• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Does this phone has a future for custom ROM development?

Search This thread

LeDiable

Feb 18, 2010
Mumbai
I highly doubt. Don't keep your hopes too high. Look at the Nord CE 5G for a very recent example, in spite of having a Qualcomm proccy.

Oneplus has supposedly lost its charm after becoming Oppo.

Only hope lies for the 9T, if they can somehow figure out a way to keep the temperature/throttling low with the inherently shi*ty 888 and increase the battery life.

Reactions: Kenora_I
It's a bit early to suggest, but the chances of getting a custom rom with official support for Nord 2 is slim. MediaTek is the villain here. Developers cannot obtain the source code [not for free] for MediaTek chipset. Though enthusiasts may port other builds to this device for fun and experiment. Further development and official support is unlikely to happen. Either way let's hope for the best. 😚

Reactions: LeDiable

LeDiable

Feb 18, 2010
Mumbai
It will probably not. I don't have a single example of MTK smartphones with custom roms. Tell me the contrary if it happened, I'm not an expert. Too bad.
Exactly, this should really detract companies from using their proccys but they still go to them for really cheap stuff. And people (((enthusiats))) that buy phones with MTK are really to blame. If people boycott these pathetic closed-ended devices, these manufacturers would be bound to skip such shady manufacturers or pay them extra for their source-code to be released.

I believe the sole reason MTK is cheaper because they don't reveal their source and saves them the cost on extra licensing and stuff. If they did, it might even be more expensive than Qualcomm. Although, recent Qualcomm proccys have been nice little portable electricity using inefficient frying pans, we could still say the future is bright with their market practices being sorted and waiting for the next-next gen, when they switch back to the good'ol TSMC fabrication. Samsung fabrication is really pathetic, everybody knows but they still stick to making processors, makes me sick sometimes.

DREECOL

Apr 26, 2020
I know it just launched.But I just wanted to hear the opinions. OnePlus Nord 2 is pretty powerful phone, but it's a MediaTek Dimensity 1200. Normally OnePlus devices has great development support but as MediaTek device, do you think it will also have ROMs in the future?
Well it depends.People have a misconception that mediatek doesn't support custom roms.But it's not entirely true.Take the case of redmi note 8 pro.It has more than 20 custom roms available and also good gcam support.In the initial stages it was struggling to get a custom rom,due to brick issues.Later developers figured out a way to unbrick the phone ,and now it's easy to unbrick if something goes wrong.
So what I'm saying is just wait for developers to pick this phone and if it becomes popular and if there's a way to unbrick for free ,then yeah surely custom rom developement will be there .

Reactions: ps000000

LeDiable

Feb 18, 2010
Mumbai
Well it depends.People have a misconception that mediatek doesn't support custom roms.But it's not entirely true.Take the case of redmi note 8 pro.It has more than 20 custom roms available and also good gcam support.In the initial stages it was struggling to get a custom rom,due to brick issues.Later developers figured out a way to unbrick the phone ,and now it's easy to unbrick if something goes wrong.
So what I'm saying is just wait for developers to pick this phone and if it becomes popular and if there's a way to unbrick for free ,then yeah surely custom rom developement will be there .
Nah! not going to happen. Sad but true fact. May be one or two lackluster half-baked ROMs here and there but it'll be foolhardy to expect quality stuff coming for this phone.

Plumplum88

Jul 1, 2012
It will probably not. I don't have a single example of MTK smartphones with custom roms. Tell me the contrary if it happened, I'm not an expert. Too bad.
Is it that diffult to verify what you say?
Here is your exemple :
Others exist too...

Plumplum88

Jul 1, 2012
Exactly, this should really detract companies from using their proccys but they still go to them for really cheap stuff. And people (((enthusiats))) that buy phones with MTK are really to blame. If people boycott these pathetic closed-ended devices, these manufacturers would be bound to skip such shady manufacturers or pay them extra for their source-code to be released.

I believe the sole reason MTK is cheaper because they don't reveal their source and saves them the cost on extra licensing and stuff. If they did, it might even be more expensive than Qualcomm. Although, recent Qualcomm proccys have been nice little portable electricity using inefficient frying pans, we could still say the future is bright with their market practices being sorted and waiting for the next-next gen, when they switch back to the good'ol TSMC fabrication. Samsung fabrication is really pathetic, everybody knows but they still stick to making processors, makes me sick sometimes.
"the future is bright with their market practices"...
Are you serious? Qualcomm were condemned many time due to anticompetitive behavior!
Most competitors leaves the market due to patents abuse (LTE, CDMA), not tiny ones : Intel, NVIDIA, Texas Instruments, Broadcom, ST-Microelectronics.
And people like you applause!

Your name is LeDiable...a tiny evil...your master is Qualcomm...by far!

Ask Oneplus is they dont have the sources you're asking for. They have!
Even a deeper access (Mediatek Open Resource Architecture) than the have with Snapdragon : as Qualcomm's Hexagon sources are closes.

mirakle

Dec 8, 2007
Paris
HTC Leo
Moto X 2014

mlgmxyysd

Unlock an OnePlus is very easy, even Nord 2 is no exception. Just enable OEM unlock in the developers settings, then reboot to BootLoader and use the command: fastboot flashing unlock.

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
When should we expect custom roms for Nord 2?
As soon as you build it. 🤣

I would wait on custom recovery, root access, other things first.
Last time I built LineageOS for a new device it was pretty straight forward, but without working TWRP and/or MSM tools I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try flashing anything.

Last edited:

moisthat

Jun 25, 2016
Unlock an OnePlus is very easy, even Nord 2 is no exception. Just enable OEM unlock in the developers settings, then reboot to BootLoader and use the command: fastboot flashing unlock.
I don't have the Advanced Reboot option in developer settings, and when using hardware keys or adb to reboot to bootloader, I get a "the serial is not match, fastboot_unlock_verify ok" message on the screen.

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_2021-08-31-09-48-53-41_948cd9899890cbd5c2798760b2b95377__01.jpg
    OnePlus released Kernel Source for Nord 2

🥰 Happy News

Nord 2 Kernel
    I know it just launched.But I just wanted to hear the opinions. OnePlus Nord 2 is pretty powerful phone, but it's a MediaTek Dimensity 1200. Normally OnePlus devices has great development support but as MediaTek device, do you think it will also have ROMs in the future?

When should we expect custom roms for Nord 2?
    As soon as you build it. 🤣

I would wait on custom recovery, root access, other things first.
    Last time I built LineageOS for a new device it was pretty straight forward, but without working TWRP and/or MSM tools I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try flashing anything.