Don't install Demo.apk

Search This thread

sishirbaid

Feb 7, 2013
Milano
www.sishirbaid.com
Can the apk be deleted? I'd hate to accidentally install it! What were HTC thinking?! Is that path only accessible with root?
Well I did this once before (had root access)
But then I realised that it can be done without root access too . That was when I asked a guy at a retail store , he told me that there is a bitten combination you press along with keys from the dailer to install the app

sishirbaid

Feb 7, 2013
Milano
www.sishirbaid.com
@EddyOS I have provided a download link in my post . Hence have linked it if someone without the one browsing through this thread would like to download it onto their device .

An update # there is a saperate package installer called demo app package installer which has the permissions to modify some parts of the filesystem without actually having root access on a device. So we could somehow use this installer to install su binary in the phone ! Helping in a one-click -root process for HTC devices ;)

forrestgumpmd

Jul 3, 2016
Hello Guys!
I know this thread is old but I have bought a phone from EBay (HTC One mini 2) and it had this app already installed.
I did my research and I have found out the following.
At retail stores, they can activate the app via dialing *#*#339999#*#*, then a warning pops up advising not to install it unless you are a seller with the purpose to display the phone or so....
To deactivate the app itself you need to dial *#*#336666#*#*, choose Factory Reset option and the password should be your Serial Number (S/N) of your device, which you can find in settings>about>Phone Identity.

After you do the factory reset you must have WiFi access and log in your credentials (google+, google account) as fast as possible otherwise the demo.apk installs itself and runs and the thing starts all over again.

I took me a day to suppress the demo.apk, however I did NOT MANAGE to delete it, as it turns out it installs itself on the system directory and that's why a hard reset won't wipe it.

Now basically, I have the Demo app installed on my HTC One mini 2 but as long as I don't press it nothing happens but the annoying fact is that it is still there and can not be deleted, however I have gained access on my phone.

I would advise not to install this app in any way, but if you are in my situation just follow my steps, (it took me about 4 or 5 attempts), and after you suppress the app from autorunning just hide it from the apps list, this way you won't press it accidentally again.
This should work on some other HTC models also.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Could it be the demo video for in-store display?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
    I added a warning in the app section long ago,I installed it on my OneX and it erased both messages and phonebook to replace them with fake ones :eek:
    LOL

i did this after a couple of days of getting my ONE just how i like it..

i wasnt too pleased but hey if your gonna go digging expect to fall into a hole now and again.. LOL

HTC have a mini website about this file giving shop staff a kind of prep talk "your perfect pitch is just a few steps away"

i wont do this again..