Does this phones' UI have ads? Do stock apps ask for unwanted permission?

Search This thread

Temp_Quack

Dec 3, 2018
I think to use it, you need to re-install Battery & performance "com.miui.powerkeeper" and Power Detector "com.xiaomi.powerchecker", I am not sure if you will need both or just one of them, you can try.

Thanks reinstalling powerkeeper fixed ' App Battery Saver ' , although ultra battery saver still doesnt work apparently searching around it gets fixed with factory update which I dont want to do so ill live without it I guess

Reactions: cbw

cbw

Dec 31, 2019
Asia
Thanks reinstalling powerkeeper fixed ' App Battery Saver ' , although ultra battery saver still doesnt work apparently searching around it gets fixed with factory update which I dont want to do so ill live without it I guess
HI, Ultra Battery Saver still works on my M3, even after debloating, have you tried to also re-install Power Detector, to see if that works?

I am using MIUI Global 12.0.4.0.

cbw

Dec 31, 2019
Asia
Except xiaomi keyboard / facemoji. Seems like its a system app !
By the way, you can install a keyboard you want to use first, and uninstall that keyboard, by using the adb command "adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facemoji.lite.xiaomi.gp” .

Some of the pre-installed apps can be uninstalled from the Security app, in manage apps.

Temp_Quack

Dec 3, 2018
HI, Ultra Battery Saver still works on my M3, even after debloating, have you tried to also re-install Power Detector, to see if that works?

I am using MIUI Global 12.0.4.0.

I was on 12.0.3, just updated now to 12.0.4

Will try in sometime but I don't really need ultra battery saver Anyway. Must have been something I removed I guess when debloating causing it !

By the way, you can install a keyboard you want to use first, and uninstall that keyboard, by using the adb command "adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facemoji.lite.xiaomi.gp” .

Some of the pre-installed apps can be uninstalled from the Security app, in manage apps.

I tried that adb command after installing keyboard I think but didn't work for me. Will try again !

Anyway, everything works now except I keep getting message sometimes gallery has stopped. Its probably due to something I removed as well !

Phone is butter smooth now though ! Just camera I haven't tried gcam which I will later.

cbw

Dec 31, 2019
Asia
I keep getting message sometimes gallery has stopped
If you have only debloated apps that are safe to debloat, the ones shown in XiaomiADBFastbootTools, debloating shouldn't cause that issue.

My M3 doesn't have that issue after debloating, but the gallery app had another issue of not being able to view photos.

What I did to make it work again was, to update MIUI Gallery manually from apkmirror, after that the app won't open, but I could go to MIUI's manage apps, and choose to uninstall updates of the gallery app, and the gallery app works again after that.

I had to use this method, because MIUI doesn't allow clearing data of the gallery app.

Temp_Quack

Dec 3, 2018
If you have only debloated apps that are safe to debloat, the ones shown in XiaomiADBFastbootTools, debloating shouldn't cause that issue.

My M3 doesn't have that issue after debloating, but the gallery app had another issue of not being able to view photos.

What I did to make it work again was, to update MIUI Gallery manually from apkmirror, after that the app won't open, but I could go to MIUI's manage apps, and choose to uninstall updates of the gallery app, and the gallery app works again after that.

I had to use this method, because MIUI doesn't allow clearing data of the gallery app.

I might have removed extra things from adb other than debloater tool. I already tried doing what u said but gallery still crashes its linked to one of the cloud services I think !

Is there any way to completely remove gallery ? Else I all just reinstall the services linked to gallery !

cbw

Dec 31, 2019
Asia
Is there any way to completely remove gallery ?
If you have installed another gallery app, you can try doing that.

Use the adb command "adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.gallery” to uninstall MIUI gallery, and use the command " adb shell cmd package install-existing com.miui.gallery" to re-install it if needed, I found these commands from this article.

On my phone, I still have Xiaomi Service Framework installed, since I use it to sync my contacts and notes.

I think you can try re-installing it, because in MIUI gallery settings, there are sync cloud photos options.

Temp_Quack

Dec 3, 2018
If you have installed another gallery app, you can try doing that.

Use the adb command "adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.miui.gallery” to uninstall MIUI gallery, and use the command " adb shell cmd package install-existing com.miui.gallery" to re-install it if needed, I found these commands from this article.

On my phone, I still have Xiaomi Service Framework installed, since I use it to sync my contacts and notes.

I think you can try re-installing it, because in MIUI gallery settings, there are sync cloud photos options.

Yup uninstalled gallery had already installed simple gallery pro before , guess will reinstall if there are any issues. just ultra power missing now which i dont care about much .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @n1troV I have been using my M3 for more than one month, I hope that I have answered all your questions.

1. ads anywhere in the UI?

Yes, in all Xiaomi system apps, you have to go through the settings in each of them and choose to trun off "Recommendations", to disable ads for each app.

2. unwanted permission

The calculator in MIUI does not require any permissions, in the settings, the Storage permission is listed, but denied, the calculator can still be used without the permission. There are a lot of pre-installed Google apps. The dialer, messages, and contacts apps are also from Google.
    (Edit: The Taiwanese version uses the original MIUI dialer app and messages app)

3. option to disable gesture based navigation

Yes, it can be changed in the settings, please see the screenshot below.
    Screenshot_2021-01-22-17-23-01-421_com.android.settings.jpg

4. 3rd party keyboard

Yes, it came with Gboard pre-installed, you can install a different keyboard, if you do not want to use it. By default, Gboard sends analytics data back to Google, but that can be disabled in the settings.

I am using the stock MIUI ROM, and the fingerprint unlocking was very slow when I got the phone, but after getting two system updates, now the unlocking speed is faster.

If possible, I suggest that you can use Szaki/XiaomiADBFastbootTools (can be downloaded from GItHub) to debloat the phone with adb, to remove some unwanted system apps like MSA , WMService, Analytics, Chrome and other Google apps.

I used the phone for navigation several times, and the GNSS accuracy is about 4m, it is usually enough, but sometimes if another road is too close, the maps app thinks I am on the other road.

By default, VoWiFi is not enabled on this phone, but it can be enabled by disabling carrier check, using the code *#*#869434#*#* in the dialer.

If privacy is important to you, you can use a private DNS service like AdGuard DNS or NextDNS to block unwanted connections.

The phone is not perfect, but it is still a good phone for its price. If you want to have more RAM and an ultra-wide-angle camera, you can take a look at Redmi 9T, it has almost the same hardware, but it's better, and its price is the same as or similiar to M3's price, depending on which country you are in.

You can ask me if you have any other questions about the phone.
    Thank you very much! You've answered pretty much all of questions I had and then some. I was unaware of the sluggish fingerprint sensor and inaccurate GPS, neither of which are dealbreakers to me, personally.

I've considered 9T too, I actually dig the design language of that one abit more than M3 and there's a slight bump in performance too. It's significantly more expensive compared to the m3 where I live though.

By the way, have you tested read/write performance of the ufs storage on the m3? If you have some free time, please do run passmarks' disk benchmark utility and share some screenshots along with the storage capacity.

Moreover, are there any noticeable lags/frame drops in the UI, delays in app opening? I am not expecting ~$150 phone to perform like ~$1000 flagships but I'd like to know what the general user experience is like.

And thanks for the tips on secure DNS. I was thinking of implementing pihole for network-wide ad-blocking, will look into private DNS services too.

Thanks again for taking your time to write a well-detailed reply, cheers! :)
    @n1troV It takes about 2 seconds for the phone to open an app, I have tested with different apps. I think it's acceptable for the price.

My previous phone had SD625 chip, and M3 has SD662 chip, after changing to M3, I feel that M3 is a lot faster.

There is one thing I forgot to mention, this phone has dual speakers, but when I tried it the bottom speaker is a lilltle louder than the top speaker, I think when I watched review videos of M3, someone also mentioned this problem.

I will test the storage speed tomorrow when I have time.
    If you have some free time, please do run passmarks' disk benchmark utility and share some screenshots along with the storage capacity.

Below is a screenshot of passmark.
    Screenshot_2021-01-23-09-56-53-368_com.passmark.pt_mobile.png

(Edit: The phone has 4GB of RAM, but passmark only shows 3GB)

I have the 128GB version, so the storage is UFS 2.2, the SD card I use is Kingston Canvas Select Plus 32GB.

I also have another screenshot of the CIT mode, it shows the hardware information of the phone.
    Screenshot_2021-01-23-09-22-57-698_com.huaqin.factory.png

To show you what it feels like to open apps and to scroll through Google Play on the phone, I have recorded a video using the built-in screen recorder, it is in the attached zip file.
    Thank you! The ufs storage performance was abit underwhelming though. Have you had an emmc 5.1 based phones in the past? I suppose those chips perform about the same in benchmarks. In fact, having ufs based storage is one of the main reasons I've considered m3 hoping it would help sustain good overall ui performance/snappiness although that does not seem to be the case here.

As for the muffled earpiece speaker; I guess i can pass on that since even higher end phones suffer from the same issue likely due to the fact that there isn't much space in phones with edge-to edge displays and camera hardware to fit a better speaker.

Does this phone support streaming off of popular platforms? There used to be a requirement of some codecs or something along those lines to support drm enabled streaming out of the box iirc, can this one do?

Lastly; if you're in the market for sub $200 phone and m3 and 9t are not your options, what would be your next best pick? Just curious.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone