Does your Galaxy Nexus reboot itself (or freeze requiring a battery pull) regularly

Reboot or freeze regularly?

• Total voters
Search This thread

curious_yellow_eyes

Apr 12, 2009
If you use Adobe Flash, there will be loads of reboots.
It's strange that my Phone failed to wake up twice every morning, just like it is bricked.

Could it be Flash? I've noticed that mine locks and bootloops (straight to animation, keeps looping till battery dies ) when updating in the market. I thought at first it was just when updating multiple apps at once, but I noticed today it's the Flash update. Uninstalling flash in the market causes the freeze and boot loop too.
I'm completely stock, just rooted. I don't even have cwm yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Just happened again this morning...all I was doing was scrolling my reader widget and then moving between homescreens - things I do day in and day out all the time. Guess how many days it had been since last one? 5!!!

There's definitely a memory leak somewhere. I've decided to turn off Bluetooth when I'm not using it...I usually leave it on 24/7 and I know Bluetooth since it's a kernel extension can easily cause the phone to reboot. Some of my older phones had problems with Bluetooth too so it's possible. I'll try keeping Bluetooth off until I need it and see if I can get it to last longer than 5 days!

tearsinrain

Feb 16, 2012
Just happened again this morning...all I was doing was scrolling my reader widget and then moving between homescreens - things I do day in and day out all the time. Guess how many days it had been since last one? 5!!!

There's definitely a memory leak somewhere. I've decided to turn off Bluetooth when I'm not using it...I usually leave it on 24/7 and I know Bluetooth since it's a kernel extension can easily cause the phone to reboot. Some of my older phones had problems with Bluetooth too so it's possible. I'll try keeping Bluetooth off until I need it and see if I can get it to last longer than 5 days!

I've been keeping Bluetooth off ever since I got my phone in late January and still experienced several spontaneous reboots. Not to counter your point though... just some added info hopefully to help (or further distract) us in this thread..

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
I've been keeping Bluetooth off ever since I got my phone in late January and still experienced several spontaneous reboots. Not to counter your point though... just some added info hopefully to help (or further distract) us in this thread..

Crap not what I wanted to hear. Still mine only reboots like every 5 days so it's not too bad. I'll still try toggling it and are if it makes a difference. I have a crap load of apps installed because of the sale over the holidays so God knows what else could be causing it. I still love this more than any other phone, just wish it was more stable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
Could it be Flash? I've noticed that mine locks and bootloops (straight to animation, keeps looping till battery dies ) when updating in the market. I thought at first it was just when updating multiple apps at once, but I noticed today it's the Flash update. Uninstalling flash in the market causes the freeze and boot loop too.
I'm completely stock, just rooted. I don't even have cwm yet.

No, it's definitely not Flash. I haven't installed it since I got the phone a couple months ago and so far it's rebooted about 6 or so times. Once while my girlfriend was using the phone to record our dogs, twice while just sitting there, once while I was texting through Google Voice, and twice more while I was listening to Pandora at night. They're totally random.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
If you ask me it's a core OS issue or driver issue. It seems to be all over the map with great difficulty finding any common ground amongst people experiencing the issue except the phone itself.

From what I understand 4.0.4 fixes it, hopefully. The issue is highly annoying and seems to happen completely randomly. The only time I haven't had it happen out of the 100 times it must have happened since I've had the phone in late November is when it's sitting there sleeping.

Sent from my GSM Galaxy Nexus on TMoUS using Tapatalk

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
SoCal, USA
I've been running Winner00's pre-CM9 (4.0.3) kang for quite a while, along with Franco's kernels. Two days ago I updated the ROM to the 15 February build and the kernel to the 17.2 nightly. The past two mornings, after the phone's been charging all night, it's been completely unresponsive - appears to have powered down, but it doesn't wake up, even if I try to go into Odin or bootloader mode...I have to pull the battery, after which it boots up fine.

Anyone else seen this?
Obviously, I'll just reflash older versions or go back to my last (3 days ago) nandroid backup. I haven't seen anyone posting on the ROM thread on Droidforums or Franco's kernel thread here, so I just thought I'd mention it.

I do have hotplug_enabled = 1, but that hasn't caused any problems in the past.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
No, it's definitely not Flash. I haven't installed it since I got the phone a couple months ago and so far it's rebooted about 6 or so times. Once while my girlfriend was using the phone to record our dogs, twice while just sitting there, once while I was texting through Google Voice, and twice more while I was listening to Pandora at night. They're totally random.

Let's be clear, it's random to us. It's definitely not random in the cause. There's some bug or bugs out there causing it but it can be triggered under various conditions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mcheda

Feb 16, 2011
I've had the phone for 10 days now. Completely stock. I only had one random reboot, while the phone was completely inert sitting on my desk. Out of nowhere. I've never used bluetooth on it. Verizon gave me an early upgrade because of the constant reboots on my Fascinate. Now, that was constant. At least once a day. Battery pullers. One every ten days is heaven.

cyberpyr8

Jun 15, 2010
Savannah, GA
gplus.to
I have had several reboots too. All of them have been related to a sound event. Spotify will reboot it at some point. I am running 4.0.2 stock unrooted.

curious_yellow_eyes

Apr 12, 2009

OK, it's not Flash. I uninstalled flash with titanium backup and I still get the issue, but I CAN duplicate it by running "update all" in Market, so is it possibly a market issue? Pretty much every nexus has market running..?

b0unceee

Feb 1, 2010
Sydney
Yep definitely not flash. As I said, I could be sitting there at work, then I'll feel a buzz and see the bootloader logo appear on my screen and the phone boots back up.. I think that the frequency has dropped with 4.0.4 though so let's see how it goes! Battery life has also improved on light usage. With normal usage, the massive screen still drains the poor old battery fairly quickly..

KrewCial

Mar 31, 2008
Mine crashes every once in a while ever since I upgraded to 4.0.2. Never had a problem when I was at 4.0.1 though... hope 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 will come soon... :(

4.0.2 sucks, its slower as well.

curious_yellow_eyes

Apr 12, 2009
Hmmm... mine never goes to the bootloader logo, it just returns to the bootanimation.
Also, I know I said 'bootloop' but what I actually meant was 'boots up, then freezes again, then reboots again '

jyar727

Jun 15, 2010
Mine would also reboot at random times. But now its completely dead... I turned it off because my music stop playing and wouldn't restart so I wanted to restart it.. But now it won't start up again. No charging indicator. Battery was at 40% when I shut it down. I have done reset a million times to try to bring it back to life but nothing. Yes I did take battery off and sim and held the power button down for 15s and then tried to turn it on. Did this multiple times and nothing. Yes I have tried the charge reset thing too. NOTHING! My replacement is already on its way but what kind of phone just dies on you because you shut it down? wtf.

Last edited:

Dmtalon

Oct 4, 2007
West Harrison, IN
Mine would also reboot at random times. But now its completely dead... I turned it off because my music stop playing and wouldn't restart so I wanted to restart it.. But now it won't start up again. No charging indicator. Battery was at 40% when I shut it down. I have done reset a million times to try to bring it back to life but nothing. Yes I did take battery off and sim and held the power button down for 15s and then tried to turn it on. Did this multiple times and nothing. Yes I have tried the charge reset thing too. NOTHING! My replacement is already on its way but what kind of phone just dies on you because you shut it down? wtf.

What charging indicator? Are you talking about a Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

Sent from my Thrive

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you run the battery down to 0% you risk battery failure. It happens to a lot of people who don't know much about lithium ion batteries. Did you run it this low? If so, replace your battery and don't be surprised if it turns on. :) The whole cycling your battery method is a complete sham!

If the battery permanently dies at 0%, then it was a bad battery. A properly functioning control chip should stop output well above the damage point of a lithium cell.

Exception being one of those Windows Phones (Nokia?) that will draw from the battery to light up the screen before it starts charging the cell. That's just stupidity and hopefully that design choice caused them millions of dollars in RMA work under the warranty.

You're right, though, one cannot train/cycle a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery. You can calibrate your phone to more accurately read the remaining %, but that just tells you when it will die, not extend the time it will last.
    You have to download and install Android SDK. It has been a long time so I can't really remember if the adb is part of the SDK installation or you have to download Android Platform and Android Platform Tools.

You will find adb in /path/to/android-sdk/platform-tools. If not, you will probably need to install the Android Platform and Android Platform Tools via SDK Manager (located in /path/to/android-sdk).

After you get the adb, open your command line, write adb and hit enter. It should look like this:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Verze 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Všechna práva vyhrazena.

C:\Users\your-username>adb
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.29

-d                            - directs command to the only connected USB device
                                     returns an error if more than one USB device is present.
     -e                            - directs command to the only running emulator.
                                     returns an error if more than one emulator is r

If you get error message saying that adb is unknown command or not a program, then you will have to modify Path variable and add path\to\android-sdk\platform-tools to the end. How?

Navigate to Start - Control Panels - System and Security - System and click Advanced system settings in the list on left side. In the window choose Environment variables and in the list find one named Path. Double click and at the end put the path.

At this step you should be able to run adb from command line. Connect your phone to the computer via USB and run following command. You should see atleast one device, just like me.
    Code:
    C:\Users\your-username>adb devices
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    0149XXXXXXXXXXX        device

If you can't see any device listed, ensure that you have enabled USB debugging in your phone (you'll find it in Settings - Developer options).

Still no success? Then you probably don't have installed ADB drivers. Open Device Manager, you should see unknown device named Galaxy. Right click and select Update Driver Software. In the window select Browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer. You should see the Android ADB Interface, choose it. That's it! Now try to execute:

Code:
    adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > C:/last_kmsg.txt
    To be honest, I'm really not sure. Some *NIX user will know better :(.
    Reboots: 0

Freezes: 2 on modaco 4.0.4 rom, which i have now removed, had none on stock 4.0.2 and for now none on apex 1.0.2
    Mine happened again this morning, again this time it kept trying to connect to WiFi and had trouble so I really think it has to do with WiFi. I've tried turning off the 5Ghz band so I'm only on 2.4ghz. Doubt it'll help but worth a shot.