Dolphin Gamecube and Wii emulator for android

Search This thread

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Hi all,

Have been tinkering with this emu for a few years now, mostly on PC (which works amazingly well) zelda the windwaker, Mario kart double dash, smash brothers melee, to name but a few great titles all work perfectly on modest hardware

Anyway over the last year or so it's made its way to android, and although it's nowhere near perfect it's definitely coming along, I just wanted to start a thread in regards to it and what peoples experience with it has been..

The emulator runs ISO's from original games, for copyright reasons you should own the original so don't ask for or post places to get rom images here or the thread will be closed and that will be the end of that.

The aim of this thread is to get the most out of the emulator and to see what configurations work best with what games and if we can get anything close to 30fps, which in pc terms sounds horrible but on the gamecube it was definitely playable.. Also just bare in mind that this emulation is very demanding on any system so your battery is going to take a massive hit, also if throttling does kick in, you'll see a drop in performance.. With the right balance of settings and choice of game I believe we can get close to playable.

Has anyone tried the emu? Or have they had any experience with it on android? I know that with the shield it runs near perfect but that is simply due to the cpu /GPU being extremely powerful.

Heres a link to the emulator which is completely free as it's open source.

https://dolphin-emu.org/download

Again please don't link any rom files, any copyright violations will be frowned upon and the thread will be closed.

The emulator supports touch and controllers, multi player is possible and other than the frame rate not being so great with the game I've tried, the games themselves look great.

UPDATE! 04/01/17

Pre-requisites

Root Access
Phone running Android N (have tried this game on Marshmallow and it crashes on the first 3D scene)
A custom recovery capable of flashing files
A legitimate rom file of the game you want to play, for the purpose of this tutorial it's Zelda the windwaker for the gamecube
The ini files (available at the foot of this OP)
*Optional* A notepad editor for android should you want to edit the ini file yourselves.

Installation

To get the emulator to run Windwaker (only game i've fully been testing) at full speed, or extremely close to :)

Install the emulator from this link https://dolphin-emu.org/download open the emulator once to create the folders and files needed, then close it and clear recents.

So long as you own the original game and you have a copy of the it in a ROM / ISO format, have the ROM on your SD card or internal memory.

Attached is my ini config file for dolphin, download this and unzip it, then place this within: /storage/emulated/0/dolphin-emu/Config

Note* You will have to change your rom paths thereafter and once the change has been saved to the ini you will then see your games from then onwards, the ini contains my path and won't work with yours*

Clear recents and open up dolphin.

Once dolphin is open, check that your settings match what I have put on here, then once verified, click the folder icon on the right and then the plus button.

Find your ROM and open it, the initial boot should go to 50 - fps, Windwaker is a 30 fps game, the game once loaded and you're on onset island should be running at 25 - 30 frames per second.

Controls

From installing the emulator, the controls aren't set up, open any game and then pull down on the notification bar and a blue bar will appear with a menu (3 dots) click this then configure controls, move the buttons to represent the gamecube pad, if you have a BT pad then configure this prior to launching the game

Final notes

Bare in mind that this emulator is still in alpha stage and as such, certain things simply won't work, emulation takes a lot more grunt to get this to run anywhere near normal speed so i'm afraid you do have to take the rough with the smooth, new nightlies are released all the time with updated notes attached from the above download link, I'd advise uninstalling and then cleaning up folders from the phone and then importing the ini file over again for a clean install

If anyone finds any fixes, or compatible games they've tried or any tweaks they'd like to share, please do so, i'm bewildered that the gamecube has actually been emulated and to have it on your phone running close to perfect is nothing short of astounding.

Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kokCPb1ylk&t=175s

Attachments

• Dolphin.rar
    1.7 KB · Views: 6,320
Last edited:

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Main screen 1482878324088.jpg

Settings from options within the emulator which I've found to be the best for me.

1482878347434.jpg
1482878423977.jpg1482878432187.jpg1482878442363.jpg1482878452660.jpg1482878460766.jpg1482878467485.jpg

Zelda gets around 20-25 (dips at times to around 15 but no lower)

1482878478274.jpg

MarioKart Double Dash

This game was a 60fps game, on a normal race it's too slow, on time trials however it's not too bad, average frames are around 30-40 fps.

1482878553756.jpg

Reactions: ssojyeti2

twinnfamous

May 31, 2012
sacramento
Very nice to see this I'm gonna give it a go.
Could we set our phones to switch force gpu rendering or something along those lines to get better fps.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Very nice to see this I'm gonna give it a go.
Could we set our phones to switch force gpu rendering or something along those lines to get better fps.
Sort of, open settings from your actual phone and turn on high performance, search within settings if you can't find it. Proper path is in settings, development, high performance...

I'm on the stock kernel but I'll be getting others today to see how they go. By all accounts android N works a lot better in terms of speed than MM.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Another thing which I've noticed is that if you're phone supports open gl es 3.0 then that makes a massive boost to cpu speed, seen a couple of videos showing zelda running at a near solid 30 fps, Afaik the lost of gl es 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 are announced yet our set of hardware doesn't support 3.0 unless it's backward compatible, it supports 3.2 or higher. I need to read more about it.. Not sure if it can be added etc, seems like driver support rather than a limitation of hardware.

Will keep looking.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Just an FYI, not related to topic.

DO NOT FLASH A CM ROM IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN UN-ENCRYPTED, IT ENCRYPTS ON BOOT. Forcing you to then back up, format and then restore and then install your rom again.

If you're encrypted already then fair enough.

Nothing in the cm thread to tell you this it's just "Known"

Anyway, once I've got this up and running again I'll be going through several versions of dolphin and trying to see what yields the best results for Zelda and MarioKart.

Long day ahead of me

Also clean slate if you're on firmware but on N, flashing the same version as your firmware will not boot..awesome.

Guess I need to full update everything.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
N is definitely majorly more optimizer than MM for this emulator.. Getting playable framerates now on zelda and MKDD.. Happy days.. A few iterations of this emu and it'll be running very well hopefully.

Reactions: ssojyeti2

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Been really tinkering with this emu.

Have tried every single combination of settings and in its current state with the newest version (v5.16XX)

Max I can get from onset Island (windwaker) is 15fps which will then fluctuate to 25 and will peak at the max of 30 fps but this is when it's not drawing the whole island, within buildings the fps maxes out immediately but having played this game all the way through I'm aware that more than half of the game is outdoors so 15-25 fps would not be acceptable.

Running MK double dash again, maxes out in certain areas, certainly not in grand prix races, just too much going on..

Need to find the cfg file and lower the resolution, perhaps disable sound, this will massively increase speed, it'll mean sub par resolution and no audio but it'll help with speed.

Reactions: c411umuk

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
After lowering the resolution all the way down to 160x200 I've managed to get a stable 20fps in most places on onset Island, occasionally dropping down to 17fps but quickly going back up.

Going to get another kernel to see if overclocking will give me a little more grunt. Can't find the audio so can't disable it and may not even stop it from emulating anyway, so would be pointless.

Last edited:

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Grabbed elemental with an OS lets see what this bad boy can do. Not expecting any improvement on battery life but I'd love a flat 30 fps on the windwaker. Here goes.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Ok so Elemental X has been extremely helpful, I've managed to get a solid 25fps from the start of onset island, it's running near perfect.

Grabbed ElementalX and installed their CPU/GPU manager from the playstore.

On installation of the kernel I went with the overclocked settings on both little and big cores and the GPU, hasn't really hurt the battery in any way so i'm happy with that for daily use.

On the time I want to run windwaker do the following:

Open settings in elementalX
Change governor to elementalx and cycle to update open governor settings and turn them to activate on boot
Go to CPU options and make sure 1728 on little is set for max, 2265 is set for big, all cores on.
Do the same with GPU options and turn GPU boost to high.

Once done, click on the powerbar up the top of elemental and turn on performance mode
Kill all open apps then in the phones menu, open: settings / development options / High Performance Mode and turn it on.
Also make sure dolphin is not being optimised by checking the option within Apps / dolphin / Battery / Battery optimization / Off

Open the emulator (make sure nothing else is open) and run the game, if it fails, press back and re-run, frame rates should be massively improved.

Bare in mind that this will decimate your battery, and i'm not sure when but throttling will more than likely kick in at some point too.

I'll keep tweaking but this is the best i've seen so far by miles.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Throttled after about 25 minutes then rolled back down to 15-20 fps. Need to lower the oc so it lasts longer. If I can get an hour then that'd be perfect.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Ok so the GPU, high performance modes, not needed, simply install elemental (i've gone with the OC'd version, 1.7Ghz) and turn on high performance mode, this allows perfect gameplay in the vast majority of places on the windwaker.

Only problem is the throttling, so i'll try the lower clock speeds of 1.5Ghz and see how that pans out.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
OK so played through for around 45 mins with GPU boost on high and high performance on ex kernel manager.. When I got to a large outdoor area the game slowed to about 17 fps. Christ, it's never going to be perfect on this device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Have been tinkering with this emu for a few years now, mostly on PC (which works amazingly well) zelda the windwaker, Mario kart double dash, smash brothers melee, to name but a few great titles all work perfectly on modest hardware

Anyway over the last year or so it's made its way to android, and although it's nowhere near perfect it's definitely coming along, I just wanted to start a thread in regards to it and what peoples experience with it has been..

The emulator runs ISO's from original games, for copyright reasons you should own the original so don't ask for or post places to get rom images here or the thread will be closed and that will be the end of that.

The aim of this thread is to get the most out of the emulator and to see what configurations work best with what games and if we can get anything close to 30fps, which in pc terms sounds horrible but on the gamecube it was definitely playable.. Also just bare in mind that this emulation is very demanding on any system so your battery is going to take a massive hit, also if throttling does kick in, you'll see a drop in performance.. With the right balance of settings and choice of game I believe we can get close to playable.

Has anyone tried the emu? Or have they had any experience with it on android? I know that with the shield it runs near perfect but that is simply due to the cpu /GPU being extremely powerful.

Heres a link to the emulator which is completely free as it's open source.

https://dolphin-emu.org/download

Again please don't link any rom files, any copyright violations will be frowned upon and the thread will be closed.

The emulator supports touch and controllers, multi player is possible and other than the frame rate not being so great with the game I've tried, the games themselves look great.

UPDATE! 04/01/17

Pre-requisites

Root Access
    Phone running Android N (have tried this game on Marshmallow and it crashes on the first 3D scene)
    A custom recovery capable of flashing files
    A legitimate rom file of the game you want to play, for the purpose of this tutorial it's Zelda the windwaker for the gamecube
    The ini files (available at the foot of this OP)
    *Optional* A notepad editor for android should you want to edit the ini file yourselves.

Installation

To get the emulator to run Windwaker (only game i've fully been testing) at full speed, or extremely close to :)

Install the emulator from this link https://dolphin-emu.org/download open the emulator once to create the folders and files needed, then close it and clear recents.

So long as you own the original game and you have a copy of the it in a ROM / ISO format, have the ROM on your SD card or internal memory.

Attached is my ini config file for dolphin, download this and unzip it, then place this within: /storage/emulated/0/dolphin-emu/Config

Note* You will have to change your rom paths thereafter and once the change has been saved to the ini you will then see your games from then onwards, the ini contains my path and won't work with yours*

Clear recents and open up dolphin.

Once dolphin is open, check that your settings match what I have put on here, then once verified, click the folder icon on the right and then the plus button.

Find your ROM and open it, the initial boot should go to 50 - fps, Windwaker is a 30 fps game, the game once loaded and you're on onset island should be running at 25 - 30 frames per second.

Controls

From installing the emulator, the controls aren't set up, open any game and then pull down on the notification bar and a blue bar will appear with a menu (3 dots) click this then configure controls, move the buttons to represent the gamecube pad, if you have a BT pad then configure this prior to launching the game

Final notes

Bare in mind that this emulator is still in alpha stage and as such, certain things simply won't work, emulation takes a lot more grunt to get this to run anywhere near normal speed so i'm afraid you do have to take the rough with the smooth, new nightlies are released all the time with updated notes attached from the above download link, I'd advise uninstalling and then cleaning up folders from the phone and then importing the ini file over again for a clean install

If anyone finds any fixes, or compatible games they've tried or any tweaks they'd like to share, please do so, i'm bewildered that the gamecube has actually been emulated and to have it on your phone running close to perfect is nothing short of astounding.

Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kokCPb1ylk&t=175s
    Ok so Elemental X has been extremely helpful, I've managed to get a solid 25fps from the start of onset island, it's running near perfect.

Grabbed ElementalX and installed their CPU/GPU manager from the playstore.

On installation of the kernel I went with the overclocked settings on both little and big cores and the GPU, hasn't really hurt the battery in any way so i'm happy with that for daily use.

On the time I want to run windwaker do the following:

Open settings in elementalX
    Change governor to elementalx and cycle to update open governor settings and turn them to activate on boot
    Go to CPU options and make sure 1728 on little is set for max, 2265 is set for big, all cores on.
    Do the same with GPU options and turn GPU boost to high.

Once done, click on the powerbar up the top of elemental and turn on performance mode
    Kill all open apps then in the phones menu, open: settings / development options / High Performance Mode and turn it on.
    Also make sure dolphin is not being optimised by checking the option within Apps / dolphin / Battery / Battery optimization / Off

Open the emulator (make sure nothing else is open) and run the game, if it fails, press back and re-run, frame rates should be massively improved.

Bare in mind that this will decimate your battery, and i'm not sure when but throttling will more than likely kick in at some point too.

I'll keep tweaking but this is the best i've seen so far by miles.
    Do you have tried emulating Smash Bros. Melee? If it does I'm with you on the testing train :highfive:

Yes i have and it does run, however it's not a respectable framerate.

Personally I've kind of given up on it, I can get certain games to run quite well but others are lacking the fps needed to enjoy them, namely Zelda WW, smash brother does run and can be played but any kind of intensive graphical bumps and you're going to see massive fps drops.

Over time the emulator will see improvements, the SD821 and SD835 will obviously help a lot but for our lonely old 820 i'm afraid we may be left wanting.

I'll check on it from time to time, see how the emu has changed, last i checked the above was all i could get, even when overclocked and for a limited time.

By all means try it out, anything you can get post here with your settings and or ini file so others can share.

Good luck :)
    Main screen 1482878324088.jpg

Settings from options within the emulator which I've found to be the best for me.

1482878347434.jpg
    1482878423977.jpg1482878432187.jpg1482878442363.jpg1482878452660.jpg1482878460766.jpg1482878467485.jpg

Zelda gets around 20-25 (dips at times to around 15 but no lower)

1482878478274.jpg

MarioKart Double Dash

This game was a 60fps game, on a normal race it's too slow, on time trials however it's not too bad, average frames are around 30-40 fps.

1482878553756.jpg
    N is definitely majorly more optimizer than MM for this emulator.. Getting playable framerates now on zelda and MKDD.. Happy days.. A few iterations of this emu and it'll be running very well hopefully.