Does the note 4 have FM radio or the hardware for one?

Search This thread

Xanode

May 2, 2012
Cant seem to find an answer to this anywhere, here in aus we don't have unlimited data so streaming apps are out of the question has samsung finally woken up to itself and put in an fm radio? Or at least the hardware inside the phone to use an after market app like spirit FM?

Although the note 4 is full of awesomeness, If not i think its time for me to look else where for a phone maybe the next HTC will be up to par?

thanks for any help.

Xanode

May 2, 2012
wow so even people that own the phone dont know if it has an fm radio, this is crazy i cant find the answer to this anywhere....

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think many people here have Note 4 yet, but judging from the past I don't think it will have one. Now funny part is, almost all Samsung phones in the past had radio hardware but it was disabled. There was a developer who wrote a program to enable it in some phones, but he speculated that for example Note 3 had antenna shorted to the ground, so even with his program it wouldn't work, unless you were brave enough to actually do some soldering. If I had to speculate, I would lean towards carriers requesting radio to be eliminated, they don't make money if you use free fm radio, instead of streaming, but that could mean some versions could have it. In many places Note 4 should be available any day now, so we should know more then.

muneco803

Jun 15, 2010
it does have fm chip

Only sprint allows you to use it. The rest of the carriers have not activated it yet. Read the next radio website for more information

darekz

Nov 23, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I believe Sprint Note 4 uses specific modem (radio) which includes fm radio tuner too. It is not about carriers not activating that feature, it is not included in hardware in other models of Note 4.

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
Any update on this? I own SM-910F, Orange carrier here in Romania.
I also don't seem to find the info about built-in FM chip into this specific Note 4 model.
For all it matters, I do know it's Snapdragon CPU powered.

If I rooted the phone, would I be able to use the FM chip inside?

@ OP: have you been able to dig up more on this? Thanks!

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I also don't seem to find the info about built-in FM chip into this specific Note 4 model.

Root is required, You could try borrowing the apk for FM radio and the lib files from a "sprinter" and placing in your system. Thats the place to start.

Reactions: bbbobbbo

Ci2e

Dec 16, 2011
Look at Nextradio apps supported devices page, find your device in my case Note 4.

Unless a Boost Mobile, Sprint, or Virgin Mobile version of a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 differs from a AT&T or Verizon version then I highly doubt any version of the Note 4 is lacking an FM radio chip. I recall AT&T unlocking the feature in the near future for the Note 4 *hint*. Not to mention Samsung purposely didn't advertise the fact *hint*. So logic says yes it's there and for some reason carriers are playing the "we didn't know" game and prefer to force you to use your data so it would seem. Since voice, and text is unlimited nowadays. I've called Verizon and even their reps are advertising it doesn't exist for the Note 4. But I know better! xD

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
I recall AT&T unlocking the feature in the near future for the Note 4 *hint*. Not to mention Samsung purposely didn't advertise the fact *hint*.

Wow, that's great news. (And I even thought this ropic was dead, even more so with recent note 5 hipe and all).

Really appreciate your contribution to this and since I'm in Europe and not following US mobile tech events, if you could just let us know whether or not AT&T unlocking FM ever happens, would mean a great deal.

Still havent rooted my note 4 and moreover I'm in greater doubt than ever before, if it's worth doing it - perhaps time to sell it is near and it unrooted means better resell value.

If I would just know for sure if my specific SM 910F model has real physical inbuilt FM hardware chip, I'd definitely go for it.

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
Look at Nextradio apps supported devices page, find your device in my case Note 4.

As you said, it is there but only for aprint , boost and vergin. I'm Orange.

uploadfromtaptalk1449643694913.jpg

Ci2e

Dec 16, 2011

View attachment 3569984

This only means those carriers are enabling the FM chip. Boost and Virgin both use Sprint towers I believe so they all have Sprint hardware with their own front end.

*You all should take into account that I'm merely researching and interpreting it all to my logic. It may differ from yours.

Last edited:

Eva Brown

Jul 9, 2016
What would be the case if I bought my Note 4 phone unlocked, from an electronics sales Samsung representative (not from a carrier)? is there a way to find out if the hardware is installed?

jonathan.hickey

Jan 10, 2017
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM_N910G with Resurrection Remix 5.8.3 on it. How do I activate it if i do not have any carrier to go too because I live in australia.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Root is required, You could try borrowing the apk for FM radio and the lib files from a "sprinter" and placing in your system. Thats the place to start.

Unless a Boost Mobile, Sprint, or Virgin Mobile version of a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 differs from a AT&T or Verizon version then I highly doubt any version of the Note 4 is lacking an FM radio chip. I recall AT&T unlocking the feature in the near future for the Note 4 *hint*. Not to mention Samsung purposely didn't advertise the fact *hint*. So logic says yes it's there and for some reason carriers are playing the "we didn't know" game and prefer to force you to use your data so it would seem. Since voice, and text is unlimited nowadays. I've called Verizon and even their reps are advertising it doesn't exist for the Note 4. But I know better! xD

View attachment 3569984

This only means those carriers are enabling the FM chip. Boost and Virgin both use Sprint towers I believe so they all have Sprint hardware with their own front end.

*You all should take into account that I'm merely researching and interpreting it all to my logic. It may differ from yours.