DONT BY THIS FROM TMOBILE!!

Search This thread

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
I've had my t-mobile tab s7 for a rew days. What I've noticed is that tmo/Samsung has looked the app down so you can't make calls. The Phone.apk is present just not the ability to make calls. Move on to something. Also the oem unlock is missing from developer systems. And to add one last thing. Im unable to send text messages without rebooting the tablet. My model is the T878U. I hope there will be some changes but not holding my breath

Reactions: trhuseby

trhuseby

Aug 26, 2003
Portland, OR
I've had my t-mobile tab s7 for a rew days. What I've noticed is that tmo/Samsung has looked the app down so you can't make calls. The Phone.apk is present just not the ability to make calls. Move on to something. Also the oem unlock is missing from developer systems. And to add one last thing. Im unable to send text messages without rebooting the tablet. My model is the T878U. I hope there will be some changes but not holding my breath

Same here I purchased one yesterday moving from a wifi version thinking I'm going to be able to sync messages and phone. The apps are there but the setting to sync is not. Very disappointed. I ended up using T-Mobile Digits. It's got to be possible to re-enable calls and text syncing... Maybe root required?

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
Same here I purchased one yesterday moving from a wifi version thinking I'm going to be able to sync messages and phone. The apps are there but the setting to sync is not. Very disappointed. I ended up using T-Mobile Digits. It's got to be possible to re-enable calls and text syncing... Maybe root required?
I think at this point unless we complain to samsung via the member app enough, it would only be through a custom rom. Its a shame really. Right now I would settle for just getting the text message function working right. It wont send out messages until after I reboot the tablet

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
So root isn't possible on the T-Mobile version?
I haven't even tried it yet. I know ianmacd has several tools to manipulate the tablet but not confident enough to try them. Ive also seen where he has gts7l (s7 5g) twrp source on his github, but not sure if he is ready for that to be released or if he even still have the tablet. I know that he also has a 7+

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
Can you not download the Google Pone App? Works for me :)
Yes i can and it does work. But still I was hoping for them to make the tablet itself natively work this way. Just dont understand why they wouldnt. So now that would mean i have two lines that I can text from, but only one can make or take calls. Either way, I hope there is someone who has the tablet for tmo and can tell me that it still CAN be rooted and flashed with custom roms. Im so hoping. If not it will be the last time EVER i buy carrier ANYTHING!!

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
I haven't even tried it yet. I know ianmacd has several tools to manipulate the tablet but not confident enough to try them. Ive also seen where he has gts7l (s7 5g) twrp source on his github, but not sure if he is ready for that to be released or if he even still have the tablet. I know that he also has a 7+

Well if there's no unlock bootloader option then there's no way to get root as that's mandatory to patch the boot.

The only way might be to pay for an unofficial bootloader like you have to for the phones if the tab7 is even supported by the Chinese outfit that does this.

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
So i spoke to tmobile the other and from what i was told that their tablet devices come unlocked (ie no need for the toggle as its unlocked), but will not work unless you have the tab paid off or paid full price at purchase. Is there anyone watching that has the tab paid off that can confirm this?

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
So i spoke to tmobile the other and from what i was told that their tablet devices come unlocked (ie no need for the toggle as its unlocked), but will not work unless you have the tab paid off or paid full price at purchase. Is there anyone watching that has the tab paid off that can confirm this?

They're uninformed. Went back to other T-Mobile tablet forums, they're all bootloader locked.

Even then, there's nothing they can push to unlock it. That's the way samsung sold it to them as a vendor.

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
They're uninformed. Went back to other T-Mobile tablet forums, they're all bootloader locked.

Even then, there's nothing they can push to unlock it. That's the way samsung sold it to them as a vendor.
The problem is that so so many of the CSRs don't know the difference between network locked vs bootloader locked. Huge difference. As I understand it the TMobile network locking is in fact application based and unlocking can be turned off at Tmo server level. But bootloader locking is totally different

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
The problem is that so so many of the CSRs don't know the difference between network locked vs bootloader locked. Huge difference. As I understand it the TMobile network locking is in fact application based and unlocking can be turned off at Tmo server level. But bootloader locking is totally different
Correct, with tmobile however when they do the network unlock it would also (usually) allow for the oem unlock feature to be available or at least thats how it worked with other devices. With this, it should clear any block from that is set by Tmobile, however we will still need to go through whatever process to unlock bootloader.

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
Correct, with tmobile however when they do the network unlock it would also (usually) allow for the oem unlock feature to be available or at least thats how it worked with other devices. With this, it should clear any block from that is set by Tmobile, however we will still need to go through whatever process to unlock bootloader.

Nope. Never has a US version samsung been able to be unlocked by any push update from a carrier.
The only phone was the sprint Note9 I believe, which was sold bootloader unlocked as it was a very different version.
But they have to be bootloader unlocked from samsung.

Everything else has to be unofficially unlocked using sampnwed.

Samsung is very different than oneplus in them allowing carriers to use tokens for unlocking.

Reactions: Dvalin21

Eminimagic

Apr 11, 2021
DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE FROM VERIZON EITHER. Even though my galaxy tab s7 is unlocked, not only does Verizon do the same as Tmobile but Verizon also blocked T-Mobile 5G bands. I wanted to bring my Galaxy S7 to T-Mobile but T-Mobile 5g bands are blocked by Verizon firmware. Good business sense for Verizon since Verizon has almost zero 5G coverage and everyone who wants 5G is forced to Tmobile. And even though its not the blazing fast higher frequency 5G, its pretty damn damn fast compared to 4G and sadly especially fast compared to the only two competitors. And its almost everywhere LTE is now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dvalin21

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Nope. Never has a US version samsung been able to be unlocked by any push update from a carrier.
    The only phone was the sprint Note9 I believe, which was sold bootloader unlocked as it was a very different version.
    But they have to be bootloader unlocked from samsung.

Everything else has to be unofficially unlocked using sampnwed.

Samsung is very different than oneplus in them allowing carriers to use tokens for unlocking.
    DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE FROM VERIZON EITHER. Even though my galaxy tab s7 is unlocked, not only does Verizon do the same as Tmobile but Verizon also blocked T-Mobile 5G bands. I wanted to bring my Galaxy S7 to T-Mobile but T-Mobile 5g bands are blocked by Verizon firmware. Good business sense for Verizon since Verizon has almost zero 5G coverage and everyone who wants 5G is forced to Tmobile. And even though its not the blazing fast higher frequency 5G, its pretty damn damn fast compared to 4G and sadly especially fast compared to the only two competitors. And its almost everywhere LTE is now.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone