they had me download the unlock app and do the permanent unlock option which gave an error initially but then worked. but OEM unlock is still greyed out.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest ⬇. Did you try rebooting?
It's instant. They told me to reboot one time and it was there

I just got my P6P from T-Mobile about a week or so ago and i had it ROOTed within 3-4 days of receiving it...

After about a dozen phone calls, a few trys on @T-MobileHelp on Twitter, T-Mobile Facebook page, and even tele-sales. Most of the Reps said after (40) days after the date of purchase. What seemed to work was : "I am going out of the country for vacation and i want to purchase a pre-paid SIM when you land..." Between that and getting the right rep that either doesn't know what policy is, doesn't care what policy is, or just goes around or over policy. says ...

Bottom Line : Don't give up! Hang up and call right the fukc back...

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
I just got my P6P from T-Mobile about a week or so ago and i had it ROOTed within 3-4 days of receiving it...

After about a dozen phone calls, a few trys on @T-MobileHelp on Twitter, T-Mobile Facebook page, and even tele-sales. Most of the Reps said after (40) days after the date of purchase. What seemed to work was : "I am going out of the country for vacation and i want to purchase a pre-paid SIM when you land..." Between that and getting the right rep that either doesn't know what policy is, doesn't care what policy is, or just goes around or over policy. says ...

Bottom Line : Don't give up! Hang up and call right the fukc back...
I had too call prob 6 times. Finally got someone that mods there phone. I asked if there's a way if I could just call him every time but doesn't work that way

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Got mine last Wednesday from Tmo. Sent a msg on Twitter an hour after I opened it, told him I was a developer, and then I might be going to Puerto Rico for Christmas.
It was unlocked 5 minutes later.

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_221548.jpg
    IMG_20211215_221548.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 38

NUGZZ420

Feb 5, 2012
OREGON
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm trying to decide between Factory Unlocked vs TM subsidized. In general, does TM allow the BL to be unlocked? I know in the past they allowed my OnePlus 7 to be unlocked.
@mobbdeep was able to get it unlocked for me

iLLdWes

Nov 27, 2012
Queens, NYC
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Bringing this back from the dead as I just got my P6P a few days ago from T-Mobile. Not sure if you know the answer to this but in that thread you posted OP states that he can not unlock sprint even if you have a T-Mobile sim. Technically im still a sprint customer on a T-Mobile sim I ordered my phone from a T-Mobile store...

NUGZZ420

Feb 5, 2012
OREGON
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Bringing this back from the dead as I just got my P6P a few days ago from T-Mobile. Not sure if you know the answer to this but in that thread you posted OP states that he can not unlock sprint even if you have a T-Mobile sim. Technically im still a sprint customer on a T-Mobile sim I ordered my phone from a T-Mobile store...
I'm not 100 percent on that I know it has to be bought from tmo and I'm pretty sure a tmo sim but that's something you will have to ask him or read through the thread I know he was not able to for metro users but not sure if that's because the sim or where they purchased it . I want to say he can't unless it's a tmo sim but it's worth asking. If his pm is off he does that when he gets backed up and will turn them bk on when he gets caught up but he has unlocked a OnePlus phone and a pixel for me so far so he can definitely do it if you meet his requirements. Maybe you can get tmo to give you a new sim card considering they own sprint it might be worth it if it doesn't switch a bunch of things for you.

Reactions: iLLdWes
I just got my P6P on Christmas, and it is on an EIP. I messaged Tmo on Twitter to see if they actually would remove my carrier lock, and turns out they did! Attached what my conversation with them looked like.

I started the Convo by saying "I need help with my new phone" and this is what happened after. I'm surprised I got it on my first try. When the customer service rep sent me the link to the extra steps, I got a notification on my P6P that my phone is now carrier unlocked, and the link the rep sent was just telling me to download the Carrier Unlock app from the Play Store. When I downloaded it, it didn't do much but confirm that it was already unlocked. I rebooted and now the OEM Unlock switch isn't grayed out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-092301.png
    Screenshot_20211229-092301.png
    891.9 KB · Views: 24

JW09I4

Jan 5, 2016
They do after it's paid off. I went through this on my Oneplus 6t, it wasn't too bad. If you got the unlocked version like I did, unless Goggle did something unexpected with their chip, you should be able to unlock it in fastboot with OEM unlock.
You're referring to two completely different things that have nothing to do with the other: carrier unlock versus bootloader unlock

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
You're referring to two completely different things that have nothing to do with the other: carrier unlock versus bootloader unlock
For reference, while they are completely separate, and having one doesn't at all mean you can have the other (just like Verizon phones are carrier unlocked from the get-go, but you can very, very rarely achieve bootloader unlock on a Verizon variant), it's been consistently found that those who have the T-Mobile variant of the P6P, once they achieve carrier unlock, they're able to also unlock the bootloader. I haven't kept count but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been at least a dozen folks who have reported this being done successfully in these forums as I've kept up with those threads although they don't pertain to me, and I'm sure some folks do it and just don't post about it here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For reference, while they are completely separate, and having one doesn't at all mean you can have the other (just like Verizon phones are carrier unlocked from the get-go, but you can very, very rarely achieve bootloader unlock on a Verizon variant), it's been consistently found that those who have the T-Mobile variant of the P6P, once they achieve carrier unlock, they're able to also unlock the bootloader. I haven't kept count but I wouldn't be surprised if there have been at least a dozen folks who have reported this being done successfully in these forums as I've kept up with those threads although they don't pertain to me, and I'm sure some folks do it and just don't post about it here.
    I just got my P6P on Christmas, and it is on an EIP. I messaged Tmo on Twitter to see if they actually would remove my carrier lock, and turns out they did! Attached what my conversation with them looked like.

I started the Convo by saying "I need help with my new phone" and this is what happened after. I'm surprised I got it on my first try. When the customer service rep sent me the link to the extra steps, I got a notification on my P6P that my phone is now carrier unlocked, and the link the rep sent was just telling me to download the Carrier Unlock app from the Play Store. When I downloaded it, it didn't do much but confirm that it was already unlocked. I rebooted and now the OEM Unlock switch isn't grayed out!
    I'm not 100 percent on that I know it has to be bought from tmo and I'm pretty sure a tmo sim but that's something you will have to ask him or read through the thread I know he was not able to for metro users but not sure if that's because the sim or where they purchased it . I want to say he can't unless it's a tmo sim but it's worth asking. If his pm is off he does that when he gets backed up and will turn them bk on when he gets caught up but he has unlocked a OnePlus phone and a pixel for me so far so he can definitely do it if you meet his requirements. Maybe you can get tmo to give you a new sim card considering they own sprint it might be worth it if it doesn't switch a bunch of things for you.
    They do after it's paid off. I went through this on my Oneplus 6t, it wasn't too bad. If you got the unlocked version like I did, unless Goggle did something unexpected with their chip, you should be able to unlock it in fastboot with OEM unlock.
    There is never a downside to buying an Unlocked device
    yeah i tried rebooting. didnt do anything. I had to factory reset . idk why but its good now. now to start working on LineageOS
    Nope. You will wait forever