• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Does USB Tethering work for you on your Mi11 Ultra on 12.5.3 Global/Stable

Search This thread

placebo1978

May 9, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi,
I received my Global Mi11 Ultra yesterday, did the set up, upgraded to 12.5.3 and then wanted it to use as a modem on my Router. I am from Germany and many Germans do use Fitzboxes, my Fritz!Box is the 7590. So, i unplugged my Poco F3 and wanted to use the Mi Ultra instead, it did not work. No matter what I have tried, no.

I tried:

- factory reset
- different cable
- router restart
- USB Debugging

I also connected the phone to a pc to see if the USB is generally working, yes it is. So do you guys have this problem or is it just me?

Is there anything I could try?
Please let me know.

Greetings from Germany
Placebo

Sathelp

Nov 27, 2007
Brean, Somerset
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi,
I received my Global Mi11 Ultra yesterday, did the set up, upgraded to 12.5.3 and then wanted it to use as a modem on my Router. I am from Germany and many Germans do use Fitzboxes, my Fritz!Box is the 7590. So, i unplugged my Poco F3 and wanted to use the Mi Ultra instead, it did not work. No matter what I have tried, no.

I tried:

- factory reset
- different cable
- router restart
- USB Debugging

I also connected the phone to a pc to see if the USB is generally working, yes it is. So do you guys have this problem or is it just me?

Is there anything I could try?
Please let me know.

Greetings from Germany
Placebo
USB tethering works ok on my 12 Ultra using latest EU weekly 12.6.2
I just plugged it in to my PC, set USB tethering on and the windows PC picked it up as an ethernet network, see screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-09-16-48-43-869_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-09-16-48-43-869_com.android.settings.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210609_165249.jpg
    IMG_20210609_165249.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 21

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
I found this fix that worked for oneplus I tested personally on my Mi 11 Ultr with official EEA 12.5.3 firmware and worked for me because I couldn't use it as a 5.0Ghz hotspot, now it is working

Here how you can fix the tethering problem (usb, bt or wifi hotspot)

1) Connect the phone to your pc via usb (debugging)
2) Launch the command prompt
3) Launch command ADB shell
4) Launch command:

settings get global tether_dun_required

If the result is "null" or "1" go to next step
5) Launch command:

settings put global tether_dun_required 0

6) Exit from ADB
7) Reboot your phone and try the hotspot.

I confirm this worked fom me on my global device with unlocked bootloader and official EEA firmaware 12.5.3

placebo1978

May 9, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi xNAPx,

thx for getting back to me. I flashed my phone to the latest stable EU custom ROM 12.5.7. That did not fix the problem. I find that very strange.

Then I tried your approach and got this, when I tried to enter the last command. My result was "null" btw.

command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0

Exception occurred while executing 'put':
java.lang.SecurityException: Permission denial: writing to settings requires:android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsProvider.enforceWritePermission(Unknown Source:30)
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsProvider.mutateGlobalSetting(Unknown Source:5)
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsProvider.insertGlobalSetting(Unknown Source:12)
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsProvider.call(Unknown Source:535)
at android.content.ContentProvider.call(Unknown Source:0)
at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.call(Unknown Source:30)
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsService$MyShellCommand.putForUser(Unknown Source:85)
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsService$MyShellCommand.onCommand(Unknown Source:619)
at android.os.BasicShellCommandHandler.exec(Unknown Source:27)
at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(Unknown Source:4)
at com.android.providers.settings.SettingsService.onShellCommand(Unknown Source:15)
at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Unknown Source:0)
at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Unknown Source:148)
at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Unknown Source:103)
at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Unknown Source:16)

I really do not know what that means. My guess is, I do not have the correct write settings enabled? If so, where or how can I fix this? Please let me know, because I would like to try your method.

Thx and greetings from Germany
Placebo

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
That's fine after you run the command just reboot your phone. Just be aware that the fix doesn't look persistent, switching off the phone for example will delete this setting and you need to run the command again. Another thing you could do is to modify the APN settings and put in connection type the value DUN after supl, for example: internet,mms,supl,DUN. But I haven't tried this myself

placebo1978

May 9, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi again, just tried the whole process again, no luck. My damn, very expensive phone, cant do USB tethering on my router. That is very bad. :(

I could try to hop on the custom EU betas, but I am not in the mood to try that out atm.

Thx for your help.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Well my issue was with the hotspot not seen at 5ghz for me that worked, about usb thetering I can't say, I'm sorry it didn't work for you, try to search on Google,something will come out for sure. Most of the time same issues are find on other android devices

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thx for the feedback.
    I used the unlock tool today, so I have to wait 168 hours from now on and will flash the famous EU ROM. Really looking forward to it, I am still stuck on 12.5.3 :(