Question Does This Concern Anyone Else?

Search This thread

jenneh

Question,

Why Did Nokia Just Backdoor My Phone for "Feedback"?

Did anyone else receive this message?

Does this Concern You?

Screenshot_20220414-045312.png
Screenshot_20220414-045410.png

Screenshot_20220414-045426.png

TLDR: Apparently Nokia and/ OR Their Vendors Can Arbitrarily Execute Remote Code On Our Devices~!

SPOOKY~!
XD

Last edited:

jenneh

I just find it interesting that we are all knowingly walking around with bombs in our pockets, haha. Except the unaware, that are unaware, that they are unaware.. I showed an older lady at my work today this picture, who didn't know what the word "techie" means, (I said you're not a techie right.. not trying to be rude) and asked her, if her entire phone was randomly took over by this message, would she think twice about it? Of course not. It's so interesting~!

Killllmeee999

Apr 15, 2022
Oh and for anyone Interested. I purchased this phone, after researching what options I have available at my local bestbuy, vs those which haven't already successfully been "hacked", or shown some sort of "rooting" method.

I bought this a couple months ago, off of bestbuy in store, but by using an "in person" search of what all was available, On The BestBuy Website, in the store, in my town, and, SPECIFICALLY SEARCHED "Unlocked" Phones.

I felt this phone had decent specs for the price. It was "Supposedly" Unlocked Per Bestbuys' site. Um, hello Bestbuy, we are in 2022, PLEASE LEARN THE SEMANTICS OF "UNLOCKED". Ahem. Thank You.

My main grievance, is that with the "sprout" firmware or whatever is going on in "rsssprout" has entirely removed or obfuscated, the ability to Easily Unlock The Bootloader.

I encourage other g10, g20, g21 users to weigh in yay or nay if they received such "feedback" questions. And thank you @ezbncs for letting me know that "theoretically" the g10 users weren't targeted.

---Please Provide Screenshots if yay, Thank You~! <3

I just find it interesting that we are all knowingly walking around with bombs in our pockets, haha. Except the unaware, that are unaware, that they are unaware.. I showed an older lady at my work today this picture, who didn't know what the word "techie" means, (I said you're not a techie right.. not trying to be rude) and asked her, if her entire phone was randomly took over by this message, would she think twice about it? Of course not. It's so interesting~!
I didn't understand what do you mean by bombs I am happy that you helped an older woman tbh not everyone is tech enthusiasts like you and other experts

jenneh

I just want to tack on some useless thoughts that I find relevant:

I've been studying the "Nokia" G20's internal binary systems for several months, which had 398 systems alone, then the vendor partition had another 256, of which maybe 50 max were redundant, as they were already in the phone's internal binaries...

Further studies showed me that the CPU is of Mediatek Origin, which is the reason why the Bootloader on this specific phone is Weird, and Lacking the Proper systems to be able to Actually Unlock The Bootloader.

To unlock the bootloader, one has to unlock the "Preloader" First, which is something I am not even going to get into here, I'm working on an extensive guide but I am no where near done.

I realize that this is not a new concept, there have been Mediatek Client Cracks for almost a decade now, but...

By saying all that, how do we know What Vendor is actually sending these Remote Commands? Nokia out-sourced specific parts and code and firmware implementation to a third party (mediatek) and goodness knows right now who else...

I mean what does it matter, Right?

Except if the company that was outsourced to is in a country where it could be took over by the state or other bad actors.. but I digress. :cool:

AltFantasy

Aug 18, 2021
Nokia X10/X20

I've been studying the "Nokia" G20's internal binary systems for several months, which had 398 systems alone, then the vendor partition had another 256, of which maybe 50 max were redundant, as they were already in the phone's internal binaries...

Further studies showed me that the CPU is of Mediatek Origin, which is the reason why the Bootloader on this specific phone is Weird, and Lacking the Proper systems to be able to Actually Unlock The Bootloader.

To unlock the bootloader, one has to unlock the "Preloader" First, which is something I am not even going to get into here, I'm working on an extensive guide but I am no where near done.

I realize that this is not a new concept, there have been Mediatek Client Cracks for almost a decade now, but...

By saying all that, how do we know What Vendor is actually sending these Remote Commands? Nokia out-sourced specific parts and code and firmware implementation to a third party (mediatek) and goodness knows right now who else...

Except if the company that was outsourced to is in a country where it could be took over by the state or other bad actors.. but I digress. :cool:
I was going to reply to this a couple hours earlier, but I had to take a short nap, lol.
Anyway, let's start:
This quirk is also on Nokia phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon CPUs though, like the X10. Apparently, according to Hikari_Calyx (who is the developer behind bootloader-unlocking tools for specific Nokia devices, especially Snapdragon ones), Nokia phones' bootloaders are always secured and unfinished (on the retail units), so if you want to get bootloader unlocking, you'll have to try and get a prototype unit instead (which is hard, and requires connections to the Russian mafia). Not so sure for the MediaTek phones though, but their chipsets might be the reason why G-series phones got stuff like official flash files, etc... while X-series ones just don't get anything, at all.

Reactions: jenneh

AltFantasy

Aug 18, 2021
Nokia X10/X20
Oh and for anyone Interested. I purchased this phone, after researching what options I have available at my local bestbuy, vs those which haven't already successfully been "hacked", or shown some sort of "rooting" method.

I bought this a couple months ago, off of bestbuy in store, but by using an "in person" search of what all was available, On The BestBuy Website, in the store, in my town, and, SPECIFICALLY SEARCHED "Unlocked" Phones.

I felt this phone had decent specs for the price. It was "Supposedly" Unlocked Per Bestbuys' site. Um, hello Bestbuy, we are in 2022, PLEASE LEARN THE SEMANTICS OF "UNLOCKED". Ahem. Thank You.

My main grievance, is that with the "sprout" firmware or whatever is going on in "RNN_sprout" has entirely removed or obfuscated, the ability to Easily Unlock The Bootloader.

I encourage other g10, g20, g21 users to weigh in yay or nay if they received such "feedback" questions. And thank you @ezbncs for letting me know that "theoretically" the g10 users weren't targeted.

---Please Provide Screenshots if yay, Thank You~! <3
unlocked? as in bootloader-unlockable? or carrier-unlocked? every single phone seller out there would use the word "Unlocked" to mean that their phones are not locked to a specific carrier/region

jenneh

unlocked? as in bootloader-unlockable? or carrier-unlocked? every single phone seller out there would use the word "Unlocked" to mean that their phones are not locked to a specific carrier/region
Bootloader unlocked haha "and requires connections to the Russian mafia). " I love this part in which you wrote. Yes I am very familiar with Hikari_Calyx's contributions. I am trying to use a method by Hovatek to get to the preloader to unlock the bootloader. I don't know for certain if that is what Hikari does to sell their unlocks or really much about anything, but am having fun learning about mediateks vcom port drivers, the spflash tool, scatter files, etc.

It takes "unlocking the bootloader" to a different level these mediatek / qualcomm devices, and the extra HAL they add... and it caused me to have an off-thought about the manufacturing of these phones' chipsets along with the third party firmware to run the hardware, and decided to solicit it XD haha

I am stuck with no drivers allowing my G20 to be recognized in sptool or this mediatek github repo tool i tried. I'm sure I will figure it out eventually
I took the github repo from here and made it portable for windows users, link in video description

What is causing trouble is there are different versions of the driver like

Drivers MT65xx/MT67xx USB VCOM​

I need one specific to the MT6765, and I cannot seem to find, like, the Actual source of those drivers. I find all sorts of people sharing "mtk drivers" but I want the genesis lol

All tried with unsigned verification off sighhhh
drivers.PNG

Last edited:

AltFantasy

Aug 18, 2021
Nokia X10/X20

Drivers MT65xx/MT67xx USB VCOM​

I need one specific to the MT6765, and I cannot seem to find, like, the Actual source of those drivers. I find all sorts of people sharing "mtk drivers" but I want the genesis lol

All tried with unsigned verification off sighhhh
View attachment 5675689
Have you tried to make a driver out of the Nokia G20's source code? I'm somewhat sure that Nokia have a source code for developing the USB driver for Nokia G20
It takes "unlocking the bootloader" to a different level these mediatek / qualcomm devices, and the extra HAL they add... and it caused me to have an off-thought about the manufacturing of these phones' chipsets along with the third party firmware to run the hardware, and decided to solicit it XD haha
Well, Hikari did say Nokia added in even more security after every single security update...

jenneh

Have you tried to make a driver out of the Nokia G20's source code? I'm somewhat sure that Nokia have a source code for developing the USB driver for Nokia G20

Well, Hikari did say Nokia added in even more security after every single security update...
Yes, in fact.. I made vendor and support accounts in their respective portals on nokia's various different sites to see if there was anything further I could obtain from source from them, but no dice. I mean, the built in android usb works fine for like adb and fastboot, but, and idk what a "COM" device is or what exactly is the "PORT" the VCOM drivers need to bind to, but I do know that the drivers are needed to access that layer in the phone that is deeper than the bootloader now, haha and hopefully in the future I can explain everything coherently when I succeed.

---Going to try this bypass tool now https://github.com/MTK-bypass
making it portable first

Also it's a complete waste of time "engineering" accounts on any Nokia Portals for any other lurkers. Key notes is you need a non gmail account, like those throw away ones, to be able to even register for certain portals, then they will manually review. Seemed to take a day, I tried three different accounts, different access, recieved it all. That is all I will say on that front. Their site is dated and lacking.

Last edited:

AltFantasy

Aug 18, 2021
Nokia X10/X20
Yes, in fact.. I made vendor and support accounts in their respective portals on nokia's various different sites to see if there was anything further I could obtain from source from them, but no dice. I mean, the built in android usb works fine for like adb and fastboot, but, and idk what a "COM" device is or what exactly is the "PORT" the VCOM drivers need to bind to, but I do know that the drivers are needed to access that layer in the phone that is deeper than the bootloader now, haha and hopefully in the future I can explain everything coherently when I succeed.

---Going to try this bypass tool now https://github.com/MTK-bypass
making it portable first
nice, then! I'm pretty sure that you can search up Google about COM devices and PORT binds though

AltFantasy

Aug 18, 2021
Nokia X10/X20
But then.. how would I be able to procrastinate and crap post everywhere? :) I have to say, your confidence has been instilled in me. I will do it now, dangit. I Will Know What A Com Port Is!!

*opens google* :cool:
View attachment 5675707
lol, I'm pretty serious though. Modern Nokia devices are just stupidly hard to crack open, so having someone continuing to go on with their effort to unlock the bootloaders of those phones is really damn nice

• Love

ezbncs

Mar 11, 2014
Redmi 9A
Nokia G10/G20/G21

I will add some info I learned on the g10 I am sure it goes for others too. I was bored a while back so I started searching around and learned of mtkclient, and boy it sent be down a rabbit hole for weeks. I learned about spflash and countless other tools out there bricked and few phones a long the way all in the name of science :)

You sound pretty smart so you may already know this information, but I will lay it out in the name of disclosure for others. My limited knowledge while learning this phone is that you will have to open her up to reach the internal components if you want too get to the preloader. Some engineer got the bright idea to patch brom/preloader mode as most know it with key combinations. So you will need the proper cables, tools, and test points to get to preloader mode which I don't have there stuck on a boat somewhere from china.

I wish anyone working to get this bootloader unlocked or rooting this phone good luck out there and keep the fight up. I will also add I would be glad to test any methods if need be for others if you find anything interesting please just remember I have limited knowledge on this stuff.

• Love

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please, lets keep it on topic and with respect to all
    Thanks for your cooperation
    Nope no message on my g10 but it doesnt suprise me at all. Then again a cellphone is just one big tracking tool so its expected.
    update I got the feedback message today on my g10 too. I wish I could root this thing hopefully soon someone will. My g10 runs Nokia/Rogue_00WW/ROGA_sprout
    update I got the feedback message today on my g10 too. I wish I could root this thing hopefully soon someone will. My g10 runs Nokia/Rogue_00WW/ROGA_sprout
    I also met this feedback message on my Nokia X10 (which is a totally different device from the G10). Seem like this problem is everywhere in those Nokia phones

I was going to reply to this a couple hours earlier, but I had to take a short nap, lol.
    Anyway, let's start:
    This quirk is also on Nokia phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon CPUs though, like the X10. Apparently, according to Hikari_Calyx (who is the developer behind bootloader-unlocking tools for specific Nokia devices, especially Snapdragon ones), Nokia phones' bootloaders are always secured and unfinished (on the retail units), so if you want to get bootloader unlocking, you'll have to try and get a prototype unit instead (which is hard, and requires connections to the Russian mafia). Not so sure for the MediaTek phones though, but their chipsets might be the reason why G-series phones got stuff like official flash files, etc... while X-series ones just don't get anything, at all.